The Official University/Education Thread

The Official University/Education Thread

Author
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
farked up a quiz yesterday. seems like everyone did.

couple that with the fact that 2 of my 5 assignments, the tutor hasn't marked because he reckons they weren't in the pile of assignments he picked up. fark
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Had a group assignment the other week which included a PowerPoint presentation and a report. We also had to hand in a peer assessment form, where we had to put how much effort/percentage of the presentation everyone did. One guy decides "we'll all put 33.3%, 33.3%, 33.3%, just so it's all fair. The other person and I agree. When we submit it, I find out the guy that suggested it gave himself and the other person 40%, and me 20%, meaning that my mark would be lower than theirs. Why he had a change of heart I don't know.

Anyway, got into the class yesterday and our group got our marks back. Turns out, in our whole report, I was the only one who had in text referencing, no mistakes and no incorrect information, and had it not been for my part, we wouldn't have passed. Tutor then tells me because of that he isn't gonna give me less marks.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
StreetzFC wrote:
Had a group assignment the other week which included a PowerPoint presentation and a report. We also had to hand in a peer assessment form, where we had to put how much effort/percentage of the presentation everyone did. One guy decides "we'll all put 33.3%, 33.3%, 33.3%, just so it's all fair. The other person and I agree. When we submit it, I find out the guy that suggested it gave himself and the other person 40%, and me 20%, meaning that my mark would be lower than theirs. Why he had a change of heart I don't know.

Anyway, got into the class yesterday and our group got our marks back. Turns out, in our whole report, I was the only one who had in text referencing, no mistakes and no incorrect information, and had it not been for my part, we wouldn't have passed. Tutor then tells me because of that he isn't gonna give me less marks.

gawd, business teachers & students at UoN are freaking unbelievable. in engineering when we have to do that peer review thing, our teachers just look for obvious disparities in scores (like everyone giving some guy 0%) and alter the marks based off that. if there's a difference in 10-20% for people and it's not a common trend, they just assume it's a personality clash more than anything and everyone gets the same anyway. usually, if someone isn't pulling their weight, a group member will approach/email their teacher in advance and let them know. then, when peer review time comes around, they've gotten the heads up on them. i didn't think any teacher would take a 40/40/20 as opposed to a 33/33/33 assessment so seriously tbh. get real ffs, business people!

i've even heard business teachers won't respond to emails from students that aren't sending from their @uon account. what bs! my @uon account would never let me send from my old iphone, and i've never had any issues with any engineering teacher getting back to me on my gmail account. business classes, although a tonne easier than engineering ones, piss me off to no end.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I've had someone do that to me before. I had thought I'd be nice and they'd repay me back for it later when I needed help with something. They wrote that I didn't turn up to meetings and such when I went to all of them and wrote virtually the whole assignment and presentation because they failed to turn up. Lucky for me the email record of the assignment was me sending everyone updates on the assignment and organising meetings not the other way around. That was the last time I trusted anyone to hand in my work without my supervision.

I hated group assignments when you'd split it up into different sections. You would always have one guy who claimed he didn't know how to do his section so you explain the basics of it to him. Then when you look at the assignment he's just copied and pasted exactly what you've said, not even bothered to change the wording or expand upon it.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

pv4 wrote:

i've even heard business teachers won't respond to emails from students that aren't sending from their @uon account. what bs! my @uon account would never let me send from my old iphone, and i've never had any issues with any engineering teacher getting back to me on my gmail account. business classes, although a tonne easier than engineering ones, piss me off to no end.

I had a lecturer for several subjects that wouldn't respond to any emails so you had to ring him. Most of the time he didn't answer or he'd say he's too busy. You go to his office to ask him your question but he's too busy with his feet up on the desk, doing the crossword in the newspaper and tells you to email or ring him to get an appointment. Every year he gets slammed by students in the teacher assessments but nothing ever gets done.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Heineken wrote:
Currently ~800 words into a 2,500 word assignment on honour related violence. I'm probably going to fail the unit. I really can't be fucked with this assignment. The units a cunt.

Being a football fan you should be able to fart that out in a night.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Holidays time!!!

Anyone going away with uni mates?
notatroll
notatroll
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Going skiing ! Yipee!

Can't wait, but I'll have to bring my books as next semester I have to start Psychology and I lack the required knowledge. :/
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

chillbilly wrote:
pv4 wrote:

I had a lecturer for several subjects that wouldn't respond to any emails so you had to ring him. Most of the time he didn't answer or he'd say he's too busy. You go to his office to ask him your question but he's too busy with his feet up on the desk, doing the crossword in the newspaper and tells you to email or ring him to get an appointment. Every year he gets slammed by students in the teacher assessments but nothing ever gets done.

