Dwight Yorke to Coach Cows

Dwight Yorke to Coach Cows

Author
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Davide82 - 17 May 2022 12:11 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 12:00 PM

Did Gerard?

On 7 September 2017, the club announced Gerrard would manage the Under-19 team in the 2017–18 UEFA Youth League184]
In late April 2018, Gerrard entered talks to become the new manager of Scottish Premiership club Rangers

The success Gerrard had at Rangers was down to Michael Beale, do not let anyone tell you anything different.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

LFC. - 17 May 2022 12:28 PM
Davide82 - 17 May 2022 12:17 PM

between 1-2 officially, he finshed up with Galaxy 2016 but he was always a tactician type guy, was around gaffa management briefings heaps prior and then getting his license.
Like I said fresh out of the game, was his next out clause process, fingers on the pulse - a bit more preparation than who we're talking about talking comparing apples with apples.

These are all fair points but doesn't actually change the fact he had no (very very little maybe) experience in any coaching capacity.

The fact is there are countless examples in all leagues around the world of ex players being promoted to coaching roles before they have as much experience as other "more deserving" local options.

Good or bad appt is a fair debate but the fact is it happens so the people who see this as a "slap in the face to football in this country" or call it plastic etc are just perpetually outraged whine merchants
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Lol didnt Aan Shearer take over at Newcastle when he was a TV Pundit ffs? He had no badges at all from memory 

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 10:43 AM
charlied - 17 May 2022 9:39 AM

I think thats a little simplistic though Charlie. Coaches are limited by the players at their disposal but thats a whole other conversation. Yorke's appointment is of a coach with NO prior coaching experience. Its bad enough the APL has insulted all of Australian football by honouring him as coach of the supposed "best players of the Aleague system for the year" rather than giving it also to the best Australia coach of the year... this appointment is a marketing exercise which is ONLY viable for Macarthur because there is no consequence for  poor performance. It seems, at arms length, that they are happy to hire an ex player in order to sell a few more tickets a round and dont really give a crap if he can coach or not .... We all laughed at Usain Bolt trialling but this is pretty much the same thing... Fowler at least, as LFC mentions above, had stood in the sheds in front of a whiteboard and 11 players before.... has Dwight?

Yeah, I take your points. I'm just desperate for a little excitement in the A League.

tsf
tsf
Legend

Even Ince from memory had ZERO qualifications and took on a player manager role.....this has happened numerous times around the world. Not saying it's good, but it's laughable to suggest this is different to anywhere 

Fark look at Maradona being offered jobs 
Edited
2 Years Ago by tsf
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

tsf - 17 May 2022 2:46 PM
Even Ince from memory had ZERO qualifications and took on a player manager role.....this has happened numerous times around the world. Not saying it's good, but it's laughable to suggest this is different to anywhere 

there is always plenty of "farce's" and those leagues can cop it farfar more than ours being old leagues but ours especially in the current circumstances but thats my train of thought, not plastic or whine merchant just general good interest in our game - to Davide.

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Well at least he ticks the diversity box.
Well done APL

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

LFC. - 17 May 2022 2:57 PM

there is always plenty of "farce's" and those leagues can cop it farfar more than ours being old leagues but ours especially in the current circumstances but thats my train of thought, not plastic or whine merchant just general good interest in our game - to Davide.

Vialli was appointed as Chelsea's manager and enjoyed immediate success. In his first months at the helm he guided the Blues to success in the European Cup Winners' Cup, League Cup and UEFA Super Cup.In his first full season in charge of Chelsea, Vialli helped Chelsea qualify for the Champions' League, finishing third in the Premier League. 

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

I think the question being missed here is - can he possibly coach a harder to watch/less functioning team than Milicic?

I doubt it.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Hahahaha I get your point(s) and all fair but dont let the truth get in the way of a good bit of plastic bashing :) Gianluca was made player coach because pre-Abramovich Chelsea was skint after sacking Ghullit if Im not mistaken and wasnt Shearer at Newcastle something similar...... something about even the season ticket holders got a vote to bring him in? hahahaha
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:31 PM

Hahahaha I get your point(s) and all fair but dont let the truth get in the way of a good bit of plastic bashing :) Gianluca was made player coach because pre-Abramovich Chelsea was skint after sacking Ghullit if Im not mistaken and wasnt Shearer at Newcastle something similar...... something about even the season ticket holders got a vote to bring him in? hahahaha

Yeah player-manager (Vialli). I used to love watching Chelsea in those days.
Point is he had zero managerial experience and won everything in his first season and a half aha

Don't see many player-managers these days do you? I can't think of many anyway.
Always laughed at the idea of subbing yourself on
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 12:00 PM

Did Gerard?

On 7 September 2017, the club announced Gerrard would manage the Under-19 team in the 2017–18 UEFA Youth League184]
In late April 2018, Gerrard entered talks to become the new manager of Scottish Premiership club Rangers

I guess maybe Rangers would consider 1 years worth of coaching at Melwood under the tutelage of Jurgen Klopp as a sufficient apprenticeship, definitely worth more than not having coached one single match at any level and have "the endorsement of Manchester United" a club btw who cant even get their own management correct over the last 4-5 years and didnt even see fit to keep Dwight in their own academy for a year.......

