Religion

Religion

Author
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'd say more harm than good (far more actually). But I've debated that to death in this thread.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

IMO, I'm not sure thats "religions" fault. I think thats people taking things the wrong way, their beliefs the wrong way, and in the end, just human nature.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Don't blame religion. It doesn't say in the bible to kill all the pagans and start a crusade. Its misinterpretation and extremists who take the messages in religious texts literally and to the utmost extreme.

Those wars are an excuse, not the reason imo.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

...And this is the word of our Lord

Amen.

Now shut this fucking thread down!
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Is boring and unproductive... did I not mention that before? :-k

:idea: How about another debate of similar ilk: Climate Change? :lol:
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

After you have exhausted all things football at your mates BBQ you start talking about life and religion...

When religion fails...talk politics...

When all else fails...Cricket.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
martyB wrote:
Is boring and unproductive... did I not mention that before? :-k

:idea: How about another debate of similar ilk: Climate Change? :lol:

I said that this morning. Cept i thought abortion. Then we can do euthanasia and global warming.:)
Chilugal
Chilugal
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
Spooney wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:

does everyone realise that if this experiment SUCCEED'S it disspells the genisis theory/writings in the bible.

I'm no physicist, but please explain how this is so? Laymans terms please.

ok say this works. the protons hit and recreate the big bang, so if all goes to plan they will find what protons (which make everything) are made of, which could only be created if there was a big bang, and without protons their would be nothing disproving god created everything and showing that this is actually how things were made.

Perhaps I'm completely ignorant on the topic but I still don't understand how any result disproves God created everything. Please expand a little more so someone dumb like me can understand.

Do you know what circular reasoning is? You're saying IF proton building blocks are found this proves the Big Bang because the Big Bang proves these proton building blocks? :lol:

Evolutionists don't even know what the Big Bang is, they change their mind every few years. How can finding anything prove something they don't know how to prove? I'm 27 and going through school we were taught that all matter in the universe were squished so tightly it fit in a full stop (.)----then the big bang. Today they are now teaching matter wasn't squished but that the big bang came from literally nothing. Nothing exploded and here we are. Blind Faith or a Fairy Tale? :-k

So evolutionists now have the problem of how to make matter out of nothing. If they could work that out (I don't believe it's possible), brilliant - that would be monumental. But ultimately it would only prove one thing, it takes intelligence to create something from nothing, not random chance.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Chilugal, I'll try to explain what I have learnt...

Protons are made of quarks. There are several experiments being conducted with the LHC - not just the one collision.

The experiment in question is the tracing of the path of ejected subatomic particles upon collision. By tracing the paths they can find particles that have not been known before (flip side is they may not find new particles - hence God MUST exist :roll:).

The particle that is hypothesised to exist is the 'Higgs Boson' aka "The God Particle." It is smaller than a quark (pretty small). The presence of this would help prove the argument for the Higgs Mechanism - which in a nut shell proposes that there is a field that occupies space (ie the void between masses and the void filled by mass). As energy passes through this field it slows down and turns into mass (opposite of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity in a sense (that as mass approaches the speed of light {theorised as the fastest speed possible} it turns into energy)), the rate at which it is slowed down to determines the structure/hardness (whatever) of the Higgs Particle. Quick explanation.

In essence, the experiment is aiming to explain why then you bang your head on the desk, it hurts. :P Well, we know why... it's explaining why your head doesn't go through the desk like a ghost: it explains why your head even exists as a solid entity.

*draws breathe* I know ive left something out! :P

It's easy to play the Devil's advocate, try doing some reading of your own if you're that skeptical. If you don't you're just ignorant. :)

EDIT: Hang on, that still doesn't explain how energy came into being.... meh. Then again... If God created energy, who the fuck created God??? :-s

Edited by martyB: 11/9/2008 11:24:19 PM

Edited by martyB: 11/9/2008 11:24:50 PM

Edited by martyB: 11/9/2008 11:27:27 PM
martyB
martyB
Legend

Quote:
Evolutionists don't even know what the Big Bang is, they change their mind every few years. How can finding anything prove something they don't know how to prove?
That's what science is about. Trial and error is a significant part of science. You can only theorise based on current knowledge. As technology advances, so does our knowledge: hence knowledge changes as technology does. New theories develop, and sometimes they are contradictory.

Science isn't about showing one another up (although this is a good source of motivation) and saying that we're right and you were wrong. Who knows, one day science may end up proving that God and ghosts do exist. Sometimes you can only define something by what it's not.

