The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
Aikhme
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
rusty - 22 Oct 2016 2:11 PM
To me it proves how insincere they are. Mostly they are just looking to tear down the government and look good in UN statistics. Notice how they praise countries like Jordan for they're treatment of asylum seekers, yet say nothing of the conditions in those camps. But when it comes to Nauru and PNG theyre torture camps. Duplicitous assholes.

And also when their reports are contrived and constructed.

Fact of the matter is, that Australia's detention centers are in actual fact the best in the world. 

Journalists are allowed to visit just like 2 or 3 have in the past, to see for themselves but they need to abide by some rules such as not publishing their usual rhetoric and propaganda. 

how convenient that the deaths at sea doesn't even rate a mention these days. I guess that's because they are faceless victims taken by the sea, whereas the crying child isn't faceless but would have been if the same child was taken by the sea as no one would care. Out of sight out of mind. More than 1200 people were killed at sea. Now we have stemmed the flow so just imagine all the potential lives saved. 

Edited
8 Years Ago by Aikhme
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
lol this Robb-new-job stuff reeks pretty bad.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol this new bit of policy about banning refugees is so wtf its not even funny.

I don't bite into the "One Nation pupper masters" horseshit, but it really is hard to see how else it came about lol.

-PB

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I have a non-politically correct question about refugees, sorry if it's a stupid question.

Mainly about refugees from Iraq/Syria.

There are large zones inside Syria & Iraq, that are untouched by war, the south of Iraq is essentially untouched by IS, and I know for a fact that these countries have large internally placed refugees, so why can't many of these refugees fleeing to war flee to a safer area in their own country, so that the west can take in people that are being actively targeted by their government based on their ethnicity religion etc like the Jews in the 1930s.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Iridium1010
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Iridium1010 - 31 Oct 2016 7:38 PM
I have a non-politically correct question about refugees, sorry if it's a stupid question.

There are large zones inside Syria & Iraq, that are untouched by war, the south of Iraq is essentially untouched by IS, and I know for a fact that these countries have large internally placed refugees, so why can't many of these refugees fleeing war flee to a safer area in their own country, so that the west can take in people that are being actively targeted by their government based on their ethnicity religion etc

Because scandanavia has hotter women and beer.

-PB

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

There are large zones inside Syria & Iraq, that are untouched by war, the south of Iraq is essentially untouched by IS, and I know for a fact that these countries have large internally placed refugees, so why can't many of these refugees fleeing to war flee to a safer area in their own country, so that the west can take in people that are being actively targeted by their government based on their ethnicity religion etc like the Jews in the 1930s.

Not a silly question actually.

Sectarian divides are part of it, at least in Iraq. The Southern areas are Shi'ite majority, and during the insurgency between 2003-10 militias of both sects fought each other, especially in Baghdad. Sunni Muslims don't want to go to the Shi'ite dominated areas because they fear discrimination and violence, especially since Saddam Hussein was a Sunni. 

You can see in the current assault on Mosul, the Shi'ite militias and the Kurdish fighters are being given very limited objectives because the Sunni-majority don't want to feel like it's a big takeover. 

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Lastbroadcast - 31 Oct 2016 10:59 PM

Not a silly question actually.

Sectarian divides are part of it, at least in Iraq. The Southern areas are Shi'ite majority, and during the insurgency between 2003-10 militias of both sects fought each other, especially in Baghdad. Sunni Muslims don't want to go to the Shi'ite dominated areas because they fear discrimination and violence, especially since Saddam Hussein was a Sunni. 

You can see in the current assault on Mosul, the Shi'ite militias and the Kurdish fighters are being given very limited objectives because the Sunni-majority don't want to feel like it's a big takeover. 

The thing is that many Sunni arab majority area's are liberated now, Many Assyrians and Arabs fled to Kurdish area's when ISIS took over Mosul and the Nineveh Plains, where they're still staying as internally displaced refugees, I'm sure the south must have locations that where people fleeing war can stay, I understand there's a fear of the shia militias, that fear is mostly when they're taking cities/towns though, Baghdad itself has lots of sunnis, it's not as if these Shia groups are massacring hundreds and hundreds of Sunnis.

We see refugees from Libya too, where the conflict is relatively low scale compared to Syria and Iraq,  and where the sectarian divide is very limited. I just feel that we should be giving resettlement to people that are going to be severely persecuted by their government based on their religion, race etc, eg kurds in Iraq in the 1980s/90s, Jews in Germany in the 1930s, Tutsi's from Rwanda in the 1980s, or the Iranians and South vietnemese targeted by their governments for their political beliefs in the 1970s.

It's like settling people from Eastern Ukraine into Australia when the majority of Ukraine is going on like normal.

