Dribbling compilation of great players ( and how to do the techniques)

Dribbling compilation of great players ( and how to do the techniques)...

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1YJNubTC8

Zidane

Zizou has less pace than many of the other players featured so far.

He has all the other attributes of the other players, although not the speed.

Zidane uses strength a lot more, being harder to shake off the ball. He looks like he has immense core strength, although puny in the shoulders and arms when he takes his shirt off.

Zidane uses:

* Brazilian step overs

* Reverse step overs

* Body swerves

* Matthews Cuts

* La Croquetas

* The Zidane 360 degrees turn

* Sole of the foot dribbling

* Ronaldo Chop

* Push pull or stop/start that PV4 uses when playing in the NSW NPL.

* Zidane also uses what is known in BSS as the Jairzinho Turn

In this following video, some of Zidane's first touches are insanely difficult.=d>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mrCQRJGhA

Edited by Decentric: 11/5/2015 12:12:55 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPy8ol_2DKQ

This is another of those great 1v1 exercises on the pitch, which develops both Attacking and Defensive 1v1 skills. It would be interesting to hear how many players viewing this video have done this on the training ground?

Unlike the video, don't have players inactive like Alf Galustian does. He has two players watching, which isn't good. They are wasting valuable training time.

However, when he has two lots of players starting from all four sides of the pitch, with two contests, it is a realistic match scenario. Therefore it is useful.

Edited by Decentric: 11/5/2015 09:31:35 AM

Edited by Decentric: 11/5/2015 05:28:51 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGGgQW2V-k

Roberto Baggio

This mainly features his superb Running With The Ball in open spaces.

Like most other aforementioned players he has superb balance, acceleration, changes of pace, keeping his head up, taking big touches when ball carrying in open spaces, then takes little touches ball carrying in more confined space, still getting his head up. Baggio changes direction well when running with the ball too.

Essentially, he uses the first five techniques in the 1v1 thread for attacking evasion skills, that FFA SAP deems important:

*Shoulder feint

*Matthews Cut

*Standard Cut

*Sole of the foot dribbling

*He also uses Brazilian and reverse step overs.

Baggio is rather right footed, often using a shoulder feint to go round the outside of a player on their left side and a Standard Cut to go round a player's right side.

Gee some of those tackles on him were savage.

Edited by Decentric: 12/5/2015 08:26:45 AM
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCZH1eYr9A

At last, I have a good demonstration for the Matthews Cut, based on the great English player's signature move.

The foot touches the ball with the inside of the foot, then the outside of the same foot. The original touch inside of the foot touch should wrong foot one's opponent.

Some players seem to prefer this , and find it easier than the body swerve/shoulder feint. Thierry Henry and Fernando Torrees like it, as does George Best.

Many players in Asian opposition do this better than us.

As an exercise one can repeat this move over and over- inside of the foot, outside of the foot, inside, outside, inside, outside, forever moving forwards, touching the ball at about 45 degrees with each touch.

Then do it with the non-preferred foot.

This is a key technical move for 1v1 evasion.

This coach in the video demonstrates, instead of talk too much, like many of the defensive skill coaches in videos.

I'd also assume that many players viewing this can do this pretty well.

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 10:33:27 AM

I've done this technique a few times when 1v1 with a defender within shooting distance of goal. The quick shift inside then out usually gives me at least half a yard to open up some space and get a shot away
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAVTd3jVe8

More Cruyff magic, not all of it dribbling and ball carrying.

Enjoy.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApMH14H4Cdg

Garrincha.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T7JanWxINM

Rivelino.

Demonstrating the Elastico, Brazilian Elastic or Flip flap in games against defenders.

Brilliant move.=d>

Like New Signing, I'm frustrated I cannot do it, no matter how much I've practised.](*,)
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALouroUFFkI

One opinion of the 10 best dribblers of all time.

In the first at least we can see Stan Matthews use his body swerves/shoulder feints and his signature Matthews' Cuts.

Check those pitches out covered with snow.

Edited by Decentric: 27/7/2015 11:19:16 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srx8rZc1jcs

More Cruyff magic and his football life story.

Enjoy.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Had a highly disappointing season coaching this year. Probably won't do it again to be honest. Haven't enjoyed it and haven't felt like the kids have learned much (because they haven't wanted to IMO).

As much as I was looking forward to coaching an older team, on reflection younger teams are much, much better to coach.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:
Had a highly disappointing season coaching this year. Probably won't do it again to be honest. Haven't enjoyed it and haven't felt like the kids have learned much (because they haven't wanted to IMO).

As much as I was looking forward to coaching an older team, on reflection younger teams are much, much better to coach.

The younger children are, 5, 6, 7 years old, the more enthusiastic they are.

However, what they require is pretty simple.

Teenagers are more interesting to coach in terms of content (tactics and technique), but they are nowhere near as rewarding or enthusiastic.

I usually keep all age groups very, very busy. That is non-stop, apart from a few 1 minute drink breaks. Basically, I flog them. It works with all age groups, including adults.

What age did you coach, EG?

