Western United vs Wellington

Western United vs Wellington

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Your Saturday night match 
rusty0256
rusty0256
Fan
Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)

And the big question is… will Wellington’s away support be greater than the ‘home’ team Western?  

Would love to see Welly kick their green and black arses.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

rusty0256 - 14 May 2022 12:26 PM
And the big question is… will Wellington’s away support be greater than the ‘home’ team Western?  

Would love to see Welly kick their green and black arses.

Well that’s your question. Most people probably care about the result the people in the crowd 
Georgeg
Georgeg
Hacker
Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)

Mics we’re accidentally on commentating how there is no crowd “more crew than crowd” Hope Wellington win don’t want this nonsense team to go any further. Sadly Western United will probably win 1-0 with nobody caring. 
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Thank god Gallop went fishing where the fish are...
ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

That was a great save by Young. McGarry unlucky. 
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Georgeg - 14 May 2022 6:26 PM
Mics we’re accidentally on commentating how there is no crowd “more crew than crowd” Hope Wellington win don’t want this nonsense team to go any further. Sadly Western United will probably win 1-0 with nobody caring. 

Indeed 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

So is it WU v MV over two legs in the semi's now?
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

huddo - 14 May 2022 8:05 PM
Thank god Gallop went fishing where the fish are...

You can blame Gallop for other things. 
But this shambles falls squarely at the feet of the new FFA board and the club's 

soccer_fan
soccer_fan
Hacker
Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)

Butler99 - 14 May 2022 10:11 PM
huddo - 14 May 2022 8:05 PM

You can blame Gallop for other things. 
But this shambles falls squarely at the feet of the new FFA board and the club's 

Lucky if there was a couple thousand people there. What an utter embarrassment. Western United need to FOAD really.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

aussie pride - 14 May 2022 10:10 PM
So is it WU v MV over two legs in the semi's now?

Yep, and if they play the WU home game at AAMI, it's pretty much two home games for MV. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

A mostly watchable game.

Irritating to see so many giveaways, misdirected passes, and poor decisions throughout the game - hideously annoying the way WU were unable to hold the ball longer than one or two touches at most for the first loooong part of the game.

Both sides have the ability and skill to create fantastic football, and both sides were able to do that at times. It is the part of football that I like seeing most in a game, especially when my own team isn't playing.

Nix lacked the clinical finish that would have made it tough for WU - who showed equal lack of precision and decision making most of the time when it mattered.

Great strike by Piscopo hitting the crossbar. He shone quite brightly for me all game.

Really good saves by both keepers kept the game close - as did the desperation of last ditch defenders.

The one thing that stood out to me for WU - other than how bloody Wales can be so good and so bad at random all throughout a game - was how Garuchio ran into the same space as another WU player countless times. I have no idea who was to blame, but there were a few different players and Garuchio getting in each other's way and really cocking up attacks. Someone hasn't studied the Aloisi playbook well enough.

Sort of happier to have WU through as an Aussie team in our Aussie comp - and I do struggle to support any team with Sotirio in it - but I watch DWH and Young, and I can't evade the feeling that they were 'pinched' from us.

Not an easy win, but a win all the same for WU.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

What an embarrassment for the A League this games was. A PR disaster. The AFL and NRL must be delighted. There was a time that the A League looked to be a genuine threat. Now looks like an AFL practical joke. 

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 14 May 2022 10:44 PM
aussie pride - 14 May 2022 10:10 PM

Yep, and if they play the WU home game at AAMI, it's pretty much two home games for MV. 

Apart from the Roar, never have I supported a team as strongly as I will MV in this match up. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

charlied - 15 May 2022 12:03 PM
someguyjc - 14 May 2022 10:44 PM

Apart from the Roar, never have I supported a team as strongly as I will MV in this match up. 

I like Victory this season.

It is funny how the teams you are happy to see winning can change so much from season to season based on a disliked player or coach leaving (or coming in), or simply the club ethos.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

charlied - 15 May 2022 12:00 PM
What an embarrassment for the A League this games was. A PR disaster. The AFL and NRL must be delighted. There was a time that the A League looked to be a genuine threat. Now looks like an AFL practical joke. 

It will be very interesting if we end up having a WU vs CCM grand final. No way they will be able to sell out AAMI organically. They will need to give away a lot of free tickets to avoid complete embarrassment. They only got 3,376 last night and that's with giving away a bunch of free tickets. That attendance is unheard of for a final in Melbourne. 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

someguyjc - 15 May 2022 1:07 PM

It will be very interesting if we end up having a WU vs CCM grand final. No way they will be able to sell out AAMI organically. They will need to give away a lot of free tickets to avoid complete embarrassment. They only got 3,376 last night and that's with giving away a bunch of free tickets. That attendance is unheard of for a final in Melbourne. 

It’s hard to see what WU do next. 

Surely they must be losing big $$, as I wouldn’t think their roster comes cheap and they don’t exactly get much in game day revenue. 

Without a stadium solution anywhere near on the horizon, I guess they will try and push to play matches at the new training base but it’s going to be hard work to get any engrained support of a decent scale.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Heart_fan - 15 May 2022 1:46 PM

Surely they must be losing big $$, as I wouldn’t think their roster comes cheap and they don’t exactly get much in game day revenue. 

Without a stadium solution anywhere near on the horizon, I guess they will try and push to play matches at the new training base but it’s going to be hard work to get any engrained support of a decent scale.

They have tried buying support with a good playing roster and I think the greatest draw card for them was Diamanti playing.

