The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
vanlassen - 24 Feb 2017 12:04 PM
BETHFC - 23 Feb 2017 5:27 PM

I don't think it will matter to the average voter but this is not a government decision. The FWC are independent and do not consult the government before making decisions.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/industrial-relations/abetz-accused-of-restacking-fair-work-ahead-of-his-cabinet-dumping-20150917-gjoysn

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

jlm8695 - 24 Feb 2017 12:05 PM
@pv4, Wish we had that type of accountability in our office, plenty of people regularly rocking up at 9:05, 9:10, grabbing a coffee, making some breakfast and and then starting their day. 

Frustrating af when I'm the one opening up the office in the morning and managing to start at the time we're meant to. 

And who knows, give it a couple more years and potentially you will become as seemingly complacent/non-caring/etc. I hope if you don't, and stick to being a good worker, that you are rewarded for it m9
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

@pv4, Wish we had that type of accountability in our office, plenty of people regularly rocking up at 9:05, 9:10, grabbing a coffee, making some breakfast and and then starting their day. 

Frustrating af when I'm the one opening up the office in the morning and managing to start at the time we're meant to. 

What industry do you work in? A lot of office jobs, unless you're dealing directly with clients, wouldn't give a shit if someone turns up even 30 minutes late as long as they're doing their work.

Edited
7 Years Ago by mcjules
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Fool ;)
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 12:12 PM

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/industrial-relations/abetz-accused-of-restacking-fair-work-ahead-of-his-cabinet-dumping-20150917-gjoysn

I know. I read the article. The FWC also have representatives from the Labor party who were crucial in making the decision yesterday..

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Big shake up in QLD state electoral boundaries.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

pv4
pv4
Legend

paulbagzFC - 24 Feb 2017 12:35 PM
Big shake up in QLD state electoral boundaries.

-PB

My first reaction was "yall are harbouring Pauline Hanson, you brought this shit on yourselves" :lol:
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

BETHFC - 23 Feb 2017 5:27 PM

In saying that, I think this is a great outcome and the FWC has taken too long (3 years) to come to this decision. One of the big issues facing a lot of families in retail and hospitality is underemployment and this decision by the FWC will go someway to helping reduce the rate of underemployment.
When my wife and I were saving for our wedding, she struggled to get enough hours to work. She worked in retail and would basically get 1 or 2 days unless someone called in sick. On Sunday, the store she was at would close at 3pm and so would most of the shops in the area.
Sydney city is basically a ghost town on public holidays and Sunday. I'm looking forward to my favourite Brewery being open on my birthday next year which falls on the Easter long week end.

Wow, do you honestly think cutting penalty rates is going to suddenly make more people go out shopping? The store and all the others close in that area early due to no foot traffic and this decision isn't going to effect that. 

In terms of underemployment this decision will most likely make things worse, anyone who works a Sunday shift will be down a good $50 to $80 so they'll have to pick up an extra shift each week which in some cases won't be possible. 

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

vanlassen - 24 Feb 2017 12:34 PM
mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 12:12 PM

I know. I read the article. The FWC also have representatives from the Labor party who were crucial in making the decision yesterday..

You've seen who voted for what? I've looked but I've yet to find any info on that. The fact that FWC has Labor appointed commission doesn't negate the fact that it's stacked.

Edited
7 Years Ago by mcjules
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 12:47 PM

You've seen who voted for what? I've looked but I've yet to find any info on that. The fact that FWC has Labor appointed commission doesn't negate the fact that it's stacked.

I've being trying to find information regarding how the decision has been made. The best I've been able to learn was from a ten minute segment on Triple 's hack last night. They had a representative from the FWC talk about what went in to making the decision and the considerations made. Basically, what was said was that the decision was made after receiving submissions from small businesses, workers groups, unions etc and interviews conducted over a 3 year period. The information/booklet regarding the decision is over 500 pages long and the decision was made from various people of different political backgrounds.
From what I understood from the show was that the decision was agreed upon by both Labor and Liberal representative.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

I just read that 4 of the 5 panel members on the commission were appointed by the previous Labor government.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

vanlassen - 24 Feb 2017 1:12 PM

I just read that 4 of the 5 panel members on the commission were appointed by the previous Labor government.