Ask SuthoBear what the reaction to Gerrard getting the gaffers gig at Rangers was like from their faithfull and the Scottish football public at large... Not too dissimilar to what Ange copped I believe (SB correct me if Im wrong mate but I seem to remember alot rubbishing this very thing)... Some people just cant see the plastic for the trees.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 4:33 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:31 PM

Yeah player-manager (Vialli). I used to love watching Chelsea in those days.
Point is he had zero managerial experience and won everything in his first season and a half aha

Don't see many player-managers these days do you? I can't think of many anyway.
Always laughed at the idea of subbing yourself on

ALWAYS rated Viali and other early Italians in the Premiership but ..... he didnt last very long as a coach from memory aye?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 17 May 2022 2:10 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 10:44 AM

Didn't your Angela not have a license either when he arrived in Scotland ? ( European )

AngelO not AngelA --- I know these wog names must be hard on you ______ 
Anyway tbf I guess Ange did have a AFC coaching certificate and probably, like the rest of the world, didnt really consider Scotland to be part of Europe anyway :P. hahahahahahah
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:40 PM
Davide82 - 17 May 2022 4:33 PM

ALWAYS rated Viali and other early Italians in the Premiership but ..... he didnt last very long as a coach from memory aye?

Would Macarthur care if Yorke only coached a couple of seasons but won every trophy available?

Frankly I couldn't care less and think it's a silly appointment.
It's just not going to cause plagues of locusts or be the downfall of the league. Plenty of other things have and will be. Not this.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 4:55 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:40 PM

Would Macarthur care if Yorke only coached a couple of seasons but won every trophy available?

Frankly I couldn't care less and think it's a silly appointment.
It's just not going to cause plagues of locusts or be the downfall of the league. Plenty of other things have and will be. Not this.

Clearly its not the end of the world. FWIW I always liked Dwight as a player and hope he succeeds. Your opening statement is the telling one.

MacArthur would seemingly also NOT CARE if he lost every season, its just about the bums on seats with them......... Thats my point.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

I wonder if they also approached Kewell. If their pre-requisite was a name that could potentially attract fans, surely Harry is a better candidate. At least he has some proper coaching experience.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:38 PM

I guess maybe Rangers would consider 1 years worth of coaching at Melwood under the tutelage of Jurgen Klopp as a sufficient apprenticeship, definitely worth more than not having coached one single match at any level and have "the endorsement of Manchester United" a club btw who cant even get their own management correct over the last 4-5 years and didnt even see fit to keep Dwight in their own academy for a year.......

Ask SuthoBear what the reaction to Gerrard getting the gaffers gig at Rangers was like from their faithfull and the Scottish football public at large... Not too dissimilar to what Ange copped I believe (SB correct me if Im wrong mate but I seem to remember alot rubbishing this very thing)... Some people just cant see the plastic for the trees.

Gerrard was very well accepted by the Rangers support, but not the general public in Scotland as was seen as a threat to their beloved fenians as well as being English. Racism is massive in Scotland against the English.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:50 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 17 May 2022 2:10 PM

AngelO not AngelA --- I know these wog names must be hard on you ______ 
Anyway tbf I guess Ange did have a AFC coaching certificate and probably, like the rest of the world, didnt really consider Scotland to be part of Europe anyway :P. hahahahahahah

It’s not anymore 🤣🤣🤣🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Angela was more than deliberate as you will know.

Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Most of those player-> coach appointments happen soon after the player finishes playing. 

Still would like to know what Yorke has been up to for 13 years. 
Coaching isn't something you get into on a whim. Most players that move into coaching are learning the trade in the twilight years of their career. It's practically an all consuming Passion for most. And these days it needs to be. 

It's not something you take up after 13 years and think you might give it a crack. 
That's my concern with this appointment. 
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

LFC. - 17 May 2022 12:14 PM
sirhcdobo - 17 May 2022 11:29 AM

ah some good points - SG, had 2yrs coaching in the academy for starters after fresh out of the game, his call to Rangers was up to them they took the punt rest is history.
Good fortune ? or good management ? bit of both I guess but he was the type for coaching as we could see, some are not like for any job.
EX players are a hard call to be coachs - most don't cut it period they are assigned the job because of name alone.
Lampard is another good mention, he inherited a pretty good squad @ Derby and getting to the play offs was commendale, he should have stayed their to keep learning his craft but couldn't resist the call back to the Blues that was way above his ability as shown with a damn fine squad.
Now suffering big time at the Toffs and likely gone shortly in turn scarring his Coaching reputation.
You can add Rooney as well but at least he has stayed with them despite relegation BUT really who would bother above in higher leagues taking him on now but a romantic Club owner.
I don't think ALM is even at L1 levels consistantly imo.

