Do we have a better match up then the Sydney derby?

Do we have a better match up then the Sydney derby?

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
That game on Saturday night took me back to 2012.

it just feels like it’s on another level when you have two sets of supporters going at it like that.

the melbourne derby probably needs city to win a few titles and for victory to come up again for us to get a game like that.

does anything compare to Sydney fc vs the Wanderers?

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Saturday was proof there is still plenty of life in it as a contest both on/off the pitch.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Goes to show you how victory's shittyness has fucked up the Melbourne Derby 
maybe if we screw Canberra a 3rd time and let in Brisbane Strikers and Adelaide City as 13 n 14 respectively
So we can get a sort of Derby round going on to blow our loads  on (Geelong and MacArthur can take a bye) 

thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Distance derby is bigger than WSW vs ESFC!
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 May 2021 1:32 PM
Saturday was proof there is still plenty of life in it as a contest both on/off the pitch.

Definitely mate I’d love to attend as a neutral you just see how pumped duke and brucey were when they scored (only saw first half of the match)
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 3 May 2021 2:21 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 May 2021 1:32 PM

Definitely mate I’d love to attend as a neutral you just see how pumped duke and brucey were when they scored (only saw first half of the match)

And the look on Bobo's face when he sent the penalty kick into orbit was priceless!
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Nothing compares to the distance derby.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

wtf does the distance derby have over the derby in Syd or is this a piss take.

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

LFC. - 4 May 2021 2:34 PM
wtf does the distance derby have over the derby in Syd or is this a piss take.

It's a piss take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXixZrFfDtQ

Edited
3 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

If Melbourne Victory weren't so rubbish this year they Melbourne derby would be bigger. 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 4 May 2021 6:48 PM
If Melbourne Victory weren't so rubbish this year they Melbourne derby would be bigger. 

FFA are now focused outside the Aleague tent...  they can see the writing on the wall when it comes to derbys.
https://mobile.twitter.com/FFACup/status/1389359287604899841

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 10:47 PM

FFA are now focused outside the Aleague tent...  they can see the writing on the wall when it comes to derbys.

Is that the team that were chanting "Hellas, Hellas" with their fans at the end of the match?  Asking for a friend.

Member since 2008.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 4 May 2021 11:05 PM

Is that the team that were chanting "Hellas, Hellas" with their fans at the end of the match?  Asking for a friend.

Yeah, actually FFA put that clip up... can you believe it... ? Thank Christ the years of racist rednecks involved in soccer is finally coming to an end...If you watch the clip back, notice the guy orchestrating the blood curdling foreign chant is an FFA stooge.... they love that ethnic "colour and movement" now..... In fact they have been frothing their little corporate panties all night, more engagement on their social media, on a game they haven't even bothered to stream, than they get during the whole cup....
Edited
3 Years Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:24 PM
Munrubenmuz - 4 May 2021 11:05 PM

Yeah, actually FFA put that clip up... can you believe it... ? Thank Christ the years of racist rednecks involved in soccer is finally coming to an end...If you watch the clip back, notice the guy orchestrating the blood curdling foreign chant is an FFA stooge.... they love that ethnic "colour and movement" now..... In fact they have been frothing their little corporate panties all night, more engagement on their social media, on a game they haven't even bothered to stream, than they get during the whole cup....

Cool.  Inclusive too by the sounds of it.

Member since 2008.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Except 1500 attendance at a Monoethnic derby won’t excite the big sponsors but I guess you’re happy with those stats. The A-League derby gets 20,000 and we whinge about it which is understandable I guess given 40,000 was the norm in years gone by.

In a resort somewhere

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

paulc - 5 May 2021 8:07 AM

Except 1500 attendance at a Monoethnic derby won’t excite the big sponsors but I guess you’re happy with those stats. The A-League derby gets 20,000 and we whinge about it which is understandable I guess given 40,000 was the norm in years gone by.

If 1500 doesn’t make them happy I’m sure 900 would.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 5 May 2021 12:25 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:24 PM

Cool.  Inclusive too by the sounds of it.

https://twitter.com/smfcmike/status/1389583643408965634
Notice the Portuguese/Australian fan playing the trumpet ... poor bugger hates all the non-inclusivity.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 May 2021 9:25 AM

Notice the Portuguese/Australian fan playing the trumpet ... poor bugger hates all the non-inclusivity.

Good on ya mate.  You keep pointing them out. I'm definitely going now there's a Portugese bloke there amongst the 99% Greek fans.

