Npl match draws 3.5k

Npl match draws 3.5k

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Preston Lions v Melbourne Victory youth. Apparently attracted 3.5 k and over 11k on YouTube.
Trying to post the links off Twitter

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Good effort all round. Excellent to see a club that has ambitions to get into the top flight putting the hard yards in at this stage of the process.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

After some very difficult years for Preston, their current management seems to be making significant inroads into both infrastructure development and also the club structure. 

It will be interesting to see which clubs end up in contention for a NSD spot and the criteria required. Many clubs seem to be positioning themselves to join, but it will all depend on what the financial model will be to see who can actually afford to enter.

overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

Bring on the second division - clubs to determine their ability to survive on performance only and have ambitions without external (Central Office) influence. Called survival of the strongest.
Promotion to the Aleague (and relegation) then to take place, purely on results. Relegation within 3 years when new (current WU and Mac) Aleague clubs are well established.
Looks like Preston could be well in the mix!
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Showing some of the big NPL Boys how it's done. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

They drew more than the Bulls vs Roar game based on those numbers! That must be a first if an NPL game drew more than an aleague game.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 10 Apr 2021 11:09 PM
Preston Lions v Melbourne Victory youth. Apparently attracted 3.5 k and over 11k on YouTube.

Almost fell off the couch when i saw that turnout.
I went to one of their games back around 2016 and they wouldnt have had 100 people there.

Installing lights and playing Friday nights is a game changer for them. The clowns that ran them into the ground a decade ago are no longer there.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

They had to play an A-League mainstream club to get that. After all they are trying to raise their profile for the NSD.
I remember in the NSL days where only mainstream club participation got 40,000+ capacity crowds in finals.

In a resort somewhere

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

paulc - 11 Apr 2021 11:09 AM
They had to play an A-League mainstream club to get that. After all they are trying to raise their profile for the NSD.
I remember in the NSL days where only mainstream club participation got 40,000+ capacity crowds in finals.

Think you will be surprised in the coming weeks, 99% of the crowd was Preston.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

southmelb - 11 Apr 2021 12:14 PM

Honestly this is good for the sport. If preston can keep drawing more then MacArthur it’s really gonna make them look like spuds 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Who won?
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

soccerfoo - 11 Apr 2021 1:12 PM
Who won?

Preston with a beautiful solo goal 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Were there more MV supporters?
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Great work Preston.

Shows what a well managed club can achieve and start to build with positive momentum.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

crimsoncrusoe - 11 Apr 2021 5:10 PM
Were there more MV supporters?

A few dozen behind one of the goals and that’s it. 3,000 Preston supporters. It’s all on YouTube look at the reaction when they score.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

always a negative for paulc.....

Kudos to Preston.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

JDB03 - 11 Apr 2021 8:53 AM
Showing some of the big NPL Boys how it's done. 

Hahahah showing WU up quite a bit there... they would kill for that sort of crowd.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 10 Apr 2021 11:09 PM

What a stunning crowd at BT Connor... well done to the new committee at the Lions.. Keep rising up the ranks lads, cant wait to get you into the NPL1 to have some of the old rivalry back in the competition.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Apr 2021 9:17 AM
JDB03 - 11 Apr 2021 8:53 AM

Hahahah showing WU up quite a bit there... they would kill for that sort of crowd.

This is how football should be off the field and on it clubs should consistently be trying to outdo each other. It’s good for the sport and a smack on the ass for WU 
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

All well and good if they can get that type of crowd against a Victory or City or WU, but will the fans come out to watch, say a Doveton or Box Hill? 

Both home games they’ve played in NPL3 have been against AL academies.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Ds98 - 12 Apr 2021 10:11 AM
All well and good if they can get that type of crowd against a Victory or City or WU, but will the fans come out to watch, say a Doveton or Box Hill? 

Both home games they’ve played in NPL3 have been against AL academies.

Yeah I get a little bit of that feel too but to be honest I don't think alot of the Preston fans are as anti Aleague as other clubs. I think it is more to do with finally being in NPL and under lights, Friday night cevapi and beer with friends watching the old club run around... paradise. They just seem to be a club that is in tune with its community (playing in Reservoir is almost at the geographical heart of the North Macedonian community here) and have a new board with a passion for getting things done. Ground redevelopment and lights...just recently announcement of govmnt grant...  Its amazing how even just the faint whiff of ambition from some of these old clubs brings about a change in fortunes..  Still hate them but credit where credit is due  they've got a better crowd and bigger stadium than WU will ever have......

