Articles Links Research & Papers on player development

Articles Links Research & Papers on player development

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Arthur wrote:
Quote:

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/01/22/jurgen-klinsmann-us-mens-national-soccer-team-sounds-off/

January 22, 2013, 6:46 PM ET

Jurgen Klinsmann Sounds OffByMatthew Futterman

Getty Images
Jurgen Klinsmann looks on during the U.S. men’s soccer team training session at the Home Depot Center last week in Carson, Calif.

Jurgen Klinsmann, the former German star who now coaches the U.S. men’s national soccer team, is a man of strong opinions, especially when the subject is just what it takes to reach the pinnacle of his sport. Klinsmann has done it all in during his career. He’s won a Wolrd Cup as a player and coached a resurgent German side to the 2006 semifinal, in addition to starring for some of the most hallowed clubs in the game, including Bayern Munich and Inter Milan.

Now he is trying to lift the U. S. men’s team into the game’s top tier, a task he says requires a shift that is equal parts, cultural, physical and tactical. In a rare lengthy interview, Klinsmann, whose second and third languages are better than some peoples’ native tongues, expounded upon his experiences and the task at hand.

Excerpts:

On the difference between coaching Germany and the U.S. and the need for a January camp for MLS players:

It is different, but at the same time it’s something that you want to be part of to improve certain things in what we are doing here. It is necessary because the off-season is way too long for the professional players here. In order to catch up with the rest of the world you need to have an 11-month calendar full of training and games if you want to get used to play on a very high intensity level throughout the entire year.

On whether it’s strange that someone used to playing in the game’s palaces is now competing in places like Jamaica and Antigua:
I always loved the variety of what the game has given me. In Europe you have games in Albania and Moldova, in very, very poor eastern European countries. The game gives you the opportunity to travel to places where probably as a normal tourist you never would have gone. We played Iran years ago, where the whole city of Tehran freaked out. 120,000 people. Yeah, we won the game but it was actually not about the game anymore, it was about what you lived through socially.

Now when you go through Concacaf to Antigua or Jamaica, or now you go to Honduras and Costa Rica, I see that as a huge learning opportunity. Inhale it, whatever the opportunity gives to you. If the field is bad as a player, there are always two teams on the field. If the conditions are bad, it’s the conditions for both teams. As a really good player you always find ways to solve it.

On whether he identifies as an American or a German after living in the U.S. for 15 years:
I certainly feel part of the American lifestyle. I adopted a lot of components. I have the advantage that I can compare a lot of things without bad-mouthing the other side. I can see a lot of ups in Europe and I can see a lot of ups that you have in America without putting down the other side, because every place is unique. Every place has its pro and cons. This country for us as a family and also where it is right now with soccer, it’s a really exciting time, because it has the biggest potential to grow in this country compared with all the other sports.

On the differences between an American and European player:

We would say it would be great if our 18- or 19- or 20-year-olds would have an environment where they get pushed every day, where they are accountable every day, where they understand what it means to be a pro, where they have 11 months of training, games, training games, where they have a chance to build their stamina to build their systems so you can really take in the game as a leading component, not just seven or eight months and then I go on vacation.

On whether talented American teens need to move to Europe:

You can’t answer that because I was not ready to go abroad until I was 24. Why would you send an 18-year old over in that situation? Maybe he has the talent, but maybe he is not ready, the support is not there, the family is not there, and you break his neck because he goes too early. But maybe another 18-year-old is able to do it. He is focused and more mature. [U.S. defender] Michael Bradley is a good example. He was more mature.

On the importance of attitude:

There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. And if you have three or four players on a 23- or 24-man roster that thinks it’s going to be easy you are done. And so [the German team] threw away a quarterfinal against Bulgaria (in 1994). We thought we won it already. It was 1-nil up, we scored a second goal, it was disallowed. It was a clear goal we thought at Giants Stadium, and suddenly they hit you with a free kick and a header and within a few minutes the game was over. And you stand on the field and you say, ‘Hold on a second. Rewind. What just happened? We are the better team.’

On what makes Spain so good:

They have that approach to the game that carries them from title to title, because they never get content they never get settled with the last success and they want to continue to play on a very high level. So it’s the team to beat in world football and also it’s the team to look at and to learn [from]. Last year I was in Brazil for a coaching seminar and the Brazilians, they have so many doubts now because they think, “How come we can’t catch up with Spain?” and it kills them because they are five-time world champions.

On the connection between a culture and the play on the field:

If you play a way on the field that is not what the people want to see, then you are going to fail anyway because there is not an energy connection between the people in the stands and what they see, and it is not only results-based. It is what they see, the body language of the players, the excitement, how they identify with their roles now.

[In Germany before the 2006 World Cup] it was a two-year process that was very different than what the people had experienced before. It was the government that asked for it, the media that asked for it. Everybody was in the same boat. We said the only way was we got to attack we got to go forward, maybe it’s in our DNA, maybe it was wrongfully in our DNA in two world wars. Who knows that? I don’t know; I was not even born yet. But I just said we Germans, we can’t take just defending, just sitting back, and waiting and countering. We’re not good at that. We need to take things into our own hands. We are a hard-working nation, we are doers. We can’t react to whatever happens. The Italians, they react, they sit back, they relax, they have a nice espresso and they say, “O.K., now, once you make your wrong move, [we] are going to counter-break and kill you.”

On his impact on the U.S. style:

I can’t come with my German approach and say this is how I want to do it in the U.S., because in the U.S., it would fail. I have certain experiences in different countries, I can understand many connections there, but I have to do it the way it is best for the players here, not how I would like to have it if I were somewhere else.

On the U.S. team’s mental approach:

We made some progress in terms of having the confidence to challenge the big nations, with a thought in mind to say we want to beat you here if we go to Italy or to Mexico. If we lose, so be it, maybe you were the better team and then we give you a compliment, but until the game is over we are going to give you a real fight.

On his players’ fitness:

The transition that you are trying to go through from reactive to proactive is also a transition on the physical side, because you have to do far more to play this type of a game than if you react to the game. That’s why Italians work two hours on the field on tactics and they barely move. They just walk. They know to perfection how to play in certain spaces, and they only need two chances to win the game. That is their way of doing it. I don’t think we are made for that here. People are for more. They say, “We want to attack, we want to create chances, we want to score as soon as possible.” But if you get into that aggressive-minded game, then you have to become even fitter than you ever were before.

On the importance of peer pressure for U.S. players:

This learning process, more and more they will understand it, that it is important that you know what you eat, that it is important that you know what sleep does to you. It is important that you know what alcohol will do to you if you consume it. The environment didn’t teach them those things before.

You play in Italy, your environment will teach you that. You go out to a restaurant they will watch you carefully what you eat and what you drink and if you drink more than two glasses of wine you get the looks from people. You understand by the looks–am I doing the right thing or the wrong thing? If you are in Europe or in South America, you are right away accountable for your actions. The soccer player is not bothered here at 3 o’clock in a night club, but if you would do that in Italy or Germany you are on the front page the next day or in England on the back page.

On Landon Donovan’s future:

Landon wanted his time off. He made certain decisions throughout the last couple of years that are his decisions. I watch that. I evaluate that. I could have evaluated him a few times when he was with us, not that many times, but a few times. I will make the call at the end of the day if he fits into my plans or not. I told him in December he’s not part of the January camp, and I told him in December he’s not part of the Honduras game. From his perspective, he’s still on his break.

On what’s missing in U.S. Soccer:

It’s not the accountability environment that we have in these other soccer-driven countries. [Players in the U.S.] settle very early because they don’t get the peer pressure. If a player makes it to MLS when he is 18- or 19-years old, he thinks he made it. This is the problem we have because we are not socially so connected so deeply to soccer in the daily life. They think, you get a tryout in Europe with West Ham, this is huge, you made it. No, you haven’t even made it if you have the contract with West Ham. And even if you play there and if you become a starter, which would make us happy, that still doesn’t mean that you made it.

[size=6]My whole talk to Clint Dempsey for 18 months was [about how] he hasn’t made s—. You play for Fulham? Yeah, so? Show me you play for a Champions League team, and then you start on a Champions League team and that you may end up winning the Champions League. There is always another level. If you one day reach the highest level then you’ve got to confirm it, every year. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi. Confirm it to me. Show me that every year you deserve to play for Real Madrid, for Bayern Munich, for Manchester United. Show it to me.[/size]

On the best moments he has seen the past 18 months:

You saw sequences in almost all of the games but certainly in the World Cup qualifiers at home against Jamaica, against Guatemala, where they completely outplayed both teams. It could have been three- or four-nil. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. It would have looked nicer. It was great to see how they took the pace to another level. The passing pace, the movement off the ball, playing out of the back with confidence. You didn’t see it for 90 minutes but you see it more and more and more, and this excites us. To play in Italy and to play with them, to challenge, boom-boom-boom, suddenly, there was moments where on the sidelines you say, “It’s working.” Even if it’s not enough time yet, but they are developing that sense.

On the worst of what he has seen:

The inconsistency. You got to prove it in a bad environment as well as in a good environment. You got to prove it on a bad field the same way as on a nice field. You can’t play the passing game, but give the same energy, the same determination, the same confidence. Give the signals to the opponent that we are not here to get beaten. Just adjust to wherever you are. We didn’t adjust to the physicality of Jamaica in Jamaica and then we gave away two or three stupid fouls.

