Travel Thread

Travel Thread

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
haha as if.....egg ball players more so.

Off to Chile mid August, likely to see better talent their and on the streets as well :)

Love Football

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

johnszasz - 11 Apr 2019 7:19 PM
TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2019 12:37 AM

Nice. Where did you go? Favourite or best place if possible to say?

UK
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Italy
France
Vatican City

and a stop off at Qatar.

Qatar is shit. How they are going to host the world's largest tournament in three years time, God only knows.

As for the best, Austria. Easily. I stayed in Innsbruck on NYE and by George. I also like the UK I stayed at a top-notch hotel (imo) which helped.
Italy was pretty awesome too and I always have time for France but I go to France regularly so I know the spots.

Keen to see what Noumea has in stock this time. I think I just miss football season which is sad. Oh well.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 16 Jul 2019 3:41 PM
johnszasz - 11 Apr 2019 7:19 PM

UK
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Italy
France
Vatican City

and a stop off at Qatar.

Qatar is shit. How they are going to host the world's largest tournament in three years time, God only knows.

As for the best, Austria. Easily. I stayed in Innsbruck on NYE and by George. I also like the UK I stayed at a top-notch hotel (imo) which helped.
Italy was pretty awesome too and I always have time for France but I go to France regularly so I know the spots.

Keen to see what Noumea has in stock this time. I think I just miss football season which is sad. Oh well.

Austria is a fine place. I need to go there more. I've never been to Poland. The only country bordering Germany I've not been to. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
johnszasz - 16 Jul 2019 4:27 PM
TheSelectFew - 16 Jul 2019 3:41 PM

Austria is a fine place. I need to go there more. I've never been to Poland. The only country bordering Germany I've not been to. 

You're missing out, great country.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paladisious - 16 Jul 2019 7:30 PM
johnszasz - 16 Jul 2019 4:27 PM

You're missing out, great country.

Sounds like your shout to me.

Edited
5 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Am actually going to Sopot week after next.

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Heading to Japan for a snow trip at the end of February next year with a few mates. Will go to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka afterwards. Any recommendations are welcome :) 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

So looking at doing the bogan migration to bali next may for a week with some friends, probably a couple of toddlers.
Anyone been? Just want to chill, pool time etc everyone else has been to Thailand but not bali, would be keen for somewhere that we are all together, private villa pool (as well as resort pool) if it's in the budget. Somewhere that at night we can hang due to kids in bed. Or any other options, I'm really not sure for this one. 

Normally this holiday isn't my thing,  i like the eurotrip/history lesson but can't have that and do house extensions haha. 
 Doing my research. 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

aufc_ole - 29 Jul 2019 10:21 PM
Heading to Japan for a snow trip at the end of February next year with a few mates. Will go to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka afterwards. Any recommendations are welcome :) 

Go to Nara and feed the deer if you're doing the kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

scubaroo - 4 Aug 2019 11:11 PM
So looking at doing the bogan migration to bali next may for a week with some friends, probably a couple of toddlers.
Anyone been? Just want to chill, pool time etc everyone else has been to Thailand but not bali, would be keen for somewhere that we are all together, private villa pool (as well as resort pool) if it's in the budget. Somewhere that at night we can hang due to kids in bed. Or any other options, I'm really not sure for this one. 

Normally this holiday isn't my thing,  i like the eurotrip/history lesson but can't have that and do house extensions haha. 
 Doing my research. 

Keep your head down and stay away from Australians.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 5 Aug 2019 10:36 PM
scubaroo - 4 Aug 2019 11:11 PM

Keep your head down and stay away from Australians.

Thats a no brainer,  i am keen to get to a bali United match,  season starts in may so hopefully i time it right. 

We're just keen to hang with mates by the pool, we all live across vic and nsw and bali is cheaper than going anywhere in Australia to catch up,  plus its not practically winter there. 

Asia isn't normally somewhere I'd choose to go, for some reason i want to go to Singapore though. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

scubaroo - 5 Aug 2019 11:45 PM
TheSelectFew - 5 Aug 2019 10:36 PM

Thats a no brainer,  i am keen to get to a bali United match,  season starts in may so hopefully i time it right. 

We're just keen to hang with mates by the pool, we all live across vic and nsw and bali is cheaper than going anywhere in Australia to catch up,  plus its not practically winter there. 

Asia isn't normally somewhere I'd choose to go, for some reason i want to go to Singapore though. 

