You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Author
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've been off here for a couple years, and wow would I have some stories for this..
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

fark spewing.

poor cnut
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Also if I hear one more fuckwit say 'you know what that means mate hurr, hur hurr?'

'ya getting old'

No shit Sherlock, tell me something I don't know.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

So....

How's this. I've played and reffed all year. About 2 months ago I hurt my heel. (Like a stone bruise, that sort of pain except worse.) Took me about 3 or 4 weeks to get over it but I was back and playing and reffing. Last Thursday night I hurt it a bit on the same foot playing 35s. Not a lot but a bit. Anyway, reffed 2 games Saturday morning for the under 12s and it was a little sore then went and did the men's 2nd division semi. Blew my foot right up. So had to come off in the 2nd half and stand on the line. So that means I missed Monday night's semi (2 nights ago) for the 35s team I played for, which we won and will now miss the GF on Friday night. To make things worse I was appointed to the men's 2nd division GF to ref it and had to pull out because I'm a fucking cripple. FARKING FUCK. Play and ref all year only to come crashing down at the final hurdle. FFS!

On the plus side I was appointed the AR role in the main CPL final here about a month ago. The bloke who got the centre is about 8 years younger than me and more experienced so whilst disappointed I understand. I had a lot of people come up to me and said I was unlucky not to get the centre which was nice.

On the minus side I was an AR for an elimination semi on Saturday for, get this, an under 12 girls match and I had a parent come up to the game and tell me I need to be more 'impartial'. What the hell? Says I needed to let the centre ref do his job. Thing is the centre ref is in a first year 'green' shirt (signifying he's a 'first year') and my presence on the line is as an AR firstly but as a mentor as well. Twice I had to tell him to blow his whistle. Once I had to advise him when he was going to give an indirect free kick in the box for a handball. Not even my call for the handball which he made himself but he ran over to ask me and I said 'no, if it's handball it has to be a pen'. On one of the other fouls I told him to card the player because, although only 11, she shoved the played right over when they were both chasing the ball.

At least the parent wasn't yelling and shouting. I actually said to him mate I don't have a horse in this race. Then I told him my kid plays for that club. I don't think it made a difference to him. 

Fingers crossed my foot recovers for the Pan Pacifics at the Goldy in November.

Member since 2008.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 24 May 2022 5:29 PM
LFC. - 24 May 2022 2:22 PM

Read an article that the rain will continue through to spring?!

What the hell?

We have 2 full size synthetic pitches that have opened up this season. If it wasn't for them the season would be a write off. (Even with them though there's a massive backlog.)

yer not surprised of the backlogs, lucky having the syn pitchs.

Same occurring in our comp, for eg we and few other clubs have played 4games whilst others 3, they have cancelled our weekend games and scheduled those on 3 games to play on syn this weekend and obviously so many other age/divisions they have done similar.........

CH been the mildest summer in a long time AND your prob right been raining off and on since Feb.....

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

As far as I can recall, there hasn't been a full week without rain since the middle of February. 

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Muz
Muz
Legend

LFC. - 24 May 2022 2:22 PM
WGMG - euro football season has come to a close :( and as for our local season the big wet is causing havoc.
Looking like grounds will be closed for the weekend being its been raining again off and on since Saturday night.
Last weekend our game was at a ground that has 4 grounds, our field was the only one used, the rest called as washouts from the morning.
If playing on syns your ok but us ol blokes are not the priority when rescheduling that is understandable.
Hearing young fams are starting to moan re fees with so many games called off and we're not even at mid season.

Read an article that the rain will continue through to spring?!

What the hell?

We have 2 full size synthetic pitches that have opened up this season. If it wasn't for them the season would be a write off. (Even with them though there's a massive backlog.)

Member since 2008.

Edited
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

WGMG - euro football season has come to a close :( and as for our local season the big wet is causing havoc.
Looking like grounds will be closed for the weekend being its been raining again off and on since Saturday night.
Last weekend our game was at a ground that has 4 grounds, our field was the only one used, the rest called as washouts from the morning.
If playing on syns your ok but us ol blokes are not the priority when rescheduling that is understandable.
Hearing young fams are starting to moan re fees with so many games called off and we're not even at mid season.

