jay O’Shea to glory?

jay O’Shea to glory?

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Some Perth Glory news: Jay O'Shea is being looked at by the Glory as a possible replacement for Diego Castro, through O'Shea's relationship with fellow Irishman Andy Keogh, who is moving into a recruitment role at the Glory.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Source a league scout on Twitter 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

If it happens, it will highlight what I find to be the most f#%ked up part of professional football - simply poaching the best players from other teams every season if they are off contract.

I know 'club loyalty' really has no place in professional sport. It stinks though that poorer/cheaper teams and teams who have already got their marquee players cannot compete with a raid.

As a fan I hate cheering a player on this season then facing them next season. If they are a key component of the team that makes it so much worse.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

His contract is not expiring this year. He still has at least one (maybe two) more seasons on his current contract.
If he is let go by the Roar to go to another AL club, it would be a great shame for the Roar. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Ffs if he's worth poaching attendance his age at his level then the A League is in dire straits 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

someguyjc - 11 May 2022 9:44 AM
His contract is not expiring this year. He still has at least one (maybe two) more seasons on his current contract.
If he is let go by the Roar to go to another AL club, it would be a great shame for the Roar. 

Thanks for the clarification. If we sell him or just let him go, we are idiots.

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Brisbane are annoying for never announcing contract lengths. 99% of clubs in world football do, but they think they’re so clever for withholding that information from their fans. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Bowden - 11 May 2022 10:53 AM
Brisbane are annoying for never announcing contract lengths. 99% of clubs in world football do, but they think they’re so clever for withholding that information from their fans. 

It's a bit of a symptom of not having a proper domestic transfer system. 
That being said, transfermarkt have his contract expiring in 2024.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

someguyjc - 11 May 2022 12:17 PM
Bowden - 11 May 2022 10:53 AM

It's a bit of a symptom of not having a proper domestic transfer system. 
That being said, transfermarkt have his contract expiring in 2024.

Connor Chapman came in to be the CDM. Roar need a Danzaki type at CAM, O'Shea can be replaced.
He can be permanent captain at Glory as well whereas, Aldred is captain at the Roar.
Edited
2 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

soccerfoo - 11 May 2022 2:25 PM
someguyjc - 11 May 2022 12:17 PM

Connor Chapman came in to be the CDM. Roar need a Danzaki type at CAM, O'Shea can be replaced.
He can be permanent captain at Glory as well whereas, Aldred is captain at the Roar.

O'Shea can be replaced, but as one of the leading creators in the league why would we?

It is our lack of a finisher that has had us down these last two seasons. Replacing O'Shea with someone like Danzaki is not an improvement for me and not even close to a replacement for what O'Shea brings. To me, another Danzaki will not actually score more for us - just replace one creator with a different one.

Connor at 6 works for me. O'Shea as a creative midfielder in general (whatever formation that requires) is better for having the good defensive group we will have. I think we saw a bit of that last night against SFC. With Connor in the side, O'Shea had much more involvement and energy feeding our attacks.

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 11 May 2022 2:41 PM
soccerfoo - 11 May 2022 2:25 PM

O'Shea can be replaced, but as one of the leading creators in the league why would we?

It is our lack of a finisher that has had us down these last two seasons. Replacing O'Shea with someone like Danzaki is not an improvement for me and not even close to a replacement for what O'Shea brings. To me, another Danzaki will not actually score more for us - just replace one creator with a different one.

Connor at 6 works for me. O'Shea as a creative midfielder in general (whatever formation that requires) is better for having the good defensive group we will have. I think we saw a bit of that last night against SFC. With Connor in the side, O'Shea had much more involvement and energy feeding our attacks.

With Chapman starting, O'Shea would play further up but he was played further back alot so his creative flair was not maximised. 
Moon didn't get the most out of him. He plays a 442, as do Mariners but a 4 2 3 1 or my favourite 433 means you get more out of the CAM.
O'Shea is probably over Moon. Mariners don't have a standout CAM so its more of a collective effort between the midfielders.
Roar have O'Shea but don't play him as the exclusive CAM so that means he is not trusted by Moon to play as one. I would leave too.
Edited
2 Years Ago by soccerfoo
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I'll say it's one more time only, I promise. If a player of this age and limited abilities is being poached, how far the League has fallen since Ange Ps Roar. It really is dire. 
micdry8
micdry8
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

charlied - 11 May 2022 9:22 PM
I'll say it's one more time only, I promise. If a player of this age and limited abilities is being poached, how far the League has fallen since Ange Ps Roar. It really is dire. 

I dunno how his age is relevant, and Limited abilities? he’s got the second most assists in the league as a centre mid in a 442 system where he is restricted attacking wise, with a team coming 11th that has probably the roar’s worst attacking players in their history. I would recommend watching O’shea before making comments like this, he is class and one of the best central midfielders in the league. would love to see him as an out and out 10. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

soccerfoo - 11 May 2022 3:07 PM
Roar in me Blood - 11 May 2022 2:41 PM

With Chapman starting, O'Shea would play further up but he was played further back alot so his creative flair was not maximised. 
Moon didn't get the most out of him. He plays a 442, as do Mariners but a 4 2 3 1 or my favourite 433 means you get more out of the CAM.
O'Shea is probably over Moon. Mariners don't have a standout CAM so its more of a collective effort between the midfielders.
Roar have O'Shea but don't play him as the exclusive CAM so that means he is not trusted by Moon to play as one. I would leave too.

Watching this last game, O'Shea and Akbari seemed to be working much more in tandem than usual - and both were covering a lot of the pitch.

Moon may have given them both the freedom to cruise the whole midfield and the rewards were pretty clear to see with both of them being much more involved in bringing the ball forward and building towards dangerous attacks.

There were some voices in the crowd who got a bit frustrated with us passing the ball backwards but it seemed to me that we were attempting to control the tempo of the game - especially important because when Sydney got the ball they tended to retain it for longer than I like to see. When we did choose to attack we were able to apply pressure wide easily, and venture into the middle from time to time with some success too. Sydney's compact defensive setup left the wings generally more open but they were not impenetrable to our more direct attacks through the middle when we went that way.

Both O'Shea and Akbari made that happen - with O'Shea's quality and skill so clearly apparent when surrounded by three Sydney players from time to time but still retaining the ball and finding a pass. There will be plenty of attention on him if Roar show any signs of wanting to let him go. He can make things happen from nothing as long as he has a defensive setup behind him that he can trust to do their job.

charlied
charlied
Pro

micdry8 - 12 May 2022 12:01 PM
charlied - 11 May 2022 9:22 PM

I dunno how his age is relevant, and Limited abilities? he’s got the second most assists in the league as a centre mid in a 442 system where he is restricted attacking wise, with a team coming 11th that has probably the roar’s worst attacking players in their history. I would recommend watching O’shea before making comments like this, he is class and one of the best central midfielders in the league. would love to see him as an out and out 10. 

I have watched O'Shae and stand by my comments about how this reflects on the current standard of the A League. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search