Is James Johnson the man to lead us to the ' promised land' or just another 'imposter'.

Is James Johnson the man to lead us to the ' promised land' or just...

Author
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 30 Sep 2020 12:07 PM
General Ashnak - 30 Sep 2020 10:34 AM

While a lot of what you said is true the one thing that I will take issue with is the XI principles. They may sound like motherhood statements but that is exactly the point. They are designed to be a set of motherhood statements that the football community can all agree on (a big task in itself) They shouldn't have a timetable because they are not a to do list.

Any decision being made now though should be held up against those principles.
1) Does the decision achieve anything in line with the principles - if not why are we doing it?
2) Does the decision align to the principles - no - then chances are it is a wrong decision.

The FFA have had three types of CEOs since they began. The John O'Neill style, listen to everyone, ignore and implement what I think. The Ben Buckley/David Gallop style, listen to the Board only, do only their bidding and ignore everyone else.  Everyone has complained about both approaches. JJs approach is different again. The current CEO has only been there for 9 months and is trying to bring an incredibly diverse football community along with him. I think maybe he deserves at least a modicum of patience as he tries an approach that potentially can potentially get everybody pulling in the same direction rather than pulling the game apart.

+1
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

The XI Principles are a wa^k. Firstly someone at FFA should bust our a dictionary to understand what a principle actually is. Definition according to Cambridge,

"basic idea or rule that explains or controls how something happens or works"

Now looking at the FFA "principles" below, its easy to see they are only objectives and not 1 is close to a principle.
Either the clowns at FFA dont know the difference, or more likely they do and decided to use the word "Principle" because it's much sexier than "to do list".

Also, seriously have a look at some of their to do's, could they really be any more basic. Really you need to run a survey to find out our development system is stuffed and needs to be fixed? The lack of players in any of the top leagues isn't enough of a clue already? A new operating model for the AL, really?? Wow, that idea came out of the blue, how'd they come up with that..(cough, cough Normalization Committee)

JJ's only advantage is he can throw in a few sokkah catch phrases which Gallop couldnt which excites the masses, but I wouldnt be holding my breath for anything meaningful to happen

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

While a lot of what you said is true the one thing that I will take issue with is the XI principles. They may sound like motherhood statements but that is exactly the point. They are designed to be a set of motherhood statements that the football community can all agree on (a big task in itself) They shouldn't have a timetable because they are not a to do list.

1) Does the decision achieve anything in line with the principles - if not why are we doing it?
2) Does the decision align to the principles - no - then chances are it is a wrong decision.

The FFA have had three types of CEOs since they began. The John O'Neill style, listen to everyone, ignore and implement what I think. The Ben Buckley/David Gallop style, listen to the Board only, do only their bidding and ignore everyone else.  Everyone has complained about both approaches. JJs approach is different again. The current CEO has only been there for 9 months and is trying to bring an incredibly diverse football community along with him. I think maybe he deserves at least a modicum of patience as he tries an approach that potentially can potentially get everybody pulling in the same direction rather than pulling the game apart.

I want you to be right, I really, really do.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 1:29 PM
The XI Principles are a wa^k. Firstly someone at FFA should bust our a dictionary to understand what a principle actually is. Definition according to Cambridge,

"basic idea or rule that explains or controls how something happens or works"

Now looking at the FFA "principles" below, its easy to see they are only objectives and not 1 is close to a principle.
Either the clowns at FFA dont know the difference, or more likely they do and decided to use the word "Principle" because it's much sexier than "to do list".

Also, seriously have a look at some of their to do's, could they really be any more basic. Really you need to run a survey to find out our development system is stuffed and needs to be fixed? The lack of players in any of the top leagues isn't enough of a clue already? A new operating model for the AL, really?? Wow, that idea came out of the blue, how'd they come up with that..(cough, cough Normalization Committee)

JJ's only advantage is he can throw in a few sokkah catch phrases which Gallop couldnt which excites the masses, but I wouldnt be holding my breath for anything meaningful to happen

This is what I see as well AJF. I have been involved in the corporate world and the political world, this reads like the sort of stuff that gets thrown around when you're floundering.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Seriously guys what else do what JJ to say? Regardless of what is said it’s about action.

Its very easy to whinge when things are not right but the game can’t afford another false dawn.