Read a similar thing here though it was a quote from Trumble so...
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/02/24/labor-never-intended-wages-be-cut
It was good to see Dreyfus come out and admit they stuffed up with the rules. Admitting fault isn't something that the current government ever do.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 1:23 PM

It was good to see Dreyfus come out and admit they stuffed up with the rules. Admitting fault isn't something that the current government ever do.

Why would Labor set up the FWC if they didn't think they would make any changes? Labor literally appointed members of their own party for the FWC who just made the decision to cut penalty rates.

There are two ways to look at your quote.
 1. Labor do not understand how to govern a country as they do not understand the ramifications of the decisions they make i.e. setting up an independent FWC.
 2. Dreyfus is a liar.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

vanlassen - 24 Feb 2017 2:04 PM

Why would Labor set up the FWC if they didn't think they would make any changes? Labor literally appointed members of their own party for the FWC who just made the decision to cut penalty rates.

There are two ways to look at your quote.
 1. Labor do not understand how to govern a country as they do not understand the ramifications of the decisions they make i.e. setting up an independent FWC.
 2. Dreyfus is a liar.

They set it up for the same reason the LNP are trying to use it, have decisions appear to come from a body that's "independent" so that they wouldn't take any blame. They just didn't anticipate this outcome.

Plenty of evidence that the LNP have no clear how to govern a country :laugh:

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Geez Louise McJules.

Dreyfus absolutely embarrassed himself on AM this morning. It was beyond farce and something writers of Yes Minister couldn't come up with in their wildest dreams.

Sabra Lane asked him time and again 'but you set the commission up'.  Dreyfus answers were along the lines of we never wanted to get this result and the rules are wrong.

Dreyfus, with a straight face, prosecuted an argument that basically said because the Labour party didn't get the result they wanted they needed to change the rules.  With absolutely no shame either.  Not one iota of embarrassment.

But don't take my word for it listen to it here. http://www.abc.net.au/am/  (Second story down.)

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/audio/am/201702/20170224-am02-dreyfus.mp3

What a joke. Arguments about pay rates aside Bill Shorten stood up before the last election and said no matter what the Labour party would abide by the commission's finding even if they decided to cut penalty rates.

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 24 Feb 2017 2:30 PM

Geez Louise McJules.

Dreyfus absolutely embarrassed himself on AM this morning. It was beyond farce and something writers of Yes Minister couldn't come up with in their wildest dreams.

Sabra Lane asked him time and again'but you set the commission up'. Dreyfus answers were along the lines of we never wanted to get this results and the rules are wrong.

What a joke. Arguments about pay rates aside Bill Shorten stood up before the last election and said no matter what the Labour party would abide by the commission's finding even if they decided to cut penalty rates.

Dreyfus, with a straight face, prosecuted an argument that basically said because the Labour party didn't get the result they wanted they needed to change the rules.  With absolutely no shame either.  Not one iota of embarrassment.

But don't take my word for it listen to it here. http://www.abc.net.au/am/  (Second story down.)

They never said they didn't set it up. They fucked up and admitted so. That's all.

I don't think it's good, and I don't think the independent commission was a good idea in the first place. I just said that it's better than the LNP who don't take ownership for anything.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol if you didn't want the commission to have that kind of ability, well you shouldn't have given them the power lol.

-PB

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

paulbagzFC - 24 Feb 2017 2:54 PM
lol if you didn't want the commission to have that kind of ability, well you shouldn't have given them the power lol.

-PB

Agreed.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

There are 2 sides of this coin.

My moral side tells me that I am against the cuts because it hits low income workers and our young. Point number 1.

However, the irony is that years ago, these penalty cuts were already awarded but for workers working for the biggest corporates and multi-nationals - Coles, Woolworths, McDonald's etc etc. 

