Australian Baseball League

Australian Baseball League

Author
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
rocknerd wrote:
I cant take this seriously. I used to follow Baseball back in the day. i was a pretty into it Cleveland Indians fan. But 6 teams that play each other 4 times over 2 weeks. It is a bit repetative for us all, issn't it?

I don't think I have the time to waste following a mediocore league sport. Twenty/20 Cricket is much better thought out and has at least an appeal to a wider audiance.

Baseball is always played in a multi-game series, that's how it is. The Yankees play the Red Sox 22 times over the season.
Twenty/20 cricket is a lot of things, but well thought out isn't one of them.

Edited by f1worldchamp: 29/10/2010 03:57:10 PM
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

martyB wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
buddha69 wrote:
Do we know who is going to play for each side?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Australian_Baseball_League_team_rosters
This was all I could find for having all the teams in the same place, but it looks like a few teams are yet to fill their rosters!

http://www.theabl.com.au/default.asp?MenuID=Team_Roster/23881/0

f1worldchamp wrote:
Sydney have actually sold all of their allocated memberships and have a waiting list for next year!
I've heard the opening game next Saturday vs Canberra (also the opening game for the whole league) was close to a sell out.
Yeah, there's only like 120 standing tickets left.

Edited by martyB: 29/10/2010 12:30:56 PM

Thanks Marty for that link with the rosters
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

rocknerd wrote:
I cant take this seriously. I used to follow Baseball back in the day. i was a pretty into it Cleveland Indians fan. But 6 teams that play each other 4 times over 2 weeks. It is a bit repetative for us all, issn't it?

I don't think I have the time to waste following a mediocore league sport. Twenty/20 Cricket is much better thought out and has at least an appeal to a wider audiance.
Umm.. you don't have to go to all the games. 8-[ Not that you need to bother, being from Newcastle and all.

Plan is to have something like 10 teams in total - which, for baseball, is quite adequate.

Edited by martyB: 29/10/2010 05:05:23 PM
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

southern3 wrote:
Not bad, I'll probably get pulled along because I have a couple of friends who are into baseball/softball. Where's the ground Benjo?

Border of Thornlie and my home turf, Canning Vale.
http://www.perthheat.baseball.com.au/?Page=56518&MenuID=About_Us_l%2F23935%2F0%2F%2CBarbagallo_Ballpark%2F22946%2F0%2F
martyB
martyB
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
Bonkers wrote:
Wheres the Melbourne team located? That nice place halfway to geelong?

Showgrounds.
Yeah will be interesting to see what they do with the place. They should put up a large wall in right field to take away the thousands of home runs that would otherwise be hit.

southern3
southern3
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Sweet, that's just down Roe for me to get there then. I might go if I need something to do!
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

The first game Saturday November 6th, Sydney vs Canberra at Blacktown Olympic Park is almost sold out.
Yesterday there were <50 standing room only tickets left.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
The first game Saturday November 6th, Sydney vs Canberra at Blacktown Olympic Park is almost sold out.

how many does that ground hold? ive been there one to watch my friend play and there wasn't many seats behind the plate,
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:

how many does that ground hold? ive been there one to watch my friend play and there wasn't many seats behind the plate,

According to Austadiums, the ground capacity is somewhere around 5000.http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=252
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:

According to Austadiums, the ground capacity is somewhere around 5000.http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=252

so there saying 5000 tickets have been sold? im surprised seeing how its not the most popular sport in Sydney,
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

any idea where the brisbane team will be playing their games?
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

zimbos_05 wrote:

I recall reading somewhere that they'll use the Brisbane Exhibition Ground.
martyB
martyB
Legend

pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:

so there saying 5000 tickets have been sold? im surprised seeing how its not the most popular sport in Sydney,
Don't know how that figured has been arrived at. Could be the licenced capacity of the entire complex (3 fields.) They have sold all 1600 seating tickets and have just about sold all the 400 tickets for standing room.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

martyB wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:

Don't know how that figured has been arrived at. Could be the licenced capacity of the entire complex (3 fields.) They have sold all 1600 seating tickets and have just about sold all the 400 tickets for standing room.