The game needs unity but most importantly trust in a very diverse community and that has been a failure in the past.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

General Ashnak - 30 Sep 2020 10:44 AM
saweston - 30 Sep 2020 10:38 AM

I hate saying positive things about Gallop, but he came in with a vision and was told in no uncertain terms that he would be doing only what Lowy wanted and nothing else. Of course, he was a spineless coward who accepted his golden handcuffs and settled down at the trough with the rest of them.

We have to remember Lowy wanted him in, he head hunted him for the job.

Which makes it even worse I guess.

But any case Gallop had no idea.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Well put.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 10:01 AM
Barca4Life - 29 Sep 2020 11:55 AM

That isn't strictly correct, FFA was well aware of transfers but it didnt fit in with their strategy for the AL so they didn't implement them. Relevant quote from Gallop below:

“There are no transfer fees between clubs and no loan deals or loan fees between clubs.

“Why do we place these restrictions on our clubs?

“There are three important reasons.

“The first is competitive balance. We want the fans of every club to start the season believing that they can win the championship.

“The second important reason is economic.

The financial model of the A-League means FFA distributes $2.5m to each club – exactly enough to cover the salary cap payments.

“That leaves the club to fund its other costs – coaches, marketing, venues, front office and so on.

“We need to have clubs reaching break-even point and then moving to profitability. The mechanisms are helping achieve that goal.

“The third reason for the mechanisms is to encourage club investment beyond the primary professional squad.

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/gallop-how-australia-can-inspire-chinese-football

Which explains why they tired to brought in the AFL/NRL model where it’s funded fully on massive tv deals which fund the whole sport not just the leagues.

They tired to woo fox sports but clearly their metrics which fox put out clearly fell short and therefore the model failed in front of our eyes.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

General Ashnak - 30 Sep 2020 2:06 PM
AJF - 30 Sep 2020 1:29 PM

This is what I see as well AJF. I have been involved in the corporate world and the political world, this reads like the sort of stuff that gets thrown around when you're floundering.

I hear you, it reminds me of when I do annual reviews with my boss and asks me for my goals for the coming year, I just dress up obvious easy stuff which is part of my job anyway with some fancy corporate words and bingo, get ticked off as complete following year, secures my bonus and boss thinks I had a good year so I get a pay rise. why stress myself with something challenging which would reduce the time I spend on here arguing with certain super coaches, better to create targets that are just a distraction to make it look like I have a tough job and am really busy!

Nine months in and other than stating some really obvious goals and a survey, JJ has done nothing, other than sprouting motherhood statements he has not provided a clear vision of what he wants or where and when he sees the sport going somewhere. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Face it fanbois, he's another dud.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 3:48 PM
General Ashnak - 30 Sep 2020 2:06 PM

I hear you, it reminds me of when I do annual reviews with my boss and asks me for my goals for the coming year, I just dress up obvious easy stuff which is part of my job anyway with some fancy corporate words and bingo, get ticked off as complete following year, secures my bonus and boss thinks I had a good year so I get a pay rise. why stress myself with something challenging which would reduce the time I spend on here arguing with certain super coaches, better to create targets that are just a distraction to make it look like I have a tough job and am really busy!

Nine months in and other than stating some really obvious goals and a survey, JJ has done nothing, other than sprouting motherhood statements he has not provided a clear vision of what he wants or where and when he sees the sport going somewhere. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Face it fanbois, he's another dud.

So whats the alternative then? Serious question.

If not a football person, non-football person, someone from Pluto? Or from this forum?

Otherwise the game has got zilch hope regardless of who is in charge mate.
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)

Barca4Life - 30 Sep 2020 3:57 PM

If not a football person, non-football person, someone from Pluto? Or from this forum?

Just ignore him...he has nothing to offer other than negativity.
AJF
AJF
Pro

The previous head honcho (Lowy) was also a football person and yet that didnt help in sorting out the football issues either.

JJ is beholden to the current board who are pretty useless as well (Staj survey anyone?), so you are correct until they change to a more adventurous board nothing will happen.

I really dont want AL to fail and would prefer it to evolve, but maybe AL failing is the only way for meaningful change to happen, only question is how long can it limp along in zombie mode and how much damage will be done in the mean time.

AJF
AJF
Pro

libelous - 30 Sep 2020 4:16 PM

Just ignore him...he has nothing to offer other than negativity.

other than an opinion and XI to-do's what have you got to offer?

libelous
libelous
Rising Star

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 4:26 PM
libelous - 30 Sep 2020 4:16 PM

other than an opinion and XI to-do's what have you got to offer?

I don’t offer negative opinions for a start although I do feel negative to negativity.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search