SG/Lampard/Rooney had/have very good football brains as well, 1 has succeeded with a title and made sure AV stays in EPL without a pres season etc, the other 2 are minor train wrecks at this stage.
Being endorsed by United means that only, not much but your ol Club gives you a good reference, I didn't ridicule him but made the point considering Bulls/ALM are in crictical times wouldn't it have been wiser pulling a credible coach with experience instead of the name and a punt the next couple of years.

Let's not kid ourselves and think the aleague is on the same level as the Premier league, it is league one equivalent and there have been numerous ex players cut their teeth at that level. Harry kewel is another one who did well at his first club in league one.

His endorsement by man U is more than just an old club giving him a good reference. He did his badges through them meaning he did a lot of hands on learning at the club in their academy. If he is a total flop the that will speak a lot about their teaching. They wouldn't publicly endorse him if he was rubbish. (There is a joke about them publicly endorsing there first team head coaches who are rubbish but I won't make it)
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Speaking from a position having benefitted from white privilege, I welcome this appointment

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 5:09 PM
Davide82 - 17 May 2022 4:55 PM

Clearly its not the end of the world. FWIW I always liked Dwight as a player and hope he succeeds. Your opening statement is the telling one.

MacArthur would seemingly also NOT CARE if he lost every season, its just about the bums on seats with them......... Thats my point.

MSO

Am surprised you have not identified the effect this could have on youth development.

The Cows if rumours are correct have poached Miller who IMO is the form right back this year.

Three years in the Mariners academy and under Monty's guidance. A potential Socceroo and now in the hands along with other Cow juniors of a novice.

This is a huge mega gamble and it could go terribly wrong.
e

Edited
2 Years Ago by Midfielder
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 17 May 2022 5:26 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:50 PM

It’s not anymore 🤣🤣🤣🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Angela was more than deliberate as you will know.

Ah so it was a homophobic slur NOT a racist one! Hahahahahahahah  fair enough. Lol
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 4:18 PM
LFC. - 17 May 2022 2:57 PM

Vialli was appointed as Chelsea's manager and enjoyed immediate success. In his first months at the helm he guided the Blues to success in the European Cup Winners' Cup, League Cup and UEFA Super Cup.In his first full season in charge of Chelsea, Vialli helped Chelsea qualify for the Champions' League, finishing third in the Premier League. 

Davide I know very well the sqaud that was there and the achievements, Zola,DiMatteo, Lebeouf etc it was a very good squad, you or I would have guided them through ? yer maybe not but he inherited and played in a cool team.
Once he left them though to Wolves it dived after the $$'s spent finished 14th and he was sacked.
I love the bloke and Zola but for them beating my LFC.

As mentioned some work many don't.
Lets see what Yorke achieves.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

sirhcdobo - 17 May 2022 6:14 PM
LFC. - 17 May 2022 12:14 PM

Let's not kid ourselves and think the aleague is on the same level as the Premier league, it is league one equivalent and there have been numerous ex players cut their teeth at that level. Harry kewel is another one who did well at his first club in league one.

His endorsement by man U is more than just an old club giving him a good reference. He did his badges through them meaning he did a lot of hands on learning at the club in their academy. If he is a total flop the that will speak a lot about their teaching. They wouldn't publicly endorse him if he was rubbish. (There is a joke about them publicly endorsing there first team head coaches who are rubbish but I won't make it)

say no more :)

Never was anything mentioned re comparing with EPL, far far far from it and I mentioned before I can't agree APLM is even on L1 levels consistantly, imo.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 17 May 2022 9:52 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 5:09 PM

MSO

Am surprised you have not identified the effect this could have on youth development.

The Cows if rumours are correct have poached Miller who IMO is the form right back this year.

Three years in the Mariners academy and under Monty's guidance. A potential Socceroo and now in the hands along with other Cow juniors of a novice.

This is a huge mega gamble and it could go terribly wrong.
e

Mid, any new coaching appointment is a gamble, thats sort of not the argument here... Yorke has a pedigree as a player - tick, has coaching badges awarded in Europe better than any FFA curriculum crap - tick, therefore would certainly not be any worse than any other first time coach. Your Monty seems like a fine gaffer but he is fairly new to the game too isnt he? I'm not worry about what Dwight can do to young players, no offence to your fabled academy but there are dozens of players at that age bracket out there who can step up.. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 17 May 2022 5:25 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2022 4:38 PM

Gerrard was very well accepted by the Rangers support, but not the general public in Scotland as was seen as a threat to their beloved fenians as well as being English. Racism is massive in Scotland against the English.

Seemed fairly 50-50 to me, a few Rangers supporting pals where pretty dirty at the time.
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/best-twitter-reactions-steven-gerrard-maybe-becoming-next-rangers-boss-298697

Stenson
Stenson
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)Hardcore Fan (234 reputation)

Proactive to appoint Yorkey. Sugar hit for the MacBulls, that they needed.
Summerteeth
Summerteeth
Rising Star
Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)

Haven’t heard Mac Bull explaining the Dwight appointment. Did I miss something?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search