The Formula 1 Thread

The Formula 1 Thread

Author
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
davidtorres wrote:
Personally, this is probably my favouirte race of the season, not cause of the history of the race of whatever but the racing is awesome!

WTF? Monaco has the worst racing. There are zero overtaking points. It's Exhibit A whenever someones complains about F1 being a procession.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
What do people make of the troubles regarding the possible rule changes and team boycotts?

I'm really interested in what is going on here because it's not really being promoted much on the media but this is very big news.
Ferrari are very serious about quitting and so are Renault and Red Bull.
If this happens it will be a massive blow to F1. I seriously hope it does not happen.
But the FIA need to fuckan think about what they are doing. I seriously hope they are not turning into the AFL and introduicng new rules every fucking week.
Remember early this season, they wanted to make it that wins decide championships not points.
That has seriously got to be the dumbest thing ever! The most consistent driver should always be champion. ](*,)

What do u think afro?

f1worldchamp wrote:
davidtorres wrote:
Personally, this is probably my favouirte race of the season, not cause of the history of the race of whatever but the racing is awesome!

WTF? Monaco has the worst racing. There are zero overtaking points. It's Exhibit A whenever someones complains about F1 being a procession.

I mean not in like overtaking or whatever, but the way the drivers have to be absolutley perfect every single lap. One mistake you're in the wall!

Edited by davidtorres: 22/5/2009 04:33:25 PM
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
What do people make of the troubles regarding the possible rule changes and team boycotts?

A lot of posturing that will probably turn out to nothing. Bernie is successful because he realised long ago that Formula 1 = Ferrari. He won't let them go.
Flip side is that a breakaway championship is a very real possibility. If Ferrari go, you can be sure Renault, BMW and Red Bull will be close behind. If it does happen, you can bet it will be with Bernie at the helm.

davidtorres wrote:
I mean not in like overtaking or whatever, but the way the drivers have to be absolutley perfect every single lap. One mistake you're in the wall!

Spectacular yes, but that's not racing.

Edited by f1worldchamp: 22/5/2009 04:38:21 PM
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:

Actually there's two. But it doesn't make for good racing, just good crashes.

I think that introducing budget cuts is only going to mean that shortcuts are taken which is going to put teams and drivers in danger. You're already pushing the envelope as it is. To then suggest that teams will be ALLOWED to take certain shortcuts depending on HOW FAR under the budget they are is just rediculous. I certainly hope that the FIA has the sense to know that if they do this they will kill the sport. The sport can't survive without Ferrari and teams can't run for under the mooted 80mil USD cap, right now Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota and Red Bull are all running at close to DOUBLE that. It would be a shame to watch the sport die, I've grown up watching it, I was only a little tacker when Senna died, but I was lucky enough to be behind the scenes in the late 90's when Williams Renault dominated the sport with Hill and Villeneuve and I still have signed posters from both drivers around here somewhere.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

Actually there's two. But it doesn't make for good racing, just good crashes.

There are zero genuine overtaking points. It's usually tried into Hotel Mirabeau, but there's a great hump in the road just there and getting off the racing line is a bad idea, and there's out of the tunnel into the chicane, but again there isn't a lot of room and if you miss the corner you have to yeild the place anyway.
Those same corners on any other track would not be considered overtaking points.
I have to say, I don't like Monaco. I'm all for street circuits, but it's past it's prime. You can't even say the crashes are all that great because they aren't going fast enough. The only big crash I remember is Karl Wendlinger in the Sauber in '94. He went off at the chicane and it ended his F1 career. This was one race after Senna and Ratzenberger died.
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

But who doesnt like watching crashes?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
There are zero genuine overtaking points. It's usually tried into Hotel Mirabeau, but there's a great hump in the road just there and getting off the racing line is a bad idea, and there's out of the tunnel into the chicane, but again there isn't a lot of room and if you miss the corner you have to yeild the place anyway.

Coming out of the tunnel and the turn into the pit straght are the two real overtaking chances. Trying to overtake at Hotel Mirabeau is suicide. We saw that last year with...I think it was Kovelained cannoning into Sutil in the wet.

You complain about the lack of pace meaning that there are no decent stacks, but if anything that would actually make it more dangerous due to the fact that the lack of pace wouldn't allow the car's crumple zones to work as effectively as they should, jarring the driver.

Edited by afromanGT: 23/5/2009 07:08:35 AM
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
You complain about the lack of pace meaning that there are no decent stacks, but if anything that would actually make it more dangerous due to the fact that the lack of pace wouldn't allow the car's crumple zones to work as effectively as they should, jarring the driver.