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Apr 2021 11:55 PM
Ds98 - 12 Apr 2021 10:11 AM

Yeah I get a little bit of that feel too but to be honest I don't think alot of the Preston fans are as anti Aleague as other clubs. I think it is more to do with finally being in NPL and under lights, Friday night cevapi and beer with friends watching the old club run around... paradise. They just seem to be a club that is in tune with its community (playing in Reservoir is almost at the geographical heart of the North Macedonian community here) and have a new board with a passion for getting things done. Ground redevelopment and lights...just recently announcement of govmnt grant...  Its amazing how even just the faint whiff of ambition from some of these old clubs brings about a change in fortunes..  Still hate them but credit where credit is due  they've got a better crowd and bigger stadium than WU will ever have......

There is a lot of hype around how many spectators they’re getting atm, and rightly so, and that’s what I mean, will that aura about being back in the NPL competitions, die off as they start playing these lesser supported teams. I hope not, but I went to BT Connor back in 2019 when they played a regular season game against Essendon. 
Would’ve been lucky if there were 600 people there. 
I’m not baiting, I’m genuinely curious as to whether the casual fans will turn into full timers. 

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Ds98 - 13 Apr 2021 10:12 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Apr 2021 11:55 PM

There is a lot of hype around how many spectators they’re getting atm, and rightly so, and that’s what I mean, will that aura about being back in the NPL competitions, die off as they start playing these lesser supported teams. I hope not, but I went to BT Connor back in 2019 when they played a regular season game against Essendon. 
Would’ve been lucky if there were 600 people there. 
I’m not baiting, I’m genuinely curious as to whether the casual fans will turn into full timers. 

600 for the division they're in is still good. 3.5k is just nuts. As long as they keep winning and pushing for promotion they should be able to continue the momentum.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Let's face it - they got that crowd because an a-league club was playing.

I am all for Preston, but if it was v westgate or something they are not getting that interest. Doesn't matter how many of the crowd were preston fans, they are going because they are playing MV
Edited
3 Years Ago by tsf
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

tsf - 16 Apr 2021 9:56 AM
Let's face it - they got that crowd because an a-league club was playing.

I am all for Preston, but if it was v westgate or something they are not getting that interest. Doesn't matter how many of the crowd were preston fans, they are going because they are playing MV

They've drawn Oakleigh in  the cup next round... Regardless of where it is played I would expect a bigger crowd than 3.5k....  In fact wouldnt be surprised if it is a bigger crowd than both City and WU combined for the round. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

southmelb - 11 Apr 2021 12:14 PM

I hope they can find someone who can count the attendance!

In a resort somewhere

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

even if they did you'd still knock it paulc.

Anything a positive re NPL is frowned upon by many, no wonder the game in gen doesn't gain the support it needs and deserves.
Part of the prob here in unique Oz, on one hand we have the Pro league clutching at straws after so much money poured into it, on the other hand NPL/Grass roots making ends meet somehow.
Both ends of the scale not getting the exposure and support the game needs more so to show the long time enemies of the game in general, media/other codes etc that we could be a true code against them all.

Love Football

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

LFC. - 16 Apr 2021 6:07 PM

Anything a positive re NPL is frowned upon by many, no wonder the game in gen doesn't gain the support it needs and deserves.
Part of the prob here in unique Oz, on one hand we have the Pro league clutching at straws after so much money poured into it, on the other hand NPL/Grass roots making ends meet somehow.
Both ends of the scale not getting the exposure and support the game needs more so to show the long time enemies of the game in general, media/other codes etc that we could be a true code against them all.

Anything positive in this game seems to be ripped apart.

An NPL3 club getting that crowd is a huge effort, and let’s hope they can continue to progress.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Heart_fan - 16 Apr 2021 9:08 PM

Anything positive in this game seems to be ripped apart.

An NPL3 club getting that crowd is a huge effort, and let’s hope they can continue to progress.

We are not part of the same game bud. Thats the problem. Its always going to be old vs new, us vs them, ethnics vs mainstream, clubs vs franchises, classics vs plastics name it whatever you want or be on whatever side you want there will never be agreement until this is resolved. A fourth tier suburban club (which I hate BTW, have no affiliation with them whatsoever) gets a massive crowd and the complaint is that the crowd is ethnic., according to some they can't even count and the only reason they turned up was because they were playing against 19year old academy kids from the mighty MV..... ffs. In the same breath they welcome an ethnic club from Manchester and can't wait to relocate to a bigger town, stuff the existing customers they can get new ones.... Wonder what would happen if Hajduk Split or Galatasaray  tried to do the same thing? What do you think the headlines would look like then?
paulc
paulc
Legend

The exaggeration in crowd numbers has always been a taking point on this forum even with the ALeague. So consistent with that,  me a smidget of evidence and I might believe that figure.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search