On representing Germany:

You understood you are here to get a job done, because if you don’t get a job done you will hear it all over the place tomorrow. You had that pride and that confidence that you will get the job done. A confidence of a team to win many trophies over many decades, it’s a long-term evolution in the whole society. It’s not something that is only done on the soccer field. The U.S. has the confidence and the drive to say in basketball we will beat any team in the world. That has been built over decades because your system outclasses every other system in the world. So you say, “If we do our job properly, if we go to an Olympics we are going to win.” Brazil has that sense or maybe Spain right now. Germany had it a few years ago, though maybe we are lacking some element now to beat Spain, so it’s a path, a long-term path you have to follow.

Copyright 2013 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

The print I have enlarged is reflective of my opinion that for the Socceroos to be successful at International level and at a World Cup by consistently making Quarter finals and Semi Finals, we need players at clubs competing in Champions League, playing in the top leagues in Europe and in the starting line ups of clubs like Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG, Lyon, Marseille, Barca, RM, AThletico, Valencia, AC Milan, Inter, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund, etc.
This is what Klinsmann is telling the USA players need to achieve this to if they are to become a World Power.

I would add that we could take a slightly different route as well if our boys played in the top South American teams in particular Brazil and Argentina, something that the USA could more easily achieve with their players.
But having players at Santos, Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Vasco, Boca, River Plate, Newells Old Boys etc may also be options.

When thinking along these lines there is a massive job to be done in player development in this country but maybe creating channels or links to these big European, or Soth American, Clubs may assist with our progress.
These channels could be for coaching exchanges, adminstration conferences, player links of course, sharing sports science, providing training facilities etc. etc.

Interesting reading Klinsmann's perspectives.

They can be extrapolated to an Australian context, given similarities in our football milieus.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
Wednesday, 26 December 2012
INSTANT RESULTS
http://foundationssportsgroup.blogspot.com.au/
Gus Cerro
In today's society, we are all looking for instant results, instant gratification, so we can feel good about ourselves, so we can justify our exertions.
What one needs to understand is that in Football nothing is short term. This is especially so when it comes to game related methods.
What many don't understand or are not aware of is that what Spain has achieved these past few years did not happen overnight!
It is hard to write about football because when you do, quite often it will be misunderstood or more than likely questioned without any validation or facts behind what they are being critical of!
Football is a highly opinionated game and everyone is an expert with in depth knowledge of a game that after all these years I myself am still trying to understand. However when you dedicate your life to doing so you are able to form an educated opinion on matters relating to the game and on my part that of developing footballers.
After nearly 10 years of working with children of all ages I can honestly say that I am not nearly close to perfecting myself as an educator and it is this attitude I take towards continuing to learn something new every day that I believe has equipped me with the ability to do my job well. What I have learned over the years is that there is no magic wand that transforms a child into a football superstar. I have learned that many of the world's best players are the best not because of their development through coaches but through circumstances that include their childhood environment, their influences, their parents and where they live.
These are only a few amongst a plethora of factors to consider before you even begin to delve into their football development. This, however, does not mean that a child is destined to become a superstar merely because of their circumstance. A child that has talent needs that talent to be realised. In the case of Messi, he was fortunate that he ended up at Barca because he entered a development system as such that provides the means of fostering talent and which has helped him reach his full potential along with those around him - today we see a team packed with super players capable of incredible feats. One must understand however that the end product was a long-term and continual work in progress. This progress has led to the fruition of clubs like Barca which is now at a point where their development system is regarded as the best in the world.

It takes time for anyone to truly develop their full potential.
When discussing game related methods those that do not understand the concept will question its merit.
Most will not be able to understand how a child develops technically within a game. I keep hearing and reading the words 'corrective technique method'. I keep reading that a player cannot progress unless the game is stripped back to its solitary movement or function and such movement/function must be corrected in isolation.
These opinions all come from coaches that think they can improve a player's technique with this method. The problem is that it is only one small part of developing technique!
Football is a dynamic game and within that environment you have a million different variables that exist. Variables such as time, movement, moments, stance, positioning, thinking, reading, size, cohesion, cognition, motivation, boredom, excitement, adrenalin, confidence, speed, space and the list goes on and on and on.
These variables cannot be taken literally, for example, size cannot be treated as a singular variable, size can mean multiple things along with speed. The bottom line is that there is no one-size-fits-all way of doing things unless you utilise the game in its entirety. The only true form of development which encapsulates all of these variables is the game. This is so for any age group and any level. The key is for the teacher to understand the game and all of its variables first.
Understanding the variables allows you to chop and change, adapt and assess. Understanding kids' cognitive, physical, mental and emotional stages will enable you to adapt the games to suit the level that these players are at. Coaching kids is liable to constant, unpredictable change. No training session is ever the same: you could do a game related drill that goes extremely well, players executing things perfectly the next day; you can do the same drill with the same kids and it could all turn pear-shaped. Finding the balance and learning to identify the dynamics of what you are teaching will improve the players' technique, insight and every other variable within the game. It would be close to impossible to write a book on this as there are a million different ways you can facilitate a game based drill.

Technique can be learned within the game; South Americans have been doing it through street football for as long as one cares to remember and they are still producing more technical and more creative players than the rest of the world. Once again it would be foolish to think that this is the only reason why they develop so many players, you can add all the other variables that don't exist in other parts of the world that contribute towards the large number of players they export every year!

A coach can teach technique within the game environment, in fact I believe players learn to control the ball quicker in game play and if the game is structured properly they will still get their thousand touches of the ball per session only it will be a thousand touches where they will also have a multitude of other variables around them to focus on. By doing it this way they adapt to chaos and learn to make sense out of chaos. Again it is silly to presume that this is a one size fits all solution. Common sense tells us that this is why we have grading, to find the balance, allowing kids to evolve at their own pace within their own level and ability.

The only form of isolated training I use and endorse is co-ordination exercises with a ball. These are fundamental for the younger age groups. I do not do passing practices, only individual one player one ball co-ordination work and the amount and time spent on such a task once again is dependent on the level of the group. Sometimes I'll do ten minutes sometimes it will take a three quarters of a session, it is determined by a multitude of different variables such as emotional state, weather and group dynamics or numbers.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

http://twitdoc.com/upload/christopnugent/korean-national-team-periodization.pdf

Link to Raymond Verheijen notes on Periodisation
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Quote:
JAN 22, 2012

http://blog.80percentmental.com/2012/01/michel-bruyninckx-trains-soccer-brains.html#.UQJyjL8U9-Q
Michel Bruyninckx Trains Soccer Brains
By Dan Peterson

Michel Bruyninckx
When describing what’s wrong with today’s youth soccer coaching, Michel Bruyninckx points to his head. “We need to stop thinking football is only a matter of the body,” the 59-year old Belgian Uefa A license coach and Standard Liège academy director recently told the BBC. “Skillfulness will only grow if we better understand the mental part of developing a player. Cognitive readiness, improved perception, better mastering of time and space in combination with perfect motor functioning.”

We’re not talking about dribbling around orange cones here. Bruyninckx’s approach, which he dubs “brain centered learning” borrows heavily from the constructivist theory of education that involves a total immersion of the student in the learning activity.

In fact, there are three components to the related concept of “brain based” teaching:
Orchestra immersion – the idea that the student must be thrown into the pool of the learning experience so that they are fully immersed in the experience.
Relaxed alertness – a way of providing a challenging environment for the student but not have them stressed out by the chance of error.
Active processing – the means by which a student can constantly process information in different ways so that it is ingrained in his neural pathways, allowing them to consolidate and internalize the new material.
This “training from the neck up” approach is certainly different than the traditional emphasis on technical skills and physical fitness. The brain seems to be the last frontier for sports training and others are starting to take note of it.

“I think that coaches either forget, or don’t even realise, that football is a hugely cognitive sport,” said the Uefa-A licence coach Kevin McGreskin in a recent Sports Illustrated story. “We’ve got to develop the players’ brains as well as their bodies but it’s much easier to see and measure the differences we make to a player’s physiology than we can with their cognitive attributes.”

At the Standard Liège facility outside of Brussels, Bruyninckx currently coaches about 68 players between the age of 12 and 19, who have been linked with first and second division Belgian clubs. If there was any question if his methods are effective, about 25% of the 100 or so players that he has coached have turned pro. By comparison, according to the Professional Footballers’ Association, of the 600 boys joining pro clubs at age 16, 500 are out of the game by age 21.
His training tactics try to force the players’ brains to constantly multitask so that in-game decision making can keep up with the pace of the game. ”You have to present new activities that players are not used to doing. If you repeat exercises too much the brain thinks it knows the answers,” Bruyninckx added. “By constantly challenging the brain and making use of its plasticity you discover a world that you thought was never available. Once the brain picks up the challenge you create new connections and gives remarkable results.”

The geometry of the game is stressed through most training exercises. Soccer is a game of constantly changing angles which need to be instantly analyzed and used before the opportunity closes. Finding these angles has to be a reaction from hours of practice since there is no time to search during a game.

“Football is an angular game and needs training of perception — both peripheral sight and split vision,” said Bruyninckx. “Straight, vertical playing increases the danger of losing the ball. If a team continuously plays the balls at angles at a very high speed it will be quite impossible to recover the ball. The team rhythm will be so high that your opponent will never get into the match.”

Certainly, brain-centered learning faces enormous inertia among the coaching establishment. Still, for those teams looking for the extra edge, the Bruyninckx method is gaining fans. “Michel’s methods and philosophy touch on the last frontier of developing world-class individuals on and off the field – the brain,” respected tennis coach Pete McCraw stated. “His methods transcend current learning frameworks and challenge traditional beliefs of athlete development in team sports. It is pioneering work, better still it has broad applications across many sporting disciplines.”