Edited by Decentric: 2/8/2015 05:58:52 PM
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I coached U16s this season, and sadly it was such a mixed team in terms of ability and willingness. Half the team were playing up an age group and none of the team was graded, so it was a tough year. I wanted to try more complex stuff, but I had players who by the end of the season still struggling with roll overs and Cryuff turns (stuff I had mastered and was using in games at 10). These boys had just clearly never been coached well before and it made my job shit. I had to stick to basic stuff all year sadly.

My experience with U9s and U10s was completely different. I loved that and the boys and girls I had then were far more talented and mouldable than my U16s.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
I coached U16s this season, and sadly it was such a mixed team in terms of ability and willingness. Half the team were playing up an age group and none of the team was graded, so it was a tough year. I wanted to try more complex stuff, but I had players who by the end of the season still struggling with roll overs and Cryuff turns (stuff I had mastered and was using in games at 10). These boys had just clearly never been coached well before and it made my job shit. I had to stick to basic stuff all year sadly.

My experience with U9s and U10s was completely different. I loved that and the boys and girls I had then were far more talented and mouldable than my U16s.

Mate, that is a classic example of what the national curriculum is all about. Skill acquisition from 9-13 years of age which is the "golden age" of motor learning. There is a strongly held view from the FFA that if the kids miss out on acquiring the skills at this age, it is pretty much too late. That is why it is such a great age group to coach but there is a massive responsibility to get it right too.

IMO - while this is true if they want to be top players, most kids won't be. Lots just loving playing football and being part of a team and a club. Just because they aren't going to play professional football, doesn't mean they can't have a great "career" playing amateur or social football with their mates in community clubs. It is often the "triers" who end up taking on the essential roles at clubs on the committee, coaching etc and are the heart and soul of a community club and their team.

I'm on to my second cycle of taking a team through from 9-13 and the group of kids I have at the moment are fantastic. We're the second 10s team, playing in the second top "league" (although there are no points. league table etc) and the kids are really working hard and having fun. We have only lost one game this season, draw two and the passing, movement, and skill level as improved markedly since the start of the season. As a result I never dread going to training.

I guess my point is, you can only do so much with some players at 16 and above. They are going to make mistakes but if they keep their work rate and effort levels up, you can be happy that you are doing a good job.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Yeah, I've thought about that all season.

In our trial game this season, half my old team (now 14) played against my current team and just showed them up totally. Was one of my proudest coaching moments to see kids I coached in 9s and 10s giving hell to kids 2 years older than them.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:

This age, 15-16, can be a really tough gig.

By this time the players have realised they are not going to go a long way in the game. With other issues outside football becoming significant, few want to work on becoming better players.

The younger ones still have enthusiasm at 9-10.

Edited by Decentric: 4/8/2015 02:24:11 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6FMev3I6NY

George Best.

The old video has disappeared.

Best uses;

a right body swerve,

left and right foot cuts,

has tight, close ball control when moving slowly, takes big touches when ball carrying fast in open space, has great balance, keeps his head up, uses changes of pace, similar to Messi, Thierry Henri and Cruyff (apart from not using the Cruyff cut/turn).

Yes his techniques are similar to Messi's, but his stride is longer.

Edited by Decentric: 5/8/2015 02:55:47 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

These days there are a lot of youtube videos on this sort of thing.

Hopefully, more posters can load more great players we have not thought of onto this thread.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

By this time the players have realised they are not going to go a long way in the game. With other issues outside football becoming significant, few want to work on becoming better players.

Have you considered coaching a female side? I did it a few years ago and it was extremely rewarding. Most were good players and those that were of a lower standard appreciated being treated seriously and given the opportunity to develop as footballers.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Just love seeing the attacking players of the past ! Individual brilliance.
A skill imo that is getting stifled by the current/new coaching methods and tactics of todays game.
I was heartened watching young Gersbach last night - he showed his ability last season and I look forward seeing this kid develop but I hope the "system" doesn't change his game too much - reminded me of another great attacking LB we had for years in Lazaridis.
We don't have enough of these type of players today.
I understand the method to the madness of todays curriculum but as I said I feel its stifling individual brilliance - or allowing a kid/player to play their own game at times turning a game on its head more so than not.

Love Football

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

M.L. wrote:
A skill imo that is getting stifled by the current/new coaching methods and tactics of todays game.
I was heartened watching young Gersbach last night - he showed his ability last season and I look forward seeing this kid develop but I hope the "system" doesn't change his game too much - reminded me of another great attacking LB we had for years in Lazaridis.
I understand the method to the madness of todays curriculum but as I said I feel its stifling individual brilliance - or allowing a kid/player to play their own game at times turning a game on its head more so than not.

As I understand it, players' individual brilliance should not be being stifled with the heavy onus on 1v1 attacking skills in the FFA National Curriculum.

One FFA staff coach, also a NC writer for the Skills Acquisition Program I know, was thrilled to see a few under 17s demonstrating this quality in the World Cup.

With the case even of some NTC coaches, I don't think they know how to coach it. They prefer to leave it to others coaching kids before them.

