The Formula 1 Thread

The Formula 1 Thread

Author
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
Nelson Piquet has been sacked by Formula One team Renault after failing to pick up any points for the French team this season, the 24-year-old Brazilian announced on his website.

Piquet, without a win in 28 races, described his time with Renault as the worst period of his career and said he now wanted to start afresh and prove his driving credentials with a new team.

He also criticised his treatment by team boss Flavio Briatore.

"I want to say thanks to the small group who supported me and that I worked together at Renault F1, although it is obviously with great disappointment that I receive such news," Piquet, whose father won the world championship three times, said.

"I am a team player and there are dozens of people I have worked with in my career who would vouch for my character and talent, except unfortunately the person that has had the most influence on my career in Formula One."

Piquet accused the flamboyant Italian of unfair behaviour in his time driving alongside two-time world champion Fernando Alonso.

"On numerous occasions, 15 minutes before qualifying and races, my manager and team boss (Briatore) would threaten me, telling me if I didn't get a good result, he had another driver ready to put in my place.

"I have never needed threats before to get results. In 2008 I scored 19 points, finished once on the podium in second place, having the best debut year of a Brazilian driver in F1."

Despite promises from Briatore that things would be different in 2009, Piquet said nothing changed.

"A manager is supposed to encourage you, support you, and provide you with opportunities. In my case it was the opposite. Flavio Briatore was my executioner."

davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Shameless triple post but without afro there is no-one else to discuss F1 with me.....

Unfortunately there has been some very bad news come out of Ferrari today, but it's not about Massa.....
Quote:
Michael Schumacher says he is calling off a much-anticipated Formula One comeback as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycling accident earlier this year.

Schumacher says he has informed top Ferrari officials that he can no longer step in for Felipe Massa, whom he was set to replace for the remainder of the season.

The seven-time world champion says injuries to his head and back caused by the bike-accident have turned out to be still too severe.

The 40-year-old claims his neck cannot yet stand up to the stresses caused by Formula One racing.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

davidtorres wrote:
Shameless triple post but without afro there is no-one else to discuss F1 with me.....

Unfortunately there has been some very bad news come out of Ferrari today, but it's not about Massa.....
Quote:
Michael Schumacher says he is calling off a much-anticipated Formula One comeback as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycling accident earlier this year.

Schumacher says he has informed top Ferrari officials that he can no longer step in for Felipe Massa, whom he was set to replace for the remainder of the season.

The seven-time world champion says injuries to his head and back caused by the bike-accident have turned out to be still too severe.

The 40-year-old claims his neck cannot yet stand up to the stresses caused by Formula One racing.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I wonder how many of fans that bought tickets to Valencia expecting MS to be there will ask for their money back now?

Not too sure it's a bad thing. He could only have tarnished his legacy.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

Quote:
I wonder how many of fans that bought tickets to Valencia expecting MS to be there will ask for their money back now?

None. The spanish love their racing and i'm pretty sure they wont give a shit if Schumacher is there or not. :lol:

Quote:
Not too sure it's a bad thing. He could only have tarnished his legacy

True, but I was quite looking forward to seeing him back.

f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

davidtorres wrote:
Quote:

None. The spanish love their racing and i'm pretty sure they wont give a shit if Schumacher is there or not. :lol:

Actually, I've been reading that sales at Valencia and the rest of the tracks this year spiked (compared with the same time last year) when Shumi first announced the comeback.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

MASSIVE NEWS!!!!!

Quote:
Renault have been handed a two-year suspended ban by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) for ordering Nelson Piquet junior to crash in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

The verdict was handed down by the sport's governing body the International Automobile Federation (FIA) after a one-and-a-half-hour hearing at their Paris headquarters on Monday.

Renault were in the dock for conspiring with Piquet junior to cause a deliberate crash to help the Brazilian's teammate, Fernando Alonso, win the race.

The French outfit could have faced permanent exclusion from the sport over 'crashgate' as the affair became known but escaped that ultimate sanction after the departure of Piquet, team boss Flavio Briatore and chief engineer Pat Symonds.

As well as Renault's suspended ban, Briatore himself was handed an "unlimited" ban from the sport while Symonds was suspended for five years.

Piquet junior and Alonso were among those who appeared before the FIA hearing after which the 26 members of the World Motor Sports Council met to decide what action to take.