The less flamboyant style of play they are using now is not grabbing fans (not grabbing my appreciation for one anyway).

I think WU need to have a home and play the open, expansive football that casual viewers, football 'experts' and other team's fans want to see to give people a reason to go since they do not have a free geographic set of fans wanting to become enamoured. Coming well up the table with a good playing roster has not drawn crowds so to me it has to be the lack of a home and the football they are playing that needs to be changed if they want to build more. That and some characters to create and retain a cult following maybe.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Ummmm sorry are they giving away free tickets for finals now?  Seriously curious to hear from anyone who supports these gypsies if they have ever paid for a ticket and if so how they feel about being the o ly sucker that paid in an empty stadium of freebies?
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 15 May 2022 10:49 PM

Ummmm sorry are they giving away free tickets for finals now?  Seriously curious to hear from anyone who supports these gypsies if they have ever paid for a ticket and if so how they feel about being the o ly sucker that paid in an empty stadium of freebies?

You bet ya. I got offered 4 free tickets to yesterday's game and I'm not the only one.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 15 May 2022 10:53 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 15 May 2022 10:49 PM

You bet ya. I got offered 4 free tickets to yesterday's game and I'm not the only one.

I mean I can't talk, South offered free tickets to Celtic fans for Friday  night and about 150 of them rocked up which, I guess made the crowd 1200 to 1400 ish?.... which was decent for a Friday mid season match but thats NPL.......  Finals game, with give away tickets and only 3k ????? Seriosuly that's just like Carlton Soccer club in the 90s...... I know I hate on these gypsies constantly but thats miserable, what exactly are they offering to football in Australia?
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 15 May 2022 10:59 PM

I mean I can't talk, South offered free tickets to Celtic fans for Friday  night and about 150 of them rocked up which, I guess made the crowd 1200 to 1400 ish?.... which was decent for a Friday mid season match but thats NPL.......  Finals game, with give away tickets and only 3k ????? Seriosuly that's just like Carlton Soccer club in the 90s...... I know I hate on these gypsies constantly but thats miserable, what exactly are they offering to football in Australia?

Believe it or not that 3k is actually worse than it sounds. There were a good number of NIX fans at that game. Have a look at the highlights (https://youtu.be/GRU6-vjJdDM) Whole thing is only 2mins, but if you look at 16secs you will see the Nix fans behind the north end goals. Compare that to the WU actives at the opposite end. Not a huge difference.
Also Jamie Young's save at 1:18 is very much worth watching. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

A coaching gig for John Aloisi, 26 jobs for career footballers including a currently injured and very watchable Diamanti, employment for a whole raft of admin and support staff, income for refs, officials and commentators to the tune of an extra game a week, and the entertainment value and opportunity for as much vitriol as anyone wants to dump on them in here and anywhere else they want.

Add to that the immeasurable value to however many individuals there are who call them their side that they have a football team to follow from home if they can't make it to whatever ground they are playing out of week by week.

Magic!

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

someguyjc - 15 May 2022 11:22 PM

Believe it or not that 3k is actually worse than it sounds. There were a good number of NIX fans at that game. Have a look at the highlights (https://youtu.be/GRU6-vjJdDM) Whole thing is only 2mins, but if you look at 16secs you will see the Nix fans behind the north end goals. Compare that to the WU actives at the opposite end. Not a huge difference.
Also Jamie Young's save at 1:18 is very much worth watching. 

Great Save.... last one off the free kick was also alot harder to keep out than he made it out to be ... Nice I agree.  Piscopo seems a tasty player....
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 16 May 2022 12:20 AM

A coaching gig for John Aloisi, 26 jobs for career footballers including a currently injured and very watchable Diamanti, employment for a whole raft of admin and support staff, income for refs, officials and commentators to the tune of an extra game a week, and the entertainment value and opportunity for as much vitriol as anyone wants to dump on them in here and anywhere else they want.

Add to that the immeasurable value to however many individuals there are who call them their side that they have a football team to follow from home if they can't make it to whatever ground they are playing out of week by week.

Magic!

Aloisi would have another job elsewhere in the Aleague, the coaches support staff and a majority of the players where "pinched" from NPL not created magically out of thin air. Old man Diamanti is indeed a decent player but Im sure he would have, could have gone to Victory instead? Johnny Anastasiadis who was, from memory, the first assistant coach they ever signed 3 years ago was the best of the best NPL coaches in Australia... lost to the game as an assistant for the last 3 years????
If they can only muster 1.5k to a home final and the vast majority of those didnt pay the FA for the privileged of being there then as of right now they are offering exactly NOTHING.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 16 May 2022 9:59 AM
Roar in me Blood - 16 May 2022 12:20 AM

Aloisi would have another job elsewhere in the Aleague, the coaches support staff and a majority of the players where "pinched" from NPL not created magically out of thin air. Old man Diamanti is indeed a decent player but Im sure he would have, could have gone to Victory instead? Johnny Anastasiadis who was, from memory, the first assistant coach they ever signed 3 years ago was the best of the best NPL coaches in Australia... lost to the game as an assistant for the last 3 years????
If they can only muster 1.5k to a home final and the vast majority of those didnt pay the FA for the privileged of being there then as of right now they are offering exactly NOTHING.

None of my post was serious - just referring to that discussion a few months back about how a club represents a lot more than just the players.

I hear you.

charlied
charlied
Pro

Heart_fan - 15 May 2022 1:46 PM

It is my fervent hope that they go bust very very soon. 
charlied
charlied
Pro

Every game WU play damages the A League. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search