So the FWC has made a decision to bring everyone in line with that. Make the playing field between big business and small business EQUAL. 

If you ask me, all penalty rates should go back to 200% on Sundays, but that should apply to Coles, Woolworths, McDonalds too not just to small cafes and take away shops which can least afford to stay open even. 

So, either:
1) 200% penalty rates for all, or
2) 150% for all.

NOT, 200% for small business and 150% for big corporations. That would be not fair. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

mouflonrouge - 24 Feb 2017 5:25 PM
There are 2 sides of this coin.

My moral side tells me that I am against the cuts because it hits low income workers and our young. Point number 1.

However, the irony is that years ago, these penalty cuts were already awarded but for workers working for the biggest corporates and multi-nationals - Coles, Woolworths, McDonald's etc etc. 

So the FWC has made a decision to bring everyone in line with that. Make the playing field between big business and small business EQUAL. 

If you ask me, all penalty rates should go back to 200% on Sundays, but that should apply to Coles, Woolworths, McDonalds too not just to small cafes and take away shops which can least afford to stay open even. 

So, either:
1) 200% penalty rates for all, or
2) 150% for all.

NOT, 200% for small business and 150% for big corporations. That would be not fair. 

Not that simple, in theory, the EBA's the bigger companies have negotiated have a higher regular rate in exchange for lower penalty rates. Now the SDA was involved so who knows if the workers were actually better off but that's the principle that was applied.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 7:08 PM
mouflonrouge - 24 Feb 2017 5:25 PM

Not that simple, in theory, the EBA's the bigger companies have negotiated have a higher regular rate in exchange for lower penalty rates. Now the SDA was involved so who knows if the workers were actually better off but that's the principle that was applied.

OK. So the big corporates pay a higher hourly rate in exchange for the 150%. Sounds fair.

then why not apply the same rules to small business? if they want 150% on Sundays, then pay a higher rate during the rest of the week. 
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Across all media the 'losing family time' argument annoys me. Like ffs half of them are at uni, chances are you need to work Sunday because you can't work during the week. I know I did.

I'd have really struggled during uni if I couldn't work a Sunday and had to pick up a shift during the week. I worked at Subway an was paid normal award rate for it, I only ever received double time on public holidays from memory.

I'm not against penalty rates as I said further up and I don't like the decision, but some of the arguments against cutting penalty rates are borderline entitled, a word reserved for people who are well to do right? :laugh:

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 24 Feb 2017 8:32 PM
mcjules - 24 Feb 2017 7:08 PM

OK. So the big corporates pay a higher hourly rate in exchange for the 150%. Sounds fair.

then why not apply the same rules to small business? if they want 150% on Sundays, then pay a higher rate during the rest of the week. 

Or don't open Sunday's and the workers will really have something to complain about (sarcasm).

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Mal down in the newspollz lol.

Surely he won't see out the full term.

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

BETHFC - 27 Feb 2017 11:07 AM
mouflonrouge - 24 Feb 2017 8:32 PM

Or don't open Sunday's and the workers will really have something to complain about (sarcasm).

That would have to be a business decision made by each individual business.

some businesses find that employing others is too much of a hassle - too much red tape, expense and also the quality of worker out there with all the bad attitude. others just simply can't afford to open and pay 200%

What's important is a level playing field for everyone, not one set of rules for huge companies and another for the tiny micro-business cafe or take-away shop owner. 

I'm all for 150% but why not raise the rate so that workers aren't really disadvantaged from losing their Double Pay on Sundays? 

But I do see you point about workers. Everyone has a whinge and there is a big Elephant in the room. For instance, if company tax rates are reduced (tin foil hat on) then what will be the affect of that for workers? 
Edited
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mouflonrouge - 27 Feb 2017 2:47 PM
BETHFC - 27 Feb 2017 11:07 AM

That would have to be a business decision made by each individual business.

some businesses find that employing others is too much of a hassle - too much red tape, expense and also the quality of worker out there with all the bad attitude. others just simply can't afford to open and pay 200%

What's important is a level playing field for everyone, not one set of rules for huge companies and another for the tiny micro-business cafe or take-away shop owner. 