[youtube]3rRnYQZS2yU[/youtube]

[youtube]3cqa5ewHxOE[/youtube]

[youtube]y6oFjXzQURo[/youtube]

[youtube]QpbL8r5q5yw[/youtube]

[youtube]J3Sl3UoF7tQ[/youtube]

[youtube]0ASyhMkbIAY[/youtube]

[youtube]3yBF9BDMhJc[/youtube]

[youtube]uk-7odeF2wY[/youtube]

[youtube]xKSrs_036S8[/youtube]

[youtube]zBg-RgEkHyM[/youtube]

[youtube]_T4gpNLkOjQ[/youtube]

[youtube]I7aYb-0s300[/youtube]

Edited by Arthur: 25/1/2013 11:02:38 PM
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Quote:

Standard Liege's Bruyninckx leads way in developing mental capacity
Story Highlights
Michel Bruyninckx is innovating methods to improve the brain's performance
To improve decision-making, complex drills are designed to foster concentration
Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho is among those interested in Bruyninckx's ideas

By John Sinnott, Special to SI.com

Belgium international midfielder Steven Defour is among those to have benefitted from working with Michel Bruyninckx.
Geert Vanden Wijngaert/AP

Editor's note: This is an exclusive offered to Sports Illustrated by the collective of writers at The Blizzard. To read more, download Issue Three of The Blizzard which is out now on a pay-what-you-like basis. Find out more at http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/.
Football, Johan Cruyff said, is a game you play with your brain. Michel Bruyninckx takes that claim more seriously than most. Terms like pedagogy, didactical principles, cognitive readiness and differential learning trip off the Belgian coach's tongue as easily as catenaccio as he explains his "brain centred learning" approach to training young players. "When you make use of difficult words people feel resentment," said the Standard Liège academy director, who is arguably the first football coach to develop a training method specifically to target improvement in the brain's performance. "But when you see the training you can see it works."
Bruyninckx is talking in his office in the €18 million state-of-the-art Academie Robert Louis-Dreyfus, which is widely regarded as one of the best in Europe. Located in the Saint-Jean forest just up the road from the club's Stade de Sclessin, the academy has a futuristic feel, particularly when set aganst the fading industry of Liège. It is an appropriate setting for a coach who is as comfortable talking about neuroscience as he is about football tactics.
The idea behind his approach is simple -- to make players think as quickly with their brains as they kick the ball with their feet. "We need to develop an engram -- a neurological track -- in the brain," said Bruyninckx, who aims for his players to be in a state of "conscious" learning at all times when they are training and playing. It is about creating new connections in the brain's circuitry and hard wiring them in. Key to this is the part played by myelin, an insulating material that forms a layer -- the myelin sheath -- usually around only the axon of a neuron and which gets thicker when the nerve is repeatedly stimulated. "What do good athletes do when they train? They send precise impulses along wires that give the signal to myelinate that wire. They end up, after all the training, with a super-duper wire. That's what makes them different from the rest of us," George Bartzokis, a professor of neurology at UCLA, told Daniel Coyle of the New York Times in 2007.
The attraction of developing more intelligent players would seem obvious for any self-respecting football coach, but the high drop-out rate -- "In England we've judged players by the time they are 17 or 18," said the Southampton scout David Webb -- suggests the world of youth development in Britain could do with a little more blue sky thinking. And why are they being rejected at such an early age when the brain is not fully developed until the age of 25?
But it's not just the high wastage rate. In the 2008-09 season 57 percent of players at Premier League academies were born between September and December, while 14 percent had their birthday between May and August. That suggests that the more physically mature children in any given school year are being selected by clubs, which in turn means an English Lionel Messi (born June) or Andrès Iniesta (born May) is unlikely to be turning up any time soon. "We always thought that sporting activities were mechanical activities, but we know that there are interventions from the brain," said Bruyninckx, warming to his theme. "Think of what Real Madrid experienced during el Clásico when they were beaten 5-0 by Barcelona last season. This requires high concentration and creativeness, which is only possible if you bring the brain into a conscious process of performing. A new way of training -- actually synaptogenesis -- creating new brain connections."
Bruyninckx is not the only coach advocating more intelligent and innovative approaches to training. "I think that coaches either forget, or don't even realise, that football is a hugely cognitive sport," said the Uefa-A licence coach Kevin McGreskin. "We've got to develop the players' brains as well as their bodies but it's much easier to see and measure the differences we make to a player's physiology than we can with their cognitive attributes."
The worry for McGreskin, who delivers workshops to professional clubs, is that for too long England has been coaching players in "pretty much the same way, but expecting the end product to be different and thinking somehow talent will magically appear."
The drills Bruyninckx uses -- "in five years I don't think I've used the same drills three times" -- start off simply but grow in complexity to foster concentration and touch. This idea of "overload" ensures that the players are more actively involved during an exercise even when they are not on the ball. The pre-eminence of the team over the individual is key for Bruyninckx -- "we have to do it together" is one of his mantras -- and as he shows a video of players performing various training routines he jokes that what they are is doing is football's equivalent of social media networking.
"Football is an angular game and needs training of perception -- both peripheral sight and split vision," said Bruyninckx. "Straight, vertical playing increases the danger of losing the ball. If a team continuously plays the balls at angles at a very high speed it will be quite impossible to recover the ball. The team rhythm will be so high that your opponent will never get into the match."
The idea of overload is as key for McGreskin as it is for Bruyninckx. While the Belgian might get his players to speak in four different languages when they are doing strength and conditioning work, the Scot has devised one exercise in which players have to throw a tennis ball and call out colours while they are passing a football in sequence. "We are not providing kids with the challenges that they need to meet the demands of the modern game," said McGreskin, who has recently started a project working with the Partick Thistle first team. "Overload exercises help the player speed up the feet and the thought process."
McGreskin argues the decision making of too many players is not quick enough, a weakness that is caused by their inability to scan the pitch when they are without the ball. It is a view supported by research carried out by Professor Geir Jordet of the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences. Using Sky Sports' PlayerCam function, Jordet examined 55 Premier League midfielders' head movements and found that the more these players scanned their surroundings, the statistically more successful they were with their passes. "The visually most active third of the players completed almost twice as many forward passes as the least active players," said Jordet.
McGreskin added, "Don't forget almost 98 percent of the game is played off the ball. Even in a basic passing drill I force the players to work on perception, scanning skills, technique, adjustability, concentration, attention focus and attention bandwidth. It's quite amazing the effect it can have on players."
Bruyninckx is the first to admit that he is a bit of an outsider -- "when Darwin was talking about evolution people thought he was crazy" -- but this summer the Belgian got a foot firmly inside the football establishment's door when he was appointed head of Standard's youth academy. His growing reputation has led to a couple of meetings with Real Madrid, including one with José Mourinho, an interesting development given the way the Madrid club have lagged behind Barça in the development of young players. "Mourinho immediately understood what I'm trying to do and he asked a lot of intelligent questions," said Bruyninckx. "He also noticed that the organisation of the drills requires a greater team involvement, more concentration, attention, a continuous inciting of perception and that intelligent playing could grow a lot. I was most of all surprised by the fact he could instantly see how several technical details would be in favour of his players and the straight coupling of the contents of several drills to his players' individual characteristics was striking. He was not talking about a general programme but processed directly the new insights to his daily training and coaching. He cares a lot about his players."

