The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 14 Mar 2020 7:43 AM
Remember when people scoffed at the signing of Scott MacDonald 

😂

I didn't !! 
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

WSF - 14 Mar 2020 8:25 AM
Waz - 14 Mar 2020 7:43 AM

3 goals in 8 games, amazing stuff right there :laugh:

So how many points is that in eight games....more importantly!
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 14 Mar 2020 12:19 PM
According to the commentators, Macca has been involved or scored for something like 7 of the 8 goals scored (8 out of 9 now?) by the Roar since he joined.

Whatever the correct numbers are - it makes a spooner look a bit silly with his trolling.

Hide that spoon better please.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Bender Parma
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

So, just wondering, if the season gets called off now, does mean that Roar qualify for Asia next year, by virtue of 4th place finish where Wellington are inelligible?
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Bender Parma - 16 Mar 2020 10:33 AM
So, just wondering, if the season gets called off now, does mean that Roar qualify for Asia next year, by virtue of 4th place finish where Wellington are inelligible?

It's not being called off.  FFA just announced that season will be compressed into 3 weeks and all games behind closed doors.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

It would make incredible karma of that rained out game against the Nix.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

aok - 16 Mar 2020 10:36 AM

It's not being called off.  FFA just announced that season will be compressed into 3 weeks and all games behind closed doors.

Games as fixtured will continue, except for the Victory and Pheonix games over the next 2 weeks. So our game against Victory is postponed. Our game against Sydney on 28th March will be played.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play Jets this weekend and Sydney midweek next week. It’s not clear where they will play the games though but O’Rourke said Nix would be based in NSWs so do we assume all games will be there (central coast stadium would be perfect surely?) 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Decent discussion on Roars tactics here:

“.... This has become noticed by many, but one A-League side have actually implemented the strategy into their game. The Brisbane Roar also play three at the back, with the wing-backs pushing high and wide, but have had trouble scoring goals this season, especially in the first half.Coach Robbie Fowler has implemented his compatriot’s strategy and, although it hasn’t had any direct impact on the scoresheet, it has helped Brisbane move teams from side-to-side.

They also have the correct players for it; Scott Neville was a known right-back before moving onto the right of a back three, while Macaulay Gillesphey strikes the ball well and is a great crosser from deep. The Roar like to create triangles on the wings, forcing their opponents in before switching play, and their overlapping centre-backs play a big part in that. They create a triangle with one of the central midfielders or attacking midfielders, and constantly move around within that triangle, with one player supplying width, one supplying an option square, and one moving in between the lines.
Corey Brown receives the ball and straight away cuts inside, as he knows Gillesphey will be making that overlapping run, taking the defenders’ attention.

While it may not be the most complex of strategies, the overlapping centre-back breaks down low blocks in defence and thus is handy to remember”.

Now that came from a blog article on the ‘Roar of the Crowd’ a site that is regularly looked down on by this site  - however, compare the quality of that article to the quality of debate on this site? 

There is no comparison, this site has been overwhelmed by trolls and it will be the death of it 

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/03/18/the-art-of-the-overlapping-centre-back/

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Haven't we lost a position due to poor statistics over the last few years? So its only champions with direct entry and premiers into the playoffs.  Shows our disdain for the competition has come to bite us. 
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Waz - 19 Mar 2020 6:58 AM

“.... This has become noticed by many, but one A-League side have actually implemented the strategy into their game. The Brisbane Roar also play three at the back, with the wing-backs pushing high and wide, but have had trouble scoring goals this season, especially in the first half.Coach Robbie Fowler has implemented his compatriot’s strategy and, although it hasn’t had any direct impact on the scoresheet, it has helped Brisbane move teams from side-to-side.

