SOCCEROO match stats/analysis

SOCCEROO match stats/analysis

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I've had a lot of work on, pretty heavy coaching commitments and have been spending time in a remote area of the state, so the stats for the Oman game will take some time.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
I've had a lot of work on, pretty heavy coaching commitments and have been spending time in a remote area of the state, so the stats for the Oman game will take some time.

No need to rush mate, get at them when you have time. :d
lollywood
lollywood
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Decentric wrote:

Yes you certainly have been busy under various guises.

http://www.footballanarchy.net/forum/why-youth-dev-in-this-country-is-in-a-pathetic-state-t43438.html

We understand however, but when you're finished over there please feel free to post your stats.

Thanking you in advance.

Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Decentric wrote:

Still coming or have we given up on that one?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:
Decentric wrote:

Still coming or have we given up on that one?

I am about two thirds of the way through the game. I will eventually complete it. When it is eventually done, there will be some new perspectives and angles, from all the recent FFA coach education I've completed.

Sorry to say it, but I spend so much more time on football with a new position I have, devising training ground programs and reviewing games, plus administrative and organisational issues, it is more like work. I don't know how people do this stuff and have a full time job as well!

I can see why the guys on here who coach at a high level, don't spend a lot of time on the internet. I must admit, I've been active elsewhere, providing some counter perspectives to Bitters on the state of youth development.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Just seem to have had a lot more work on this year as a relief teacher, even though semi-retired. With four nights a week football commitments, one night preparing a session, the next one taking it, plus often a game or two in a week, I seem to be incredibly busy , along with domestic commitments.

One thing I'm coming to terms with , is us not qualifying for the WC. We have not played well enough, and probably don't have players who are really good enough at this point in time. The Asian teams are becoming more physical too, and improving tactically.

The scheduling hasn't helped. That is, with our weaker opponents from the Middle-east usually being scheduled to be played in searing heat. This evens things up a bit. Also, Jordan winning, has really put the pressure on, as well as drawing at home against Oman.

There are issues with timing too. Our players of the right age, about 28, are not that good. Our good players of the past are usually too far past their best. Our young guns are not generally established in overseas leagues.

Some players who have done well with the Socceroos, like Spira, have struggled to forge a successful club career in decent leagues.

How Holger picked Cornthwaite over Ogger bemuses me? Corny was responsible for the mistake that conceded the goal. Ogger wouldn't have made it. Ogger's distribution is mediocre, but his positioning and 1v1 ability is excellent. He also has vast experience.

Holger also took too long to have Australia playing in a 1-4-2-3-1. Initially, Australia won games under his tutelage, early in his tenure, when they were outplayed. This was bad.

The best performances of this campaign, may be ones I haven't seen. The away game against Saudi, and I only saw the last 30 minutes of the home game against Oman in the last round, were possibly our best performances .
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Heavy.
I still like to think that we're favourites to finish in the top two, if only marginally.
One point behind 2nd place, ahead on goal difference and one game in hand is not a horrible position to be in.
Damo Baresi
Damo Baresi
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Decentric wrote:

How Holger picked Cornthwaite over Ogger bemuses me? Corny was responsible for the mistake that conceded the goal. Ogger wouldn't have made it. Ogger's distribution is mediocre, but his positioning and 1v1 ability is excellent. He also has vast experience.

The Ogg monster may have let either the ball OR the attacker get past him, but he would not have let them both get past him.

I like his killer instinct. Thwaite, nor Schwarzer have the killer instinct.

Edited by Damo Baresi: 7/5/2013 06:59:54 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

AUSTRALIA V OMAN in Australia

Australia 2 , Oman 2.

Australia's scorers were Cahill and Holman - didn't record Oman's.

Australia had 70% possession, Oman had 30% possession.

(This is according to number of passes completed). Oman had 10 instances where they carried the ball for 15 metres or more, Australia had 22 .

Australia completed 433 passes, Oman 185 passes.

