Travel Thread

Travel Thread

Author
SlyGoat36
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Absent_doz_2259 wrote:
SlyGoat36 wrote:
Has anyone been to Japan? Is it expensive to buy shit there like food and train tickets?

A bit similar in prices to here really, depends where you are. If you're going for an extended time have a look at getting a JR ticket which will let you on unlimited JR trains - but be aware, there are competing train companies so one unlimited ticket will only apply to that company. But the train system is as good as it gets - no need to travel by any other means for a lot of the country.

Thanks mate!
BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Jimmy Grant's looks excellent! Thanks for the help and the links mate.

Where are some other good souva places?

Kalimera Souvlaki Art in Oakleigh is pretty great, but Oakleigh is probably a bit out of the way & I personally wouldn't bother heading out there unless you'd planned on going to Chadstone or something http://www.kalimerasouvlakiart.com.au/menu/

There's probably some good places in the city but I really wouldn't know which to recommend.

Another Greek place i'd recommend is Demitri's Feast in Richmond, it's a cafe & most of it's options have a Greek influence: http://www.demitrisfeast.com.au/p/menu.html

Just saw these. Thanks mate! Kalimera looks good, Demitri's looks alright, recommend it?
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

BRFC_92 wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Kalimera Souvlaki Art in Oakleigh is pretty great, but Oakleigh is probably a bit out of the way & I personally wouldn't bother heading out there unless you'd planned on going to Chadstone or something http://www.kalimerasouvlakiart.com.au/menu/

There's probably some good places in the city but I really wouldn't know which to recommend.

Another Greek place i'd recommend is Demitri's Feast in Richmond, it's a cafe & most of it's options have a Greek influence: http://www.demitrisfeast.com.au/p/menu.html

Just saw these. Thanks mate! Kalimera looks good, Demitri's looks alright, recommend it?

Having gotten back from Melbourne last week, I highly recommend 'Lambs' Souvlaki restaurant on Lygon Street in Carlton.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Having gotten back from Melbourne last week, I highly recommend 'Lambs' Souvlaki restaurant on Lygon Street in Carlton.

Please refer to the yolo kebab thread :lol:
Stalactites on Lonsdale St is an institution, in fact most places along Lonsdale St (which is the Greek 'district') are very very decent
BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

Looks awesome. Will definitely have to look at that.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Condemned666 wrote:
Nobody has been anywhere until they have been here->

burma right? ive slipped across the border on the back of a ute when i was hitchiking through thailand. it was during the floods a few years ago and all the roads were getting swallowed.

im pretty keen to get back before it gets hammered by drunken dickheads - a la thai islands/bali --

Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

BRFC_92 wrote:
Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

I was staying in the Hotel Downtowner, which is smack bang across the road from it. I've checked into my hotel room, peered out the window and just seen the neon sign which says "Lambs".

It was love at first sight. :lol:

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnszasz wrote:
Been in Germany 5 years now. Unfortunately, I've started taking the proximity to other places for granted. While I've seen quite a lot of Germany, I've still never been to Spain, Switzerland or Ireland. Three places I'd like to say I've visited. Numerous London, Berlin and New York visits have never disappointed and Edinburgh exceeded my expectations the most though I had quite low ones before visiting. Which places have exceeded your expectations or disappointed you?

montreal, berlin are about the greatest places on the planet. if any of you get a chance to live there for a bit - do it!

nepal is great.

new zealand is sweet as.

i miss europe, and i didnt get enough of the canadian wilderness when i was there.

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro

Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Heineken wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
BRFC_92 wrote:

I was staying in the Hotel Downtowner, which is smack bang across the road from it. I've checked into my hotel room, peered out the window and just seen the neon sign which says "Lambs".

It was love at first sight. :lol:

Haha, do they do a good yolosouv?
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I dont care what they say about a Zombie Apocalypse and the Walking Dead, a visit to the city of Christchurch in New Zealand is proof of what a town can look like in a post-apocalyptic, zombie apocalypse setting

Clicky
YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Heading to Japan in August. Aw yiss
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

YerNathanael wrote:

lol I get there on like the 10th.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:

-PB

I'm getting there on the 3rd and leaving around the 20th. If we end up in the same place we should try and catch a J-League game
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I'll probably be in Japan for a few months from June onwards lads.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

YerNathanael wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:

-PB

I'm getting there on the 3rd and leaving around the 20th. If we end up in the same place we should try and catch a J-League game

Yeah I think I'm heading to an Osaka game while I'm over.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

SlyGoat36
SlyGoat36
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Learn to snowboard you poofs.
YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro

SlyGoat36 wrote:

It's on the to do list. This is probably going to be my last international holiday for a while as I have to pay off uni debts and such but I would love to go and snowboard in NZ during their winter.
SlyGoat36
SlyGoat36
World Class

YerNathanael wrote:
SlyGoat36 wrote:

It's on the to do list. This is probably going to be my last international holiday for a while as I have to pay off uni debts and such but I would love to go and snowboard in NZ during their winter.

