'Just poorly placed' - Roar coach unhappy with Australia Cup playoff timing [Comments]

'Just poorly placed' - Roar coach unhappy with Australia Cup playoff...

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
'Just poorly placed' - Roar coach unhappy with Australia Cup playoff timing

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/just-poorly-placed---roar-coach-unhappy-with-australia-cup-playoff-timing-579806

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The timing of the games at the end of the season is correct.  It is just like promotion playoffs only involving the clubs at the other end of the competition.  That there is a short time between the last competition games and these knock out games due to the effects on programming of the pandemic is unfortunate.  Hopefully we won't have that problem in future.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Gyfox - 13 May 2022 11:36 AM
The timing of the games at the end of the season is correct.  It is just like promotion playoffs only involving the clubs at the other end of the competition.  That there is a short time between the last competition games and these knock out games due to the effects on programming of the pandemic is unfortunate.  Hopefully we won't have that problem in future.

Exactly. If they had the play-off games pre-season, the players would not be fully match fit. This way both sides have the best opportunity to be competitive. That being said they probably could have pushed this game to tomorrow arvo or Monday without any dramas.

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Plus the teams that tanked are forced to use all the players who are getting the elbow

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Quite hilarious actually. If we managed to get into the finals would he say they were poorly placed. After all, its the same season and the players are similarly conditioned.

The contracts for players in the APL end on 30 June I believe, so the FA are within their rights to schedule this match now. As mentioned above, its a play off game, as per the EFL playoffs which are occurring now as well.

What is more absurd, is playing the pre-season games in the middle of July. There is no way our players will be in any sort of condition to be playing a game successfully then.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

As far as I read it, Moon is unhappy about the three day turnaround and not even considering that it be put back to next pre-season...?

His concern is valid in a world where a couple of extra days wouldn't have hurt anything. We did play on Tuesday and we are now playing on Friday for what he is treating as a serious competition. Are the teams in the final series going into their games with only three days between? No - Nix are worst and have 5 days between. That is what Moon is unhappy about and I agree. Three days when timing doesn't impact on anything else is stupid and hazardous to already strained muscles.

Personally, it may work out better for lowly placed teams to fail to qualify up front. The games to qualify would occur during pre-season for the most part and be a good hit out against opponents we might not normally face in pre-season. The only risk we would face is embarrassment about getting kicked out before the main competition starts and in that case we would deserve it.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Don’t finish in the bottom four
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 13 May 2022 1:18 PM
As far as I read it, Moon is unhappy about the three day turnaround and not even considering that it be put back to next pre-season...?

His concern is valid in a world where a couple of extra days wouldn't have hurt anything. We did play on Tuesday and we are now playing on Friday for what he is treating as a serious competition. Are the teams in the final series going into their games with only three days between? No - Nix are worst and have 5 days between. That is what Moon is unhappy about and I agree. Three days when timing doesn't impact on anything else is stupid and hazardous to already strained muscles.

Personally, it may work out better for lowly placed teams to fail to qualify up front. The games to qualify would occur during pre-season for the most part and be a good hit out against opponents we might not normally face in pre-season. The only risk we would face is embarrassment about getting kicked out before the main competition starts and in that case we would deserve it.

Qualification for the A-League clubs is based on this year's squad so these elimination games have to be at the end of this season.  Normally there wouldn't be clubs having only 3 days break.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Gyfox - 13 May 2022 7:38 PM
Roar in me Blood - 13 May 2022 1:18 PM

Qualification for the A-League clubs is based on this year's squad so these elimination games have to be at the end of this season.  Normally there wouldn't be clubs having only 3 days break.

The point I had missed was that the losers don't go into the big pool to play through the rounds - knockout stage of the Australia Cup for the two losers in these playoff games.

I don't think Moon was ever saying the games should be played 'next season' - just that there was no reason for the three day turnaround so why was it scheduled that way.

All good now obviously with the win, but still a valid consideration for future games...we can hope.

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

He's probably frustrated the season has ended now - just finding some cohesion with Aldred, Mileusnic and Ivanovic fit. Chapman could be a huge signing for them... if he sticks around for once.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

ctrl - 13 May 2022 11:34 PM
He's probably frustrated the season has ended now - just finding some cohesion with Aldred, Mileusnic and Ivanovic fit. Chapman could be a huge signing for them... if he sticks around for once.

That would be frustrating I agree. 

As for Chapman, yep you are right that he does seem to have a bit of a track record of moving on quite quickly. Hopefully for BR’s sake, he stays around. 

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

It’s absolutely the 3 day turnaround he is questioning after what had been a fast forward finish to the season.
I would question it too.
Poor administration from powers that be ..but are we surprised with that....
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

And now I see the funny side of it - WU have three days to their next final while Victory have had 9 days since they last played.

And WU without Diamanti, Topor-Stanley, and probably their other CB who went off injured on top of the three day turnaround.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 1:06 PM
And now I see the funny side of it - WU have three days to their next final while Victory have had 9 days since they last played.

And WU without Diamanti, Topor-Stanley, and probably their other CB who went off injured on top of the three day turnaround.

On top of that, their "home" crowd will be outnumbered by away fans 10:1.
libelous
libelous
Amateur
Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)Amateur (730 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 1:06 PM

Until the powers that be stop trying to engineer outcomes football can’t be taken seriously in this country.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

What  a  Joke ...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search