They also have the correct players for it; Scott Neville was a known right-back before moving onto the right of a back three, while Macaulay Gillesphey strikes the ball well and is a great crosser from deep. The Roar like to create triangles on the wings, forcing their opponents in before switching play, and their overlapping centre-backs play a big part in that. They create a triangle with one of the central midfielders or attacking midfielders, and constantly move around within that triangle, with one player supplying width, one supplying an option square, and one moving in between the lines.
Corey Brown receives the ball and straight away cuts inside, as he knows Gillesphey will be making that overlapping run, taking the defenders’ attention.

While it may not be the most complex of strategies, the overlapping centre-back breaks down low blocks in defence and thus is handy to remember”.

Now that came from a blog article on the ‘Roar of the Crowd’ a site that is regularly looked down on by this site  - however, compare the quality of that article to the quality of debate on this site? 

There is no comparison, this site has been overwhelmed by trolls and it will be the death of it 

In the past 14 games, CCM has conceded 2 or more goals in every game except for two games....the two games against Brisbane. Brisbane have scored the 2nd least goals in the league. I would say based on goals scored, the attacking tactics are ineffective.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

thekingmb - 19 Mar 2020 9:19 AM

In the past 14 games, CCM has conceded 2 or more goals in every game except for two games....the two games against Brisbane. Brisbane have scored the 2nd least goals in the league. I would say based on goals scored, the attacking tactics are ineffective.

We were seated in the attacking corner Last Friday with Corey Brown running at us. In the whole of the half he played one forward pass which resulted in Inman being fouled in the corner.  For the life of me I don't understand the thinking behind the repetitive recycling of the ball rather than attempting to get to the byline and make a cutback to O'shea or McDonald. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I think the last 2 games have been great in way of structure. The adjustments worked a treat. It was quite different to previous games and I hope to see more like it. In contrast and for example, the game before we barely had a shot at goal with the first in the 72nd minute. But we weren't supposedly parking the bus. lol.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

...Now that came from a blog article on the ‘Roar of the Crowd’ a site that is regularly looked down on by this site  - however, compare the quality of that article to the quality of debate on this site?

I will go there then. Thanks for the heads-up Waz.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Footballking55 - 19 Mar 2020 9:29 AM

We were seated in the attacking corner Last Friday with Corey Brown running at us. In the whole of the half he played one forward pass which resulted in Inman being fouled in the corner.  For the life of me I don't understand the thinking behind the repetitive recycling of the ball rather than attempting to get to the byline and make a cutback to O'shea or McDonald. 

They’re looking for the overload. 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

Waz - 19 Mar 2020 2:56 PM
Footballking55 - 19 Mar 2020 9:29 AM

They’re looking for the overload. 

Understood, but when they don't press the envelope, the defenders can just sit back and wait for the recycle to the other side. Rinse and repeat. Again, Corey made, from my recollection, one forward pass in 45 minutes in the first half on Friday. That generated a free kick in a reasonable area because CCM had to re-adjust and were late to the ball.

The other point I'd make is that Corey often has the wrong body shape, mentioned ad nauseam by @Decentric (fortunately, I'm a slow learner), which necessitates him passing backwards. I haven't saved the game soI'll have to look for a replay or online, but I will have another look at the game in light of your comments.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Footballking55
Waz
Waz
Legend

Footballking55 - 19 Mar 2020 5:33 PM

Understood, but when they don't press the envelope, the defenders can just sit back and wait for the recycle to the other side. Rinse and repeat. Again, Corey made, from my recollection, one forward pass in 45 minutes in the first half on Friday. That generated a free kick in a reasonable area because CCM had to re-adjust and were late to the ball.

The other point I'd make is that Corey often has the wrong body shape, mentioned ad nauseam by @Decentric (fortunately, I'm a slow learner), which necessitates him passing backwards. I haven't saved the game soI'll have to look for a replay or online, but I will have another look at the game in light of your comments.

What they look to do is cut inside once the numbers are there, it’s a pass they’ve been doing all season but not to great effect. Now they’re committing numbers to one side and instead of going around the defence to the dead ball line looking for the cross/cut back they’re looking to play through the defence on the inside. 

