'I watch more football than AFL' - Perth Glory make Giants star Coniglio their number one ticket...

'I watch more football than AFL' - Perth Glory make Giants star...

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Perth Glory have unveiled their new number one ticket holder as Greater Western Sydney Giants captain Stephen Coniglio.

Despite Coniglio playing a different code, the 27-year-old is a lifelong football fan and has supported Glory for many years.

In fact, after Perth wrapped up the Premiers Plate in 2019, Coniglio celebrated with his own version of the trophy.

While Coniglio makes his living as an AFL star, he's admitted he watches the round ball game more often than the sport he actually plays.

“My coach won’t like me for saying this, but I watch a lot more football than AFL,” Coniglio was quoted by PerthNow.

“I remember countless nights, sleeping over at our cousins' house and waking up in the middle of the night to watch games. We didn’t have any other choice.”

Coniglio unsurprisingly jumped at the chance to represent Glory and also revealed his love for the club's Spanish star Diego Castro.

"Obviously when I found out the news, I happily accepted it," Coniglio told Perth Glory's official website.

"The Perth Glory have been my favourite team for such a long time and I was very quick I must admit to text a few of my cousins to tell them that I was going to be the club's number one ticket holder for this season coming up. It's a great honour, that's for sure.

"It's really a privilige to watch Diego run around every week. I think being a fan of the club for so long, and like I said there haven't always been great times, but what an honour whatever time of day or night to watch him run around in a Glory shirt is something very special."

Glory are the only A-League club yet to play a game this season with their first match currently scheduled to be played at home against Adelaide United on January 20.

Richard Garcia's side finished sixth last season and ended up losing 2-0 against Sydney FC in the semi-finals.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/i-watch-more-football-than-afl-perth-glory-make-giants-star-coniglio-their-number-one-ticket-holder/ccv9ukcz161g14d50owu4fvne

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

It's positive press ..... I guess.  Seems a little pandering, but publicity can't hurt.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

aok - 14 Jan 2021 2:14 PM
It's positive press ..... I guess.  Seems a little pandering, but publicity can't hurt.

He's also a massive Juve fan . Hell a lot of afl players love the round ball and love American sports. Despite what the. Afl media will have you believe 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 14 Jan 2021 4:21 PM
aok - 14 Jan 2021 2:14 PM

He's also a massive Juve fan . Hell a lot of afl players love the round ball and love American sports. Despite what the. Afl media will have you believe 

As professional sports men and women I dont see why anyone would be suprised by this? AFL clubs - players, administrators, coaches, conditioning  and medical staff have all at various times spoken up about their respect and appreciation  for soccer and what they can learn from it. Its the average dinki di, true blue, pie eating AFL bogan who cant stand the wogball not the players.....
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 14 Jan 2021 10:05 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 14 Jan 2021 4:21 PM

As professional sports men and women I dont see why anyone would be suprised by this? AFL clubs - players, administrators, coaches, conditioning  and medical staff have all at various times spoken up about their respect and appreciation  for soccer and what they can learn from it. Its the average dinki di, true blue, pie eating AFL bogan who cant stand the wogball not the players.....

Or the previous generation AFL bogan fans/footballers/administrators that unfortunately influential in media/government/corporations and have the old school view of Wogball. 

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Players in liking other sports shocker.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

especially when he's got a name like Coniglio
and who would ever have guessed that he'd end up being  Juve supporter?! (like 75% of all Italian migrants and their families)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bettega - 15 Jan 2021 6:48 PM
especially when he's got a name like Coniglio
and who would ever have guessed that he'd end up being  Juve supporter?! (like 75% of all Italian migrants and their families)

Oh shit, thats no good. What about having no ethnic affiliations in modern post-Lowey soccer? Can someone at Glory perhaps ask him to change his surname or at least release a statement saying he never spoke Italian at home in front of the bloody SBS with his nono watching the scudetto.  F@ck someone also please check on the Victory KFC guy he may have had a heart attack reading this.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search