Of course I don't blame the refugees for coming, if I had a choice between a refugee camp in Iraq or resettlement in Europe, I'd pick Europe too.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Iridium1010
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Glad Bob Day's finally gone, was getting a bit ridiculous. His replacement won't be any more agreeable to me but on principle he had to go.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

mcjules - 1 Nov 2016 12:16 PM
Glad Bob Day's finally gone, was getting a bit ridiculous. His replacement won't be any more agreeable to me but on principle he had to go.

Yup, circus galore.

Now we have this immigration legislation with no real information about it but we get the running commentary in the media about "Labour should fall in line, Shorten should get his troops in order" and the "Malcolm Turnbull is caving in to his right wing loonies" shit.

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 1 Nov 2016 12:34 PM
mcjules - 1 Nov 2016 12:16 PM

Yup, circus galore.

Now we have this immigration legislation with no real information about it but we get the running commentary in the media about "Labour should fall in line, Shorten should get his troops in order" and the "Malcolm Turnbull is caving in to his right wing loonies" shit.

-PB

Same shit different week.

Getting tired of the same old stories. This government has to actually do something or this will never go away.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

BETHFC - 1 Nov 2016 12:48 PM
paulbagzFC - 1 Nov 2016 12:34 PM

Same shit different week.

Getting tired of the same old stories. This government has to actually do something or this will never go away.

I'm bored of it too. It's all a distraction because they're actually incapable of doing anything.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

mcjules - 1 Nov 2016 12:56 PM
BETHFC - 1 Nov 2016 12:48 PM

I'm bored of it too. It's all a distraction because they're actually incapable of doing anything.

Bingo. I can't actually list a policy change they have implemented since taking power.

There is the whole ABCC thing to have a crack at the CFMEU which is just red tape and increases costs to build infrastructure. Its just stupid. The CFMEU need an arse kicking but this isn't it.

Other than that it's all been about stopping brown people taking our jobs.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

This Bob Day resignation has gotten a whole lot more interesting. So much dodgy shit. If he is disqualified and Family First votes are invalidated, Labor could win another seat.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

mcjules - 2 Nov 2016 11:09 AM
This Bob Day resignation has gotten a whole lot more interesting. So much dodgy shit. If he is disqualified and Family First votes are invalidated, Labor could win another seat.

Yep, got very spicey indeed. 

Malcolm will be sweating it if it goes to a recount lol

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Lol one gaff after another for this government.

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Why are these cross-bench senators going before the high court?

Is the implication for the government that Labor could win those seats and prevent a majority? What a fucking disaster if that happens. Labor will block things because they can to show how inept the government is when the real loser will be us plebs who just want the government to govern.

I can't recall politics ever reaching this level of petty before?
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

BETHFC - 3 Nov 2016 9:12 AM

Is the implication for the government that Labor could win those seats and prevent a majority? What a fucking disaster if that happens. Labor will block things because they can to show how inept the government is when the real loser will be us plebs who just want the government to govern.

Agreed. The Senate is a joke. Idiots and clowns litter the crossbench. This is what happens when you allow states like Tasmania and South Australia to elect the same amount of Senators as NSW and Victoria.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Ok, so I completed a mock Senate if with had a proportionate voting system and it is slightly different from the current Senate but it would be a more workable Senate than what we currently have.
  NSW VIC QLD WA SA TAS ACT/NT Revised Total Actual Total NSW VIC QLD WA SA TAS ACT NT
Total 25 19 15 7 6 2 2 76 76 12 12 12 12 12 12 2 2
Liberal & Nationals 10 8 6 3 2 1 1 31 30 5 5 5 5 4 4 1 1
Labor 9 7 5 3 2 1 1 28 26 4 4 4 4 3 5 1 1
The Greens 2 2 1 1 - - - 6 9 1 2 1 2 1 2 - -
Pauline Hanson's One Nation 1 - 2 - - - - 3 4 1 - 2 1 - - - -
Liberal Democrats 1 - 1 - - - - 2 1 1 - - - - - - -
Nick Xenophon Team - - - - 2 - - 2 3 - - - - 3 - - -
Derryn Hinch's Justice Party - 2 - - - - - 2 1 - 1 - - - - - -
Christian Democratic Party 1 - - - - - - 1 0 - - - - - - - -
Shooters, Fishers and Farmers 1 - - - - - - 1 0 - - - - - - - -
Family First - - - - - - - - 1 - - - - 1 - - -
Jacquie Lambie - - - - - - - - 1 - - - - - 1 - -

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

There were some dodgy dealings about the Commonwealth money Bob was getting for his office. Something like his company owned it so he sold it to someone before moving in but he guaranteed the loan.

Labor won't have a majority even if they get the seat. It doesn't change thing an awful lot in terms of the numbers. It's still a situation of Greens + Labor + Xenophon to block but I guess there could be some Greens + Labor + 1 less of the other cross benchers.

