Thoughts on MacArthur fc thus far?

Thoughts on MacArthur fc thus far?

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Feel like everyone in the football community has the same opinion about western United. Wondering what the thoughts are on the new boys in NSW?
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Haven't seen them yet because victory haven't played them and haven't watched many neutral games this year. 
Victory will have essentially played everyone else twice by the time we play them,  then we play them twice in 8 days... if they don't put 10 goals past victory they should fold. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

scubaroo - 6 Apr 2021 8:25 AM
Haven't seen them yet because victory haven't played them and haven't watched many neutral games this year. 
Victory will have essentially played everyone else twice by the time we play them,  then we play them twice in 8 days... if they don't put 10 goals past victory they should fold. 

Bloody hell! that is disgusting scheduling 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 6 Apr 2021 8:17 AM
Feel like everyone in the football community has the same opinion about western United. Wondering what the thoughts are on the new boys in NSW?

Who is this MacArthur you are talking about? ;)   Macarthur, however, is going as well as could be expected on the pitch and in the stands they are still getting a trickle of membership sales. Covid has been a real dampener on attendances throughout the league and reduced attendances is the last thing a new club would want.

The real test for the Bulls will be whether they energise community football in the Macarthur and south west Sydney regions and whether they forge a strong connection with the wider football community in the region.  In Macarthur (Macarthur FA 10,000 registered players), football has been on a slow burn with player growth less than the high population growth and in south west Sydney (Southern Districts SFA 8,000 registered players) it has been on a slow decline for some time which is to be expected with the ageing population in older suburbs.  The effect of Covid on last season was a 7% drop in player numbers in Macarthur and a 4% drop in Southern Districts.  Like most of Sydney the region is Rugby League heartland but typical of most of Sydney football player numbers are 5 times that of League.  With no local opposition from elite clubs from other codes the Bulls have the chance to establish football at a level not experienced before.  Time will tell whether they make it or fluff it.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Decent debut, might still end the season with a flourish.

sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

They play decent but not pragmatic and at times ineffectual football, which was to be expected under Milicic. Would’ve liked to see more of young players like Hollman and Ruhs but it’s been great to see Genreau play a lot. With their NPL team in NPL1 and having spanked Sydney United 5-1 on the weekend, I look forward to the development of players like Sepping, Caspers and de Robillard in future seasons. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Nearly two thirds through the season and they are 3rd on the table with only one win away from top spot. Can't complain about that too much, considering the squad didn't exist a year ago. They do get an extra $333k in the salary cap to work with though, so the real test could come next season when they are on the same cap as everyone else (whatever that might be).
The crowd numbers have been lower than I would have expected, but hard to say given the current situation. Crowd numbers are bad across the board. Probably a bit of a 'let's wait and see' approach for many of the locals.
ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

On the pitch, I think they’re building ominously. Within striking distance of top spot arguably without having hit their stride. As others have said, Milicic plays a pragmatic style that maybe doesn’t wow you. But they are solid at the back and now the talents of Benat and Susaeta are coming to the fore.

I’ve enjoyed Genreau (he does seem to have a little nasty streak though) and a few things we’ve seen from Martis. Any injury to Derbyshire might affect their route to goal, though, as we haven't seen much from Najjar or Popovic.

Off the pitch, it’s tough to judge, but I must be in the minority in liking the cowbells!
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

They're doing very well. Not much more to say. 
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Lot to like about them.  Just hope they can build a stronger support base.  Pretty thin the ground at the moment  - expected more.  
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 6 Apr 2021 8:17 AM

Very impressive for a new team. 

At times they have moved the ball pretty quickly when they circulate the ball in Ball Possession. 

They are often very good at one and two touch Possession football. 

Players gave to have good vision, effective movement off the ball and quick handling speed to play like this. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by Decentric 2
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I haven't liked their style, usually too slow in build-up. That said the last few weeks have been an improvement and they are right up there in terms of results. Pretty good results for a new club. With the second airport being built that area's population is set to explode.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I actually think covid was their lucky break as well.
Apart from recruiting good experience with the injection of up and comers covid played in their hands barring buggering up the likely hood of promising crowds.
Derbyshire is proving his worth, and all round the pitch as mentioned good players, despite Federici hicups he's a good keeper.
Other Clubs have been suffering last couple of seasons ie MV, WP lost players after a good previous season and had to recruit for this season and base in the Gong as well prior a hub.
Jets is down down, AU rebuilt with youth started iffy now showing good promise.
PG another to rebuild and tuff starts due to covid.
So yer they are doing well and taking their chance/s.
The mention of NRL heartland is fine and not much of a threat for me, none of them will become AL devotees much whereas stifling the gayfl dollar injection with whats their name is a good thing we have another Sydney football Club.