Alonso was cleared of any involvement in the conspiracy.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26106878-5018892,00.html

anth
anth
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I really wish i was still interested in F1 but this type of thing is the exact reason i'm not. it all seems a little too "organised" imo and this story confirms that.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

*Slight bump*

Well for anyone who still follows F1, you may know that there will be 6 new teams in next years championship:

Mercedes Grand Prix (Formerly Brawn GP)
Sauber (Formerly BMW Sauber F1)
Lotus F1 Racing
Campos Meta 1
US F1 Team
Virgin Racing

There will also be a new points system next season:

The 2010 system will see 25 points for first, 20 for second, 15 for third, ten for fourth and then eight, six, five, three, two, and finally to one for fifth through to tenth place.

1st: 25
2nd: 20
3rd: 15
4th: 10
5th: 8
6th: 6
7th: 5
8th: 3
9th: 2
10th:1

New drivers next season will be:
Bruno Senna (Campos Meta)
Nico Hülkenberg (Williams)
Lucas Di Grassi (Virgin Racing)
Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber)

And drivers changing teams:
Fernando Alonso (Renault > Ferrari)
Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber > Renault)
Nico Rosberg (Williams > Mercedes)
Rubens Barrichello (Brawn GP > Williams)
Timo Glock (Toyota > Virgin Racing)
Jenson Button (Brawn GP > Mercedes)
Jarno Trulli (Toyota > Lotus)
Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren > Lotus)

Also Mercedes are looking to sign up this man.....
Quote:
Schumacher to drive for Mercedes GP in 2010?

Hang on to your hats, the F1 rumour mill is about to go into hyperdrive with reports suggesting Michael Schumacher could be tempted out of retirement to re-unite with Ross Brawn at the revamped Mercedes GP team in 2010.

The speculation is being fuelled by two main factors. First, Schumacher has left his role as an advisor to the Ferrari F1 team. Secondly, with Jenson Button seemingly destined for a seat at McLaren the scene is set for an all-German dream team in the new “Silver Arrows” at Mercedes GP.

Okay, sure, Schumacher still holds a key role at Ferrari’s road car department which may scupper any plans of an F1 comeback with the German giants. But, the seven time world champion could almost taste an F1 return earlier in the year when a Maranello red Formula One carrot was dangled in front of him in the form of a part time drive to cover for the injured Felipe Massa.

In the end, that chance was taken away due a neck injury he suffered earlier in the year. Would the promise a full time drive in a new German super-team, headed by his ex-Ferrari master tactician Ross Brawn, be enough to lure Schumacher back to the sport?

Norbert Haug, Mercedes motorsport chief, expects to announce the team’s driver pairing in the next couple of weeks. He’s not revealed any concrete plans to offer Schumacher a seat, but has said, “I think and hope we can announce something in the course of the next couple of weeks. We will do a very good job in that respect as well I can promise you – and maybe we can create some surprises.”

I must admit I am not one of Michael’s greatest fans, but even I can see how spectacularly awesome this would be for F1 were the Schumacher-Mercedes rumour to come true. Please let it be so.

2010 is shaping up to be a very interesting year in Formula 1. \:d/
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

At least the new points system is better than Bernie's gold medals.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

The change in points should see the championship even more competative too. And should see drivers still competing for place when they have a bad race.

I havne't heard much about Virgin racing, but they could do very well. It will be interesting.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

It will be interesting to see how McLaren go with Button and Hamilton together. Two good drivers, but only one position for the main driver. i think they'll go with Hamilton.
manchester12
manchester12
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Benjo wrote:
It will be interesting to see how McLaren go with Button and Hamilton together. Two good drivers, but only one position for the main driver. i think they'll go with Hamilton.

hamilton's the best!! [size=2](cause he's the only guy i know8-[ )[/size]
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

f1worldchamp wrote:
At least the new points system is better than Bernie's gold medals.

I love this new points system. MOTOGP has always had the best system, and this is almost identical which is good.

Much fairer than before.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Benjo wrote:

It will be interesting to see how McLaren go sans mercedes backing.

I think they might actually back Button. He's a more tallented driver IMO and he has more experience than Hamilton. Doesn't lose his shit when things aren't going to plan.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

hopfully webber wins a few more racers this year,
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

True, but I don't think the Red Bull will be as competetive as it was last season.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Very interesting changes, the sport has almost been completely overhauled
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

That's an interesting notion dave. You don't think redbull will be competative? Why not?
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
That's an interesting notion dave. You don't think redbull will be competative? Why not?