Before his appointment at Liège, Bruyninckx was coaching youngsters between the age of 12 and 19 who were affiliated to first and second division Belgian clubs such as Mechelen, Westerlo, Anderlecht, Sint-Truiden, OHL Leuven, Vise and KVK Tienen. The youngsters, both boys and girls, had been selected by the Belgian football federation and studied at Redingenhof secondary school near Brussels. Now Bruyninckx is at an institution which has a very different raison d'être -- to produce football players who will help Standard win the Jupiler League before they are -- more than likely -- snapped up by other European clubs.
With five grass pitches as well as an 800-seater stadium, an artificial pitch, a covered training area and a luxury hotel with 30 rooms, the Liège academy, which opened in 2007, is much in demand. Since arriving at Liège, Bruyninckx has received approaches from hundreds of young players from all over the world wanting to come and train with the Belgian club. For weekend matches it is not unusual for 40 agents to be watching games.
Bruyninckx's appointment at Liège followed the arrival of the club's new coach José Riga, another advocate of brain training, who used it when he was coach of the second division club CS Vise. "It's such an intelligent way to learn," said Riga of his academy director's approach. "The exercises are always based on geometrical figures such as rectangles or diamonds. They start off simply but increase in complexity. You have to be running at the same time and looking to see your partners' rhythm. You need to think about putting the ball at a certain angle and you have to think about rhythm, synchronisation and movement. It's not repetition without reflection."
Bruyninckx emphasises that each drill makes use of "tracing" which forces players to reposition themselves as they would in a game. "My organisation is always referring to the reality of a game," he said. He insists that the work he does as a coach incorporates many other aspects -- kinesiology, psychology, biomechanics -- while his players also train with the rhythmic ball -- a small net with room for a football that is then held by the hand to ensure that the ball always stays close to a player -- to maximise the number of touches.
Geoff Noonan, who is Fulham academy co-ordinator for the Under-7 to Under-11 age groups, decided to order 150 of the balls for his players after meeting Bruyninckx at a conference in May. "The rhythmic ball helps to open the hips, and is good for passes across your body, side-on volleys as well as helping a player's weaker foot," said Noonan. "It also allows kids to practise at home and helps them to balance both the left and right sides. The idea of home practice is really useful -- we've lost that culture of kids playing impromptu games on their own and the rhythmic ball provides a way of replacing that."
Barcelona players' high technical level and non-stop movement provide the benchmark for Bruyninckx, but Noonan argues that Barça's recent success as well as Spain's Euro 2008 and 2010 World Cup triumphs are linked to the number of games Spanish youngsters play. "Having visited Spain the way the game is learned over there is not by drills, because that doesn't teach game sense," said Noonan. "In Spain they learn through a games-based approach to help develop and understand time and space. They might play 80-120 games a year, with lots of matches at tournaments and festivals. Playing so many games helps young players to see images in similar situations over and over again. What we need to do is give the kids a good game sense -- understanding time and space -- and develop good technique. We need lots of games and lots of different types of games -- 2 v 2, 3 v 3, 7 v 6 etc -- with lots of different tactics."
Noonan has brought in the consultant and author Mick Critchell, who in the past has coached Arsenal's Theo Walcott and Southampton's Adam Lallana, and has carried out research in the way the brain works. Critchell is an advocate of this approach based on small-sided games -- in essence a way of replicating street football -- and provides a scientific explanation to support his argument. During a two-hour exploration of the brain's workings and its development from birth until it has fully formed, encompassing an in-depth look at its reptilian, limbic, neo-cortex and corpus callosum structures, Critchell explains that while the left side provides logical and rational skills, the right side is the resource for more emotional and intuitive skills.
He argues that the game in England has been taught through the left brain, which is too slow for a fast-moving game like football, and that players develop best when the right and left brain are working together: the technique and the decision making. "It is essential to activate the right brain and analogous vision by continually putting players in unpredictable situations," said Critchell, who walked out on an in-service evening when he saw the Cruyff turn broken down into 13 different parts. "We therefore need to teach small-sided games which are appropriate for the age and ability of each child."
The 68-year-old Critchell references a piece of research by John Moores University that found that more than 50 percent of time in English academies is spent on fitness training or unopposed practices and less than 20 percent on playing small-sided games. "Not only are we developing poor technical players, said Critchell, "we are also creating poor decision makers. We need players who have the ability to play in the future -- a vision to know what to do before receiving the ball. This won't change unless we get rid of the drills."
A former secondary-school teacher, Critchell talks of the importance of the brain's place and grid cells -- "space-mapping neurons linked to a memory-forming region in the brain called the hippocampus" -- which allow players, indeed all humans, to map space. "In roughly 10 seconds, Paul Scholes will see a hundred alternatives and then make choices that will draw on his place and grid cells," said Critchell. The grid cells "act as though the playing surface has got triangles marked out all over it," he added. That makes the playing of small-sided games like 3 v 3 so important "as it allows players to understand that shape better".
Listening to Critchell's advice, Fulham have also introduced a movement programme for all their age groups. He points out that many African and South American children grow up in societies in which dance is a major part of culture. In dances like the samba and salsa, the brain has to coordinate eight or nine different body parts at the same time, which is great for balance, rhythm and body control. Noonan heard Bruyninckx speak at a conference organised by Bacons College academy, a secondary school in Docklands, the day before Barcelona's victory over Manchester United in the Champions League final in May. Over the last few years the former USSR international Sergei Baltacha has established a thriving football academy at Bacons College -- a number of his players also train with London Premier League clubs -- and has developed a close relationship with Bruyninckx.
The Belgian insists that his players be as committed to their education -- "If I can affect your concentration and attention during my training you will take it to school" -- as they are to their football development, a belief shared by Baltacha. "Keeping the athlete grounded will stop us from creating 'Tin Sporting Gods' who in their late teens or early twenties fail to reach their potential in and out of sport," said Tom Eisenhuth, who works closely with Baltacha at Bacons College. "This model is the lifeblood of Sergei's philosophy."
Bruyninckx estimates 25 percent of the 100 or so players that he coached before joining Standard have turned professional or are in the women's national squads. The former Standard Liège midfielder Steven Defour, now at Porto, and the PSV Eindhoven attacking midfielder Dries Mertens are the two most high-profile players with whom the Belgian coach has worked. Another player Bruyninckx coached is the Belgium midfielder Faris Haroun, who joined Middlesbrough in the summer from Germinal Beerschot, scoring on his debut in the 3-1 win over Birmingham. On a trip to Belgium to meet Bruyninckx earlier this year, Haroun joined his mentor for lunch and happily sat through a two-hour Powerpoint presentation that included a hefty dollop of neuroscience. Haroun's concentrated demeanour was noticeable.
Perhaps what really differentiates Bruyninckx from other coaches is that he is not only interested in creating better football players, but also wants to create better human beings so that if they do not make the grade professionally they will be capable of going on to have fulfilling lives. "It's all about having communication with your athletes and finding out how your players are organised," said Bruyninckx. "It is important not to impose your ideas immediately. If a child has a recently divorced family, that child is not emotionally available to learn something. We all see present-day problems and that sometimes the social behaviour of players is not correct. We have to do it together."
Talking to a number of interviewees who have had experience of youth development both in the UK and abroad, what is striking is the sense that European clubs have a more rigorous and analytical approach to coaching young players. Villarreal have 76 coaches working in their academy, all of whom have physical education and child development qualifications, while up to the age of 12 their players would be deployed in at least three different positions during a game. "In Europe there is a real understanding of a child's emotional development and where the kids have come from," said Webb, who is currently studying for an MSc in Sports Psychology while scouting for Southampton, and has been a frequent visitor to Bayer Leverkusen's academy. "I noticed there is more human and cultural understanding with foreign coaches. And there is a real understanding of the type of coaching kids need at certain ages. It's a very systematic and analytical approach to development."
Over the last few years the exploration of how talent is best developed has seen a proliferation of books on the subject, notably Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, Geoff Colvin's Talent is Overrated, Matthew Syed's Bounce, John Ratey's and Eric Hagerman's Spark and Daniel Coyle's The Talent Code. As Critchell notes, "Everybody is searching for the Holy Grail." Given the millions that are at stake in developing players the search is only likely to intensify. Bruyninckx's theories may seem strange now, but as that quest goes on they could become standard practice.
Follow John Sinnott on Twitter @JohnSinnott
This is an exclusive offered to Sports Illustrated by the collective of writers at The Blizzard. To read more, download Issue Three of The Blizzard which is out now on a pay-what-you-like basis. All issues are available to download for PC/Mac, Kindle and iPad on a pay-what-you-like basis in print and digital formats. The Blizzard is a 190-page quarterly publication that allows writers the opportunity to write about the football stories that matter to them, with no limits and no editorial bias. Edited by Jonathan Wilson, it features articles by a host of top writers including Philippe Auclair, Gabr

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/12/17/blizzard.sinnott.mental/index.html#ixzz2IzK9bh7q

Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Quote:
Liverpool's Tactical Confusion

What are the tactical issues Liverpool face in implementing a slow build up approach under Brendan Rodgers? Today on the blog Jed Davies discusses the task confronting the club.

The fundamental differences in playing style between La Liga and the English Premier League are what cause Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers struggles with the implementation of successful ‘tiki-taka' more than anything else. Sure, Liverpool do not have the profile of player at present to even enable such a style of football to take place, but this can be resolved within Rodgers’ reign. What cannot change is the very nature of the English game.

Counter Attack - The English Approach
The English Premier League and all those beneath it in the English pyramid are essentially leagues made up of counter-attacking teams - this was something that a Premier League coach put to me recently. I was left a little stunned by those words, “a counter-attacking league!”, not because he generalised every team in the league or even because of the general negativity towards being a ‘counter-attacking’ team but because if we step back and think about it for a moment, he was right.

Manchester United are widely known as the “crossing kings” of football, they’ve scored more goals using this as an assist method than any other team over the last ten years, not because they have better wingers, but because the team is built around the process of the counter attack. They break beyond the opposition and get men in the box, all the while the opposition are still getting back and trying to position themselves to defend the cross.

The response to this threat is to do what QPR did against Tottenham Hotspur in recent weeks: to sit deep and play with opportunism going forward and at worst settle for a draw. By sitting deep, QPR did not allow Spurs to play to their strengths of counter-attacking and crossing against an unprepared defence. Instead QPR were defensively prepared for crosses throughout the whole game and Tottenham struggled to produce the result they wanted. Manchester United however (unlike Tottenham) do and have always had players to break down a low-block and win games - Rooney, Scholes, Van Persie etc.

Wigan vs. West Brom, November 2012. Here we had a game whereby West Brom realised Wigan were a team that relied on attacking down the flanks and combined that with a slower than average build-up of play (to win the possession statistic). West Brom responded to this by sitting deep and forcing Wigan to play the ball out wide time-and-time again, all the while West Brom were perfectly positioned defensively waiting for the crosses to come into a 6”4’ Jonas Olsson and a 6”3’ Gareth McAuley - 44 crosses in total were sent in by Wigan and they were only the ones that got past the primary block of the full-back. The counter-attack was then employed on the likely occasion of the ball being caught by Boaz Myhill or headed away by an outfielder. The tactical match-up led to West Brom taking an away win, 2-1. West Brom, despite only having 44% of possession, controlled the game from start to finish, they controlled the game with and without the ball.

While Wigan vs. West Brom is hardly a game that most will reflect on as a highlight at the end of the season (I can doubt it was even first on Match of the Day that evening), the game highlighted the problem that Liverpool will continue to have under Brendan Rodgers - even with the right profile of players. That’s not to say Liverpool under Rodgers won’t succeed (and I think they will) but that wont be without many obstacles put in their way.