Send a strongly worded email to the head of the department and he will get pulled up.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I should be studying right now.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Everyone happy with their tut rego?

I was a bit disappointed, as I missed out on one class that I wanted and had to move it to another day, which in turn took up my only break in a 6 hour day. I also have to go out to Penriff 1 day per week.

All things considered,I've got 4 subjects across 3 days, which isn't too bad.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

I do mine tomorrow morning at 11.30am.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

UWS servers are so fuckin shit. Had to pick a tute and a lecture before and couldn't even get the tute I wanted. Have to pick another two subjects in four minutes, nervous as.

Edited by BRFC_92: 18/7/2013 03:27:15 PM
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Three days a week at uni, come at me. Earliest start is 10 o'clock as well. Hallelujah.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Decided to drop down to two classes this semester. It was just to stressful doing four. Hated being swamped with so many exams/assignments at once. Very average times once again. :lol:
Shaker
Shaker
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Enrolling is such a bitch
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

Forgot about this thread. Got my results last week. Got a credit in marketing and a pass in microeconomics, legal and a solid 50 in irhr :lol:
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Failed marketing (didn't pass the exam), Pass in Business academic skills and Contemporary society, credit in Texts and Traditions.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

I got 2 credits and a fail for last semester. Surprised myself. Thought I'd fail two units.

Heineken
Heineken
Legend

BRFC_92 wrote:
UWS servers are so fuckin shit. Had to pick a tute and a lecture before and couldn't even get the tute I wanted. Have to pick another two subjects in four minutes, nervous as.

Fucking Oath. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning. My internet is shithouse too. Can see me getting bitchtits for tutorial times.

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Managed to get a distinction in Org & Staging the 2018 Games, credits in Legal issues and Sport business environments. A pass in Sport Facility & Planning. I've been slowly slipping in my course I now average a credit. Hopefully I can get it back up by lessening my load.

How did you end up going KC?
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Benjo wrote:
Three days a week at uni, come at me. Earliest start is 10 o'clock as well. Hallelujah.

Srs? I have more than one class every single day, and have three 8am starts.

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
How did you end up going KC?

Eugh, failed physics (though I can take part 2 of the course this semester), passed the rest. Cheers for asking though, sounds like you're doing pretty well!!

Is it fail, pass, credit and distinction for the possible marks that you guys can get? We use letter grades over here.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

I don't know about the other uni's but there are also:
pass supplementary - miss the exam or fail but allowed to take a supplementary assessment because either you had extenuating circumstances or you failed the exam but your total mark for the subject was greater than 50%
technical fail - when your total mark would have passed the subject but you fail the final assessment
pass conceded - >45% allowed no more than 3 in your total subject marks
pass restricted - >45% but subject doesn't allow pass conceded because it is seen as too important
high distinction - >85%

plus a whole lot more technical ones that are degree specific.

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Anyway good job KC I know you were really struggling at one point.

Edited by Roar_Brisbane: 19/7/2013 12:16:37 AM
BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
Failed marketing (didn't pass the exam), Pass in Business academic skills and Contemporary society, credit in Texts and Traditions.

Marketing exam was easy as I thought. BAS is a massive fuck around of a subject. Got a credit for it when I did it.
BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro

Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Fucking Oath. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning. My internet is shithouse too. Can see me getting bitchtits for tutorial times.

Yesterday afternoon they reached capacity, signed me out and fucked me around so bad. UWS is a joke honestly.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend

BRFC_92 wrote:
Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Yesterday afternoon they reached capacity, signed me out and fucked me around so bad. UWS is a joke honestly.

Worst university in the country by far.

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro

Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Worst university in the country by far.

Primary schools are run more efficiently than the joke that is UWS.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend

Fuck, that was a close call. Just enrolled for this semester. Pretty much got what I wanted. Was touch and go at first, the classic UWS servers did their best to slow me the fuck down.

Looks like I'm going to be there 3 days. Monday, Wednesday & Thursday. I can handle that, I think. :lol:. Got Fridays off which is always good, but I've got a class at 9am on both Monday and Wednesday. Getting up 6am on Mondays isn't going to be pretty. :lol: #firstworldproblems. :lol:

Shaker
Shaker
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

So far i have 2 8.30 starts, doesnt affect me as much seeing as i live on Campus. Trying to enrol in both Sports Biomechanics and Player Analysis but taking forever. Driving me up the wall.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search