Exercise and Workout thread!

Exercise and Workout thread!

Author
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Nico wrote:
ual wrote:
avy1990 wrote:
On a diet, only been to the gym about 4 times since I started a few months ago. Might sound crappy, but i have a big backyard, so have just been jogging that each day for about 30mins. Usually not long after I wake up. Before my greyhounds went to a trainer, they were handy as they needed walking so I could easily add 1-2 hrs walking to my daily exercise.

For the jogging it's always a good idea to change the track you run every now and then so your body doesn't get used to running that path exclusively. Sounds stupid but changing the path you take when you run does help.

Not really. I think its more important to run different lengths and paces. I run the same course all the time which basically runs a loop through centennial park. Sometimes I'll run one lap fast, other times do 3 laps slowly. Your body gets used to distance and the pace you run. In essence you can run on a treadmill everyday as long as you change things up. I'm only considering changing my track so I can find a good hill run to do once a week (city2surf reminded me how bad my hill runs have gotten).

Also important to keep things basic when you start out. Just get into the routine of getting out there and exercising. If you try and vary your track within the first few months you're probably only going to make things more difficult to get into it. And really, until you're at the point where you can be running fairly hard for AT LEAST an hour I'd say there isn't really a need to be mixing things up at all, because clearly your body hasn't gotten used to it.

I didn't say it's the be all and end all, but it does help. If you change your course to include hills and shit it's obviously going to make a difference isn't it?

Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Well okay yeah, if you mean change the course so the run is different. It read like you were implying doing similar runs but different places. I'd still say as advice for beginners, or people just looking to clock up some minutes of cardio, there isn't anything greatly wrong with doing the same course over and over. Mixing cardio sessions such as cycling, swimming etc with running would be more beneficial. IMO.
ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Yea of course, when you're just starting it's fine but if you want to see real progress it always helps to change as many variables as possible.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Anything in particular I can do to up my fitness in a short amount of time? I've heard interval training works well.
ual
ual
Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
Anything in particular I can do to up my fitness in a short amount of time? I've heard interval training works well.

I personally like interval training the most. 30 minutes of cardio with some 20-30 sprint periods scattered through. Keep your heart rate at ~140-160 and you'll do well.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

[youtube]KFTJW4Merbs[/youtube]

I like this exercise. Apparently there is a hoola-hoop in this clip??? #-o
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Bump.

Alright, so, atm, being a filthy dole bludger, I am unable to afford a gym membership, or any thing like that. So I'm looking for suggestions of a routine I could make for myself that I can do at home. All I have access to are a couple of small Hand Weights (~3kg each) and an Excercise bike, which I'm planning to do at least daily.

I've had back and hamstring issues in the past, and while the main focus for me currently would be weight loss, I know I need to also strengthen my core muscles, and that area as well, so any suggestions for simple exercises I can do at home that would at least begin making headway would be great.

Hopefully that all makes sense :lol:
ual
ual
Pro

Funky Munky wrote:
Bump.

Alright, so, atm, being a filthy dole bludger, I am unable to afford a gym membership, or any thing like that. So I'm looking for suggestions of a routine I could make for myself that I can do at home. All I have access to are a couple of small Hand Weights (~3kg each) and an Excercise bike, which I'm planning to do at least daily.

I've had back and hamstring issues in the past, and while the main focus for me currently would be weight loss, I know I need to also strengthen my core muscles, and that area as well, so any suggestions for simple exercises I can do at home that would at least begin making headway would be great.

There are literally hundreds of exercises you can do at home with nothing but 3kg weight and your own body's resistance. If you give me a day or two (uni/work gets in my way) I'll write you up a routine for you to do over the next month or so? After that month I'll change it up for you and/or make it harder.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:
Bump.

For weight loss you need to take care of your diet at the same time. Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto and read the FAQ there.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Heya trainer type peoples :) I need your help as I have turned into your typical 30 something office worker and am completely over it.

I am after some suggestions for ways to tone up and increase cardio fitness. I have some restrictions on my time though as I am, essentially, a single dad with 3 kids and work full time, so going for a run or bike ride etc for fitness is completely impractical. I don't own any stationairy excercise equipement and only have a set of adjustable hand weights, max 10kg each.

Main focus for me is the spare tyre, I don't need to get big or anything like that.

Like a lot of other people here I used to be extremely fit, I know how to train but have a tendancy to push myself beyond what my current fitness level would allow - I used to be a rower and when I start working out fall into the routines I used to follow, and that isn't safe or advisable for someone with my level of fitness.

Hmm, this is a bit of a ramble... Anyways I need some advise on how to start an incremental program that I can do at home with minimal equipement (and in my current situation I can't buy any) and not a huge amount of space, no more than 2-3m2. My diet is pretty good, but I wont be cutting out either beer or wine so don't suggest it ;)

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

ual wrote:
There are literally hundreds of exercises you can do at home with nothing but 3kg weight and your own body's resistance. If you give me a day or two (uni/work gets in my way) I'll write you up a routine for you to do over the next month or so? After that month I'll change it up for you and/or make it harder.

I figured there'd be a lot I could do, just had no clue what would be best for me, etc. That would be fantastic mate, you're a legend.