I was thinking about that after I posted the link. I went back to Austadiums and most of the information on BOP is outdated, like it mentioning the Claxton Shield of 2006. I think 5000 must have been the capacity of the main field during the Olympics. At the time they had temporary stands down both foul lines.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

martyB wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:

so bluesox games will have a max cap of 2000 people?
martyB
martyB
Legend

@f1
Yeah that makes sense. I didn't go to any games at BOP during the Olympics, only at Homebush.

@pimpsta
Yeah only a ~2000 person cap. They looked into temporary stands for an additional 700 seats for this season but isn't economical, as they'd have to sell out the stands every match at the same price as adult tickets for proper seating just to cover the cost. From what I've heard, said seating would have to come out of the club's budget, not the league's. But I suspect given the amount of interest in Sydney, the stadium will probably be upgraded after this season. That said, a 2,000 attendance is quite healthy considering Minor League clubs of similar standard (high A) average about that.

Edited by martyB: 1/11/2010 03:00:20 PM
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
zimbos_05 wrote:

I recall reading somewhere that they'll use the Brisbane Exhibition Ground.

eysh, thats a bit far to travel all the time for myself. ill try my best to get out there though and give the Bandits my support.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

ill maybe catch a few games for the aces! might also check our memberships . i used to be involved in baseball but fell out of the system
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Blue Sox to win.

martyB
martyB
Legend

If anyone's interested (probably not lol), Sydney's home games will be broadcast via radio/online. Something similar may be the case in Melbourne for the Aces as I think the local competition there has a weekly broadcast.

http://www.triplehfm.com.au/hhh/shows/sob
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

cheers marty, seeing how it will be a sell out i shall be listening,

go bluesox

Marty merchandise being released?
martyB
martyB
Legend

http://www.theabl.com.au/?Page=65971&MenuID=Shop%2F23877%2F0
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I might tune in
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

martyB wrote:
http://www.theabl.com.au/?Page=65971&MenuID=Shop%2F23877%2F0

cheers mate, bit on the pricy side for a team thats starting out
martyB
martyB
Legend

That's pretty much the price you'd pay to get a New Era cap and Majestic gear in from the States, regardless of the team. By pre-ordering you're paying an additional sum of money for shipping. Better just to wait and pick up merchandise from the ground. That way you can try the stuff on and you won't get some dickhead squashing and creasing your hat by not packing it properly.

Edited by martyB: 2/11/2010 02:50:52 PM
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

cheers for that,

i take it more gear will be made merchandise will be made soon?
martyB
martyB
Legend

No. I wouldn't expect so either given the numbers the league is drawing at the moment. What they're offering is at the moment quite good IMO, both in range and quality of merchandise: Majestic and New Era are the suppliers of MLB gear.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

im sure the quality is good but really all there is is 2 hats and 3 shirts,look at other sports stores sydney fc for example and the amount of goods is fairly big, i was thinking more of wanting to get sydney socks singlet as on those hot sunny days you would be sitting in the sun for a few hours would be perfect
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

pimpsta wrote:
im sure the quality is good but really all there is is 2 hats and 3 shirts,look at other sports stores sydney fc for example and the amount of goods is fairly big, i was thinking more of wanting to get sydney socks singlet as on those hot sunny days you would be sitting in the sun for a few hours would be perfect

Sunburn much? :lol:
I'm sure the range will increase over time.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:
im sure the quality is good but really all there is is 2 hats and 3 shirts,look at other sports stores sydney fc for example and the amount of goods is fairly big, i was thinking more of wanting to get sydney sox singlet as on those hot sunny days you would be sitting in the sun for a few hours would be perfect

Sunburn much? :lol:
I'm sure the range will increase over time.

thats why you slip slop slap ;) :lol:
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search