Our performance against China -- good enough to beat Japan?

Our performance against China -- good enough to beat Japan?

Author
johnsmith
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Aside from Cahill's goals, was the Socceroos performance good enough to beat Japan?
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

johnsmith wrote:
Aside from Cahill's goals, was the Socceroos performance good enough to beat Japan?

Well I think nerves at the start could have lost us the game and ability for nobody else to score toward sthe end of the game. Probably won't help our course. This team is learning to slow, but at least they're learning.

My guess no. Some sloppy incident will beat us , and there were a shit tonne.

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Definitely not whilst Bresc was on. The team performance once he left would have at least been competitive
T3X8
T3X8
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Kamaryn wrote:
Definitely not whilst Bresc was on. The team performance once he left would have at least been competitive

Yeah I agree. I love the guy so much for all he's done in the past but looking forwards he's not really up to it anymore.

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Iran would be a far bigger issue for us than Japan
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Based on the first half, no not even close. The second half we were better but we need to be at the top of our game to hang with Japan. They are a classy side with a lot of weapons to contain. To do it for 90 minutes will be difficult.

Need to play our strongest 11 on the park. I have a feeling we might revert to 2 holding midfielders in Jedi and Milligan but I think that would be a mistake. I thought Sainsbury was awesome tonight and with Spira coming back our central defence should be rock solid. I prefer Behich to Davidson on the left fullback. NO BRESIANO at all anywhere. Everyone else coming in can do the business. I can see Juric coming off the bench last 30-35 minutes especially if we are a goal down but I wouldnt start him. Should be a cracker of a game.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
If Jedinak pulls his finger out like we know he's capable of and Bresc doesn't start than yes.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Anything can happen. Japan have problems of their own and maybe UAE will exploit them. You should never peak too early in a tournament so the next game is when we have to hit everything to perfection and play our best 11. Should Wilkinson retain his spot?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

God no.

Japan would have scored a goal every time Bresc had hold of the ball.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
God no.

Japan would have scored a goal every time Bresc had hold of the ball.

-PB

Not scored but missed 100% clear goal scoring oppurtunities.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Stop posting.

Did we play Japan? No. How can you draw a comparison between how we set up and played against China and how we set up and play against Japan. It's such a stupid fucking question. And obviously, by the way you set up the question, you are fishing for negative reactions.

Fuck off.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Stop posting.

Did we play Japan? No. How can you draw a comparison between how we set up and played against China and how we set up and play against Japan. It's such a stupid fucking question. And obviously, by the way you set up the question, you are fishing for negative reactions.

Fuck off.

This. It's a whole new ball game.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Stop posting.

Fuck off.

Huh, Chill dude, question is legit. I see no problem with it.

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

TSF has had a few tonight :lol:
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Stop posting.

Fuck off.

I'll try the more toned down version. People thought we were going to beat South Korea because of our performances against Kuwait/Oman in comparison to their performances.

People thought we were going to get battered against the Dutch after they put 5 passed Spain at the WC.

These comparisons are illogical and don't make any sense as football has too many permutations during a game to try and draw such a linear comparisons. It just doesn't work.

Let's just be happy we made it to the Semi's. =d>
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:

Free beer for every goal at the pub. \:d/

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

RBBAnonymous wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Stop posting.

Fuck off.

Huh, Chill dude, question is legit. I see no problem with it.

Coach against oman the same way you coach against japan.

Get back to me with the results and see how the comparisons stack up.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

johnszasz wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Stop posting.

Fuck off.

This. It's a whole new ball game.

Thank you. Another Sainsbury believer understands. No surprise.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Wouldn't have a clue atm. Utterly pissed and it's a miracle i'm on 442, let alone made it home. Keen to watch the replay in the morning for a full decentric style breakdown.

Viennese Vuck

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Wouldn't have a clue atm. Utterly pissed and it's a miracle i'm on 442, let alone made it home. Keen to watch the replay in the morning for a full decentric style breakdown.

:lol:

Tbf his breakdowns are class

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
God no.

Japan would have scored a goal every time Jedinak had hold of the ball.

-PB

Fixed. That first half by Mile must be the worst half of football ever played by an Australian captain.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

If you weren't in swan st you missed out.

Viennese Vuck

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

melbourne_terrace wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

If you weren't in swan st you missed out.

Nah im not THAT into the national team.

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Lets go UAE

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

clockwork orange wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
God no.

-PB

Fixed. That first half by Mile must be the worst half of football ever played by an Australian captain.

Pretty sure Bresc turned it over more.

Mile just had a poor touch and flung some wayward passes.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

gk99
gk99
Amateur
Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)

Assuming Japan win tonight of course, Id say they'd go in as favourites. They're not playing their usual style of football and I think that hurts them a bit, but they have still looked quite sharp. If they can be more ruthless up front we could be in a bit of trouble, especially with our slow starts.

For me, we'll need to remove the slow start and hopefully score an early goal so we can get into our rhythm.

Edited by gk99: 23/1/2015 07:34:00 AM
Cityslicker10
Cityslicker10
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

1st half no. 2nd half possibly.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I'll be really interested to see how Japan play against us. Worst Korea & China decided that we were too lethal against Oman & Kuwait, so sat a lot of men behind the ball with the aim to make it hard for us to break them down + attempt to counter. Japan I don't think will play as "negatively".

I thought, as many have said, Bresc looked not up to it last night. What I think we were missing was McKay - his mobility gives us so much. If we have that same lineup but with McKay in place of Bresc (and the obvious exclusion of Wilkinson, who is dreadful at this level), I think we should be good. Japan know how to play the ball around, but with that potential lineup we'll be so mobile that we'll close the ball down all night, and I feel like we'll be tough to break down because of how much pressure we'll be putting on the ball.

If we start Troisi, I'll be less confident.
roarys mane
roarys mane
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
clockwork orange wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
God no.

-PB

Pretty sure Bresc turned it over more.

Mile just had a poor touch and flung some wayward passes.

-PB

I have faith Jedi will be sweet vs Japan. Needed that tonight to get some confidence back in the ankle. Also thought getting that slice of cheese early made him hold back a bit.
batfink
batfink
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

All this thread confirms is the about 99% of people on football forums

1. have no idea about football
2. have never played football
3. have never coached football
4. have no understanding about shape or setting up a team to play against certain opposition.....

lock thread please........
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search