Love Football

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

A fine addition and hopefully they continue to play well but also engage the community and get a solid foundation.
heyitsrobbie1984
heyitsrobbie1984
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

yeah if it wasnt for this covid19 crap, the club would be thriving
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

patjennings - 6 Apr 2021 5:42 PM
I haven't liked their style, usually too slow in build-up. 

I'm probably biased, but nearly two decades ago, Aussie clubs struggled to build up patiently  from the back, because of our lack of know how.

Hence, I've admired Aussie clubs building up patiently.

I've attended a few FFA seminars where previous  Socceroos from the 1990s and early 2000s said they struggled to do this well enough. Many were desperate for Aussie clubs to hold possession, even in the defensive half, because the Socceroos were so sick of opponents doing it to them. They said it was very difficult to negate, and, very physically and mentally tiring where the opposition had much more possession. Hence, a national curriculum adopted methodology to develop a national style based on a possession game. 

I think Macarthur play like a Spanish team. There is economy of effort in the slow build ups.
Edited
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 6 Apr 2021 10:26 PM

I'm probably biased, but nearly two decades ago, Aussie clubs struggled to build up patiently  from the back, because of our lack of know how.

I've attended a few FFA seminars where previous  Socceroos from the 1990s and early 2000s said they struggled to do this well enough. Many were desperate for Aussie clubs to hold possession, even in the defensive half, because the Socceroos were so sick of opponents doing it to them. They said it was very difficult to negate, and, very physically and mentally tiring where the opposition had much more possession. Hence, a national curriculum adopted methodology to develop a national style based on a possession game. 

I think Macarthur play like a Spanish team. There is economy of effort in the slow build ups.

I prefer slow build up, possession football, to the hit it long to the striker bypassing the midfield crap that some teams play. As mentioned above, I've liked watching Genreau play in the midfield with the Spaniards - he can pretty much play any role - #6, #8 or #10 - and yeah he's got a bit of mongrel about him which I like (kind of like a more skilful Devlin). I also rate Martis & Holman as young Aussie talent - they've both been unlucky to not see more game time & would like to see how Popovic would go with more than just 2 mins at the end of the game. Overall they've been good & I hope their community gets behind them

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

SoccerooFan - 6 Apr 2021 10:59 PM

I prefer slow build up, possession football, to the hit it long to the striker bypassing the midfield crap that some teams play. As mentioned above, I've liked watching Genreau play in the midfield with the Spaniards - he can pretty much play any role - #6, #8 or #10 - and yeah he's got a bit of mongrel about him which I like (kind of like a more skilful Devlin). I also rate Martis & Holman as young Aussie talent - they've both been unlucky to not see more game time & would like to see how Popovic would go with more than just 2 mins at the end of the game. Overall they've been good & I hope their community gets behind them

It might be a case that many Aussies, watch the majority of ther football in the EPL and the Championship.

Possibly the two quickest leagues in the world? The build ups from back to front can often be very quick, featuring   teams turning the ball over a lot, particularly in the Championship.

I hate sounding snobbish, but I laugh at some of the kick and rush football some of the Ch, L1 and L2 teams play. Times have changed. When  commentators suggest for the L1 and L2 teams, when they are pundits at his level, that it is only in the EPL where one can observe teams playing complex playing out structures, most A L teams do this now.

