NPLV

NPLV

Author
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
South Melbourne and GVS at Bob Jane should've been a straightforward walkover for Souths.

Turned out a 1-1 all draw. Are south getting complacent?

dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
All great things must come to an end - spectacular effort from South to win 14 games straight (11 league, 3 cup) - comprehensively outplayed in the 2nd half at Oakleigh last night, Miron won the tactical battle. Never mind, 6 points clear with almost half the season gone - and the only game we've lost is to the 2nd place club at their ground - not bad.

If there was a game to live stream this season, that was it.

Don't rate live streams for NPL/VPL. Targeting the wrong demographic (given cash required), plus they impact on attendances.

Go to the game, and if you can't get there, watch the highlights the day or two later.
dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

[youtube]LOSCn0oM5lI[/youtube]
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
All great things must come to an end - spectacular effort from South to win 14 games straight (11 league, 3 cup) - comprehensively outplayed in the 2nd half at Oakleigh last night, Miron won the tactical battle. Never mind, 6 points clear with almost half the season gone - and the only game we've lost is to the 2nd place club at their ground - not bad.

Opportunity lost for sure

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Benjamin wrote:

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
kontra.11 wrote:
Good club? Their whole entire senior squad and many long time supporters and board memebers walked away from the club last year after Ange and his mates decided to take over with NPL and ultimately $$$ in their sights.

Most of the senior players walked away because they believed a player was selected on Ange's instructions - the club argue that the player in question was better than the player he replaced. It's debatable.

Meanwhile, what a damning critique of the club that Ange Postecoglou should be involved... Who on Earth would want the coach of the national team to be involved with their small state league club?

As for my statement - "good little club", any small suburban side that manages to develop two players capable of getting EPL deals in the space of a few years is safe to be called "good", and with regard to the "good not-so-little people", those I've talked to directly certainly appear to have football first in their hearts and heads... That'll do for me.

I've lost 10 kilos since I got out of hospital you know!

But not-so-little is a pretty good description.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

kontra.11 wrote:
Good club? Their whole entire senior squad and many long time supporters and board memebers walked away from the club last year after Ange and his mates decided to take over with NPL and ultimately $$$ in their sights.

Most of the senior players walked away because they believed a player was selected on Ange's instructions - the club argue that the player in question was better than the player he replaced. It's debatable.

Meanwhile, what a damning critique of the club that Ange Postecoglou should be involved... Who on Earth would want the coach of the national team to be involved with their small state league club?

As for my statement - "good little club", any small suburban side that manages to develop two players capable of getting EPL deals in the space of a few years is safe to be called "good", and with regard to the "good not-so-little people", those I've talked to directly certainly appear to have football first in their hearts and heads... That'll do for me.
kontra.11
kontra.11
Super Fan
Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

paladisious wrote:
The question now is who the hell are Eastern Jets?

Off-shoot of Nunawading City FC. Nunawading will continue playing in the lower leagues but some of the club will leave to become Eastern Jets. Nuna have developed Curtis Good and new Liverpool signing Jake Brimmer in the last few years, good little club run by good not-so-little people.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Just another boring win-win-win update... South Melbourne now 11 wins from 11, still 9 points clear of Oakleigh. Playing each other on Friday night at Oakleigh. Tremendous 5-0 win yesterday against Dandenong Thunder, with 5 different scorers.

TheSelectFew wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
You're having a laugh surely. Many clubs have excellent facilities. Sure, some are just fields but that doesn't mean you can't support. South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Preston, Heidelberg, FC Bendigo, Ballarat etc are fine. Would like to see Port and Richmond get some proper facilities.

Port is quite welcoming, so long as the crowd isn't too big there's undercover seating and decent food.

That's true but it needs a bit of a polish up. Great Greek food but. :cool:

You'd probably the best person to ask but why are FC Bendigo moving from their current stadium to regional park shithole?

No idea mate - I don't do the small towns...
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
You're having a laugh surely. Many clubs have excellent facilities. Sure, some are just fields but that doesn't mean you can't support. South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Preston, Heidelberg, FC Bendigo, Ballarat etc are fine. Would like to see Port and Richmond get some proper facilities.