Counter Attack vs Slow Build Up
The slow build-up play of Liverpool is the defining issue at present. It is necessary for Liverpool to play that way to achieve the approach that Rodgers desires but it cannot be combined with the reliance on wide play. In the ideal theory, a slow build-up team concentrates it’s attacking play around what coaches call ‘zone 14’. Zone 14 is consistently the zone on the field that yields the most assists season on season and is consistent in every league and competition throughout world football (see supporting article at end). What a slow build-up team should attempt, in the ideal theory, is to pick their “moment of disruption” from this zone of the field as often as possible (the words of coach Juan Luis Delgado).

A counter-attacking team of course, is able to succeed in assisting from wider-positions because they have the unique opportunity of the possibility in out-numbering the opposition in their own penalty area (see Stoke’s ability to do this at Stoke vs. Liverpool December 2012). The following two images are ideal theoretical representations that detail the relationship between build-up play and the assist location.

A team with a slow build-up would therefore be expected to ‘make the pitch as big as possible’ when on the ball and ‘as small as possible without’ (as phrased by David Winner in his book ‘Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football’). This idea is correct, but only really relates to the first few phases of build-up play when in possession. The Ajax team of the 90’s did however, play with far more width than the Barcelona team of today do. Barcelona instead, concentrate their possession to zone 14 and as a result score more goals per game than any other team influenced by total-football (see Cruyff and Michels’ goals per game at Barcelona compared to Guardiola and Vilanova).

On the contrary, a counter attacking team will look to turn this relationship almost on it’s head. The counter-attacking team will ask the opposition to push forward in possession and employ a slow build-up, that way the counter-attack team can break beyond the opposition with pace and outnumber the out of position opposition inside their own 18-yard box. The relationship between the choice of build-up play and areas of concentration of play is therefore clear cut in the theory.

Letting Go Of Old Habits
So here’s the issue - Liverpool have failed to ditch their crossing habits but are a team with a slow build-up (pre-Rodgers and present). In the 2012 season, Liverpool put in more crosses than any other team, 1102 and required a staggering 421 crosses per game to score a single goal. This means that Liverpool FC during the 2011/12 season needed 14.5 games to score a goal assisted from a cross - a tactic they employed blindly with total faith.

The reason Liverpool performed so poorly on this statistic is simple, you cannot be a slow build-up team AND a crossing team, it just doesn’t work in any league anywhere. Forget the low completion rate in crossing (typically 20-30% and far fewer end up in the back of the net), this isn’t a question of whether crossing is a good methodology or not, it’s a statement about the combination of your attitude to build-up play and your methodology of assist attempts.

Having analysed a considerable amount of Liverpool games this season we can see that this problem is evident. However, I would argue (in Rodgers’ defence) that this is (again) a question of having the incorrect pool of player profiles available to him. Liverpool (like Wigan) lack the players who can play in advanced positions centrally and pick out a pass in a condensed zone in front of them, they lack a David Silva, or a Xavi or Iniesta (or Isco!) - and the problem here is that these players are both scarce and extremely expensive. And it is due to this inability to play through teams that sit deep that leads Liverpool to playing wide and resorting to crossing and giving the ball away (leading to an opposition counter attack). The Wigan vs. West Brom scenario returns.

Concluding Remarks
Therefore, this article puts forward two issues. The first being that you simply cannot combine (with success) a slow build-up approach with a dependency on crosses as a methodology of assists. Secondly, there is a real shortage of players to enable the slow build up play to work and the English Premier League, whether you like it or not, is full of players who will excel in the counter attack against such a style of play - big strong defenders to win the balls coming in and fast advanced players to break beyond the opposition in the counter attack. While the ‘counter attack’ may not be winning the fan’s vote, it’s a tactic that does win games.

Follow Jed on Twitter: @TPiMBW

Jed is a football coach who writes on tactical theory and philosophy for a number of sites and publications including LiverpoolFC.com and his own site JedDavies.com. Jed will have two books on tactical theory and coaching published in March 2013.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class

[youtube]3f9mUlG6Nvs[/youtube]

FC Barcelona - Els 10 millors gols del planter (23 de gener de 2013)

Top 10 Goals from Barcelona's juniors.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/how-to-make-the-opposition-play-the-long-ball-game

How to make the opposition play the long ball game.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

The God Mine effect, interesting reading and book.

http://www.thegoldmineeffect.com/

Listen on interview ABC radio

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/the-gold-mine-effect/4224522
neverwozza
neverwozza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Thanks for the great reads Arthur.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Talent Identification

HOW TO IDENTIFY TALENT

Rasmus Ankersen is an ex-footballer, a bestselling author, a speaker on performance development and a respected advisor to businesses and athletes around the world. You'll never find him in one place for more than a few days - he is always on the move, flying from city to city to do new research, advise major companies or address sold-out audiences. Well that's what his website says! NCFA armed Paul Cooper with some crayons and paper to take down the great Dane's answers to some searching questions fired with love. While trying to trackdown the globe trotting Rasmus we hasten to add that no-one was hurt during this interview!

Paul Cooper (PC) Thank you for doing this interview for the National Children's Football Alliance newsletter Rasmus. Where did your incredible journey start?

Rasmus Ankersen (RA).

I had particularly one experience which led me on the high performance track. In 2004 I helped establish Scandinavia's first football academy. We had to struggle to attract players for the academy's first intake. Because we were the new boy in business we were the last to pick players and had to take what was left over when the other clubs had made their choices. One of the candidates we considered was a fifteen-year-old boy from a town 50 kilometres from the academy. His name was Simon Kjaer and we only accepted him because we couldn't get anyone better. However, three years later we ended up selling Simon Kjaer for 3.3 million pounds when he was just eighteen years old. He has since been named at the footballer of the year in Denmark as one of the youngest ever and he is today perceived as one of the biggest football talents in Europe.

The interesting part of this story is that six months after Simon Kjaer had joined the academy all the coaches including me wrote down the names of the five players from the academy we thought would go furthest in five years, in order of priority. At that time we had sixteen players to choose from. Five years later, just after Kjaer was sold for 3.3 million pounds, we reviewed our lists and out of eight coaches no one turned out to have Simon Kjaer's name on their list. Everyday ever since I've obviously asked myself: How could we have been so mistaken? What exactly did we overlook? And my belief is that all coaches, managers, parents and teachers, in any field whatsoever, all have to deal with their own Simon Kjaer problem, because he confronts us all with numerous questions, which need to be addressed regardless of what industry you work in or where in the world you find yourself. What is talent? Do we actually know what the word means? Do we even know what we are looking for? How can we identify talent? How is it grown? And how can we grow it more effectively? It was these questions that drove me to discover the gold mines of talent.

(PC) In the quest to understand high performance you actually lived and trained with some of the best athletes and sportspeople in the world - was there any one experience that stood out for you?

(RA)Visiting MVP Track & Field Club (the world's most successful sprint club) in Kingston, Jamaica made a big impression on me. We seem to believe groomed fields, top-level technology and comfortable surroundings are necessary prerequisites for success. We would tend to use poor, overcrowded facilities as an excuse for not achieving better results. My experiences in Kingston and in many of the other gold mines I visited really challenged these beliefs. Nowhere I saw these kind of great facilities. First and foremost because people in the gold mines know that luxurious surroundings often diminish effort, because they leave people with a feeling that nobody striving for top performance should ever have: that of already having arrived. A performance environment should not be designed for comfort but for hard work. It has to show people that the road to success is long and uncomfortable. On the bottom line success comes down to mindset and who wants it most - much more than it is about fancy facilities.

(PC). In your new book The Gold Mine Effect you look at the business world as well as sport - can you please tell us a bit about the book?

(RA) No matter if you are a coach in sports or a business leader in business you tend to ask yourself the same questions: How do I attract the best talent? And how do I build an environment where talent flourishes? The general debate on talent development is full of misunderstandings, cliches, romanticised conceptions, guesswork and outdated knowledge. My aim in this book is to deliver a fresh, highly practical perspective on the subject - not by doing the research back from my desk, but actually to learn by literally living and training with the worlds best athletes and their coaches. I believe that my conclusions can be adapted to any field.

(PC). I guess all of the great sports people started their potential careers as children. How important is 'play' in achieving high performance?

(RA)Practice is the mother of all world-class performance. When you think you see god-given talent in a business leader, a musician or an athlete, what you really see might is likely to be somebody who consciously or unconsciously practiced a lot in at an early age. At an early stage practice is play. Brazilian boys play in the streets every day and without even realizing it they've reached their 10.000 hours of practice when they are 13. A British boy who doesn't play but just practice at his club three times a week will reach his 10,000 hours of practice when he is in his late twenties. The spontaneous and free play is critical at an early stage not only to get enough practice hours under your skin but also to boost motivation. This is why researchers not only talk about deliberate practice, but also about deliberate play.

(PC) In football children used to learn by playing in the streets, playgrounds and parks - different terrains, formats, ages, abilities and without adult coaches. This has been overtaken in many cases by club systems and at the higher end academies. Is there a danger that this can stifle creativity and children are told what to do rather than finding out for themselves?

'The biggest mistake we make in Europe is being too well organised'.
(RA) I think there is. Just a look at the Brazilian top players in football. It's the same story with Pele, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Ronaldo, Zico and all the others grew up in poverty playing on the streets every day. Very little of their training was done in clubs. They practised on their own. The top players we see today in the major international football arenas were not trained in an established system; they are the direct products of unorganised football on the streets. The biggest mistake we make in Europe is being too well organised. Brazilian footballers are not a product of organised talent development. The secret is spontaneous, unorganised football.

(PC) What is the best environment to achieve high performance?

