9 bidders for AL broadcast rights

9 bidders for AL broadcast rights

Author
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/nine-world-class-bidders-in-market-for-a-league-broadcast-rights-says-lederer
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

yay false hope click bait
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Isn't Hulu the company that produces " the walking dead"?  Oh that is just gold .....
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 9 Apr 2021 11:32 PM
Isn't Hulu the company that produces " the walking dead"?  Oh that is just gold .....

Would lol if hulu get the rights. Since hulu isn't available in Australia due to numerous factors
bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Its not even a click bait headline. If the value of TV deals were fixed then this would be promising. But they arent

The important thing for the A League, and game in general, is the value of the TV deal. Not the number of bidders, or how many fans of other shows watch the same platform
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

9 interested parties is quite impressive given the sport is at its public lowest.

If Lederer can significantly pull something off, I can see the start of a bounce back for football.

In a resort somewhere

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

bluebird2 - 10 Apr 2021 8:18 AM
Its not even a click bait headline. If the value of TV deals were fixed then this would be promising. But they arent

The important thing for the A League, and game in general, is the value of the TV deal. Not the number of bidders, or how many fans of other shows watch the same platform

If there's competition for the rights between different broadcasters then this can drive up their value, since the A-Legue can play the bidders off against each other. It might also give them more flexibility with regards to season schedule. Fox and Stan look pretty firmly in the summer camp, but groups like Optus or DAZN are probably more open to a winter season.
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Which ep do you appear in? 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

AT this point, we have to view it as positive news.
I note it's getting very close to the end of the Fox deal.
Normally, a governing body would have this sorted by now, but I guess there are extenuating circumstances.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Agree its gotta be good news that we have Nine bidders coming off a three year civil war the was full of toxic media .... never ending issues often represented as far greater than what actually were.

Rating finished in the cellar, with falling crowds and the lost of many Football journalist from mainstream media....

So to find the bad as some have in having Nine bidders I find off-putting.... and to me it reflects sadly the way commentary is on Football today, we no longer need the AFL & Thugy League media to put the boot in as we happily do it ourselves...
Edited
3 Years Ago by Midfielder
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

df1982 - 10 Apr 2021 8:28 AM
bluebird2 - 10 Apr 2021 8:18 AM

If there's competition for the rights between different broadcasters then this can drive up their value, since the A-Legue can play the bidders off against each other. It might also give them more flexibility with regards to season schedule. Fox and Stan look pretty firmly in the summer camp, but groups like Optus or DAZN are probably more open to a winter season.

DAZN have done an awful job since winning the broadcast rights to the Thai League, so I'm not sure them winning the bidding process would be a win for the league tbh.

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

9 bidders is fine but there are more factors at play than just the numbers of bidders. For example, Are they all startups like sports flick that don’t have reach? What are they all willing to pay? Are they only broadcasting and we will need to sort production? What are they going to do for marketing? These are the important things.

Technically I could be a bidder and offer $40 for a 4 year contract and have no capability to show the league. But that would mean there are 10 bidders  

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

jaymz - 10 Apr 2021 11:36 AM
9 bidders is fine but there are more factors at play than just the numbers of bidders. For example, Are they all startups like sports flick that don’t have reach? What are they all willing to pay? Are they only broadcasting and we will need to sort production? What are they going to do for marketing? These are the important things.

Technically I could be a bidder and offer $40 for a 4 year contract and have no capability to show the league. But that would mean there are 10 bidders  

It says.......”these are very prominent world class providers”. I don’t think any of them will be offering $40 for the rights, lol.

My tip is that Foxtel will be one of them to get the rights, but not the only one.

In a resort somewhere

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Did you read the article.. Or just wants post doom & gloom crap

It said..

In addition to Stan and Fox - who renegotiated a reduced one-year contract worth $28 million after the COVID-19 pandemic struck - heavyweights like Amazon Prime, DAZN, Hulu, fuboTV and Optus may also be eyeing the competition.

Thats six highlighted big players...
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

The only thing to sell here is the audience "potential" of the A League, because in current stats it would be close to worthless. My guess is that the clubs have tabled a strategy for investing in and marketing the competition, likely over the next 5 years, to support that angle.

It's going to be a hard sell. Fox invested in potential and it didn't work for them.

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)

paulc - 10 Apr 2021 12:03 PM

It says.......”these are very prominent world class providers”. I don’t think any of them will be offering $40 for the rights, lol.

My tip is that Foxtel will be one of them to get the rights, but not the only one.

This would by my guess as well.

Bidders like Amazon Prime can be used by the APL to drive up the price but they won't seriously consider them.

I reckon we could see something like Foxsports and Stan share 3 games a round each. We could also see the a-league on Nine main channel at 5 to 7 pm slot on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Rights would go back up to around $40 mill p.a at least maybe even 45 or 50 if the bidding war is strong enough.