Port is quite welcoming, so long as the crowd isn't too big there's undercover seating and decent food.

That's true but it needs a bit of a polish up. Great Greek food but. :cool:

You'd probably the best person to ask but why are FC Bendigo moving from their current stadium to regional park shithole?

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decazz wrote:
zarate wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
Decazz wrote:
I just want an NPL club at the old Optus oval ffs....theres no local club for me to support :(

Moreland Zebras aren't exactly too far away

Neither are Brunswick City.
I'd certainly recommend Moreland though.

Dont they just play on paddocks with next to 0 facilities?

I don't know specifically about Moreland (Brunswick Juve in disguise) and Brunswick City but plenty of teams in the NPL are pretty bare on the facilities side. If that's going to stop you supporting your local team, then you the NPL really isn't the sort of thing you're looking for.

Edited by melbourne_terrace: 29/5/2014 10:02:46 PM

Viennese Vuck

Decazz
Decazz
Rising Star
Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)

zarate wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
Decazz wrote:
I just want an NPL club at the old Optus oval ffs....theres no local club for me to support :(

Dont they just play on paddocks with next to 0 facilities?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

If only there were promotion to the A-League :(

It would be huge to have these areas covered.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Good to see another regional team in and the riviera getting more representation. I was a bit pissed that this region couldn't accomatated into the ACT Football Federation and ACL similar to how the Brumbies operate in Super Rugby. Still it's really good to see a lot more consideration given to regional teams with Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Shepparton and soon Albury-Wodonga in.

I'd love to see a Morwell Falcons team make another appearance into Victorian Football as well as an uplifted Cobram Victory one day.

Viennese Vuck

zarate
zarate
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Decazz wrote:

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Decazz wrote:

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

The question now is who the hell are Eastern Jets?
Decazz
Decazz
Rising Star
Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)Rising Star (889 reputation)

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Blackmissionary wrote:
paladisious wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Murray United FC entering NPL1 next season. Interesting.

I wonder if they're replacing someone, or they're adding two teams to NPL1, or what?

NPL1, along with Eastern Jets.

Ah, right you are:

FFV wrote:
In addition to the licences listed above that will be offered, FFV will offer a licence to Eastern Jets and Border FC to start in the 2015 season.

Border FC of course being the pre-renamed Murray United FC.
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker
Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)

paladisious wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

I wonder if they're replacing someone, or they're adding two teams to NPL1, or what?

NPL1, along with Eastern Jets.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paladisious wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Unsure. It would be interesting to find out. The latter would be best.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

The Border Mail wrote:
UNITED FRONT: Border launches Premier League club
May 28, 2014, midnight

FORMER Wodonga mayor Mark Byatt will lead the Border’s National Premier League soccer club in its formative years.

The new club has been officially branded Murray United FC and will enter the competition, seen as the second tier to the national A-League, next year after signing off on a licensing agreement with Football Federation Victoria.

A 12-person board is already in place and coaching positions have been advertised from today while others were looking to the corporate community to back professional teams in the men’s and women’s competition.

“The aim of the new club is not to get out and make rash signings, it is likely there will be marquee players considered for the player list,” Byatt said.

“What will sustain the club will be a very clear focus on talented locals and providing them with a chance at the elite level.

“Those that know about the game tell me that if you were to take the best 15 players from the men’s and women’s state of origin games played on Good Friday, you would have a side more than capable of matching it with any NPL club.”

La Trobe University will be the homeground for Murray United FC for the next fi ve to 10 years.

A range of elite junior teams will underpin the fl agship senior sides.

“An opportunity to participate in the elite NPL competition is one of the most exciting things to occur in our sporting history for many, many years; and there have been some outstanding sporting triumphs overthe years across the region” Byatt said.

“NPL football (soccer) is going to provide an opportunity for our high-achieving sports men and women to compete at what is effectively the national second tier of football in this country .

“This is a football platform that hasn’t been available in the past, and Murray United FC through the NPL is determined to be a part of that.

“My job is to lead the board in establishing the club during these foundation years, setting the club up to play at an elite level for many years to come — it needs to be done right, it needs to be done professionally and we need to understand that we only get one go at doing this.”