(RA) It's an environment full of great role models. Look at the running epi center in Iten, Kenya. If you go jogging for 30 minutes as the sun rises, meeting four world champions on the way is not an exceptional event. In Iten the superstars train side-by-side with the young hopefuls. Imagine what that means. Every morning, the novices get to see how the world's best do their training. They see that elite runners also suffer when the going gets tough; that they are not always at their best either - they see that they are humans too. But they also see what price they are willing to pay and how hard they push themselves. They witness what it takes to success at close quarters.

(PC) Who are your role models and heroes?

(RA) I admire people who have the courage to do the unexpected and leave their comfort zones. People who are driven by inner curiosity and a willingness to learn rather that the need to look good and to maintain a certain image of how other people perceive them.

(PC) How important is the childhood aspect that provides the foundation for world class athletes to develop, focus and remain ultra competitive?

(RA) It's ultra important. If you want to be really good at what you do you'll have to start practicing at an early age and you have to understand that very often it is the perseverance that builds the passion, not the other way around. That perseverance will have to be nurtured by a great support system; parents, coaches etc. You will not make international top class if you're just on your own.

For more information regarding Rasmus Ankersen's work contact:www.thegoldmineeffect.com

http://www.childrensfootballalliance.com/How_to_Identify_Talent.html

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Pistola
Pistola
Super Fan
Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)

All I can say is that we here in Australia are miles behind, we have no structure whatsoever and the constant changes FNSW makes are real worrying, clubs are no different no one cares for no one, clubs change players at a drop of a hat, eg: The club wins the grand final next season the whole team is gone I mean coach included , is this the best way to develop or nature our youth the answer is no. gallop must do something quick with our youth, we are spending to much time on our senior players that ate probably to old to play at a higher level.
krones3
krones3
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Arthur wrote:
The God Mine effect, interesting reading and book.

http://www.thegoldmineeffect.com/

Listen on interview ABC radio

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/the-gold-mine-effect/4224522

Thanks
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Quote:

http://english.gazzetta.it/Football/24-01-2013/youth-systems-italy-last-europe-liga-kings-of-home-grown-talent-913972575349.shtml

Youth systems: Italy last in Europe
La Liga kings of "home grown" talent

Milano, 24 January 2013

On average, Serie A clubs only have 7.8% of their players come through the ranks of their youth system. In Spain, the average is 25.9%, France and England follow, ahead of Germany. The majority of players brought in from outside are forwards and central defenders
It’s the `14th minute of the Levante-Barcelona game at the Ciutat de Valencia stadium, on November 25, 2012: Daniel Alves isn’t fit enough to
continue, so he asks to be substituted. His place is taken by Martin Montoya. An insignificant statistic, just one of many lost in yet another win for the Blaugrana...? Yes, well... perhaps not. As, that day, for the 1st time in their history, Barça started a match with 11 players all of whom had come through their successful youth academy: Valdes; Montoya, Piqué, Puyol, Jordi Alba; Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Fabregas. The final score: 'La Masia' (the name of the Barça training facilities and youth academy, although we really do mean Barça...) beat Levante 4-0. The magical ‘quarry’ where the Catalan side ‘dig up’ their stars of the future is an exception to the rule, as, not even in Spain, a country now considered the breeding ground for exceptional football stars, does any other club have so much success in building a side of future champions with players that have come through their ranks: and La Liga is the league in Europe where more home grown talent gets a stab at 1st team football than in any other country. “Home grown players” account for 25.9% of all players in Spain – essentially, more than a quarter of the squad has cost nothing on the transfer market. Now that we know who tops the league for home grown talent in Europe, let’s look to see who is propping up the table: no need to look too far away from home as... it’s Italy - with a miserly 7.8% of players coming through the ranks. It really makes us want to say something like “let’s focus on youth systems so that we can come out of the current crisis...”.

METHOD — We simply have to look at the reason why more closely: the people who compile these statistics are the Swiss "CIES Football Observatory", who look at the 31 major domestic leagues in UEFA across Europe. And what these statistics reveal to us is that, outside Italy, a player who “comes through the ranks” at a club is considered “important” and he’s nurtured from a young age, through all the various levels of the club, until, finally, making an appearance with the “big boys” in the 1st team. In other words, Xavi at Barça can be compared to Macheda at Manchester Utd, Marchisio at Juve and Alaba at Bayern Munich. It’s the reason why the Premier League is still high in this list, as academy systems in England account for 17.5% of the players who run out for their clubs: when looking at the “top” leagues in Europe, rather than the smaller leagues, the Premier League is 3rd in the statistics, behind la Liga and Ligue 1 in France (21.1%) and, surprisingly, ahead of the German Bundesliga (14.7%).

ON THE LOOK-OUT FOR GOAL SCORERS — Italian and English clubs are the clubs who also buy in the most players from outside their borders: over 50% of 1st team players in Serie A and the Premier League have come through the ranks ‘abroad’ (the average in Europe is 36.1%). And it’s also interesting to note just which type of player clubs bring in: they are keener to bring goalkeepers through their ranks (25.9%) compared to full backs (22.5%), attacking midfield players (22.2%) than defensive midfield players (21.6%) but they bring through fewer central defenders (18.8%) and forwards (17.4%).

UNFAVOURABLE REGULATIONS — But why is it that in Italy - where, according to those in the know, football clubs can overcome the “current crisis" in the game by focussing on their youth system - football clubs appear to lag so far behind their European cousins? It’s hard to narrow things down to just 2 or 3 reasons - just as it would be absurd to try to sum up the entire complicated and massive issue in just the few lines we have available here. But what is clear is that the biggest problem faced by Italian clubs is the ease in which the youngster can be “attracted” by clubs outside Italy, especially the Premier League (remember Rossi, Lupoli, Macheda, Petrucci, etc.). It’s all down to rules and regulations (and UEFA should really think about adding one or two more rules in a bid to protect clubs a bit more...) but also down to the fact that Italian clubs aren’t allowed to offer young players the same sort of lucrative deals they can sign outside Italy. In recent years, more often than not, many Italian clubs with thriving youth academies (in particular Atalanta) have been begrudgingly forced to accept the compensation that they've been offered for the loss of a player as they stand absolutely no chance of matching the deal the other club can offer the youngster (and perhaps even offer other members of his family...) to make the switch abroad.

MENTALITY — The other fundamental issue is the notion of the way football is played in Serie A. And Italian clubs have no good excuse when it comes to defending themselves from criticism. Barcelona play the same way, use the same tactics and the same system, throughout their ranks – from youth team to senior team. Again, they’re the exception to the rule rather than the norm. Indeed, finding another club that has a set-up like that operated at Barça - we can even refer to it as “the Barça model"... - is extremely difficult indeed, even though many clubs in Europe focus on developing players through their youth systems – players who will eventually play for the senior side. Its easier developing youngsters and bringing them through the ranks until, at the age of 20, they're ready to stake a claim for a regular place in the 1st team than to try to buy someone who will “fit into the club", fit into "the Juve style" or “the AC Milan style” or “the Inter style”. Players who are ready to fit seamlessly into the way the side is playing - and who are capable of making a difference to the team. Players who can be considered ‘good enough’ for the 1st team without the need for the club to dip into the transfer market. Youngsters who can come through the ranks, who know the systems, the ‘feeling’ and ‘spirit’ at the club. Youngsters who deserve to be shown faith by the clubs - clubs who gave them their chance in football many years earlier... - and to be part of a mid-to-long-term plan. Perhaps we’re still a long way from achieving that in Italy, but if in Italy we don’t start now, we never will...

Stefano Cantalupi
© RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA

Arthur
Arthur
World Class

http://www.totalbarca.com/2013/youth/how-to-know-if-a-youth-player-will-go-all-the-way/

How to know if a youth player will go all the way?

Posted at: 16:00 on Friday, February 1, 2013 Category: Opinion Pieces, Youth Written by: Alexandra

I’ve been following youth football at Barça for a while now. And there have been many talents produced, many “safe” stars for the future. However, most of those “safe” future stars, those everyone thought would make it, didn’t. In other words, they didn’t live up to their potential. Instead, a few of those no one really paid much attention to, did make it.

But how can we really know that a youth player will make it? That he will go all the way to the first team or even become one of the best if not the best in the world one day? This task might prove impossible. Because the ball is round and everything can happen in football, and everything can happen in life. Even the most talented lad can drop his focus for one reason or another or get injured or take the wrong decision at the wrong time. We simply cannot predict who will make it big.

But what we can know is who has the biggest potential to make it. And I can tell you what I’ve learnt since I started to follow the youth set-up at Barça: the one with the biggest potential to make it, is not necessarily the one with the biggest talent. But the one with talent along with strong mentality, the one who can tackle the obstacles, can learn from his mistakes, and go through hard moments will come out on top.

I can honestly say I believed Bojan would make it and become a top scorer. I was sure Gai Assuilin would get to the first team. And a few years ago, I thought that Gerard Deulofeu would come to be our main man, but I’m not too sure anymore. Because I’ve learned a lesson.

Bojan is a great example. He was the boy who was asked by his coach to not cross the half-line because he didn’t want to upset the opponents by having Bojan scoring tons of goals on them. For five year olds, the game of football should be fun. But not crossing the half-line wouldn’t stop five year old Bojan from scoring goals. He was the kid who arrived at Barça as a 9-year old, who during his seven years in the youth teams of the club became the best scorer in the history of La Masia by scoring 3,5 goals per game (for seven years). He was the boy who scored over 200 goals during a single season.