ROD presumably couldn’t do this but SMD clearly can. DWH is probably struggling with it (more than Mirza by the looks of things) but put him in the right side of the defence and he would be lethal. 

Now it’s not working as well as RF would clearly like But he’s clearly sticking too it, I personally don’t think it’s a Quality thing, but they’re not executing it at pace or with precision. Occasionally they do, just not frequently enough .... 

It’s why Gillesphey is often up front (the “overlapping Center back” the author of the article talks about) where he’s been all season, often on the edge or in the opponents penalty box in open play - the five man midfield, plus the holding nine, the ten, and the CB can create 5-8 players in a narrow field of play who then need to be able to thread the ball through the defence. It’s not quite working but it’s getting there 

I’d bet if you looked at Roars training from day to day they’re doing a lot of drills in 25m x 25m boxes with as many as 9 or 10 players in there and others in very compressed spaces. 

It’s probably why Roar don’t counter attack very quickly - the attackers are literally waiting for the opponents defence to set and his team mates to catch up before deciding which side to attack through first. 

It should have been a fascinating discussion this year but instead it’s been big bashed by trolls. 

Waz
Waz
Legend

And on Corey - I don’t think much of him at all. So no argument from me in what he contributes 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

Waz - 19 Mar 2020 8:46 PM

And on Corey - I don’t think much of him at all. So no argument from me in what he contributes 

Many thanks for your work.  I noticed there's an hours highlights of the CCM game tomorrow afternoon so I will look at that. Hopefully enough of the game to get the idea. 
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Edited
4 Years Ago by JonoMV
Waz
Waz
Legend

In the last 15 games it’s been three times Mariners have only conceded one goal, the one before the two Roar ones being SFC 1, CCM 0. It’s clear that Mariners can be tough to beat occasionally and can capitulate occasionally. I wouldn’t read too much into individual games tbh. 

The stats for Roar show two things relevant to the point I think you’re trying to make: 

The first is Roar don’t score many goals. There’s no hiding that, nor do they create enough chances and it’s noticeable their xG has fallen off a cliff since this good run started. 

The second is the defence is bloody good, and when opponents do get past the defence there’s a bloody good keeper there as well. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Roar fan that’s happy with the goal scoring rate at the moment, but there’s plenty happy with the form that’s for sure. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Waz - 20 Mar 2020 6:58 AM

In the last 15 games it’s been three times Mariners have only conceded one goal, the one before the two Roar ones being SFC 1, CCM 0. It’s clear that Mariners can be tough to beat occasionally and can capitulate occasionally. I wouldn’t read too much into individual games tbh. 

The stats for Roar show two things relevant to the point I think you’re trying to make: 

The first is Roar don’t score many goals. There’s no hiding that, nor do they create enough chances and it’s noticeable their xG has fallen off a cliff since this good run started. 

The second is the defence is bloody good, and when opponents do get past the defence there’s a bloody good keeper there as well. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Roar fan that’s happy with the goal scoring rate at the moment, but there’s plenty happy with the form that’s for sure. 

Watched the replay vs Mariners this morning. I am more than satisfied with the progress over the last 2 games.

Just looking where it broke down for us when it did - player sloppiness, lack of quick decision making and shortage of individual skill all strongly contributed The style of game played cleverly minimizes the impact of these shortfalls but is nevertheless good to watch. Crossing fingers for next season as.we're so close and yet so far.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 20 Mar 2020 11:13 AM

Watched the replay vs Mariners this morning. I am more than satisfied with the progress over the last 2 games.

Just looking where it broke down for us when it did - player sloppiness, lack of quick decision making and shortage of individual skill all strongly contributed The style of game played cleverly minimizes the impact of these shortfalls but is nevertheless good to watch. Crossing fingers for next season as.we're so close and yet so far.

