Sydney Olympic supporters thread.

Sydney Olympic supporters thread.

Author
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The A League would become a great competition once the true Southern Sydney entity rightfully gain entry into the A League.
What about some of the greats: Rasco, Kat, Theodorakopoulos, Phillips, Bernal, Meyer and yes, malak-Andrea selling peanuts at Lambert Park!
Culture I tell you! It will happen!
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Good luck 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The Olympic fans on here years ago were way more fun and insane than the hellas supporters here today
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Oly play Sydney Utd on 27 Jan. Yet to find out if it is at Belmore. What a match!
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

nothing like those games and APIA ones against either.....
Love Lambert park been going for years just wish that bloody grandstand DA would finally move ahead !!!!!!

Love Football

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Yes indeed, I do remember the days where the umbrella got a workout as well. Belmore is a good sized ground 25k, the right size for yet another 'Sydney Derby' right after an A League entry ofcourse. Some brown paper bags getting passed around the order of the day perhaps. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Can someone please explain to me why a club like Sydney Olympic still doesn't have it's own stadium?

I don't necessarily mean owning the stadium but just a stadium where they're the sole tenant like 90% of every other NPL clubs. 

Where did Sydney Olympic play back in NSL days?
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

robstazzz - 13 Jan 2021 6:24 PM
Can someone please explain to me why a club like Sydney Olympic still doesn't have it's own stadium?

I don't necessarily mean owning the stadium but just a stadium where they're the sole tenant like 90% of every other NPL clubs. 

Where did Sydney Olympic play back in NSL days?

Thought they always had played at Belmore tbh, though I do remember something about Shark Park too towards the end of the NSL.

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

PIFA - 13 Jan 2021 7:05 PM
robstazzz - 13 Jan 2021 6:24 PM

Thought they always had played at Belmore tbh, though I do remember something about Shark Park too towards the end of the NSL.

Lambert Park, then a stint at Leichhardt Oval when they were UTS Sydnet Olympic. They played very briefly at Shark Park then at Belmore Stadium.
Belmore is under utilized, its a perfect storm for Sydney Olympic, a neat stadium.
Upon entry into the A League in the near future, they can play at Kogarah or Netstrata Stadium where Sydney fc are on borrowed time till Allianz in the City is completed. The perfect team for the Southern Sydney basin.
Time to go get some Cappe gear.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

It's more complicated than that. In the early years of the NSL they played all over the place: Pratten Park, Wentworth Park, Sydney Sports Ground, even Lambert Park despite its association with APIA. By the late 1980s they had settled on St. George Stadium, then moved to Leichhardt Oval in the 1990s, then Belmore in the late 1990s, Shark Park in an ill-fated move in the early 2000s, before finishing the NSL at Kogarah. With demotion to the NSWPL they moved back to Belmore and have stayed there ever since.

It's a good location for Olympic's fan base (unlike Cronulla), but is way too big for their needs, even if an NSD materialises and they're a part of it. They desperately need their own suitably sized ground, but achieving that anywhere in their target area would not be easy, and they probably have a decent deal with Belmore, since otherwise it's only used for Bulldogs training and underage matches.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

soccerfoo - 13 Jan 2021 5:48 PM
Yes indeed, I do remember the days where the umbrella got a workout as well. Belmore is a good sized ground 25k, the right size for yet another 'Sydney Derby' right after an A League entry ofcourse. Some brown paper bags getting passed around the order of the day perhaps. 

Nah I think Makris gave up on A league or even NSD and is focusing on getting Xanthi promoted now. At least he has a chance... a very slim one.. to climb the ranks and play in Europe one day.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Who could forget the ‘‘Priceless relics’ that were uncovered from their bins...(one for TWGF users here)

Lolympic as they are affectionately know used to drive their caravan all over Sydney and squat on any patch of grass they could until they got the boot. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Pratten Park, with the race track? Now that was a ground to be seen !
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone... but its a true story... also as I say latter in the post anyone who remembers this guy would love to know what ever happen to him...