Bojan Krkic was the goalscoring king. He could enter a game his team was losing to score what was needed for them to win in the last minutes. He also became the youngest goalscorer ever for FC Barcelona’s first team and he ended his first season at Camp Nou with 10 goals, taking over the record from Real Madrid’s Raúl to the best debut season in La Liga for a youngster. But what Bojan had missed while growing up, was that he had never had any problems, any obstacles. He was the guy who always succeeded. So when the regular forwards at Barça recovered their form and returned from their injures, young Bojan was left on the bench. As he got less time on the pitch, his self-confidence would hit rock bottom. For the first time, he had no clue how to get it back up again, because he had never been in this position before. It didn’t matter how many goals he scored before or how great his goalscoring talent was, because his mind stopped him from performing. Bojan didn’t succeed at Barça because he had succeeded all his life. He couldn’t handle the hardship of being on the bench and fighting for a starting berth, he wasn’t mentally ready.

Another example is Gai Assulin. Gai was the star of the 1991 generation at Barça, one of the best generations in the club’s history. He was touted as the new Messi. Or at least, that’s what people were saying about him. In the 2007-08 season, Gai, while still at Cadet level, would get his debut with Barça B under Guardiola (one who believed a lot in the Israeli boy). During the same season, he was given his first team debut for the Israeli national team, at just 16 years of age, becoming the youngest ever to do so. Everyone was so impressed, it was hard not to think that he was one for the future.

But to focus on football would get harder and harder for Gai. There was a war in his home country and he was concerned about the safety of his family. As he turned 18, the war would create more problems for the young boy as he was obligated to join the Israeli army. Traveling home to work a way around his two years of mandatory military service, Gai missed the start of the 2008-09 preseason with Barça B. That would come to have a serious impact on his career, as bad preparation for the season later saw him get badly injured, and he was forced to miss nearly the entire season. After the injury, Gai wasn’t the same football player, he struggled to get back into form and his development seemed to have stalled. In 2010, his contract expired and the boy who was said to be the new Messi was released from the club.

The first time I watched Gerard Deulofeu work his magic was when he was 14-years old. He had already been dubbed the new Ronaldinho and some of the major English clubs had been in contact with Barça for his services. Since then, I’ve watched him on and off and I have told people that this kid is special, that he will make it. But I have come to realize that it’s not that obvious anymore. He is still a fantastic player and I still say he has boundless talent. But can he handle set- backs?

So far, the Deulofeu show hasn’t stopped. Fans are talking about him, not only as a future first team player but as a future Ballon d’Or winner. He, himself, seems to believe them. Gerard has got the talent, he even exudes it. But at the tender age of 18 years, he is just not there yet. Even if the press, fans and Gerard himself sometimes seem to forget that. The other day, at the Mini Clàsico, everyone was talking about Gerard, he was being put under pressure. Pressure he had never really been under before. And unsurprisingly, he played one of his worst games of the season, as he looked like he forgot his teammates were playing by his side. Sure, the Madrid players were on him from the start, but he showed he isn’t ready to handle that type of pressure just yet. I won’t say Gerard won’t make it, but what I will say, is that it will not be down to his talent (that he has) but down to his mentality whether he makes it or not. Will he be able to tackle set-backs or will they do to him what they did to other promising players before him?

While I’ve been more or less screaming at people to stop hyping Deulofeu so much, I’ve myself been praising Martin Montoya relentlessly. I believe he should have started instead of Dani Alvés in several games. The reason for that, is that I think Montoya is ready. We all know he has the talent, but he has shown he has the mentality as well. Now it’s time to feed him to the sharks, because he’s shown that he will be able to beat the sharks. Martin Montoya has never been hyped like any of the players I already named. He is a player who went through tough times, both on and off the field. The hardest one was when he lost his mother a couple of years ago, but Martín bounced back to make his first team debut. In his second first team game, the first at Camp Nou, he suffered a serious injury after only a few seconds, and missed the remainder of the season. Montoya came back, was one of the most vital players as Spain won the U21 Euro and was named to the Spanish national team, all this while still a Barça B player. Martin Montoya has shown many times that he knows how to handle set-backs, that they make him stronger. Mentally, he is more ready than anyone and we have all seen what he’s capable of on the pitch.

Other players who I think have the right mentality are Cristian Tello and Isaac Cuenca. Both players started out at Barça at an early stage, but both also left Barça at one point: Tello because he wasn’t good enough and Cuenca because he missed home. Both players also worked their way back to Barça. It is not an easy thing to return to La Masia after having had to leave once. Tello had worked himself up in the Espanyol shirt where he was offered a first team contract but he turned it down as Barça B was asking for his return. He chose the bench of Barça B instead of the Espanyol first team. There, he worked himself up to get playing time, caught the attention of Guardiola and suddenly Tello was scoring goals for Barça’s first team. Hard work paid off. Tello later showed his mental strength once again, when Guardiola started the youngster against Madrid. Tello didn’t play badly, but he hit a terrible miss and Barça ended up losing. Media and fans blamed the loss on Tello or rather on the decision of starting him in a game of this magnitude. Many a youngsters’ self-confidence would have hit bottom after that, but Tello’s didn’t. He kept on working hard and scoring when given the chance. Regarding Cuenca, he was sent out on loan at Sabadell. However, he didn’t give up, he had an incredible season at Sabadell and came back to the club with a bang, earning himself a promotion to the first team. Tello and Cuenca might not make it all the way, but they have the mentality to do so. All that’s left for them to do now is show they have the talent as well.

Two other players worth mentioning are Busquets and Pedro. Two of today’s first team’s most vital players. They didn’t have an easy ride either: Busquets failed to impress Barça as a kid and it wasn’t until his late teens that he was able to enroll in the club, while Pedro was asked to look for another club before Guardiola jumped in to save his skin. They were never the youth players fans and media talked about. But they were two boys who knew the worst parts of football. Pep saw their talent early and almost overnight, he took Busi and Pedrito from being unknown fourth division players, to World Cup winners and household names.

What I try to do when I want to know if a player can make it or not, is to look at the player’s history, what obstacles did he face, how did he handle them. I’m not saying a player that always succeeded will not be able to handle set-backs, I’m just saying we don’t know how he will handle them. With a player that has overcome them before, we know how he will react to the obstacles coming his way.

There is never a safe answer to what player will make it and who will not. But what I’ve learned and what I would like to convey to you, is that it takes more than raw ability and talent for a player to make it. Also, to over-hype a player who’s not ready yet can result in a great talent getting lost. Mistakes are important, obstacles and set-backs are what can make a good player become a great one.

Read more: http://www.totalbarca.com/2013/youth/how-to-know-if-a-youth-player-will-go-all-the-way/#ixzz2Jvlcym7t
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/05/02/a-liberal-decalogue-bertrand-russell/

A Liberal Decalogue: Bertrand Russell’s 10 Commandments of Teaching
by Maria Popova

“Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.”

British philosopher, mathematician, historian, and social critic Bertrand Russell endures as one of the most intellectually diverse and influential thinkers in modern history, his philosophy of religion in particular having shaped the work of such modern atheism champions as Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, and Richard Dawkins. From the third volume of The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell: 1944-1969 comes this remarkable micro-manifesto, entitled A Liberal Decalogue — a vision for responsibilities of a teacher, in which Russell touches on a number of recurring themes from pickings past — the purpose of education, the value of uncertainty, the importance of critical thinking, the gift of intelligent criticism, and more.

It originally appeared in the December 16, 1951, issue of The New York Times Magazine, at the end of the article “The best answer to fanaticism: Liberalism.”

Perhaps the essence of the Liberal outlook could be summed up in a new decalogue, not intended to replace the old one but only to supplement it. The Ten Commandments that, as a teacher, I should wish to promulgate, might be set forth as follows:

1.Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
2.Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
3.Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
4.When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
5.Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
6.Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
7.Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
8.Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
9.Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
10.Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

very good article on mk dons academy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2274115/Martin-Samuel-Why-Milton-Keynes-Dons-methods-make-play-like-Brazil.html#axzz2JqRkZlS6

Small is beautiful at Milton Keynes... and it could make us play like BrazilBy Martin Samuel
PUBLISHED: 00:01 GMT, 6 February 2013 | UPDATED: 08:12 GMT, 6 February 2013
Comments (12) Share

..Considering that England play Brazil at Wembley tonight, it is fair to assume that this time tomorrow we may be crying. Why can’t we pass it like them? Why can’t we keep it like them? Why isn’t our game beautiful? It is a familiar wail. Boo-hoo-hoo, we want to be like you-hoo-hoo.

‘Better to light a candle than curse the darkness,’ said Peter Benenson, the founder of Amnesty International, except English football doesn’t think that way. ‘Stupid darkness,’ we mumble as more pedestrian thinking sends us down the latest blind alley.

There are men with candles out there, but we never seem to listen to them. Dan Micciche is the head of coaching at Milton Keynes Dons academy. It is not a job that allows a man to make headlines, but that doesn’t mean he has nothing to offer.

Space, the final frontier: MK Dons (in white) play an experimental match against Forest School
When Connor Furlong was called up to Scotland’s Under 15 squad last month, he became the eighth product of the MK Dons youth system to receive international recognition in the last two years. Dele Alli is the sole member of England’s Under 17 squad who is not on the books at a Premier League or Championship club. Giorgio Rasulo scored the only goal of the game as England’s Under 16 team defeated Scotland in the 2012 Victory Shield. Seyi Ojo went to Liverpool at 14 for a reported £1.5million. They must be doing something right. What they are doing, it seems, is evolving ideas. Micciche experiments with pitch sizes, with team numbers.

Not in any conventional way. Small areas, small teams, is the modern concept, and that alone is progress.

The days of a 10-year-old standing forlornly in the same size goal as Petr Cech, barely able to clear his penalty area with a goal-kick in ankle-deep mud, are thankfully over.