Crashing at a lower speed is more dangerous? :shock:
You wanna try tht one again?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

I know that sounds kind of daft. But think about it like this; the car has crumple zones designed to give way under impact to protect the driver in the evend of a crash (better the car irreperably breaks than the driver, even if the driver would be cheaper to replace). Now if you don't hit the wall hard enough these crumple zones aren't going to crumple the way they're meant to, and because of the nature of the substance they are made out of, this means that they will transfer the impact force and that's going to go to the softest thing around, ie the driver, to absorb the impact. Thus it's more dangerous physically for the driver, if he is going at a speed like 100-150km/h than if he were doing less or more.
It requires more than a rudimentary understanding of mechanical physics to explain more, it was explained to me once years ago and I could understand it but I'm not sure I could convey it.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

For people who want to watch qualifiying, go on this site.It''s on right now.
http://www.rojadirecta.com/freedocast/428A31D72133109E
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
I'm not sure I could convey it.

You're right, you can't.
The driver sit in a saftey cell that isn't meant to collapse at any speed. The cell around the driver will always remain intact. The crumple zones are progressive, and most 'offs' happen under braking.
Quote:

For people who want to watch qualifiying, go on this site.It''s on right now.
http://www.rojadirecta.com/freedocast/428A31D72133109E

Or just watch it on Ten HD, channel one.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

The race is now only 1 hour away!!! I can't wait.
Here are the qualifying results if no-one saw them
Webber was doing alright but in the last session he was quite slow.
Not sure if he's doing a 1 stopper. :?
But again Button on pole and Hamilton near the back.
Oh how things have changed! :lol:

1. Button
2. Barrichello
3. Raikonnen
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Rosberg
7. Kovalainen
8. Webber
9. Alonso
10 Nakajima
11.Buemi
12. Piquet
13.Fisichella
14.Bourdais
15.Sutil.
16.Hamilton
17.Heidfeld
18.Kubica
19.Trulli
20.Glock
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Things have changed for the better. I'll predict:

1. Button
2. Webber
3. Barrichello
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
You're right, you can't.
The driver sit in a saftey cell that isn't meant to collapse at any speed. The cell around the driver will always remain intact. The crumple zones are progressive, and most 'offs' happen under braking.

No shit. Thanks for that captain obvious. It's all about transferral of force.
If the crumple zones don't crumple, there is greater force transferred more effectively along the frame of the car and into the protective capsule around the driver. This was the problem that they had with Zanardi when he lost his legs.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

Winner: 1. Button
2. Barrichello
3. Raikkonnen
5. Webber

meh
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
If the crumple zones don't crumple, there is greater force transferred more effectively along the frame of the car and into the protective capsule around the driver. This was the problem that they had with Zanardi when he lost his legs.

Are you serious? Have you even seen Zanardi's accident? It was huge. And the drivers cell came apart. That's why he lost his legs.
You're trying to argue that a low speed accident can be worse for a driver than a high speed accident. Either whatever you were told is wrong, or you have misinterpreted it.
You're wrong. Accept it.

Oh, and before I forget, all those who tried to defend Monaco. Zero crashes and zero overtakes last night. Exciting, huh?

Edited by f1worldchamp: 25/5/2009 09:41:36 AM
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

It's not a hard and fast rule that a faster accident IS safer, but it can be more dangerous. I spent several years in the Williams team garage at the Australian and Malaysian GP (flew straight in and straight out, didn't see shit all else), I've got a pretty good understanding of how things work.
Quote:
Zero crashes and zero overtakes last night. Exciting, huh?

Did you even watch the race? Nakajima went off on the last lap straight into the wall, Kovelainen crashed out on lap 58, Vettel on 15 and Buemi hit Piquet on lap 10.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
It's not a hard and fast rule that a faster accident IS safer, but it can be more dangerous

:-s

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:
Zero crashes and zero overtakes last night. Exciting, huh?

Did you even watch the race? Nakajima went off on the last lap straight into the wall, Kovelainen crashed out on lap 58, Vettel on 15 and Buemi hit Piquet on lap 10.

And were any of them 'exciting'? Sliding off into the tyres isn't exactly riveting stuff. You want crashes try putting Derick Warwick Monza or Luciano Burti Spa into YouTube and then tell me Buemi sticking it up Piquet's arse was exciting.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

I preferred Kubica's accident at Indianapolis or Villeneuve in Melbourne personally.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
I preferred Kubica's accident at Indianapolis or Villeneuve in Melbourne personally.

I don't want to sound like a smart ass or anything but Kubica's crash was actually at Montreal. ;)
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

What was the driver who had the accident at indianapolis and ended up under the tyre-wall? I can destinctly remember watching it but I don't remember the driver. I thought it was Kubica.

Ralf Schumacher's at Indianapolis was pretty good too.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
What was the driver who had the accident at indianapolis and ended up under the tyre-wall? I can destinctly remember watching it but I don't remember the driver. I thought it was Kubica.