Singapore is pretty dull in my opinion. A few days at the absolute most. 
Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Burztur - 5 Aug 2019 8:20 PM
aufc_ole - 29 Jul 2019 10:21 PM

Go to Nara and feed the deer if you're doing the kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Nara is a great spot, +1 this.

If you have a day spare around the Kyoto area you can also check out Mt Koya if you want to see some of the old school side of Japan. Lots of really old temples where Buddhism is still practiced and an amazing hall with countless lanterns. Very pretty spot! Expensive to stay the night in a temple though and everything shuts early, just keep that in mind. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 9 Aug 2019 3:11 PM
scubaroo - 5 Aug 2019 11:45 PM

Singapore is pretty dull in my opinion. A few days at the absolute most. 

Had the option of Singapore or Hong Kong as a stopover and took HK. Friends had told me Singapore is interesting but a bit too high end in many places. HK seemed to have the better balance. While I enjoyed the novelty of HK, the humidity was murder. Narrow footpaths with so many people and the annoyance of using overpass upon overpass to cross streets meant a lot more walking. 

The star ferry and Victoria Peak was great while Mong Kok and Kowloon were a lot of fun. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

johnszasz - 10 Aug 2019 6:05 PM
ErogenousZone - 9 Aug 2019 3:11 PM

Had the option of Singapore or Hong Kong as a stopover and took HK. Friends had told me Singapore is interesting but a bit too high end in many places. HK seemed to have the better balance. While I enjoyed the novelty of HK, the humidity was murder. Narrow footpaths with so many people and the annoyance of using overpass upon overpass to cross streets meant a lot more walking. 

The star ferry and Victoria Peak was great while Mong Kok and Kowloon were a lot of fun. 

For me those reasons what makes HK significantly more interesting than Hong Kong.  There is something sterile & manufactured about Singapore, kind of creeped me out in many ways. Most Singapore locals just fly to surrounding countries on weekends.  Hong Kong has a shitload of culture, history & they're a very proud people who hate mainland China.  
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Do HK - Singers is sterile unless your on a business trip not vacation.

Just been to Shanghai again last week and then did the long haul from Sydney stop over Auckland to Santiago. 13.5 hr flight !
Just love Chile - the food/red wine - culture - the place its just pumping great vibes but damn, the traffic at peak times is as bad as Sydney Melbourne and even many parts of China I visit.
Heading home tomorrow night then I have sleepy ol Adelaide from next Tuesday rest of the week.
I buggered now and worse by end of next week.
Work is a bitch but I love it !

Love Football

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Noumea in September is getting closer. <3

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 12 Aug 2019 10:06 AM
johnszasz - 10 Aug 2019 6:05 PM

For me those reasons what makes HK significantly more interesting than Hong Kong.  There is something sterile & manufactured about Singapore, kind of creeped me out in many ways. Most Singapore locals just fly to surrounding countries on weekends.  Hong Kong has a shitload of culture, history & they're a very proud people who hate mainland China.  

Singapore is strange. The humidity makes you feel like your in SE Asia yet the city has nothing that makes places like Indonesia, Malaysia Vietnam etc interesting. Good food tho.

Kind of feels like the northern end of CBD under the regime of Aunty Gladys.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 21 Aug 2019 9:42 AM
Noumea in September is getting closer. <3

You'll live noumea. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 21 Aug 2019 12:39 PM

Singapore is strange. The humidity makes you feel like your in SE Asia yet the city has nothing that makes places like Indonesia, Malaysia Vietnam etc interesting. Good food tho.

Isnt Singapore in se Asia??
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 21 Aug 2019 1:45 PM

Isnt Singapore in se Asia??

Hence me comparing it to other destinations in SE Asia. 🤔🤔🤔

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Good comparison, everything feels tacked on rather than an organic development of a countries culture.  
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

So weve got our Bali trip in May.

Anyone been traveling through Asia since the whole coronavirus kicked off? My wife has been a little worried,  just cause we're taking our 2yo daughter and Indo is claiming they have nothing which by all reports is highly unlikely.
Im not so worried, but always keeping an eye on developments,  have a customer who is going in March then my boss in April so it should be an interesting few months. 
Also noticed insurance companies are being shady about it all, i looked into it and was told because we had it before 20th January we were covered for it but apparently they can completely not cover you by offering a refund of the trip and if you don't take it your not covered for novel coronavirus at all. Will be looking into this again in the next few days. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

scubaroo - 24 Feb 2020 12:29 AM
So weve got our Bali trip in May.