Contrasting styles: Brazil (above) and England (below) prepare for Wednesday night's friendly
The Football Association has, at last, addressed the in-built flaws in youth football and we should feel the benefits over the next 10 years.

The popular wisdom favours small-sided games in tight spaces. The logic is irrefutable. Players get more touches, more shots, more runs and more scoring opportunities playing four versus four than 11 versus 11.

Their ball skills are improved by technical five-a-sides, rather than a war of attrition on a man’s size pitch that promotes only the most athletically dominant.
What Micciche is attempting is stage two. In the dome at Woughton Park worlds collide. Micciche has his Under 16 MK Dons team playing 11-a-side, but on a reduced pitch 60 yards long by 40 wide. He has cones on the touchline marking two invisible offside lines to compress play into the middle third. There is no time, there is no space. To survive in this game, you really have to be able to play.

Coaching guru: Micciche's ideas have seen MK Dons' academy flourish
An MK Dons kid is trapped on the near touchline, ball at his feet, two lads bearing down on him. He gets out of it with a lovely reverse pass.
‘You see, that, to me, is a goal,’ Micciche says. ‘At this age, you can swing your boot and the ball goes in, and everyone says “well done”. But it’s not necessarily progress, there’s no development. To see him do that, inside, I feel like we’ve scored, because he wouldn’t have tried it six months ago.’

Micciche, as his name suggests, grew up watching Serie A football on a giant satellite dish at home. Roberto Baggio was his man. He is not as steeped in the blood and thunder of English football as his contemporaries.
It is no surprise, either, that he started at Crystal Palace where John Cartwright was academy manager.
Cartwright, now retired, has been advocating variations of games played in tight spaces for a long time. From Palace, Micciche moved to Tottenham Hotspur working with Chris Ramsey before arriving at Milton Keynes under director of youth Mike Dove, who gave him a blank canvas.

.There are five pitches of varying sizes at Woughton Park and academy players of all ages get to use every one. Team numbers vary, too. Each player gets a turn training and playing with boys between one and three years older, and all have a homework file with a list of improvements. The most radical thoughts, however, involve space.

‘A lot of coaches don’t like limiting the space,’ admits Micciche. ‘They think it looks messy. Sometimes it does because we’re asking a lot technically. You might not always get quality, but when you do it is the highest quality.

‘And when they go out onto a full-size pitch again, it feels as if they have got all the time in the world.’
We watched a game together. Milton Keynes Dons versus Forest School. Pitch dimensions of 60 x 40 yards, two quarters nine-a-side, two quarters 11-a-side to feel the difference.

Players who looked competent when the team numbers were reduced were suddenly tested as room on the pitch shrank. There was a surprising impact physically.

‘It speeds the game up, but players then need to hold off defenders because they haven’t the space to simply outrun them,’ Micciche explains. ‘Also, in order to work through a compact space, they will need to move their feet and body quickly.

‘The intensity is great so they need to react and think faster. It becomes exhausting, but it makes them clever at finding space.’

A shot rattles against a crossbar.

‘The game has shifted,’ Micciche continues. ‘Nobody gets the ball in splendid isolation any more. It’s like rush hour in midfield, you might get 20 players in 40 yards of space, and the defenders are as fast and athletic as the forwards.

‘We need to recreate what these players are going to face in the future.’
The last time Brazil visited England, in 2007, the performance of Kaka in the heart of the play stood out. No matter how many opponents surrounded him, he demanded the ball and his team-mates were happy to provide it. He always found a pass. Spain and Barcelona have that same quality.

Star man: Kaka was outstanding for Brazil at Wembley in 2007
‘We fail under pressure,’ Micciche adds. ‘That is a fundamental problem in English football. Once the game becomes tight, our approach lets us down.’

The first time Micciche tried out his theories, the opponents were a big Championship club. ‘It was an Under 12 game, a friendly, and I brought the dimensions of the pitch in, used smaller goals,’ he recalls. ‘We were 4-1 down at half-time and a couple of our kids were in tears.

‘I said that this type of football was going to ask different questions of them, that they had to think about how they would answer those questions.

‘We turned it around, and won in the second half. The next day they put in a complaint about us.’

Perhaps that is why as well as the standard league fixtures — MK Dons win some and lose some, like all academy teams — Micciche is happy to accept fixtures from stronger clubs, strong schools or even good men’s amateur teams.

Quick thinking: Micciche advocates playing on pitches of different sizes to help youngsters develop
‘It is important to play in as many types of football as possible, with and against players of different strengths and abilities,’ he says. ‘You need to challenge them all the time. Sometimes we won’t have as many players on the field as the opposition, or I’ll take my Under 16s to play a proper men’s team. People say, “you can’t do that” but they learn from it.’
It is possible that, after tonight, it will again be said that English footballers are inferior. That the technique of the Brazilians is a class away.

There will be analysis and much you will have heard before.

Too many foreign players in the Premier League, an absence of passion for international football. We could tuck it away in a file marked: The Usual.

So explain this. Increasingly, there are foreign coaches who have passed through the English game, like Gus Poyet at Brighton and Hove Albion or Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.

Pointing the way: Roberto Martinez has brought fluid, passing football to Swansea and Wigan
And their teams play. Martinez is the father of modern Swansea City, Poyet has taken Brighton to the brink of the Championship play-off places.

Neither developed teams in the lower leagues that were stuffed full of foreign imports. They took local players and improved them technically.

Martinez signed Ashley Williams from Stockport County. Will Buckley, one of Brighton’s leading lights, came from Rochdale via Watford.

Martinez and Poyet encouraged bog standard Football League players to play a high quality game. So why can’t this be done in international football, with players of twice the ability? No doubt we’ll be asking those questions later.

Although if we did it earlier, the answers might be easier to find.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2274115/Martin-Samuel-Why-Milton-Keynes-Dons-methods-make-play-like-Brazil.html#ixzz2K6xSve3C
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by dirkvanadidas: 6/2/2013 09:57:58 PM

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Nice and interesting article Dirk. The concept of training in smaller spaces is something I saw Rijkard do last year at training for the Saudi National Team.

He had the keepers set up in a safe zone in the semi circle at the edge of the boxes. with 9v9 in the middle very tight game play.

Micchie caught my attention and I found this;

Quote:

http://www.soccercoachinginternational.com/pdf/Dan%20Micciche-MK%20Dons.pdf

Philosophy
A transparent and shared philosophy is essential for any
successful youth development programme and at MK Dons, Mike
Dove (Academy Manager), myself and the coaching staff, share a
common aim - To produce players for the first team, if not at MK
Dons, then at other clubs. We look ‘Holistically’ at Youth
development and need players to be resilient, resourceful and
reflective individuals who are willing and able to take control of
their development rather than rely on others.
Consequently, we run a coaching programme that reflects these
aims. Also, we try to follow the changing ‘trends’ in the game. We
‘evolve’ as the game itself ‘evolves’. 2009 football is
characterised by Shorter, quicker Passing, Fast and clever
Combinations and Counter Attacking - these are ‘core’ to our
practice

Edited by Arthur: 6/2/2013 10:10:40 PM

Edited by Arthur: 6/2/2013 10:11:13 PM
Pistola
Pistola
Super Fan
Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)Super Fan (100 reputation)

The sad truth is our coaches are not of high quality.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

http://www.level3football.com/royhendo/article/level_3_an_introduction_to_the_framework

Try this one.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Pistola wrote:
The sad truth is our coaches are not of high quality.

The coach education is improving.
Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Great resources clips inline with NC http://possessionfootball.wordpress.com/
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Brew wrote:

Nice one Brew and welcome to the performance section.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

FYI

Coaching courses in Valencia.

http://www.coachenevents.se/en/traenarkurser/tranarresa-till-valencia
neverwozza
neverwozza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Brew wrote:

Great site Brew. My eldest is trying to learn 9,7 & 11 in a 4-3-3 system and is struggling with his positioning a little bit. There are some excellent vids there that will help him a great deal.
possessionfootball
possessionfootball
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

Guys

Possession football is my site, if you want anything specific let me know.

I have been through and passed, KNVB Youth, Italian Youth, FFA B, FFA A.

Possession football
neverwozza
neverwozza
Semi-Pro

Great, thanks mate.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

possessionfootball wrote:
Guys

Possession football is my site, if you want anything specific let me know.

I have been through and passed, KNVB Youth, Italian Youth, FFA B, FFA A.

Possession football

From a process of elimination, you must have done the KNVB Youth overseas. Your CV doesn't appear to fit one of the intakes in Australia.

Welcome to the forum.:)
possessionfootball
possessionfootball
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

KNVB Youth 5 years ago in Canberra. It was a 7 day Residential course not with examination just a certification course, good preparation for Advanced B and Advanced A.

It was a very enjoyable course, 4 days on 4v4 training for Youth and 3 days on 7v7 training for Youth. No drills, only things that could be called football.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

possessionfootball wrote:
KNVB Youth 5 years ago in Canberra. It was a 7 day Residential course not with examination just a certification course, good preparation for Advanced B and Advanced A.

It was a very enjoyable course, 4 days on 4v4 training for Youth and 3 days on 7v7 training for Youth. No drills, only things that could be called football.

Were you with the first intake of A League coaches, Corica, Veart, Tobin, Muscat, and the NTC coaches, or, with the second intake?

If you were in the second KNVB group, we must know each other.

I've had a lot of trouble getting some FFA staff coaches to recognise the value of the content of the KNVB course, until recently.

I've used a FFA staff coach from another state, in particular, who is a FFA staff coach, and was one of our course participants for advice.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search