At the same time there have been some Ch teams playing very good football in England in the last few years.
Edited
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Nothing wrong with a possession based game, but honestly if you spend 70% of your time in your own half keeping possession it becomes very tiresome. That said they I did say they have improved in the last few weeks (probably down to their imports having more of an impact). 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Outstanding first season. Susaeta all class and Genreau is class & getting a fair go.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

They have been good to watch as a neutral most of the time. Sometimes too slow to build up. Great first season and I hope the community gets behind them
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I caught a bit of them on ABC last week or the week before .... not a terrible team to watch and I am also a fan of Genreau like you Decentric....
As for your comment:
"I think Macarthur play like a Spanish team. There is economy of effort in the slow build ups."
Sorry mate, I think you have spent too much time attending coaching seminars and video analysis. Where you may see patient build up and possession retention, I see lack of creative space or vision to utilize it.  Spanish team DO NOT, at least to my untrained eye, hold the ball purely to prevent the opposing team from having it like what Macarthur seem to do. There is intent and purpose in most Spanish clubs playing from the back, always looking for the space between the lines and prodding for weaknesses. The dreaded "when pressed play it back to the keeper and start again" mantra that seems to have permeated the soccer scene here over the last decade is one reflective of a lack of belief in the technical abilities of defensive players and/or it has been trained out of them... 
Those cow bells though........  sorry to hurt anyone's feelings but FFS that is bad.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 6 Apr 2021 11:06 PM
SoccerooFan - 6 Apr 2021 10:59 PM

It might be a case that many Aussies, watch the majority of ther football in the EPL and the Championship.

I hate sounding snobbish, but I laugh at some of the kick and rush football some of the Ch, L1 and L2 teams play. Times have changed. When  commentators suggest for the L1 and L2 teams, when they are pundits at his level, that it is only in the EPL where one can observe teams playing complex playing out structures, most A L teams do this now.

Not sure about L1 or L2, but the championship is not what is was 15 years ago. You cant get promoted play counter attacking football... Norwich, Watford, Brentford and Swansea all play out from the back with possession based football.. its not 1995 anymore.

heyitsrobbie1984
heyitsrobbie1984
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 7 Apr 2021 3:51 PM
I caught a bit of them on ABC last week or the week before .... not a terrible team to watch and I am also a fan of Genreau like you Decentric....
As for your comment:
"I think Macarthur play like a Spanish team. There is economy of effort in the slow build ups."
Sorry mate, I think you have spent too much time attending coaching seminars and video analysis. Where you may see patient build up and possession retention, I see lack of creative space or vision to utilize it.  Spanish team DO NOT, at least to my untrained eye, hold the ball purely to prevent the opposing team from having it like what Macarthur seem to do. There is intent and purpose in most Spanish clubs playing from the back, always looking for the space between the lines and prodding for weaknesses. The dreaded "when pressed play it back to the keeper and start again" mantra that seems to have permeated the soccer scene here over the last decade is one reflective of a lack of belief in the technical abilities of defensive players and/or it has been trained out of them... 
Those cow bells though........  sorry to hurt anyone's feelings but FFS that is bad.

Dont worry they annoy me too
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Atm I’m enjoying watching their NPL side play more so than the seniors. They play some very nice swift football.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I knew they would play a heavy possession based game, however it did take away for them to click and probably still is given its their first season but its been good signs for far with some patches along the way too probably their best win was against Adelaide at home.

We also seen some interesting players with high predigress such as Benat and Susaeta, but also we have seen them promote good young Australian talent too in Genreau, Hollman, Ruhs and Rose from NPL2 so its been a good blend so far of their players.

I dont expect them to win it this year but they doing quite if they make the top 6 this season.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Ds98 - 8 Apr 2021 10:02 PM
Atm I’m enjoying watching their NPL side play more so than the seniors. They play some very nice swift football.

They destroyed Sydney United which I didnt expect so credit to their young talent.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Other thing about Macarthur is they’ve been a bit lazy off field. Their social media is at times completely unprofessional and frankly awful, particularly in contrast to Western United who have really stepped it up off field, with charity partnerships, good social media, a radio show, broadcasting all their youth team games. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sportaddict - 8 Apr 2021 11:08 PM
Other thing about Macarthur is they’ve been a bit lazy off field. Their social media is at times completely unprofessional and frankly awful, particularly in contrast to Western United who have really stepped it up off field, with charity partnerships, good social media, a radio show, broadcasting all their youth team games. 

Yeah Diamanti is really fond of the Italians in Australia supporting him
https://mobile.twitter.com/alinodiamanti23/status/1379667439206629377
Lucky he didn't sign for  Victory back then as the poor guy wouldn't understand why his relatives keep getting their Italian flags taken off them at the ground....

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 7 Apr 2021 3:51 PM
I caught a bit of them on ABC last week or the week before .... not a terrible team to watch

Not as bad as a Hellas chant. 

And let’s be honest. You secretly watch more often. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search