There could be some who how to coach this. Just not in the case of some I've seen.

I was blown out with Gersbach last night.=d>
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Crusader wrote:
Decentric wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Have you considered coaching a female side? I did it a few years ago and it was extremely rewarding. Most were good players and those that were of a lower standard appreciated being treated seriously and given the opportunity to develop as footballers.

I've spent more time coaching females aged 10 up to adults into their thirties than males.

You are bang on the money with your last sentence.:)

Ultimately, I'd like to see females coached by females. There are just too many males around coaching women's football who are distracted by females for the wrong reasons.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
M.L. wrote:

As I understand it, players' individual brilliance should not be being stifled with the heavy onus on 1v1 attacking skills in the FFA National Curriculum.

One FFA staff coach, also a NC writer for the Skills Acquisition Program I know, was thrilled to see a few under 17s demonstrating this quality in the World Cup.

With the case even of some NTC coaches, I don't think they know how to coach it. They prefer to leave it to others coaching kids before them.

There could be some who how to coach this. Just not in the case of some I've seen.

Thanks Decentric, apart from MV's clinical finishing (barring a deflection) the kid was the highlight from the sideline.
He took on some pretty established HAL players with pace,turns and skill and his cross's deserved finishing more than the 1 he created.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

M.L. wrote:
Decentric wrote:
M.L. wrote:

Thanks Decentric, apart from MV's clinical finishing (barring a deflection) the kid was the highlight from the sideline.
He took on some pretty established HAL players with pace,turns and skill and his cross's deserved finishing more than the 1 he created.

The current Joeys displayed quite solid 1v1 skills they would have spent no more than 1 or at least for some 2 years in the new coaching methods(SAP,) the scary part wait till for the next gens who would have spent more years through the SSGs and the SAP programs, we can only produce better attackers from here.

My only concern is how we can add with the increasingly better 1v1 skills and in general better technical level with a improvement in game intelligence level and improvement in decision making, that's the next level in our football development.

I also would increase SSGs up to u13 and focus more on 8v8 once they reach the full pitch at 14 and bigger presence although improving on futsal and to top that more training year round.

When we reach a level where the emphasis with every coach, player and parent where the game is about the technique, creativity and game smarts then Aus Football has come of age in youth development.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Bump.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Fundamental 1v1's is not the same as the one's you see in highlights .

As in basketball you learn the basic , it really is up to the player based on the players ability and position, to further there trick bag. Brazil obviously copy the greats of their country.

What are fundamental 1v1 in soccer/football ?

Basketball it is:
- Jab step
- fake shot
- fake pass
- if your a forward @ high/low post, shoulder fake is also taught (wow)

- Triple threat position , although this is more the act of being able to do all of the above and place the defender on the back foot instead of in your face trying to grab the ball off of you. Shaking the defender off if you can picture that.

Won't be long before we start seeing screens & pick & roll in soccer (hope to god not )

Did I just make basketball sound boring ? Well it may seem funny but that is the only thing taught in Bball at many top levels :lol:

The difference between good and very good can be defined by the players who can develop better 1v1. Basic stuff , I see a lot of 1v1 in soccer that seems like basic fundamental 1v1. ie. fake one direction then go the other. step over? fake pass. what others could you squeeze into fundamental learning. surely not all tricks

I put this to you Decentric. Perhaps it is not our players poor 1v1 ability but their ability to protect and shield the ball while performing these things that is the real issue.

Edited by highkick05: 1/3/2016 03:06:13 PM

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqPEpeokCg

Here is a youtube clip of the Brazilian Elastic, or Elastico.

Ronaldinho is performing it in match scenarios.

It is weird as to who can do it. A number of players I've coached, or players, who can hardly do any of what I find the easier easier evasion 1v1 techniques, can do this. They cannot necessarily execute it in match scenarios, but can individually with no player resistance. This is a move that New Signing and I find virtually impossible.

It is a brilliant evasion move. I have never seen one Australian professional player do it successfully on the pitch. It is a specific Brazilian move. A plethora of Brazilians can do it well in match scenarios, but I've seen few outside that county execute it successfully.

In the second post I've put up in this thread, Ronaldo is so good at it, he even nutmegs people with the second part of the move with the inside part of the foot .=d>

Edited by Decentric: 2/5/2015 09:40:06 AM

Harry Novillo did the Brazilian Elastic superbly at about the 87 minute mark against Nix tonight.=d>
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALouroUFFkI

Top 10 dribblers of all time.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qTrxpqZRQ&ebc=ANyPxKoImTPJtIQ3prNP92zvJAlwFqH2aNKtaPG8GjxGzhhdBL4mAWjh4Tju8zweLVCB1hxA_CwvhJW8OfvWZMCQKBsk3mlBtQ&nohtml5=False

Not a bad compilation here - Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zidane, et al.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

One player who was  a great a dribbler and whose video I cannot transfer to here, is Celtic's Jimmy Johnstone.

I think Localstar might have extolled his ability some time ago.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search