As to proportionate representation, never going to happen and it's laughable that anyone can blame SA or Tas for the idiot and clown senators when Qld & NSW have one nation senators and NSW have Leyonhjelm. Blame the DD election that was called for dumb reasons (and spectacularly backfired)

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

mcjules - 3 Nov 2016 11:54 AM

There were some dodgy dealings about the Commonwealth money Bob was getting for his office. Something like his company owned it so he sold it to someone before moving in but he guaranteed the loan.

Labor won't have a majority even if they get the seat. It doesn't change thing an awful lot in terms of the numbers. It's still a situation of Greens + Labor + Xenophon to block but I guess there could be some Greens + Labor + 1 less of the other cross benchers.

As to proportionate representation, never going to happen and it's laughable that anyone can blame SA or Tas for the idiot and clown senators when Qld & NSW have one nation senators and NSW have Leyonhjelm. Blame the DD election that was called for dumb reasons (and spectacularly backfired)

If you think it's laughable to have a Senate that more accurately reflects the Australian public, then I would suggest there might be something wrong with you. I do not think making changes to the way the Senate is elected is out of the question. After all, we did make changes before the last election was held.

I pointed out Tas and SA as the required number of votes needed to be elected to a Senate seat is small and ripe for manipulation. Xenophon gets 3 Senate seats with 230,000 (77,000 votes per seat) votes and The Greens get 2 with 37,000 (18,500 votes per seat) vote whilst Liberal Democrats barely scrape though getting 1 seat with 140,000 votes and The Christian Democrats get no seats for their 120,000 votes (not that I'm disappointed about that).

You might think the current system is fine because your Lefty friends aren't in power and being right is more important to you than doing what is right. 

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

vanlassen - 3 Nov 2016 1:27 PM
If you think it's laughable to have a Senate that more accurately reflects the Australian public, then I would suggest there might be something wrong with you. I do not think making changes to the way the Senate is elected is out of the question. After all, we did make changes before the last election was held.
I don't think that's laughable, I think blaming clowns being voted in on the smaller states is laughable. Changing the senate make up would be a constitutional change that would require people in SA and Tasmania agreeing to it. That will never happen.

I pointed out Tas and SA as the required number of votes needed to be elected to a Senate seat is small and ripe for manipulation. Xenophon gets 3 Senate seats with 230,000 (77,000 votes per seat) votes and The Greens get 2 with 37,000 (18,500 votes per seat) vote whilst Liberal Democrats barely scrape though getting 1 seat with 140,000 votes and The Christian Democrats get no seats for their 120,000 votes (not that I'm disappointed about that).

You might think the current system is fine because your Lefty friends aren't in power and being right is more important to you than doing what is right. 
We're a federation of states, and that's why it's structured as it is. I have no issues with the system and it has nothing to do with who is in power at any particular time. If anything, most of the loons in the senate are miles away from my political point of view so it's a bit of a bizarre accusation.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules - 3 Nov 2016 1:44 PM
vanlassen - 3 Nov 2016 1:27 PM

Voting in greens and their flakey policies as well as Pauline and her anti islam agenda is pretty pointless.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

BETHFC - 3 Nov 2016 1:51 PM
mcjules - 3 Nov 2016 1:44 PM

Voting in greens and their flakey policies as well as Pauline and her anti islam agenda is pretty pointless.

As you can see with Pauline, it actually does influence the major parties' policies (for better or worse) so it's not really pointless.

On a semi-related note, I'm expecting my ballot paper soon for an Italian referendum which is looking to reform their senate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_constitutional_referendum,_2016
Van Lassen would definitely support it based on his arguments here.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules - 3 Nov 2016 2:38 PM

As you can see with Pauline, it actually does influence the major parties' policies (for better or worse) so it's not really pointless.

On a semi-related note, I'm expecting my ballot paper soon for an Italian referendum which is looking to reform their senate.

By pointless I was referring to dodgy deals required to get the support of minor parties. The majors are forced to deal with lunatics to get policies through.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

mcjules - 3 Nov 2016 2:38 PM

I'm fairly indifferent to politics outside of Australia but...you are probably right about my opinion on the matter.

Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

CapitalFootball
CapitalFootball
Weekender
Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)

Classic!!
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

David Shoebridge, what a total wanker.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

ABCC passed 36 to 33.

Seems to be a lot of anger out there for Xenophon.

-PB

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

paulbagzFC - 1 Dec 2016 1:24 PM
ABCC passed 36 to 33.

Seems to be a lot of anger out there for Xenophon.

-PB

The bill was watered down a fair bit, still think it's a waste of time but at least the parliament is working. Think the concessions Xenophon got weren't that great but oh well.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search