Travel Thread

Travel Thread

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
LFC. - 29 Apr 2020 11:37 AM
Good question re when you feel safe to travel again.
In your earlier post you asked about viewing from your seat shortly before landing from long flights and how you feel.
TBH I pretty much feel OK but for looking forward to a shower and not feeling jet lagged and upon viewing Sydney harbour (most times early morn arrivals) I'm feeling awesum home sweet home and how beautiful our harbour looks to arrive.
Surely many visitors must think WOW how nice is this.

Yer heading to customs frustrates me - why do people walk so bloody slow ! why are they never organsied in prep towards customs, how hard is it to slide your passport and read the prompts !
Also mentioning people who leave their on board luggage away from their seat, normally ahead of their seat, like wtf stop trying to barge through.
So glad I have a apec card and slide through the express/flight attendant section.

When it over where to ?
Well business will be first of, I will need to get back to China but I won't be rushing getting back there if I can help it !
Santiago/Lima/Industrial area of Nth Italy (yikes as well) and some asia pacific countries.
Re family, pre covid was arranging to book Euro 5wk trip lucky I didn't, London (a couple of EPL games incl) onto Madeira/Lisbon/Barca and surrounds/north Italy (incl any games that falls into the intineray apart from visiting family and touring).
Love Madeira - chilled out relaxed island, so all the fam trip above will be re scheduled for '21 fingers crossed.

Sydney International occasionally has an officer directing traffic but too often I see people with ineligible passports trying to using the smart gates. They keep interesting their passport to obtain their ticket then complain it's not working. 

It always bottlenecks as oncoming people think there's one queue. They really need some dividers for each machine and then passengers flow through to the gates. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnszasz - 30 Apr 2020 5:00 AM
LFC. - 29 Apr 2020 11:37 AM

Sydney International occasionally has an officer directing traffic but too often I see people with ineligible passports trying to using the smart gates. They keep interesting their passport to obtain their ticket then complain it's not working. 

It always bottlenecks as oncoming people think there's one queue. They really need some dividers for each machine and then passengers flow through to the gates. 

yer its not hard re the passport read, if it don't work once the chip isn't working, get onto the que but no they want to avoid that.
Yer they have had an officer towards the smart gates but trouble is when 3odd flights arrive within minutes of each other, they should assign a couple more down the que/s to navigate the herds.
PIA going through USA customs, that is so busy there even with apec/express access, they take forever, treat you like your a crim with their looks and questioning.

Love Football

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

johnszasz - 29 Apr 2020 3:47 AM
So once and if this is all truly over and one can travel without restrictions,  where will you be heading? I really want to go to Edinburgh and Vienna again. I'd like to take some time to get around smaller Belgian cities. Visits to Nürnberg and Frankfurt are on.

I squeezed in a Japan trip before everything kicked off. Would love to do a 4 week Euro trip and see my parents in Africa
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

johnszasz - 29 Apr 2020 3:47 AM
So once and if this is all truly over and one can travel without restrictions,  where will you be heading? I really want to go to Edinburgh and Vienna again. I'd like to take some time to get around smaller Belgian cities. Visits to Nürnberg and Frankfurt are on.

I'm going on paid and then unpaid leave for as long as feasibly possible. 

Indo and malaysia then to Beijing, trans Siberia railway,  Russia then finish things off by visting my mates in Sweden and UK, catching a few football matches and then fly home.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I got a short Tasmania trip in before the lockdown, and can't wait to see more of Australia. There is still a stack of Central NSW I want to see, and I also want to get back to WA at some point as I haven't been there in my post-teen life. I don't forsee me heading overseas for a while, not when there is so much on offer in my own backyard. 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

pv4 - 30 Apr 2020 4:39 PM
I got a short Tasmania trip in before the lockdown, and can't wait to see more of Australia. There is still a stack of Central NSW I want to see, and I also want to get back to WA at some point as I haven't been there in my post-teen life. I don't forsee me heading overseas for a while, not when there is so much on offer in my own backyard. 