Cr Byatt said the new club would offer a pathway to the elite competition.

“We already have some fantastic community clubs under the auspices of Albury Wodonga Football Association and they will be an integral part of the step up to playing NPL,” he said.

AWFA president Craig McDonald said the new venture added further credibility to the rise of soccer in the region.

“This offers footballers another pathway into the elite level of our sport,” he said.

THE team behind the Border’s National Premier League’s venture yesterday said getting the name right had been a key consideration.

The first submission to Football Federation Victoria used the name Border FC but the team will be known as Murray United FC when it enters the competition next year.

Chairman of the club, formed by a group of Border enthusiasts, Mark Byatt said the idea was to connect to the Border’s footballing and non-footballing public.

“The name is something the directors have thought about a lot after looking for community input,” he said.

“Murray picks up on all things synonymous with the region — we want both sides of the Border united in this venture.

“Football Federation Victoria has made it clear this licence covers northern Victoria and the southern Riverina — we are a regional team.”

Byatt said the board was already working hard on promotional, football, facilities and sponsorship fronts.

“It’s great to lead an active and passionate board,” he said.

“Each director has a portfolio to focus on and we are working on each of these areas.

“There is a major emphasis on branding, marketing, media and PR — including club logo, colours, and both home and away strips.

“The football operations department is looking at expressions of interest for the technical director and coaching positions.

“La Trobe University will be the club’s immediate home ground.

“We will be doing infrastructure upgrades as we lead into the NPL season next year.

“The focus will be on lighting, seating and minor works to players’ facilities and security.

“In terms of sponsorship, we believe this offers unprecedented national exposure — every other week Murray United FC will be play in Melbourne.

“From that point of view, I don’t think there is another team or sport in our region that can offer that exposure.”

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
tbitm wrote:
Ben, I think you said at the start that South weren't really playing that well. Has this changed? Two consecutive 1-0 scores usually mean scrappy affairs but I could be wrong.

And is there a bigger buzz around the club now with the current form and potential FFA cup matches? Looked like about 1000 people at the pascoevale game, is this higher than previous years?

Because of the start we've had I think every club we play at the moment is seeing it as their chance to make some waves by breaking up the run. They are mainly filling up at the back and trying to stop us playing. It's not been the prettiest - as CT says in the interview, the win is more important than the result and the resilience of the team at the moment is terrific. Not making silly mistakes at the back (conceded a late consolation goal a couple of weeks ago and CT hammered the players in training).

I don't think the buzz is any bigger due to the FFA Cup or the NPL rather the VPL, the buzz with South is purely down to having a team that is delivering the results that we've failed to get for too long.

Also worth noting when looking at that league table - played 10, only 3 of them at home... We've got a run of 6 consecutive home games coming up soon.

Edited by Benjamin: 27/5/2014 05:44:03 PM
fair enough, I remember a similar thing when Liverpool were on a run and the mentality of the other team going into the game being 'let's be the one to break their streak' often played perfectly into our hands. Sometimes the game can be won before it even really gets going if the other team isn't mentally ready for the challenge.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

tbitm wrote:
Ben, I think you said at the start that South weren't really playing that well. Has this changed? Two consecutive 1-0 scores usually mean scrappy affairs but I could be wrong.

And is there a bigger buzz around the club now with the current form and potential FFA cup matches? Looked like about 1000 people at the pascoevale game, is this higher than previous years?

Because of the start we've had I think every club we play at the moment is seeing it as their chance to make some waves by breaking up the run. They are mainly filling up at the back and trying to stop us playing. It's not been the prettiest - as CT says in the interview, the win is more important than the result and the resilience of the team at the moment is terrific. Not making silly mistakes at the back (conceded a late consolation goal a couple of weeks ago and CT hammered the players in training).

I don't think the buzz is any bigger due to the FFA Cup or the NPL rather the VPL, the buzz with South is purely down to having a team that is delivering the results that we've failed to get for too long.

Also worth noting when looking at that league table - played 10, only 3 of them at home... We've got a run of 6 consecutive home games coming up soon.

Edited by Benjamin: 27/5/2014 05:44:03 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search