I used to follow Blacktown Demons ... AnyWho a kinda hhhhmmmm guy we all sorta knew and he was a Marconi fan who used to go to all Marconi games and he was noted for giving heaps of slack and be very insulting to other teams fans... Given how close the Seven Hills {Gabbie stadium] was to Marconi we used to see him every match we played [ OK we were not that long in the top league] 

One season it was close and we played both Sydney City & SO in close order so we decided to go watch SO play both Marconi & SCity...

BTW would love anyone who remembers to add any other stories about this guy he was huge with a very bushy bread... had a huge / monster gut... would have been at the time my guess mid 40's... time wise 1984 ... it was a time we a Northern & Southern Conference with the top five in each Conference playing off with the two conference winners 

AnyWho, he used to get well within ear shot at the two SO matches we went too... go close to home end and shout... [they ignored him which showed how clever they were or how dump this guy was] and I often wonder was it for the one season only when we went to watch the SO V Mar games... or was he a regular at other games as well..

He would scream at the top of his voice.... quite a number of times during the match .... massive insults at the SO fans I changed my mind about posting it but if there and you remember it was about an Island, a gun and a wolf .... and lots of insults ...

Edited
3 Years Ago by Midfielder
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

It’s nice to dream!

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paulc - 14 Jan 2021 10:48 AM
It’s nice to dream!

and thats the positive, dream......

So glad many of the old founding Clubs are still surviving, no matter your negaitves about them they are/were our foundations and Thankyou to the early migrants.

@ robstazzzz, yer youd think after the type of maoney who have come and gone at SO they would have bought a ground elsewhere suitable for their needs BUT they always kept persisting with Belmore being in their heartland BUT they have/had a battle forever with Canterbury Council and the Bulldogs.
I expect long ago alot of resistance by anglo council workers and the influence from the Bulldogs had them on the back foot to this day.
Why they keep at this is beyound me nowadays for I do recall SO had come to somekind of agreement moving ahead with Council and here is the link
https://footballnsw.com.au/2012/12/07/sydney-olympic-cement-long-term-tenure-with-belmore-sports-ground/
IF its still valid who knows.
Bill Papas tycoon owns SO and just last year announces buying Greek Club Xanthi FC and taking on Poppa etc as some would recall, a little insight on his reasons why.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sydney-tycoon-papas-reveals-radical-plan-to-turn-greek-club-into-aussie-hub
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australian-owned-greek-club-xanthi-fc-looking-to-become-socceroos-nursery-20201017-p565zb.html
"We have a great youth talent pool here in Australia that is wasted, and it doesn't know where to go. We want to prove [that] very quickly through recruiting some A-League players and progressing some youngsters overseas, and certainly now we have the means and the vehicle in Xanthi to be able to demonstrate that."

Papas said that idea was one of many football opportunities to have come across his desk – including in the A-League, where he and fellow Sydney Olympic board member Damon Hanlin once considered buying out the Newcastle Jets.

Papas was ultimately driven overseas by "frustration" at the broken development pathways in Australia, which he has seen first-hand at NPL level, and said it was "much easier" to buy a Greek club and roughly the same price.

"You're talking about an entirely different game," he said. "You're in Europe, you're playing for higher stakes. You're talking about being able to be in control of your own destiny.

"I think the A-League needs to first get its house in order before people feel comfortable about diving in and investing ... there's too many unknown factors around what we can do and what we can't do in terms of driving revenue and player development."

Love Football

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

LFC. - 14 Jan 2021 1:17 PM
paulc - 14 Jan 2021 10:48 AM

and thats the positive, dream......

So glad many of the old founding Clubs are still surviving, no matter your negaitves about them they are/were our foundations and Thankyou to the early migrants.