In the break up of those passes Australia had 165 in the defensive half and 268 in the attacking half. Oman made 54 defensive passes and 131 attacking passes.
So Australia had 137 more passes in the attacking half.
Australia had 11 more passes in the defensive half.

Australia won 37 more one on one duels.

There were 148 1v1 duels altogether. This is an average figure.

Cornthwaite featured in 17 1v1 duels;

Holland contested 25;

Brosque contested 13;

Kruse contested 17,

Thwaite contested 17.

Jedinak contested 25.

Cahill contested 20.

The lowest contested 1v1 duels figure for Australian players on the pitch for most of the game, was McKay( who's ledger was minus 1).

Jedinak won 10 more than he lost.

Holland won 3 more than he lost out of 5 contested.

Cornthwaite won 10 more than he lost.

Thwaite won 9 more than he lost.

Cahill won 10 more than he lost, (nearly all heading duels).

Holman won 5 more than he lost, (micu beter thannormal for him).

Wilkshire's 1v1 ledger was minus 3. In his position of full back, minus figures are unacceptable, which was usually Carney's big weakness.

McKay also recorded minus 1, which is also problematic as a full back.

Australia had 90 % pass accuracy
for attempted passes , Oman had 89%.

The all important defensive pass accuracy was 97 % for Australia , whilst Oman achieved 89 % .

Attacking pass accuracy for Australia was 86 % , whilst Oman achieved 89%.

Australia had 19 shots for goal, Oman had 11.

Of these shots, 2 of Oman's were from outside the box, 3 of Australia's were from outside the box.

Australia had 14 shots on goal from inside the penalty box, Romania had 9.

Australia had 8 shots on target, Oman had 4,

Schwarzer made 1 save, whilst the Oman keeper made 6.

Ball carrying has changed considerably since Archie, Brosque, Kruse, Oar, Rukayvtsa and Rogic have played. With the Socceroo personnel of a year or so ago and the previous 3 years, we ball carried far less than our opposition.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

Friendly suggestion: In future when you make a post in this thread could you provide a link to the more elaborate AF section thread?
Otherwise it's a huge pain to try and find the old AF stat threads.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

What do u mean Holland won three more than he lost out of five?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Neanderthal wrote:
Friendly suggestion: In future when you make a post in this thread could you provide a link to the more elaborate AF section thread?
Otherwise it's a huge pain to try and find the old AF stat threads.

Point noted.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=82461

Edited by Decentric: 26/5/2013 10:44:07 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I intend to do the Brazil game in stats.

I'm still overwhelmed with football and income accruing work though.

I hope to have it in a few weeks at the latest.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

Decentric wrote:

Looking forward.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Neanderthal wrote:
Decentric wrote:

Looking forward.

I'm up to the 53 minute mark, but have the FFA state conference this weekend. Craft beer takes precedence tonight and tomorrow night.:)

It should be up by Tuesday evening.

This game should show up some interesting trends, because it is the worst we've played for some time, probably back to before Hiddink's era.

At the 53 minute mark, Holman, McGowan and Kennedy have had shockers so far. Oar has touched the ball about twice.:cry:

Edited by Decentric: 13/9/2013 06:51:55 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=85943

This is the Brazil/Australia game.

Based on Neanderthal's suggestion, I've posted the link whilst this thread is in the Australian section.

I'll post it into the archive here later.

This game is the antithesis of almost any other Socceroos game in the last five years, apart from when Australia played Holland in Sydney before the last World Cup.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

AUSTRALIA v BRAZIL in Brazil[/u]

Australia 0, Brazil 6.

Brazil's scorers were Jo 2, Neymar 1, Pato 1, Rampez 1, Luis Gustavo 1.

Australia had 34% possession, Brazil had 66% possession.

(This is based on completed passes. Unlike most other games there was a massive differential in 15 metre plus ball carries. Only 1 to Australia and 20 to Brazil. So possession would have been more like 30%/70%. This is easily the worst in the last 5 years for Australia.)