Quote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Do you believe everything you read in the newspaper too? :P
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

martyB wrote:
Quote:
Evolutionists don't even know what the Big Bang is, they change their mind every few years. How can finding anything prove something they don't know how to prove?
That's what science is about. Trial and error is a significant part of science. You can only theorise based on current knowledge. As technology advances, so does our knowledge: hence knowledge changes as technology does. New theories develop, and sometimes they are contradictory.

Aye, we learnt about something similar in my philosophy class last year. Basically you can have a theory which is widely believed, but as time passes, more and more flaws are found in this theory until a new theory emerges as what is widely believed. The circle then continues.

The example we had was the earth. It was originally believed (by the church no less) that the earth was flat, however that was dis-proven over time as people explored. Now its widely believed that the earth is round, however new research is showing that the earth is more of an egg shape.

Its because of this that, IMO, science still exists. We are constantly trying to find new knowledge, and constantly trying to learn more. If we knew everything there is to know, life wouldn't be worth living.
martyB
martyB
Legend

Quote:
however new research is showing that the earth is more of an egg shape.
Not 'showing', it is. Just as the Moon doesn't literally revolve around the Earth, which doesn't literally revolve around the Sun.

Quote:
Its because of this that, IMO, science still exists. We are constantly trying to find new knowledge, and constantly trying to learn more. If we knew everything there is to know, life wouldn't be worth living.
People look to religion for answers: and I'm not referring to guidance through life, but the answer to existence. It's easy to understand, it makes sense on a superficial level. There is someone or something that has created everything. Personally, Im of the opinion that things have always existed - in the form of energy (hence Big Bang). Science may prove me wrong and I hopes it does. I think most people need closure, whether it's in the form of God and creationism, or whether it's through the idea of a Big Bang. Our lives are based on beginnings and endings, and thinking of something that has neither is a hard concept to wrap your mind around.

Edited by martyB: 12/9/2008 12:43:37 AM
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Not much more to add to that, completely agree with you.
Chilugal
Chilugal
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)

I slept in again! Stupid qualifiers are ruining my body clock, I wanted to watch the Portugal v Denmark match and already missed the first half (I know it's on delay but I don't know the result).

Thanks for your effort to explain martyB, I'm somewhat ignorant but not completely, sarcasm doesn't always translate well on Message boards.

I agree with just about everything you said, I'm not trying to argue that the discovery or non-discovery of these particles will prove God's existence, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't disprove God and/or prove the Big Bang like the assumptions presented in this thread.

Who created God? Well no one, Biblically speaking he is not a created being - he is the creator of time, space and matter and not confined to it as we are. People sometimes ask, "what did God do for Trillions of years before he created us?" Well, there was no trillions of years before he created Time. I don't get it and don't pretend to get it, so we go back to faith as many people have so far expressed here.

I like how you mentioned needing closure and I agree, it's human nature. In the end everyone (even the atheist) has a "god". I've chosen the God of the Bible, the atheist's god is the Big Bang.

To the atheist the Big Bang created them, for no purpose or meaning, the magic ingredient: chance and time. Belief requirement: faith.

Anyway, I'm off to watch the rest of this Portuguese game or sleep.

PS: I don't know why Christendom supported the flat earth teaching, but the Bible can't be held accountable, just misinformed men.

Isaiah 40:22a It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth...

Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

mk0825
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

When you ask a christian who created god they take the slimy back exit saying; 'If someone made him would HE be God?' Grrrr.

I dont like the christians who say we're going to hell because we dont believe and get impatient with us. Then they say god will accept us whenever we are ready because he loves us all. God loves us all but followers dont???

deportivo1985
deportivo1985
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
When you ask a christian who created god they take the slimy back exit saying; 'If someone made him would HE be God?' Grrrr.

I dont like the christians who say we're going to hell because we dont believe and get impatient with us. Then they say god will accept us whenever we are ready because he loves us all. God loves us all but followers dont???

How many christians have said that to you? :lol:

This Thread is getting pretty long. Might soon end up rivaling the SMFC ones
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

Religion was the science of the stone age + middle age.
Modern ages - When something cannot be explained, a scientist finds a solution.
Middle ages - When something cannot be explained, a holyman creates a supernatural answer.

Egyptions, like alot of cultures, could not explain the sun - So they agreed it was GOD and they named it RA.
People need answers, we cannot leave well enough alone. Religion started to wither once scientific enquiry had built enough evidence to undermine beliefs. Thats why the various religions detained or killed early scientists as they were explaining away god.