I'm all for 150% but why not raise the rate so that workers aren't really disadvantaged from losing their Double Pay on Sundays? 

But I do see you point about workers. Everyone has a whinge and there is a big Elephant in the room. For instance, if company tax rates are reduced (tin foil hat on) then what will be the affect of that for workers? 

I work for what you'd probably call a small to medium size consultancy firm. The biggest killer tax wise for us is payroll tax. To pay it, we basically work 2-3 months of the year for no profit.

I'm all for penalty rates as well but people need to be reasonable. Ask anyone who owns a small business and wages are one of the biggest costs.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

BETHFC - 27 Feb 2017 3:02 PM
mouflonrouge - 27 Feb 2017 2:47 PM

I work for what you'd probably call a small to medium size consultancy firm. The biggest killer tax wise for us is payroll tax. To pay it, we basically work 2-3 months of the year for no profit.

2 or 3 months ! ! Farking hell.  You need to inform yourself at least once in a while.

In Qld the rate is 4.75%.  https://www.business.qld.gov.au/running-business/employing/payroll-tax/calculating/thresholds 

Based on a 52 week year that equates to 2.5 weeks.  

You're only out by a factor of somewhere between 320% and 480%.

Bloody Gen Y's, they've 'graduated' with Mickey Mouse degrees, a poor work ethic, an inability to conduct basic research, lack critical thinking skills and don't even possess a fundamental grasp of mathematics.  (At least 'millenials' can use the interwebz.) 

It's no wonder people like Pauline Hanson, Malcolm Roberts, Trump, Corey Bernadi et al managed to get elected when people swallow any old garbage,  99% of which could be rebutted with a modicum of effort, they hear in a conversation with an uninformed pillock. 

For the record Payroll Tax is an absolute farce that needs to go.  And in fact was supposed to go, along with stamp duty, with the introduction of the GST. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 27 Feb 2017 6:00 PM

2 or 3 months ! ! Farking hell.  You need to inform yourself at least once in a while.

In Qld the rate is 4.75%.  https://www.business.qld.gov.au/running-business/employing/payroll-tax/calculating/thresholds 

Bloody Gen Y's, they've 'graduated' with Mickey Mouse degrees, a poor work ethic, an inability to conduct basic research, lack critical thinking skills and don't even possess a fundamental grasp of mathematics.  (At least 'millenials' can use the interwebz.) 

It's no wonder people like Pauline Hanson, Malcolm Roberts, Trump, Corey Bernadi et al managed to get elected when people swallow any old garbage,  99% of which could be rebutted with a modicum of effort, they hear in a conversation with an uninformed pillock. 

For the record Payroll Tax is an absolute farce that needs to go.  And in fact was supposed to go, along with stamp duty, with the introduction of the GST. 

As you millenials get older and wiser, you will be the first to vote for Hanson and Corey Bernardi!

Start stomping your feet because the revolution is coming. 

You're just a future conservative voter in the making, just in need of direction and moulding and then the time will come when you will be complaining about the generation or 2 that come after. lol

One day you will all learn that this Labor/Liberal farce is just a farce. 

Edited
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

I assumed whoever told him that factored in other things like Work Cover. Either way I'd be highly dubious if my employer told me something like that.

And yeah it should have gone. Really though the states relying on the feds to fund the services they manage is flawed. At the very least I reckon they should give health to the feds to manage.

Muz
Muz
Legend

mouflonrouge - 27 Feb 2017 7:36 PM

As you millenials get older and wiser, you will be the first to vote for Hanson and Corey Bernardi!

Start stomping your feet because the revolution is coming. 

You're just a future conservative voter in the making, just in need of direction and moulding and then the time will come when you will be complaining about the generation or 2 that come after. lol

One day you will all learn that this Labor/Liberal farce is just a farce. 

You clown. 

You are so off you're embarrassing yourself.

'Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt.'

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search