The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Great effort tonight. Went to sleep early and saved by the post. Points on the board. Very happy with the performance. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

We’re playing Sydney on Wednesday night apparently 
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Sydney next then...well that'll be the test. 

If we can compete like last time v Sydney I'd be happy, win lose or draw. 

Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

Is the return to form to the Roar down to Fowler getting the players to believe in him and his methods?
Or is it burn out at the other teams!               Can they tame Sydney?

Clear Contact There

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Blew.2 - 21 Mar 2020 8:29 AM
Is the return to form to the Roar down to Fowler getting the players to believe in him and his methods?

Roar have turned in to a good team. 

They don’t score enough goals to worry really good teams but SFC and Sydney both required lucky goals to beat Roar. 

They’ve pretty much made finals now and they could win the whole thing given the form they’re in, but I could say the same for the (clear) favourites SFC, City and Nix. 

It’s a shame but we will probably get a great finals series but won’t be the same played at a bit of a rush and with no fans. Still going to be intriguing though. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Blew.2 - 21 Mar 2020 8:29 AM

Not return to form but more that the team is getting their method and structure perfected. 
Not perfect but better, especially defensively. 

some are going on about the lack of goals but the point is to win a game. 

I always focus on defence firstly when coaching. Ideally you don't want to be chasing the game.

i doubt that teams have burn out. Over these next few weeks may prove challenging though, but clubs will have people in place to deal with that IMO. 

Sydney....your guess is as good as mine, though Brisbane are in a good place mentally and with a little luck could go close. 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

RF has  finally settled on the best team.So its the same players week in week out.Which obviously works well for structures ,combinations and all round play.
Our defence has always been hard to crack when set and at least now can pressure the attacker more on turnovers.
Macca has the quality to take the few half chances.Whereas ROD couldnt.As we saw last night.
3 wins in a row,down in no small part to Macca scoring when without him we wouldn't.
Another standout player at the moment is AON.It's been a long time since I have seen a Roar player win so much ball ,control passing and get forward and back all the time.He has really picked up his game ,after early on he was looking very average.

sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 21 Mar 2020 11:00 AM
RF has  finally settled on the best team.So its the same players week in week out.Which obviously works well for structures ,combinations and all round play.
Our defence has always been hard to crack when set and at least now can pressure the attacker more on turnovers.
Macca has the quality to take the few half chances.Whereas ROD couldnt.As we saw last night.
3 wins in a row,down in no small part to Macca scoring when without him we wouldn't.
Another standout player at the moment is AON.It's been a long time since I have seen a Roar player win so much ball ,control passing and get forward and back all the time.He has really picked up his game ,after early on he was looking very average.

AON was fantastic last night. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Another 3 points.  RF really has the team working so well. Watching the evolution of this team since the beginning of the year has been a very enjoyable experience.  The top 4 all look to be in pretty good from, with the Nix also going from strength to strength.  Hopefully we can get this season finished and the Roar make a decent run in the finals.
Waz
Waz
Legend

AON came back from the Olyroos qualifiers with improved confidence and it’s really showing. He was fantastic again last night. 

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Waz - 21 Mar 2020 11:27 AM

AON came back from the Olyroos qualifiers with improved confidence and it’s really showing. He was fantastic again last night. 

AON has been very good lately ....to be fair the whole team has looked better individually .
I am not a huge fan of Hingert as a player (great clubman) but he has elevated his game greatly.
RF has given the team a structure that suits the (often) average talents with in it .
You notice that players do not hold a ball very long (if at all)...there is a huge amount of one touch passing .
Most average players can pass ...good ones can beat  a man on their own .
Passing the ball quickly and playing one touch football does a few things ....it frustrates opposing defenders as it is very difficult to regain possession or even get a tackle in ...it is difficult to break down an attack .....and while you don't have possession you get fewer attacking chances yourself.
It is a simple system for a simple team.....RF has this spot on ....
What was lacking earlier was Scott McDonald...he can finish and he can create moves and cast doubt amongst opposing defences..he also instills confidence within our team and gives leadership and experience  .
I won't say Scott is the final piece in the puzzle, as we need a few more players to be a great side, but he is a good start
To me RF and TG have been exactly what our club needed.....but can we keep them for next season ?

Edited
4 Years Ago by miron mercedes
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Hopefully RF will stay on as I think the job isn't done. 
Certainly if Brisbane get knocked out first week of finals it isn't done. 
Having improved this team as he has surely he's want to add a couple players and see what they can achieve next year. 
After a disastrous couple of years if the owners let him go just as the future is looking bright would be a very bad move. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

miron mercedes - 21 Mar 2020 12:01 PM

AON has been very good lately ....to be fair the whole team has looked better individually .
I am not a huge fan of Hingert as a player (great clubman) but he has elevated his game greatly.
RF has given the team a structure that suits the (often) average talents with in it .
You notice that players do not hold a ball very long (if at all)...there is a huge amount of one touch passing .
Passing the ball quickly and playing one touch football does a few things ....it frustrates opposing defenders as it is very difficult to regain possession or even get a tackle in ...it is difficult to break down an attack .....and while you don't have possession you get fewer attacking chances yourself.
What was lacking earlier was Scott McDonald...he can finish and he can create moves and cast doubt amongst opposing defences..he also instills confidence within our team and gives leadership and experience  .
I won't say Scott is the final piece in the puzzle, as we need a few more players to be a great side, but he is a good start
To me RF and TG have been exactly what our club needed.....but can we keep them for next season ?