I’m in the same boat PV4.
We are pretty lucky in Australia that there’s so many great places to visit.
In a way I’m more than happy to visit around Australia in a small way of boosting the economy.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Pretty sure we will trade our Bali flights for a trip to Western Australia (i want a sunny trip) or New Zealand for interests sake.  Cannot see Bali being a destination to go to for quite a while which im not too bothered about in a holidaying sense. 
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aussie pride - 30 Apr 2020 8:02 PM
pv4 - 30 Apr 2020 4:39 PM

I’m in the same boat PV4.
We are pretty lucky in Australia that there’s so many great places to visit.
In a way I’m more than happy to visit around Australia in a small way of boosting the economy.

I like to believe without hypocrisy that I was bringing an empty esky to rural places before it was a hashtag, but since the bushfires and now the current state of the world it is going to be even more important to travel to our rural areas and support them. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Australian travelling is going to BOOM once we can get back to some form of normality.
We also will do more holiday travels round Oz, never get bored of it so much to do and see.
Get a 4x4 guys, nothing beats touring and using a dirt track or 3, beach driving is great fun and having spots all to yourselves, the scenaririty lol......
Did Sydney to Noosa during Jan hols, love being on those open roads.

Funny listenning to Alan Joyce last night - quoting fares could discounted as low as $19 ! to get people back to airports.
We shall see.
6 bidders looking into Virgin.

Love Football

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

LFC. - 6 May 2020 10:41 AM
Australian travelling is going to BOOM once we can get back to some form of normality.
We also will do more holiday travels round Oz, never get bored of it so much to do and see.
Get a 4x4 guys, nothing beats touring and using a dirt track or 3, beach driving is great fun and having spots all to yourselves, the scenaririty lol......

Funny listenning to Alan Joyce last night - quoting fares could discounted as low as $19 ! to get people back to airports.
We shall see.

Yeah i saw that about the potential $19 flights, though on the radio 2 days ago i heard a standard jetstar flight from Melbourne to sydney or Brisbane cause be up to 6 times the regular price. 
Will be interesting cause we've got jetstar vouchers to use from our bali trip that didn't happen and you HAVE to use them in one it. Its either going to be super cheap or super expensive to travel.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

We shall see.

We need to create a little travel bubble with not just NZ but also Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Burztur - 9 May 2020 10:49 AM

We need to create a little travel bubble with not just NZ but also Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.

I can get the above for those countries have handled covid pretty much as us but I'd still be pretty hesitant jumping on any flight till a vaccine is released.
No matter the amount of pre flight testing etc, seat distancing would you really trust sucking in that recycled air for x hours.

I'm working on the first trip, is packing 4x4 - with sporting gear/surf board etc and heading UP the NSW coast with the wife and daughter when were given the go ahead.

Love Football

Edited
4 Years Ago by LFC.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

LFC. - 11 May 2020 12:13 PM
Burztur - 9 May 2020 10:49 AM

I can get the above for those countries have handled covid pretty much as us but I'd still be pretty hesitant jumping on any flight till a vaccine is released.
No matter the amount of pre flight testing etc, seat distancing would you really trust sucking in that recycled air for x hours.

I'm working on the first trip, is packing 4x4 - with sporting gear/surf board etc and heading UP the NSW coast with the wife and daughter when were given the go ahead.

I agree. There will be general hesitation of air travel for some while yet. As for going up the coast, great idea. Any spots to recommend? We've gone up to and done most of the mid north coast but happy to do it again. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

It'll be interesting in the coming year or so as countries agree to open borders with each other how the USA will cope with being one of the last in the queue.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Burztur - 11 May 2020 7:12 PM
LFC. - 11 May 2020 12:13 PM

I agree. There will be general hesitation of air travel for some while yet. As for going up the coast, great idea. Any spots to recommend? We've gone up to and done most of the mid north coast but happy to do it again. 