Edit:  And to be clear I don't actually care that much about some bunch of Greek Australians that want to support their club.  My overarching point initially was your average punter is not going to go to one of these matches because, intentionally or not, if you're not of Greek (insert any other ethnic based club here) heritage you'd feel like an outsider.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 4 May 2021 6:34 PM
LFC. - 4 May 2021 2:34 PM

It's a piss take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXixZrFfDtQ

I should have triggered that my bad lol, thanks.

Love Football

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

I have Portuguese background & I have followed Australian football since the 70s & never followed a club in Australia in the top tier until I started following Sydney FC.

Monoethnic comment to that was 'poor little Portuguese boy, no one liked you'.

Well now for me, very difficult to feel sorry for a little Greek boy not having a team in the top tier of Australian football.

Caterm
Caterm
Fan
Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)

robbos - 5 May 2021 11:34 AM

I have Portuguese background & I have followed Australian football since the 70s & never followed a club in Australia in the top tier until I started following Sydney FC.

Monoethnic comment to that was 'poor little Portuguese boy, no one liked you'.

Well now for me, very difficult to feel sorry for a little Greek boy not having a team in the top tier of Australian football.

Unfortunately some people on her are bitter because there NPL club was not included in the A/L.
my own club Syd Olympic did not make the cut off, but I still go and support them wen I can, as I support syd fc,I have made a lot of friends from all nationalities in the past 15 yrs out of the a- league, this the diversity of the A/L.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Caterm - 5 May 2021 12:08 PM
robbos - 5 May 2021 11:34 AM

Unfortunately some people on her are bitter because there NPL club was not included in the A/L.
my own club Syd Olympic did not make the cut off, but I still go and support them wen I can, as I support syd fc,I have made a lot of friends from all nationalities in the past 15 yrs out of the a- league, this the diversity of the A/L.

Exactly, I follow Manly in the NPL & also go to Sydney FC with people from many different backgrounds (nationalities) & they too follow a whole variety of NPL teams as well. Some have been fans of those NPL clubs for a long time way before the A-League started but now also follow the A-League.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 5 May 2021 9:28 AM

Good on ya mate.  You keep pointing them out. I'm definitely going now there's a Portugese bloke there amongst the 99% Greek fans.

Edit:  And to be clear I don't actually care that much about some bunch of Greek Australians that want to support their club.  My overarching point initially was your average punter is not going to go to one of these matches because, intentionally or not, if you're not of Greek (insert any other ethnic based club here) heritage you'd feel like an outsider.

OK If you are sure of that then  nothing more I can say.... These "ethnic clubs" are f@cked might as well just fold them up now and tell all the non-ethnic kids to go find an Aleague academy to play for and support.  Ill keep going with my kids, family and friends until the club becomes so monoethnic and unsustainable that it dies completely and then I guess they can either throw me in a coffin or if Im still around prop me up in front of the TV and I can watch EPL....
Muz
Muz
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 May 2021 1:41 PM
Munrubenmuz - 5 May 2021 9:28 AM

OK If you are sure of that then  nothing more I can say.... These "ethnic clubs" are f@cked might as well just fold them up now and tell all the non-ethnic kids to go find an Aleague academy to play for and support.  Ill keep going with my kids, family and friends until the club becomes so monoethnic and unsustainable that it dies completely and then I guess they can either throw me in a coffin or if Im still around prop me up in front of the TV and I can watch EPL....

Far out mate are you thick?  Can you not read?  I said I had nothing against those teams.  Good for them and good for you.  Just don't expect me or the average punter to walk through the door and be enamoured by it.

Malaka.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 5 May 2021 2:14 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 5 May 2021 1:41 PM

Far out mate are you thick?  Can you not read?  I said I had nothing against those teams.  Good for them and good for you.  Just don't expect me or the average punter to walk through the door and be enamoured by it.

Malaka.

A malaka comments on things he/she has no knowledge about.... Walk through the doors one day and then come and report back.
Not what it was like back in 1991, not based on what PAUL C or Vince Rugari tells you, just walk in to  your local Croatian or Greek or Italian NPL club, front up to the bar, order a beer and turn to the guy next to you in English and say "Im new here, how does the team look this year, who should I look out for" 
If the response you get is "fuck off your not one of us" then I am indeed a malaka and this country is so fractured we will never ever unite as one society.

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

No, it's always been the biggest match in the league, recent circumstances has widened the gap. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search