It's my first time snowboarding. Heading to Japan at the end of February, I'm going to probably break my leg :lol:
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

SlyGoat36 wrote:

It's my first time snowboarding. Heading to Japan at the end of February, I'm going to probably break my leg :lol:

My skiing technique is reminiscent to how one should snowboard

With 2 items to use instead of one :-k

Edited by condemned666: 12/1/2015 03:30:05 PM
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Can anyone thats been to Europe give some advice about getting around? Would it be better to hire a car or just use the train system there?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

aufc_ole wrote:
Can anyone thats been to Europe give some advice about getting around? Would it be better to hire a car or just use the train system there?

Train. You get into the centre of every town/city no problem.
http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

We're doing a very whirlwind trip of uk and spain. Few days in London followed by driving to edinburgh via bath, manchester and York. (Does anyone think this will be a rush job. 5 days) then a day in Edinburgh fly to madrid then a quick 9 day tour of Spain followed by 2 extra days in Barcelona. Anything we should be seeing?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:
We're doing a very whirlwind trip of uk and spain. Few days in London followed by driving to edinburgh via bath, manchester and York. (Does anyone think this will be a rush job. 5 days) then a day in Edinburgh fly to madrid then a quick 9 day tour of Spain followed by 2 extra days in Barcelona. Anything we should be seeing?

If you are in Edinburgh on a Saturday night
http://www.thestand.co.uk/whats-on/Edinburgh
Have to book tickets though.

thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:

when i was in europe last i didn't organise a thing apart from football games/stadium tours.. everything else i just did it when i felt like it. just enjoy yourself if you plan to much you will start stressing well at least that is how i was the first time
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

when i was in europe last i didn't organise a thing apart from football games/stadium tours.. everything else i just did it when i felt like it. just enjoy yourself if you plan to much you will start stressing well at least that is how i was the first time

Yeah we've only got a couple of things that were locking in as must see's. It's my first time and my wife spent a while in Europe. I could spend all my time touring stadiums and have planned to only go to old trafford and nou camp. We eere going to go in may but the wifes boss decided she could only have June off so we miss any club football and every international team we could see seems to be playing away! Disappointed.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

Yeah we've only got a couple of things that were locking in as must see's. It's my first time and my wife spent a while in Europe. I could spend all my time touring stadiums and have planned to only go to old trafford and nou camp. We eere going to go in may but the wifes boss decided she could only have June off so we miss any club football and every international team we could see seems to be playing away! Disappointed.

ah gutted ah well you will still have a ball man... like i said just go with the ebb and flow i found it way more relaxing and fun but then again i didn't have a partner last time i went so it was a lot easier for me haha
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

ah gutted ah well you will still have a ball man... like i said just go with the ebb and flow i found it way more relaxing and fun but then again i didn't have a partner last time i went so it was a lot easier for me haha

Haha... essentially the trip is for me. Although somehow we each had our choices of countries to go to and we are going to her choices. Though it didn't phase me at all. I've got alot of craft beer to search for!
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro

scubaroo wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

Haha... essentially the trip is for me. Although somehow we each had our choices of countries to go to and we are going to her choices. Though it didn't phase me at all. I've got alot of craft beer to search for!

that compromise though haha...

oh the beer is oh so wonderful last time i went i trained it from dublin to istanbul and every country i stopped off in i watched a game no matter top division or below all was wonderful.. the czechs do have some quality beer as well
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
aufc_ole wrote:

Train. You get into the centre of every town/city no problem.
http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes

+100.
Major cities have the train station right in the centre of town, and few European cities are so big that walking isn't an option.
Car if you are heading to more regional towns.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro

[Youtube]aDMiC6llUKY[/youtube]

Because this video blog (vlog) doesn't feature yours truly, here are the highlights for new zealand
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search