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend

Cheers lads. Appreciate it.

Member since 2008.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Just so as not to fill with the same long Muz post I copied this below :

"Sure Muz but if you can't stand the heat get out of the fire. And that's all well good but I do enjoy the challenge and responsibility of doing these higher levels games. It is what it is I guess.

Not sure what the point of the above ranting was about. I have no one to complain to except the wife and she's over it so just wanted to vent a bit here. It's depressing sometimes and it really makes you think about whether you want to go on with it."

The wife mention gave me a lol and I relate aas would many BUT Muz, how it goes today, as long as your passionate let it go through one ear out the other !
We need Officials everywhere in grass roots land don't let them get to you for manymany others admire you doing the job who just don't give you the credit you deserve.
Take my hat off to you.

Now that Ive matured I make an effort every single FT go a Thank the ref for his job and the linesmen/girls.
Beig O45's we still get pretty good Refs but some of the lino's are real young kids, I love em, give them heaps of encouragement.

Keep at it mate.

Love Football

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 13 May 2022 1:28 PM
WGMG:

Refereeing whinge.

Obviously can't stop progress but because of the cheap availability of video software to record games all of the first grade and reserve grade games are now recorded. Of course that means all match incidents can now be screenshotted or sent as little video clips to all the team group chats to crucify you for any decision you rightly or wrongly made. It sucks because, obviously, I'm not a robot impervious to making mistakes.

In the old days it was just your word against there's and consigned to last weeks memories. Now they live on forever.

Making it worse there is no opportunity to defend yourself if you disagree with what they're saying because (a) I'm not in those group chats and (b) they wouldn't believe you anyway.  (I know it's happening because some of the players have told me.)

Obviously this circle jerk, echo chamber where they all pile on makes it extremely difficult when you next referee them. Particularly if you fuck up. (Which of course you inevitably will.)

A perfect example was a series of screenshots they took to show player A 'deliberately' elbowing player B in the head. But if you watch the video player A backs back to try and head the ball from the GK kick. (At the half way line). At no stage does he looks behind himself to 'deliberately' elbow the defender who jumps at the same time and cops an elbow in the side of the head because as he jumps his arm pushes player A's arm up which then smacks into player B's head.

Of course a single or series of screenshots from that one 0.5 sec interaction doesn't show anything that happens beforehand and/or how. Not that that matters anyway because all the players are sharing these selective screenshots and slagging me (and presumably other referees) off.

Sure Muz but if you can't stand the heat get out of the fire. And that's all well good but I do enjoy the challenge and responsibility of doing these higher levels games. It is what it is I guess.

Not sure what the point of the above ranting was about. I have no one to complain to except the wife and she's over it so just wanted to vent a bit here. It's depressing sometimes and it really makes you think about whether you want to go on with it.

I here you Muz and I have seen similar from a coaching perspective, but really all they are doing is looking for excuses for their own poor performance and its easier to blame the ref than it is to accept responsibility themselves.

Normally when I here that sort of shit I tell the kids/parents that they should focus on their performance and I am happy to compile a video of all their mistakes through the game and we can compare who made more mistakes, the ref or the player/parent complaining.

Dont let the peanuts ruin your reffing career.   

Muz
Muz
Legend

WGMG:

Refereeing whinge.

Obviously can't stop progress but because of the cheap availability of video software to record games all of the first grade and reserve grade games are now recorded. Of course that means all match incidents can now be screenshotted or sent as little video clips to all the team group chats to crucify you for any decision you rightly or wrongly made. It sucks because, obviously, I'm not a robot impervious to making mistakes.

In the old days it was just your word against there's and consigned to last weeks memories. Now they live on forever.

Making it worse there is no opportunity to defend yourself if you disagree with what they're saying because (a) I'm not in those group chats and (b) they wouldn't believe you anyway.  (I know it's happening because some of the players have told me.)

Obviously this circle jerk, echo chamber where they all pile on makes it extremely difficult when you next referee them. Particularly if you fuck up. (Which of course you inevitably will.)

A perfect example was a series of screenshots they took to show player A 'deliberately' elbowing player B in the head. But if you watch the video player A backs back to try and head the ball from the GK kick. (At the half way line). At no stage does he looks behind himself to 'deliberately' elbow the defender who jumps at the same time and cops an elbow in the side of the head because as he jumps his arm pushes player A's arm up which then smacks into player B's head.