@Notor, I've been working on my diet as well, I just haven't been able to get this side of things in check. I will check that out though, r/fit helped me out a fair bit as well.
ual
ual
Pro

Funky Munky wrote:
ual wrote:

I figured there'd be a lot I could do, just had no clue what would be best for me, etc. That would be fantastic mate, you're a legend.

@Notor, I've been working on my diet as well, I just haven't been able to get this side of things in check. I will check that out though, r/fit helped me out a fair bit as well.

I had some spare time this morning so I spent 20 minutes writing up a routine for you. Check your PMs.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
the mrs & i have started to play ultimate frisbee at uni. she used to play for the australian youth team. one of the most hectic sports i've ever played fitness-wise - absolutely love it!

at our uni we've got a couple of dudes who play for the australian team, and now as i'm learning the rules a bit more & improving my throwing i'm starting to match it with those guys - pretty happy with how i'm going.
ual
ual
Pro

Very nice, always thought of giving frisbee a try. Don't have the time though :(
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
ual wrote:
Very nice, always thought of giving frisbee a try. Don't have the time though :(

i'd recommend anyone to make time for it. it's such a good game.

we're lucky - the uni crew roll a 7:30-9:30 hitout on a monday night, and we have nothing on monday nights.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

ual wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
ual wrote:

I had some spare time this morning so I spent 20 minutes writing up a routine for you. Check your PMs.

Can you PM through to me too to check it out?
ual
ual
Pro

Sent, have a look and tell me what you think.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Looks good. High intensity interval/weights works great and I like that you didn't specify sets/reps so that it can be improved on. It's close to crossfit style.
ual
ual
Pro

IMO when it comes to weight loss and toning it's all about body weight or light weights with high intensity. Sheds the fat quickly and tones up the muscle.
ual
ual
Pro

If anyone else is looking to get into exercise and needs a quick routine made up just send me a PM telling me what you want to achieve and what resources you have available (exercise bikes, gym memberships, home weight set etc.). It's good practice for me.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

I've been doing a bit of a marketing blitz at work about my journey into the fitness industry. I just posted the photo that made me take a hard look at myself and my lifestyle (2009)

Next post I'll be posting 2 years later when I went to Thailand to get a suit tailored.

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

So I've lost a decent amount of weight in the last 8 or so months, but I still feel kind of fat. I'd like to drop another couple of kilos, but I reckon maybe if I toned up a bit I'd feel better about how I look.
Any advice for how I can do that?
ual
ual
Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
So I've lost a decent amount of weight in the last 8 or so months, but I still feel kind of fat. I'd like to drop another couple of kilos, but I reckon maybe if I toned up a bit I'd feel better about how I look.
Any advice for how I can do that?

Without knowing what you look like/what you weigh/what you used to weigh/how you got to your current weight I'd have to suggest what works for most other people. That is, high intensity interval training (e.g. on the exercise bike, cycle at a decent resistance for 50 seconds, then do a 10 second sprint at max capacity. Do this for ~10-20 minutes) and a high protein diet. It's important when you diet not to neglect fat and carbs regardless of what every second pseudo-nutrition expert and his uncle tells you. You need carbs and lipids to stay alive, just be smart about it. Make sure you have a good sized breakfast with a decent amount of carbs and eat small meals every 3 or so hours rather than 3 big meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). This'll keep your metabolism working harder even when you're not exercising. I'd also recommend not having any carbs, or at least limit them, after ~5pm. They'll just sit there without being burned off.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

I know this probably sounds a bit stupid, but I don't think I'd be able to eat small, regular meals. I have a pretty bad relationship with food, and I'd feel like I was eating too much.
Since I don't have an exercise bike, would the interval training be just as effective by running? Any other kind of general toning type exercises I can do?
ual
ual
Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
I know this probably sounds a bit stupid, but I don't think I'd be able to eat small, regular meals. I have a pretty bad relationship with food, and I'd feel like I was eating too much.
Since I don't have an exercise bike, would the interval training be just as effective by running? Any other kind of general toning type exercises I can do?

Weight loss isn't just about exercising and eating well. You have to honestly want it, you need the willpower to say "ok, that was enough, I don't need any more". People can tell you what to do all you like but until you knuckle down and decide you're gonna go for it nothing well eventuate.

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

Weight loss isn't just about exercising and eating well. You have to honestly want it, you need the willpower to say "ok, that was enough, I don't need any more". People can tell you what to do all you like but until you knuckle down and decide you're gonna go for it nothing well eventuate.

I think you misunderstand, stopping eating isn't my problem (most of the time), not eating as much as I probably should is more of the issue for me.
ual
ual
Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

I think you misunderstand, stopping eating isn't my problem (most of the time), not eating as much as I probably should is more of the issue for me.

Oh right, my bad. Well the solution to that is counting kJ, that way you KNOW you haven't eaten too much. So for breakfast eat 2500kJ, morning tea eat 1000kJ, Lunch another 2000kJ, afternoon tea 1000kJ, dinner 2000kJ and then before you go to bed if you're still hungry finish off with 500kJ. That's 9000kJ (average daily intake for an adult is 8700) which is probably well below what would cause you to gain weight, especially if you do 30 minutes of exercise (cardio + some of what I pm'd you). Sure it'll take effort to count the kJ but it'll be worth it if you have peace of mind knowing you haven't eaten too much.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Thoughts on short term run of clenbuterol?
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Bump. Sweetie, if you have time would you be able to do one for me? :)
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Sweetie,oh my!
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search