I’m with you. Hard to know what to expect from this season but Fowler’s getting a pass from me with high optimism for next season now 
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Is that down to coaching or players? I think its clear to see there is a game plan going forward which the players aren't executing, therefore the current crop of attackers Inman, O'Shea, Scotty Mac (even though his done his job), Holloway, require replacing for this team to become a championship contender.
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

thekingmb - 20 Mar 2020 12:42 PM

Is that down to coaching or players? I think its clear to see there is a game plan going forward which the players aren't executing, therefore the current crop of attackers Inman, O'Shea, Scotty Mac (even though his done his job), Holloway, require replacing for this team to become a championship contender.

Disagree somewhat there...a decent 9 and a really decent 6.....and this team goes somewhere to being a contender. I'm happy with Inman and OShea. 
The task is it's the A-League, which many seem to forget, so we not gonna get the best players therefore we have to search through many leagues and find a likely player who is actually available and keen for a job downunder. 
Somebody said last week there's other players around better than Gillesphey and Aldred, so I said ok....like who.....tell me......no answer.
Certainly there's players like Le Fondre, Ninko, Castro around but first you gotta find them!

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

And obviously Scott Mac
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Jimo8 - 20 Mar 2020 3:37 PM
And obviously Scott Mac

Scotty mac has done well in the system, and it functions much better with him in there rather than ROD but he is old and cant maintain the required output for 90+ minutes. Mirza/DWH pick up Scottys slack a bit with enthusiasm and running but lack scotty's technical ability. what we need is a hybrid of the two with the energy to run and harass defences for 90+ minutes but with scotty's technical ability (preferably we would have 2 of them up front, but a really good 9 with scotty subbed by Mirza/dwh playing beside him would go a long way to improving us). 

Inman and oShae also play the system well and their only downside is that they havent scored a lot. but if you have a better duo upfront it would free up inman and oshae to score more as defences would be pegged back a bit more. 

O'neil has improved as the season has progressed but his spot is another one that would improve us remarkably. A player like Brattan who can hold the DM spot on his own would really improve us. 

those are the two spots that i would be looking to improve at all costs next season. then an out and out starting CB, Neville has done well but Bowles has started to many games this season. an out and out  starter would relegate Neville to the bench but we have really needed an extra CB this season. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

sirhcdobo - 20 Mar 2020 4:55 PM
Jimo8 - 20 Mar 2020 3:37 PM

Scotty mac has done well in the system, and it functions much better with him in there rather than ROD but he is old and cant maintain the required output for 90+ minutes. Mirza/DWH pick up Scottys slack a bit with enthusiasm and running but lack scotty's technical ability. what we need is a hybrid of the two with the energy to run and harass defences for 90+ minutes but with scotty's technical ability (preferably we would have 2 of them up front, but a really good 9 with scotty subbed by Mirza/dwh playing beside him would go a long way to improving us). 

Inman and oShae also play the system well and their only downside is that they havent scored a lot. but if you have a better duo upfront it would free up inman and oshae to score more as defences would be pegged back a bit more. 

O'neil has improved as the season has progressed but his spot is another one that would improve us remarkably. A player like Brattan who can hold the DM spot on his own would really improve us. 

those are the two spots that i would be looking to improve at all costs next season. then an out and out starting CB, Neville has done well but Bowles has started to many games this season. an out and out  starter would relegate Neville to the bench but we have really needed an extra CB this season. 

I haven’t seen any question marks over Scott’s ability to deliver over 90 minutes. But agree we need to find a younger version but it’s not DWH or mirza 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

I know teams below us have games in hand, but how good is it to have runs on the board for a change!

It is not us chasing other teams - they are chasing us. They may catch us but it is fantastic to be making our own 'luck' in that regard and getting the points.

This is a team we can be proud of.

Carn the Roar!

Waz
Waz
Legend

DWH looked way better tonight. Far more comfortable 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search