Australia completed 221 passes, Brazil 431 passes.

In the break up of those passes Australia had 131 in the defensive half and 90 in the attacking half. Brazil made 192 defensive passes and 239 attacking passes.
So Brazil had 149 had more passes in the attacking half.
Brazil had 61 more passes in the defensive half.

Brazil also had most of their twenty 15 metre plus ball carries in the attacking half.

Oar only completed 1 effective pass in the 58 minutes he was on the pitch. The worst ever, in the last 5 years!

Bresciano was Australia's most successful, completing 40 passes at 98%, which in the context of the game, was very good.

Milligan was also busy, completing 14 passes in 26 minutes.

Brazil won 18 more 1v1 duels.

(This has never occurred in any of Australia's games in the last five years.)

There were 100 1v1 duels altogether. This is a well below average figure.

Kruse featured in 22, 1v1 duels;

McGowan contested 18;

Kennedy contested 15;

The lowest contested 1v1 duels figure for Australian players on the pitch for most of the game, was McKay 4 (who's ledger was 0).

Milligan won 3 more than he lost ( the highest in the Socceroos) out of 5 contested.

Ogger won 2 more than he lost out of 8 contested.

Archie won 2 more than he lost out of 3 contested.

Neymar dribbled around Aussie players on 10 occasions, destroying McGowan and Kruse.

Kruse's 1v1 ledger was minus 5.

McGowan also recorded minus 3, which is problematic as a full back.

Australia had 89 % pass accuracy
for attempted passes , Brazil had 94 %.

The all important defensive pass accuracy was 96 % for Australia , whilst Brazil achieved 97 % .

Attacking pass accuracy for Australia was 80 % , whilst Brazil achieved 91%.

Australia had 3 shots for goal, Brazil had 15.

Of these shots, 2 of Brazil's were from outside the box, 1 of Australia's were from outside the box.

Australia had 2 shots on goal ( 1 blocked) from inside the penalty box, Brazil had 13.

Australia had 0 shots on target, Brazil had 9,

Schwarzer made 4 saves, whilst the Brazilian keeper made 0.

Ball carrying was significant. Brazil often had space to run into, and in more crowded positions were able to shake off Aussie markers.

McGowan only achieved a 15 metre ball carry on 1 occasion for the whole of the game and was the only Socceroo to do this!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

To augment the discussion about Mark Milligan some time ago, I ran through stats for Milligan, Bresciano and Rogic for the game against Iraq.

In passing MIlligan made 51 passes (a lot) with an overall 91% pass completion rate and a defensive complete rate of 95%. Milligan made 11 difficult passes.

Bresciano made 39 passes, with 95% completion rate overall and a defensive score of 100%. Bresc made 14 difficult passes.

In 1v1s, Milligan contested 24 duels winning 8 more than he lost. He conceded 4 free kicks and won 1.

Bresciano contested 10, winning 2 more than he lost. He had no free kick incidents. Bresciano had 2 shots on goal and made the critical assist for Kennedy to score.

Angus, Milligan lost three 1v1 incidents in a row within a few minutes in the second half. This may have looked like he had a bad game.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1697114&

Rogic was only on the pitch for 30 minutes. His passing stats weren't that notable, except he made 11, making 6 difficult passes.

What was outstanding for Rogic was his sublime first touch.

In 7 1v1 duels, he dribbled around opposition players on 5 occasions, including beating two at once. Some staff coaches within FFA, think he is even better than Kewell.

Rogic was with the ACT NTC until 17.