I think they will still be comptetitive, but they won't be winning races like they did last season.

Last season one of the reasons they were so good, was because other teams were shit tbh.
This season all of the major teams ie: Ferrari/McLaren will be back up there winning races so it will be difficult for Red Bull to do what they did this year.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Ferrari and McLaren struggled because their technical development departments have been lagging behind. Which is where Redbull and Virgin and to an extent Brawn did well last season. Though Brawn just walked in with a lot of money and bought the best stuff they could.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
Ferrari and McLaren struggled because their technical development departments have been lagging behind. Which is where Redbull and Virgin and to an extent Brawn did well last season. Though Brawn just walked in with a lot of money and bought the best stuff they could.

Ferrari and McLaren struggled because the year before they were still fighting for the championship ans still developing the 08 cars while all the other teams were already working on the 09 cars. Not really an issue most years, but there were big changes in the regulations between 08 and 09 and they were both caught on the hop.
Brawn were one of the few teams that ran so so called 'twin deck' diffuser.
afromanGT wrote:
think they might actually back Button. He's a more tallented driver IMO and he has more experience than Hamilton.

Experience yes, but I'm no fan of Hamilton and I still reckon he craps all over Button. Button was in the right place at the right time this year. WHen Honda folded he was without a drive and should have been out of Formula One.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

Quote:
Ferrari and McLaren struggled because the year before they were still fighting for the championship ans still developing the 08 cars while all the other teams were already working on the 09 cars.

This.

Edited by davidtorres: 23/12/2009 08:01:45 PM
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Anyone else see Scumacher will drive for Mercedes (I think) in 2010?
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

Yes I did and I was suprised to hear that. I really thought he wouldn't drive again on F1, especially with another team as well.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Ferrari and McLaren struggled because the year before they were still fighting for the championship ans still developing the 08 cars while all the other teams were already working on the 09 cars.

So? That's down to the development departments. A good team would have the capacity to balance the two. Obviously they haven't. And this season they've had just as much of a chance as any other team. Bottom line is, it was a changing of the guard. Previous to Scuderia, Williams had dominated the sport in the late 90's, before that it was McLaren and Lotus. These things happen.

You can't genuinely contend that Ferrari and McLaren had any less time to develop their car than Brawn did, yet Brawn walked away with the title and McLaren and Ferrari were left scratching their heads.
Quote:

They were also one of the few teams to get the KERS system up and running.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
So? That's down to the development departments. A good team would have the capacity to balance the two. Obviously they haven't.

So Ferrari and McLaren aren't 'good' teams? :-k

Quote:
Quote:

They were also one of the few teams to get the KERS system up and running.

Actually, they weren't. Only Ferrari and McLaren ran with KERS all season. BMW had it for a couple then dumped it. Brawn and Red Bull didn't use it at all.
Brawn would have been nowhere if the diffuser had been banned. As soon as the other teams caught up, Brawn didn't have things anywhere near as easy. That's why Button didn't even win a race in the second half of the season.
Don't get me wrong, Brawn deserved the title. F1 is a team sport and the real winners were the engineers who managed to fit the Mercedes engine where that boat anchor of a Honda one used to be.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

davidtorres wrote:
Yes I did and I was suprised to hear that. I really thought he wouldn't drive again on F1, especially with another team as well.

+1
I thought Ferrari was his dream job and he was going to stay on as ambassador, consultant to the F1 team and working on developing the road cars.
As usual, money talks. But anything less than dominating would be a step backwards. I don't really see the logic myself.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
So Ferrari and McLaren aren't 'good' teams?

Not this season they weren't.
Quote:
Actually, they weren't. Only Ferrari and McLaren ran with KERS all season. BMW had it for a couple then dumped it. Brawn and Red Bull didn't use it at all.

BMW dumped it because they couldn't get it working in Kubica's car. Brawn tested with it and dumped it. Renault also had it.
Quote:
As soon as the other teams caught up, Brawn didn't have things anywhere near as easy. That's why Button didn't even win a race in the second half of the season.

It had nothing to do with Barrichello winning three of those races? Red Bull stealing results off them?Sone general bad luck, particularly in Belgium?
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

It's now official, Michael Schumacher has signed for Mercededes!!! :shock:
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Everything to lose and nothing to gain. I don't know why he's doing it. I can see him re-retiring mid season.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search