Either which way the a-league has a much brighter future financially. 

charlied
charlied
Pro

Midfielder - 10 Apr 2021 12:36 PM

Did you read the article.. Or just wants post doom & gloom crap

It said..

In addition to Stan and Fox - who renegotiated a reduced one-year contract worth $28 million after the COVID-19 pandemic struck - heavyweights like Amazon Prime, DAZN, Hulu, fuboTV and Optus may also be eyeing the competition.

Thats six highlighted big players...

Which is actually close to the meaningless once the word "may" is used. 
None of us know anything and it's wise to err on the side of caution. 
charlied
charlied
Pro

Jegga7698 - 10 Apr 2021 12:38 PM

Bidders like Amazon Prime can be used by the APL to drive up the price but they won't seriously consider them.

I reckon we could see something like Foxsports and Stan share 3 games a round each. We could also see the a-league on Nine main channel at 5 to 7 pm slot on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Rights would go back up to around $40 mill p.a at least maybe even 45 or 50 if the bidding war is strong enough.

Fox are owned by Murdoch; Stan by Nine Fairfax. You can forget about that combination

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

The Little Doer Carpets TVC - YouTube

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)

charlied - 10 Apr 2021 12:42 PM

Fox are owned by Murdoch; Stan by Nine Fairfax. You can forget about that combination

I don't see an issue at all if they have exclusive amount of games per round?

Are Stan really gonna knock 3 exclusive games a round because of political differences with Murdoch? Especially if they are clearly after summer sporting content?
Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Clearly the APL are bullish here and confident of a good deal.

I'm wondering if this new deal has an expansion clause in it. 

Could we see 2 new teams in the next 5 years bringing us to 7 games a round?
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

PIFA - 10 Apr 2021 10:49 AM
df1982 - 10 Apr 2021 8:28 AM

DAZN have done an awful job since winning the broadcast rights to the Thai League, so I'm not sure them winning the bidding process would be a win for the league tbh.

Do you know what they pay for the Thai League?
Are the rights exclusive?

Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

Jegga7698 - 10 Apr 2021 12:55 PM
Clearly the APL are bullish here and confident of a good deal.

I'm wondering if this new deal has an expansion clause in it. 

Could we see 2 new teams in the next 5 years bringing us to 7 games a round?

LOL!!!!
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

bettega - 10 Apr 2021 12:55 PM
PIFA - 10 Apr 2021 10:49 AM

Do you know what they pay for the Thai League?
Are the rights exclusive?

I don't think the figures were released by the FAT, but it's been speculated that the broadcast deal with DAZN is at a significant discount compared to their previous deal with TRUE. They also paired up with 1Play Sports as a regional broadcaster [to take the games to S'pore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia] via YouTube streams, etc. but the 1Play side of things has been a major failure in my opinion. They've outsourced the commentary to the guys from the Twitter handle Thai League Central, but these guys are: a] incredibly biased, b] unable to get past their bias to give a neutral and honest opinion on the game, (and more importantly) c] not professional commentators, and completely inept at understanding football bar the way they'd analyze games on FIFA or PES.

I honestly think it'd be a blow for Australian football if DAZN were to win the bidding process.

EDIT: I was wrong in saying the Thai League is with DAZN. It appears that a mob called ZENSE ended up winning the bidding process, ahead of DAZN. So I should be blaming all the broadcast issues [inc. the 1Play Sports stuff] on ZENSE! The DAZN bid was for $66m/year according to Football Tribe Thailand.

Edited
3 Years Ago by PIFA
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 10 Apr 2021 7:19 AM

Would lol if hulu get the rights. Since hulu isn't available in Australia due to numerous factors
 it would have been more believable if they had said Paramount+ which is replacing 10'S streaming service
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Jegga7698 - 10 Apr 2021 12:50 PM
charlied - 10 Apr 2021 12:42 PM

I don't see an issue at all if they have exclusive amount of games per round?

Are Stan really gonna knock 3 exclusive games a round because of political differences with Murdoch? Especially if they are clearly after summer sporting content?

Maybe not, but surely highly unlikely.  To say there's no love lost would be an understatement.
WSF
WSF
Pro

Hopefully not foxsports
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

CS - 10 Apr 2021 4:33 PM
Jegga7698 - 10 Apr 2021 12:50 PM

Maybe not, but surely highly unlikely.  To say there's no love lost would be an understatement.

Interesting. Would either of them pay overs to ensure the other one misses out? Are we that much of a commodity to either of them? Interesting questions and possible outcome.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

The A League's the best it's ever been as a specticle in it's history because the clubs have had to give youth a shot.
All the older boys have come back after the Indian experience anyhow. Which ever broadcaster offers decent coin and wants a Winter League, that's us!
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)Rising Star (774 reputation)

It definitely won’t be a summer comp so those bidders looking for filler during the afl/nrl offseason will be given the arse.
The powers that be are not looking to maintain the ‘status quo’. 
For those punters on here who can’t see beyond the end of their nose, there is a brave new world happening.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search