@ robstazzzz, yer youd think after the type of maoney who have come and gone at SO they would have bought a ground elsewhere suitable for their needs BUT they always kept persisting with Belmore being in their heartland BUT they have/had a battle forever with Canterbury Council and the Bulldogs.
I expect long ago alot of resistance by anglo council workers and the influence from the Bulldogs had them on the back foot to this day.
Why they keep at this is beyound me nowadays for I do recall SO had come to somekind of agreement moving ahead with Council and here is the link
https://footballnsw.com.au/2012/12/07/sydney-olympic-cement-long-term-tenure-with-belmore-sports-ground/
IF its still valid who knows.
Bill Papas tycoon owns SO and just last year announces buying Greek Club Xanthi FC and taking on Poppa etc as some would recall, a little insight on his reasons why.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sydney-tycoon-papas-reveals-radical-plan-to-turn-greek-club-into-aussie-hub
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australian-owned-greek-club-xanthi-fc-looking-to-become-socceroos-nursery-20201017-p565zb.html
"We have a great youth talent pool here in Australia that is wasted, and it doesn't know where to go. We want to prove [that] very quickly through recruiting some A-League players and progressing some youngsters overseas, and certainly now we have the means and the vehicle in Xanthi to be able to demonstrate that."

Papas said that idea was one of many football opportunities to have come across his desk – including in the A-League, where he and fellow Sydney Olympic board member Damon Hanlin once considered buying out the Newcastle Jets.

Papas was ultimately driven overseas by "frustration" at the broken development pathways in Australia, which he has seen first-hand at NPL level, and said it was "much easier" to buy a Greek club and roughly the same price.

"You're talking about an entirely different game," he said. "You're in Europe, you're playing for higher stakes. You're talking about being able to be in control of your own destiny.

"I think the A-League needs to first get its house in order before people feel comfortable about diving in and investing ... there's too many unknown factors around what we can do and what we can't do in terms of driving revenue and player development."

You're such a respectful man LFC, more strength to you son!
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I like Belmore Sports Ground.  Never eat the food from that Team Catering Truck though.  lol. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

ErogenousZone - 15 Jan 2021 5:42 PM
I like Belmore Sports Ground.  Never eat the food from that Team Catering Truck though.  lol. 

If Bill does a Xanthi fc with Sydney Olympic, then Kogarah Jubilee (Nestrata) in Southern Sydney would be more ideal upon A League entry (c'mon Apl get creative), rather than Belmore Sports Ground, in the (inner) south/west of Sydney, technically part of Macarthur fc's zone although you'd need an aeroplane from there to get to Campbelltoen Stadium for a match..lol.
Wonder if entry to two heavily supported teams in South Melbourne and Sydney Olympic would be considered too biased toward the Greek community to have both of them, hypothetically ofcourse. If so, just add some salt, Marconi and Melbourne Knights perhaps. Hello, that's 16 teams now.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

soccerfoo - 15 Jan 2021 5:52 PM
ErogenousZone - 15 Jan 2021 5:42 PM

If Bill does a Xanthi fc with Sydney Olympic, then Kogarah Jubilee (Nestrata) in Southern Sydney would be more ideal upon A League entry (c'mon Apl get creative), rather than Belmore Sports Ground, in the (inner) south/west of Sydney, technically part of Macarthur fc's zone although you'd need an aeroplane from there to get to Campbelltoen Stadium for a match..lol.
Wonder if entry to two heavily supported teams in South Melbourne and Sydney Olympic would be considered too biased toward the Greek community to hav both of them, hypothetically ofcourse? If so, just add some salt, Marconi and Melbourne Knights perhaps. Hello, that's 16 teams now.

This must be Dreamtime in the forum. 

Hellas is too biased towards a single community you are correct. Two FFAs also agree.

In a resort somewhere

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

paulc - 15 Jan 2021 6:04 PM
soccerfoo - 15 Jan 2021 5:52 PM

This must be Dreamtime in the forum. 

Hellas is too biased towards a single community you are correct. Two FFAs also agree.

Hahaha "two FFAs also agree" that wins for the day.......
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search