And dont forget... The modern Bible was written by Julius Cesar and a table of wealthy rulers. Its all fairy tales
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

What about those people who thank god if theyre in a car crash for not dying. Why dont they question why god didnt save the family in the other car? 'God' can do no wrong.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
I dont like the christians who say we're going to hell because we dont believe and get impatient with us.

The Bible actually never mentions Hell. Its a fabrication of men that wanted to control the masses with fear. The popular Hell of the 9 planes and all that is from Dante's Inferno who was locked up in solitude going through his own personal torment. People took his ramblings and preached it to the plebs who worshipped God out of fear, when it should be out of love.

Also the 7 deadly sins are bullshit too. They were created by some guy who was out partying and getting drunk and having orgies every night, then suddenly turned to God and wrote down these 7 sins. You CANNOT live a life without breaking a deadly sin. They are all 'human' traits. They are all fun. So in this madman's mind, anything that has a human aspect or enjoyable is a trick of the devil to entice you. You like being lazy? You like drinking and eating? You like having sex? The devil is enticing you!!!! Sinner!!!
:roll:

Watch Hell: The Devil's Domain for more info. It was on the History Channel once. Talks about the image of hell, Satan, the origins of it all etc etc. Basically, its all bs and just artists impressions and man making it up.

What could be taken as a meaning is if you do not accept God's love, or you do not love God, then when you die you will be in your own personal hell which is distant from God. Something along those lines.

People that say "you will go to hell if you do not worship God" are just as bad as the Inquisition. They are using fear tactics to convert people. Thats not what religion (any of them) is about. You should want to believe in something because you want to and it gives you something, spiritually, mentally etc. you should not be following a religion because you are scared of what may happen if you don't.

Xenu is not going to come because he is a fabrication of a Science Fiction author! An author who claimed that the easiest way to become a millionaire was to create a religion.
deportivo1985
deportivo1985
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Watch Hell: The Devil's Domain for more info. It was on the History Channel once. Talks about the image of hell, Satan, the origins of it all etc etc. Basically, its all bs and just artists impressions and man making it up.

Xenu is not going to come because he is a fabrication of a Science Fiction author! An author who claimed that the easiest way to become a millionaire was to create a religion.

Fark, i wanted to watch that on SBS but i missed it. Looked interesting.

Wat religion is Xenu from. Wouldnt be scientology would it?
Erebus
Erebus
Legend

I ended up downloading it a few months ago. If you are that way inclined, you can download it OR I have seen it on Youtube in like 10 parts or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu
deportivo1985
deportivo1985
Pro

have you seen the south park ep when they explain Scientology...class
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

All the Southpark Religion episodes are awsome. I especially like the Mormon one. Dum Du Dum Dum Dum
Erebus
Erebus
Legend

"Tom Cruise, get out of the closet!"
"I'm not coming out of the closet"
:lol:
charonis
charonis
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

Glenn - A-league Mad wrote:
And dont forget... The modern Bible was written by Julius Cesar and a table of wealthy rulers. Its all fairy tales

Julius Caesar writing the bible?

W...

T...

F??!?!?
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class

charonis wrote:
Glenn - A-league Mad wrote:

Julius Caesar writing the bible?

W...

T...

F??!?!?

Look into it. When Rome converted to chritianity (roman catholic) Ceaser and his noble men took the old testament (fire and brimstone) and rewrote it into the new testament, they crafted the storys for thier own purpose.

This is the bible you buy today or get in cheap american hotels :d
Erebus
Erebus
Legend

*ahem* Julius Caesar was around 50BC, before Jesus was born!

And Rome converted to Christianity with Constantine who was the first Christian Roman Emperor at 306AD.

Maybe you are confused with the modern day calendar, since Julius created that...
charonis
charonis
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

Yes, I'm sure the bible hasn't be rewritten since 300AD....

And yes... JULIUS Caesar was killed in 44BC, so I hardly see how he could possibly write the bible we have today.

Caesar was a title given to the Julio-Claudian Emperors of Rome (as they were all related to Julius), and since then the future Emperors (of which Constantine is part of) were known as Caesar.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend

yeah Glenn, please link us to this claim of yours.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Erebus wrote:
[quote=mk0825]Xenu is not going to come because he is a fabrication of a Science Fiction author! An author who claimed that the easiest way to become a millionaire was to create a religion.

So youre saying Xenu isnt gonna save my pussy?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search