At second look, Oar had a blinder, apart from his and Kruse's lack of good crosses.
fcp
fcp
Under 7s
Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)

IN this video you can compare Australians with stats figures of the top teams at EURO Cup 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4SeablssUE
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=87097

Here is the link for the France game whilst in the Australian section of the forum.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Would love to see Franjic's stats tonight, outstanding match by him.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

rogic was definitely a sight to behold.
Hopefully we see the real tommy oar. He is a gun and just as promising as the best of our youth. He made a bizarre cross to no one but looked good otherwise

I would love to see bresc and rogic in the same starting 11. Best passer and possibly the best dribbler with kruse on the wing.....don't rule a win out at the world cup just yet

Edited by grazorblade: 20/11/2013 06:35:15 AM
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

Yeah haven't been this excited for the stats of a game in a long time. I assume you have plans to do them for this game Decentric?

To my eye some of the under-performers of recent times with the NT had improved games i.e. Williams and Jedi. Probably Williams benefiting from the high line and Jedi benefiting from playing as a more true number 6.
Also the fullback experiments looked the goods too.

Edited by neanderthal: 20/11/2013 09:30:37 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Neanderthal wrote:
Yeah haven't been this excited for the stats of a game in a long time. I assume you have plans to do them for this game Decentric?

To my eye some of the under-performers of recent times with the NT had improved games i.e. Williams and Jedi. Probably Williams benefiting from the high line and Jedi benefiting from playing as a more true number 6.
Also the fullback experiments looked the goods too.

Edited by neanderthal: 20/11/2013 09:30:37 AM

Plan on doing the stats for Costa Rica/Australia after the current cricket Test.:)
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Would love to see Franjic's stats tonight, outstanding match by him.

Franjic will be interesting as he has directly replaced Wilkshire.

Stats have indicated Wilkshire has been getting worse, like Neill, over the last few years.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Has Kate Cohen done Socceroo's before?
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

SpongeBobFC wrote:

She did two articles for this game.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/pressing-in-a-4-2-3-1-formation/

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/19/ange-postecoglou-socceroos-tactics-costa-rica?CMP=twt_gu

The Guardian one is a bit of a quick shallow summary over most notable points about Australia's game. But I found the Leopold method one purely on the teams pressing quite a bit deeper and more interesting.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:
SpongeBobFC wrote:

She did two articles for this game.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/pressing-in-a-4-2-3-1-formation/

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/19/ange-postecoglou-socceroos-tactics-costa-rica?CMP=twt_gu

The Guardian one is a bit of a quick shallow summary over most notable points about Australia's game. But I found the Leopold method one purely on the teams pressing quite a bit deeper and more interesting.

Cheers.
good read just confirmed alot of my thoughts.
Interesting to see how he goes with the Centre forward position.
We will definitely get in behind the opposition against the run of play with the likes of Leckie.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I'm about a quarter of the way throughout the Costa Rica/Socceroo game.

Some interesting phenomena already.

The team seems much quicker than Holger's last team put out against France. The off the ball pressure in Aussie BPO is more energetic and more cohesive.

Leckie puts a lot more pressure on at number 9 than Kennedy and Cahill. His speed and energy is an asset defensively. He is also creating more off the ball movement than Kennedy and Cahill, when Australia is in BP.

Franjic seems much faster over the turf than Wikshire, which assists us playing a higher line, with him being able to cover more quickly in defensive transitions. Frantic is also a better header of the ball. He also seems able to combine effectively with Kruse, with the extra speed.

Davidson won one really muscular challenge, no other LB to date could've done. He has combined really well with Vidosic on a couple of occasions.

Vidosic is looking effective except he lacks confidence with his left foot, even though playing on the left flank.

Jedda and Milligan appear to enjoy playing with each other for the first time. Milligan's technique has improved immeasurably in the last few years.

Ryan is far superior with his feet, withe the ball on the deck, than any other keeper we've had to date. He is our most effective goalkeeping sweeper who distributes much better than anyone else.

It is just as well Schwarzer retired, because this part of his game was really starting to manifest as a weakness, like nearly all the other Aussie keepers who were products of the pre 2005 coaching era.

I'll post this complete version on Australian section first, but I'll post here when it is completed to let people know.
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

I thought leckie was fantastic for those exact reasons you posted above. Hes a headache for any defender.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search