Totally. And it kills the Aloisi myth that you can’t be successful at Brisbane (mind you, there’s more to build on in this squad) 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I think you might be missing the fact that many on our team are also getting better at creating a moment of time and space with the ball at their feet. Whether it is faking a pass, changing direction, or some other skill to make the opponent pause. McDonald and O'Shea are quite expert at it and use it to win through players. The others are working on it to allow much smarter play than simple one touch passing.

Hingert, as you say, has improved and one of the key features of his game now is the ability to receive a ball with no space or time and have his opponent hold off long enough to move or pass as he chooses.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 21 Mar 2020 1:27 PM

I think you might be missing the fact that many on our team are also getting better at creating a moment of time and space with the ball at their feet. Whether it is faking a pass, changing direction, or some other skill to make the opponent pause. McDonald and O'Shea are quite expert at it and use it to win through players. The others are working on it to allow much smarter play than simple one touch passing.

Hingert, as you say, has improved and one of the key features of his game now is the ability to receive a ball with no space or time and have his opponent hold off long enough to move or pass as he chooses.

Roars ability to play in confined space is pretty amazing, it’s not perfect but it’s getting better game by game. 

They literally slow the counter attack down, wait for the defensive numbers to arrive, wait for attacking numbers to arrive and then try and play through them. If it doesn’t work they switch to the far side and go again. 

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Waz - 21 Mar 2020 12:57 PM

Totally. And it kills the Aloisi myth that you can’t be successful at Brisbane (mind you, there’s more to build on in this squad) 

Speaking of JA, any more on the rumour about him relocating to Melbourne?
Waz
Waz
Legend

aok - 21 Mar 2020 2:47 PM
Waz - 21 Mar 2020 12:57 PM

Speaking of JA, any more on the rumour about him relocating to Melbourne?

I don’t want to stir the pot (and I don’t know him personally) but I’m told by a couple of senior coaches he is off to Melbourne in a senior role 
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 21 Mar 2020 1:27 PM

Yep don't disagree with that but I was keeping my analysis simple .
Yes we do do exactly as you mention regarding clever deceptive holding of a ball until help arrives  but the crux of our game is quick passing and not much running with the ball .
It is very difficult to play against .
I always hated playing against those guys who simply flitted into a space received and passed immediately and moved on .
They are a nightmare to defend against against .

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Hinget still can't cross if his life depended on it. Shown he's improved a tad by not trying to take on players as much that previously resulted on him losing the ball too often. He'll get back to his usual self sure enough as he's always done when going through his cycle.

3 games in a row now playing with a good structure and more meaningful attacks that balances out the team. Roar are the real deal now and enjoyable to watch. Finally.

Shame if we don't get to see how they can perform in a finals scenario against the top sides that will be motivated.

In a resort somewhere

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Not football related but Qld related, anyone voting this weekend? I sure as shit am not, they can send me the fine but I aint paying it. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

MrBrisbane - 25 Mar 2020 6:26 PM
Not football related but Qld related, anyone voting this weekend? I sure as shit am not, they can send me the fine but I aint paying it. 

Same here. The most ridiculous and contradictory decision to allow the elections to be attended.

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 25 Mar 2020 7:09 PM
MrBrisbane - 25 Mar 2020 6:26 PM

Same here. The most ridiculous and contradictory decision to allow the elections to be attended.

If you’re feeling sick on the day they’re asking you to stay away ... headache anyone? 
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

I already voted early.....I could see this coming! 
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I applied for a postal vote but have not received it yet. Unless it does turn up I won’t be voting. 
aok
aok
Pro

You would think a 6 month delay to the polls to see us through this mess would be the prudent thing to do.  But then again bureaucrats and clever rarely occupy the same space. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Postal vote arrived yesterday (requested the Sunday 2 days before it was originally due to close). Voting done.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

aok - 26 Mar 2020 9:04 AM
You would think a 6 month delay to the polls to see us through this mess would be the prudent thing to do.  But then again bureaucrats and clever rarely occupy the same space. 

We have vacancies in councils that have to be filled - and the electoral people still need to work to earn.

Silly to have voting in person, but not so silly really to have the poll go ahead I think.

Can you imagine how hard it is going to be opening all the postal vote envelopes then separating forms with disposable gloves on?

Waz
Waz
Legend

Robbies returned to the UK to be with family, wonder if we’ll see him come back? 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Waz - 27 Mar 2020 8:13 AM
Robbies returned to the UK to be with family, wonder if we’ll see him come back? 

He has personal business to finish here - would surely have liked to see his efforts tested in Finals, just as surely as they have been proven throughout the season.

Ange's career was not impaired when moving to a better offer.

I can only hope he will be back, but people in the rest of the world now have enough reason to take the risk on him.

paulc
paulc
Legend

I don't think RF has done enough yet. The test I and others would like to see is his ability to progress a team into title winning contention. How he reacts to a poor start to a season and although improving, can he improve all the way? Or is it that the league is so weak at the moment that judging him on a incomplete season is not sufficient? He needs another season.

In a resort somewhere

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search