I never get sick of of north coast trips - last one in Jan right up to Noosa, that area is surreal off peak season.
Other places we head
Short run from Sydney - One Mile Beach not far from Nelson Bay.
Then Blueys Beach - Boomerang/Myall Lakes to Foster.
Cresent Head - stay there and use the Back Beachs dirt road to Point Plummer, fantastic spots.
Port Mac is ok but too many retirees same goes for Coffs Harbour but the place is improving alot.
Stayed at the Pacific Bay Resort Jan, awesum place.
Shappire Beach.
Angourie Beach near Yamba.
Byron in the off season still is great.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

paladisious - 11 May 2020 9:26 PM
It'll be interesting in the coming year or so as countries agree to open borders with each other how the USA will cope with being one of the last in the queue.

incl Italy/Spain/London having been major tourist hot spots

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

LFC. - 11 May 2020 11:26 PM
Burztur - 11 May 2020 7:12 PM

I never get sick of of north coast trips - last one in Jan right up to Noosa, that area is surreal off peak season.
Other places we head
Short run from Sydney - One Mile Beach not far from Nelson Bay.
Then Blueys Beach - Boomerang/Myall Lakes to Foster.
Cresent Head - stay there and use the Back Beachs dirt road to Point Plummer, fantastic spots.
Port Mac is ok but too many retirees same goes for Coffs Harbour but the place is improving alot.
Stayed at the Pacific Bay Resort Jan, awesum place.
Shappire Beach.
Angourie Beach near Yamba. Are the Daddo boys initials still in the cement on the  path down to Yamba Beach?   
Byron in the off season still is great.

The South Coast is also pretty good. I tend to head north during Autumn and south during the warmer months. Some great places in the Eurobodalla.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

LFC. - 11 May 2020 11:27 PM
paladisious - 11 May 2020 9:26 PM

incl Italy/Spain/London having been major tourist hot spots

Fair point but at least their curves have been managed to some degree, and the timeline for their rejoining the rest of the world will reflect that.

Meanwhile the US will be complaining that they're left behind a wall without the slightest awareness of irony.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

patjennings - 12 May 2020 1:23 AM
LFC. - 11 May 2020 11:26 PM

The South Coast is also pretty good. I tend to head north during Autumn and south during the warmer months. Some great places in the Eurobodalla.

do you have to mention them lol, saw that long ago not sure nowadays.
Agreed re south coast, so clean and amazing coastline as well.
Logical heading south during our summer but I've had too much habit heading north BUT done plenty trips down there.
Culburra Beach
Currarong
Callala
Huskinson
Vincentia
Jervis Bay is majestic so many spots to hang at and enjoy, Sussex Inlet.
Manyana
Lake Conjola was one of my fav haunts surfing out at Green Island.
Bendalong
Mollymook
Good ol Marlin Hotel in Ulladulla.
Narooma !
Bawley Point
You got me inspired patjennings, need to re visit but not with winter coming on - too bloody cold for me ! especially the water !!!!
I'll hit some golf balls at Mollymook instead :)

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Some nice spots on this page LFC.   👍  Have been to a good majority of them.  Australia is full of beautiful spots. 

Was supposed to fly overseas with the family this year but we're not going anywhere overseas until at least later next year. 

Thinking about North Western Australia next,  Broome/Pilbara region, that sort of thing. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Cheers mate.
We do have a great place for travel, trouble is its been more viable travelling OS due to the local costs being higher than airfares.
I'm glad the cruise industry will cop a hit, I'm no fan of it but some of the deals I've seen were brilliant for those inclined.
The roads/freeways are improving heaps now here - makes for easy driving.
So much to do.
Only done Perth/Darwin - your Piburra/Broome etc thoughts are good, looks amazing got to do that one day as well lol, haven't done Ayers Rock, maybe no point now they have stopped walking to the top.
Kakado etc would be cool to visit as well.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search