Ralf Schumacher's at Indianapolis was pretty good too.

The only accident I can recently remember where a driver has gone under a tyre wall was at Nurburgring a couple of years ago when Hamilton went off in qualifiying.

Actually this is the only big crash I could find at Indianapolis in the past couple of years.
Nick Heidfelds barrel roll cack in '06. Not a bad crash!!! :lol: :lol:

[youtube]OYJBBJRz0K4[/youtube]

Edited by davidtorres: 25/5/2009 08:32:46 PM
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
The only accident I can recently remember where a driver has gone under a tyre wall was at Nurburgring a couple of years ago when Hamilton went off in qualifiying.

No, I remember that one, that's not the accident I was thinking of. It was a massive crash straight into the tyre-wall at about 200 km/h, the car literally ended up UNDER the tyres. IIRC the brake pad exploded.

EDIT: It was Heikki Kovalainen at Spain.

Edited by afromanGT: 25/5/2009 09:32:15 PM
avy1990
avy1990
Legend

I was just about to say Kovalainen, I thought he was gonna be seriously hurt in that crash TBH.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

He was pretty lucky. He took one hell of a concussion though. To stay conscious the entire time and remember NONE of the events for some three hours after the accident is remarkable.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

That one that I put up of Heidfelds crash was pretty bad!
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Villeneuve in melbourne in 01 with the fatality, Schumacher in 02 getting airborn - That is a one in a billion shot that famous photo, Martibn Brundle in 1996 at Melbourne was pretty special too.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Yes, those are the three, but my favourite pic of the Brundle crash is this one:

Edited by afromanGT: 27/5/2009 02:38:06 AM
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

*BUMP*

I just read in the Herald Sun this morning that the FIA has approved of three new teams to compete in next years F1 season!
This was a 1 paragraph article in the Herald Sun but I think this is absolutely massive news.

Quote:
Three new names - and conditions - on 2010 entry list The FIA published the entry list for the 2010 championship on Friday, with three new names - Campos Grand Prix, Team US F1 and Manor Grand Prix - joining the existing 10 Formula One teams.

However, the inclusion of McLaren, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota and Brawn is subject to those teams lifting the conditions they placed on their entries, with discussions on the matter to be concluded by next Friday, June 19. The FIA will continue to assess other possible new entries in the meantime.

The three new teams are all expected to run under the FIA’s voluntary budget cap and all have three-year engine contracts in place with Cosworth, who will return to Formula One racing for the first time since 2006. Of the existing teams, Toro Rosso and Brawn do not have an engine supplier confirmed on the FIA’s entry list.

Team US F1 is led by Formula One veterans Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, whose US-based concern hopes to prove ‘that American technology, American drivers and the American competitive spirit can compete and win on the F1 global stage’. British-born Windsor is a former Williams team manager, while American engineer Anderson is an ex-F1 technical director. They are based in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Campos Grand Prix is headed by former Formula One driver Adrian Campos, whose Spanish Campos Racing team currently compete in Formula Three, having previously enjoyed success in GP2, winning the 2008 team championship. Campos Grand Prix will have headquarters in Madrid, plus a technical centre at Campos Racing's current base in Valencia. Its car will be built by renowned Italian chassis builders Dallara.

The surprise name on the FIA’s list is Manor Grand Prix. British team Manor Motorsport was founded in 1990 by former single-seater champion John Booth and over the years has fielded drivers such as Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton in the likes of Formula Renault and Formula Three.

Manor Motorsport currently race in the Formula Three Euroseries and their F1 entry sees Booth link up with former Simtek F1 team owner Nick Wirth, whose company Wirth Research Limited will build the new team's cars.

The FIA statement in full:
2010 FIA Formula One World Championship Entry List

Following the completion of the applications process for teams to compete in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, the following teams have been confirmed.

TEAM / CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO / FERRARI
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO / STR TBA
RED BULL RACING / RBR RENAULT
AT&T WILLIAMS / WILLIAMS TOYOTA
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM / FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
CAMPOS GRAND PRIX / CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX / MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 / TEAM US F1 COSWORTH
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES* / McLAREN MERCEDES
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM* / BMW SAUBER
RENAULT F1 TEAM* / RENAULT
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING* / TOYOTA
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM* / BRAWN TBA

*These five teams have submitted conditional entries.The FIA has invited them to lift those conditions following further discussions to be concluded not later than close of business on Friday 19 June.

The maximum number of cars permitted to enter the 2010 Championship has been increased to 26, two being entered by each competitor. Pending completion of the discussions referred to above, further due diligence is currently taking place on other potential entries.

More cars = more racing and more competition!!! \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search