Of course a single or series of screenshots from that one 0.5 sec interaction doesn't show anything that happens beforehand and/or how. Not that that matters anyway because all the players are sharing these selective screenshots and slagging me (and presumably other referees) off.

Sure Muz but if you can't stand the heat get out of the fire. And that's all well good but I do enjoy the challenge and responsibility of doing these higher levels games. It is what it is I guess.

Not sure what the point of the above ranting was about. I have no one to complain to except the wife and she's over it so just wanted to vent a bit here. It's depressing sometimes and it really makes you think about whether you want to go on with it.

Member since 2008.

Edited
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

scubaroo - 6 May 2022 4:00 PM
Thanks guys.  I'm pretty good a whinging.  It's been pretty crazy.  The meds have affected my sense of taste as well and all I want to is to taste a cold coke or lemonade or something.  So strange but that's what I crave. 

Shit mate, never heard of this condition until googling it... Sounds bloody painful and downright depressing...  Chin up, hope your treatment(s) clear things up and relieve some of the symptoms... Hope you get to taste that Coke soon, all the best.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Thanks guys.  I'm pretty good a whinging.  It's been pretty crazy.  The meds have affected my sense of taste as well and all I want to is to taste a cold coke or lemonade or something.  So strange but that's what I crave. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

all the best scubaroo, would be very painful what you have been experiecing hope your latest treatments help you..
My Uncle suffered something very similar some years, much nerve pain down the right side of his head/face/neck somehow surgery corrected it.
Wish you the best.

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend

scubaroo - 6 May 2022 2:32 AM
WGMG: After years of dealing with Trigeminal Neuralgia,  last November I had Gamma Knife treatment at Peter Mac. Had a crude frame screwed to my head then they stuck me in a bunch of machines for the day and got blasted with radiation. 
Well it appeared to work for a bit but the last two months I've had pain and numbness in my face (yes at the same time) could have developed Anesthesia Dolorosa,  so waiting to see, also being treated for brain swelling with these awful steroids, nausea, bloating, dizziness, chest pains, they are completely screwing with me. 
Feeling so rubbish at the moment.

Far out bloke. Been reading about your grief over a number of years. Not sure what to say except I hope they can do something for you eventually.

Blimey.

Member since 2008.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

WGMG: After years of dealing with Trigeminal Neuralgia,  last November I had Gamma Knife treatment at Peter Mac. Had a crude frame screwed to my head then they stuck me in a bunch of machines for the day and got blasted with radiation. 
Well it appeared to work for a bit but the last two months I've had pain and numbness in my face (yes at the same time) could have developed Anesthesia Dolorosa,  so waiting to see, also being treated for brain swelling with these awful steroids, nausea, bloating, dizziness, chest pains, they are completely screwing with me. 
Feeling so rubbish at the moment.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 16 Feb 2022 11:27 PM
Burztur - 16 Feb 2022 11:22 PM

Was in the past because it was classe as 'volunteer' work and free but now they've closed that loophole because we're being paid hence the $80 fee.

Not sure if that makes sense. If you're a volunteer it costs nothing.

Refs are paid so it's $80.

On the plus side it lasts 5 years.

well at least its 5yrs which is surprising by the State Feds lol.......money grabbing buggas.

I'm still amazed by the out of pocket cost still at those levels.

Good luck mate, hope the players give you curry force the pressure on you lol........

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend

Burztur - 16 Feb 2022 11:22 PM
Munrubenmuz - 16 Feb 2022 10:51 PM

WWCC can be free of you're doing things as a non-profit/charity. Can you do that?

Was in the past because it was classe as 'volunteer' work and free but now they've closed that loophole because we're being paid hence the $80 fee.

Not sure if that makes sense. If you're a volunteer it costs nothing.

Refs are paid so it's $80.

On the plus side it lasts 5 years.

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 16 Feb 2022 10:51 PM
Registered to ref again this year.

$170.00 Registration
Working with children check $80.00
4 different coloured shirts (black, red, yellow, blue) - 4 x $35 = $140.00
2 pairs of shorts $30.00 each = $60.00

Total = $450.00

Fortunately I had one pair of shorts from last year + 3 of the shirts.