Anyone been traveling through Asia since the whole coronavirus kicked off? My wife has been a little worried,  just cause we're taking our 2yo daughter and Indo is claiming they have nothing which by all reports is highly unlikely.
Im not so worried, but always keeping an eye on developments,  have a customer who is going in March then my boss in April so it should be an interesting few months. 
Also noticed insurance companies are being shady about it all, i looked into it and was told because we had it before 20th January we were covered for it but apparently they can completely not cover you by offering a refund of the trip and if you don't take it your not covered for novel coronavirus at all. Will be looking into this again in the next few days. 

In the same boat.  Supposed to be going to Vietnam in April.

Member since 2008.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 24 Feb 2020 7:13 AM
scubaroo - 24 Feb 2020 12:29 AM

In the same boat.  Supposed to be going to Vietnam in April.

Ive actually got friends in Vietnam right now,  they've got 3 kids all 10-3 year olds, they aren't huge travellers but they didn't have any issues in going. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I'm glad I went to HK mid last year instead of Singapore. We arrived the day after the intital protest so it was still very calm by comparison. It find HK so interesting and mysterious.

We didn't have much time for the stopover but managed to see some interesting things. I'll argue the daze of the jetlag had an effect. Unfortunately the temperature and the constant use of steps to use the over and underpasses at busy roads can really take its toll. Buggered. 

If we think about it, many of our first sightings of places have the drowsiness of some Jetlag. I feel it plays with the perception where I feel very far from where I've just come. Sydney harbour is always like another planet after that long flight. Germany upon returning feels like the absolute opposite like I've just landed from a spaceship.

Have you had similar feelings? 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Just returned from 7 nights in London. A real joy to get back over there. Stayed in Ealing which is much farther our than the normal Zone 2 or even 1 places I'll stay.

An interesting little hack until they finally crack onto it of course. It appears locations in zone 3, so Ealing, Chiswick Brentford, of the hotel chain Premier inn don't show up on the website search for either London or Greater London. They're wedged in there and seem to need a manual search for their exact address. This keeps rates much lower. Of course a Google search should generally bring it up but it's off the radar for a fair while. Surely the company will change this when they learn of it.

Ealing is great and will be a secret no more once Crossrail is completed. Currently tfl rail only needs 10min to Paddington. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Was at Heathrow today. Is it just me or are air travellers a bunch of zombies? Security and boarding took forever because people were in lala land. Also disembarking people decide to stand up in the aisle and do their hair, scarf and jacket for a good 60 seconds and then finally decide to walk to the exit. All of this could be done in the seat section.

Can't stand those who use an overhead bin very far away from the seat. They then block or push through the aisle to get the bag for a quicker escape. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

So once and if this is all truly over and one can travel without restrictions,  where will you be heading? I really want to go to Edinburgh and Vienna again. I'd like to take some time to get around smaller Belgian cities. Visits to Nürnberg and Frankfurt are on.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Good question re when you feel safe to travel again.
In your earlier post you asked about viewing from your seat shortly before landing from long flights and how you feel.
TBH I pretty much feel OK but for looking forward to a shower and not feeling jet lagged and upon viewing Sydney harbour (most times early morn arrivals) I'm feeling awesum home sweet home and how beautiful our harbour looks to arrive.
Surely many visitors must think WOW how nice is this.

Yer heading to customs frustrates me - why do people walk so bloody slow ! why are they never organsied in prep towards customs, how hard is it to slide your passport and read the prompts !
Also mentioning people who leave their on board luggage away from their seat, normally ahead of their seat, like wtf stop trying to barge through.
So glad I have a apec card and slide through the express/flight attendant section.

When it over where to ?
Well business will be first of, I will need to get back to China but I won't be rushing getting back there if I can help it !
Santiago/Lima/Industrial area of Nth Italy (yikes as well) and some asia pacific countries.
Re family, pre covid was arranging to book Euro 5wk trip lucky I didn't, London (a couple of EPL games incl) onto Madeira/Lisbon/Barca and surrounds/north Italy (incl any games that falls into the intineray apart from visiting family and touring).
Love Madeira - chilled out relaxed island, so all the fam trip above will be re scheduled for '21 fingers crossed.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search