Could Central Coast be classed as THE 3RD SYDNEY TEAM?

Could Central Coast be classed as THE 3RD SYDNEY TEAM?

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paladisious wrote:
Quote:

82m for the width of the pitch, 12m for railway side grandstand, 20m for Cheltenham Rd side grandstand, a space for toilets and then about 10-15 metres all around for the external concourse plus there is then landscaping requirements and mandatory off street parking for Broadcast Vans/team coaches/official cars/media and council requirements for off street fan parking etc etc. 240m x 180m is a nice size for initial planning purposes but you can squeeze them in less especially if they are in an existing park.

Yes I do understand that, but those examples I've mentioned have done it all with bigger stadiums in smaller spaces.

Funny, now you mention it, Bob Jane and Craven Cottage are on almost the exact same angle as this theoretic stadium.

Hindmarsh is 140m wide from back of stand to back of stand then you have to add the off street stuff that I mentioned including the external concourse. Similarly with the old Bob Jane ground which was around 135m wide. The external concourse around the ground is essential in site needs calculations because you have to be able to disperse the total capacity to evacuation zones in about 7 or 8 minutes.

Old overseas stadiums are useless for comparison because they wouldn't go anywhere near meeting planning requirements for a new build here.

Ground orientation is not set by FIFA but best practice has it slightly West of North.

If you are really interested in playing around with this stuff there are some good online resources. First one is the FIFA Technical Requirements book that you can find on the part of their site that deals with Brazil2014 and Stadia - A Design and Development Guide which is on the link below.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13320073/Stadia-A-Design-and-Development-Guide

Edited by gyfox: 29/12/2012 10:10:49 PM
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschauer/aus-a-league-1993-1994/1/

Wollongongs crowds barely went over 5k and were mostly around 2-3k. Northern Spirits crowds were quite good though?
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
4wanderer4 wrote:
I've never been to Melbourne

Well I suggest you come down for Australia Day and see a real crowd ;)

Already in motion my good sir. Care to lend me some accomadation? It's damn expensive because of the Open :(
cardiff10
cardiff10
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

No, they're based in gosford and gosford is not part of sydney. Sure, they can take fans from the sydney area, but even the Jets have fans making the trip up from sydney for every home game.
go you yellow
go you yellow
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

cardiff10 wrote:
No, they're based in gosford and gosford is not part of sydney. Sure, they can take fans from the sydney area, but even the Jets have fans making the trip up from sydney for every home game.

Good point , Central Coast is not part of Sydney . Sydney and Newcastle are the 2nd and third Central Coast teams.

ARNIE = LEGEND !
australiantibullus
australiantibullus
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

macktheknife wrote:
williamn wrote:
Boban wrote:
macktheknife wrote:
Penrith WTF- that is WSW territory
Wollongong That is in my list
Tasmania Maybe - but I can't remember any Tassie footballers ever playing for Oz
Canberra That is in my list
2nd Brisbane I don't reckon the city is big enough
2nd Adelaide Same as Brisbane
Regional Victorian (ie non-Melbourne).
North Queensland if the rebadged Fury stick and twist in the APL.

I reckon 14 is more realistic than 16. 14 teams would give us 26 rounds and perfect as far as season length and fair draws are concerned.

i cant see two teams playing out of suncorp or one at ballymore, one at suncorp working. neither having two teams at hindmarsh or one at hindmarsh and one at adelaide oval.

If cities with 2.15 million (Brisbane), 1.8 million (Perth) and 1.2 million (Adelaide) can't support a second team in the future (ie from the TV deal after this one that just got signed), then how is putting teams in cities with 250k-150k people any better?

Is that what the league is going to end up as? A handful of big city teams with supporter bases numbering in the millions, while everyone else in the league struggle with low support bases and for basic profitability the same way CCM have, even when CCM have been so successful on the pitch?

We can't ignore regional areas, but we can't ignore second and third teams in big cities. Especially on the East Coast where the majority of TV ratings come from.

As for Penrith, while it is nominally "Western Sydney" it has enough of an identity as it's own region that it should be a viable proposition for the 3rd Sydney team.

No matter where you put a 3rd team in Sydney you'll be cannibalising either WSW (Blacktown, Penrith, Campbelltown being the major choices people want for a 3rd team) or Sydney FC (Sutherland), unless you put it at Manly, which would be a massive risk.

So what is the Identity that Penrith has that is so different than Blacktown/Parramatta? (And try to be flattering to Penrith here) How will West Sydney look with one fifth of their fans gone? (Meh) Or how will Penrith look with one fifth of West Sydney fans trying to get behind the team.

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
North Northern Spirit Mk 2 :)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Aussie4ever4 wrote:

Wollongongs crowds barely went over 5k and were mostly around 2-3k. Northern Spirits crowds were quite good though?

Weird, that site only counts one game per club except for the strikers for that season, but all games for other seasons.

Seems Woolongong averaged around 5k often later on, 5,567 in 97/98. Glory and Northern Spirit were averaging 14k at around that time. :shock:
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
Aussie4ever4 wrote:

Weird, that site only counts one game per club except for the strikers for that season, but all games for other seasons.

Seems Woolongong averaged around 5k often later on, 5,567 in 97/98. Glory and Northern Spirit were averaging 14k at around that time. :shock:

Ozfoootball has the stats but they aren't all added up. I wander how many northern spirit supporters now follow Sydney FC
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

@ mack - Dominic Longo played in the '94 WC qualifiers. (From Tassie)
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Aussie4ever4 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Aussie4ever4 wrote:

Ozfoootball has the stats but they aren't all added up. I wander how many northern spirit supporters now follow Sydney FC

Not many that I know being an ex Spirit supporter.
Most north shore line/northern beachs people couldn't be bothered going over the bridge for entertainment (unless they have to) excl me :lol: having moved to Gladesville a while back going to the SFS is easy for me.
Ah the glory Spirit days at Nth Syd oval, perfect TBH, large crowds the early days, Percy's pub just across the road for pre drinks/dinner b4 KOFF had an awesum atmosphere.

I'd say most of those Spirit supporters have just stuck by watching their local Park football with the odd venture to a SFC game.

Some of my footballing mates get to SFC games but not as often as I would.

Love Football

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Thanks M.I:)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
M.L. wrote:
Aussie4ever4 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Aussie4ever4 wrote:

Not many that I know being an ex Spirit supporter.
Most north shore line/northern beachs people couldn't be bothered going over the bridge for entertainment (unless they have to) excl me :lol: having moved to Gladesville a while back going to the SFS is easy for me.
Ah the glory Spirit days at Nth Syd oval, perfect TBH, large crowds the early days, Percy's pub just across the road for pre drinks/dinner b4 KOFF had an awesum atmosphere.

I'd say most of those Spirit supporters have just stuck by watching their local Park football with the odd venture to a SFC game.

Some of my footballing mates get to SFC games but not as often as I would.

That's as close to answering OP's question as we're gonna get! :lol:
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search