Still. Any noob is in for a shock.

WWCC can be free of you're doing things as a non-profit/charity. Can you do that?
Muz
Muz
Legend

Registered to ref again this year.

$170.00 Registration
Working with children check $80.00
4 different coloured shirts (black, red, yellow, blue) - 4 x $35 = $140.00
2 pairs of shorts $30.00 each = $60.00

Total = $450.00

Fortunately I had one pair of shorts from last year + 3 of the shirts.

Still. Any noob is in for a shock.

Member since 2008.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

3 in a row!!! I COMPLAIN ALOT!

WGMG: Been waiting to be eligible for my jab (I'm 36 and can't have the AZ, otherwise I would) while friends of mine who are younger are getting priority because they work for a public service department that has no contact with vulnerable people.  Just another public system rort. Turns out they can all get Pfizer at any stage they want. 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

scubaroo - 2 Jun 2021 12:02 PM
WGMG: this latest victorian lockdown is seriously pissing me off, i worked through the first two so i was lucky but this one is getting me. I understand the premise of the 5km rule,  but that only works in Melbourne. I feel like it's designed so yes,  you have all your necessities and you can travel outside that if they aren't available,  which is unlikely in Melbourne.
 That 5km in Melbourne is also going to probably have a fair bit of luxury things like parks,  restaurants etc. My question is how can they determine 5km is good for regional areas. 

I live 20km from geelong,  we have 1 supermarket and no restaurants, an area that's being built so no footpaths or parks to walk around

My parents live in northern vic, their supermarket has no toilet paper,  paper towel,  tissues, and milk and bread is gone early and the butcher is short on meat because they've apparently replenished Melbourne stores where there were panic buyers.

Just havin a rant over very little things. 

5 minutes later they announce regional will be free midnight thursday
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

WGMG: this latest victorian lockdown is seriously pissing me off, i worked through the first two so i was lucky but this one is getting me. I understand the premise of the 5km rule,  but that only works in Melbourne. I feel like it's designed so yes,  you have all your necessities and you can travel outside that if they aren't available,  which is unlikely in Melbourne.
 That 5km in Melbourne is also going to probably have a fair bit of luxury things like parks,  restaurants etc. My question is how can they determine 5km is good for regional areas. 

I live 20km from geelong,  we have 1 supermarket and no restaurants, an area that's being built so no footpaths or parks to walk around

My parents live in northern vic, their supermarket has no toilet paper,  paper towel,  tissues, and milk and bread is gone early and the butcher is short on meat because they've apparently replenished Melbourne stores where there were panic buyers.

Just havin a rant over very little things. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 28 May 2021 10:44 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 28 May 2021 7:51 PM

Just saw this Carlito, speedy recovery champ.

Cheers mono.  It's gonna be a long road but I'm a different person . This won't break me.  Found out my leg was a open break 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 28 May 2021 7:51 PM
Munrubenmuz - 26 May 2021 12:23 PM

Cheers mate
Now back at home but the long road to recovery starts. I feel useless

Just saw this Carlito, speedy recovery champ.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 26 May 2021 12:23 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 25 May 2021 2:19 PM

If only you lived in America.  You'd be a millionaire after an accident like that.

All the best with your recovery.

Cheers mate
Now back at home but the long road to recovery starts. I feel useless
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

LFC. - 26 May 2021 9:19 AM

ewwww, man no good, compo coverage I expect.
Heal well and fast.

Work has been on the ball. Work over has been looked after. Boss and everyone at the aal group have messaged and checked up on me. Had a rod and screws put into my leg. Also my gym also has been really supportive and comforting.  I'm truly honoured and blessed 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Wgmg: ,broke my left leg at work yesterday.  A 200kgs forklift attachment fell on me.  Weirdly my pain threshold is extremely high as I didn't scream 

Damn. Hope you have a good recovery.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Wgmg: ,broke my left leg at work yesterday.  A 200kgs forklift attachment fell on me.  Weirdly my pain threshold is extremely high as I didn't scream 

If only you lived in America.  You'd be a millionaire after an accident like that.

All the best with your recovery.

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search