Sydney Stadium Stuff

Sydney Stadium Stuff

Author
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
karta - 25 Jun 2020 5:01 PM
paladisious - 25 Jun 2020 3:47 PM

Whatever attitude you imagine is being conveyed via the text on a screen is on you. (ie: In your second to last post I had a laugh and was happy to leave it at that...)
If you cannot discern between someone referencing a stereotype and someone being directly called something that is on you also.
It seems to me that you just were looking for an argument. Next time just send an angry PM instead of taking a thread off-topic.

Relax, I said I object to the way you made your comments, I didn't say you called anyone anything.

I stand by my (on topic) point about football infrastructure being spread around the country.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paladisious - 25 Jun 2020 6:18 PM
josh sydneyfc - 25 Jun 2020 6:04 PM

Not as badly as the plan for stadiums in NSW.

This is a living thread. SCG Trust stuff to come and NRL urban stadium demand in the future 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

A new excuse for NSW to not upgrade Homebush emerges:

Sydney emerges as shock contender to host AFL grand final
Eamonn Tiernan
7Sport
Published: 25/06/2020
Updated: 25 June 2020 10:45 am

Sydney’s ANZ Stadium is making a bold play to host the AFL and NRL grand finals on the same weekend in a move set to enrage Victorians.

The MCG has grand final hosting rights until 2057, but the worsening coronavirus pandemic in Melbourne has forced officials to look into contingency plans.

Sydney powerbrokers have swooped on the opportunity to host the AFL decider in the Harbour City for the first time in history, declaring the 2000 Olympics stadium is open for business.

High level conversations have taken place between the AFL and ANZ Stadium officials to confirm the ground’s availability to host footy after an $810 million plan to make it a rectangle arena was scrapped, according to News Corp.

ANZ Stadium’s 80,000-strong capacity will be the largest oval stadium in Australia if the MCG is ruled out.

Collingwood premiership great Tony Shaw said it was a no-brainer to look at other venues if they could offer greater crowd capacity than the MCG.

“I think it’s quite logical that we look to other venues,” he said.

“I’m a traditionalist at heart. I’m a day Grand Final, MCG every time of the week. But I think it’s logical that we do look elsewhere.

NSW Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres added: “I expect the AFL Grand Final to be at the MCG as usual but if that’s not possible I’m sure we could help them out and have it here in Sydney.”

But Sydney is not Melbourne’s only rival bidder, with Adelaide’s chances of hosting the AFL grand final boosted thanks to a local restrictions lift.

South Australia’s Premier Steven Marshall announced on Tuesday that Adelaide Oval would be given the green like to welcome crowds of up to 27,000 from Monday.

That figure’s likely to hit full capacity come the pointy end of the season.

7NEWS understands Adelaide Oval would have as much chance to host the premiership match as Optus Stadium in Perth, which has been granted a capacity of 30,000.

Both are being touted as alternative venues come the season’s end.

But Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett isn’t sold on Perth’s audacious bid.

“We’d rather have the grand final on the beach than go to a state that doesn’t want people from the east over there,” he told 7NEWS.

St Kilda’s Brad Hill told 7NEWS he wouldn’t be against playing a decider away from the MCG if it meant fans could come out and support the game.

“It’s a tough one. I would love to have fans, definitely,” he said.

“I reckon most people would want to have fans when they’re playing, especially if it’s a finals series.

“There’s nothing better than having all the fans there watching and cheering you on, it gets you up ready to play a bit more.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-emerges-as-shock-contender-to-host-afl-grand-final-c-1124122

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

paladisious - 24 Jun 2020 1:14 AM

Maybe I'm just a whinging Vic but this really needs more attention. Australian football shouldn't be putting another cent into stadia in NSW if it's going to be controlled by a board including John Hartigan (who leaked the list of banned A-League fans to his partner Rebecca Wilson) and Alan Jones (who compared A-League fans to the Paris terrorists) and not a single voice for football. NSW taxpayers should be emailing their representatives asking why they allow such an inequitable situation.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

That is very concerning. One NRL reporter was saying it was a “dangerously close to common sense” decision, but the only real reason he provides is because it means Souths can eventually move out of ANZ and back to Allianz. I mean it sounds like it makes sense having one body making decisions rather than two competing, but when the board is stacked with people who hate football as Pala mentioned, it doesn’t sound good. Is there any way this could work out for football? 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

paladisious - 25 Jun 2020 6:54 PM
paladisious - 24 Jun 2020 1:14 AM

Maybe I'm just a whinging Vic but this really needs more attention. Australian football shouldn't be putting another cent into stadia in NSW if it's going to be controlled by a board including John Hartigan (who leaked the list of banned A-League fans to his partner Rebecca Wilson) and Alan Jones (who compared A-League fans to the Paris terrorists) and not a single voice for football. NSW taxpayers should be emailing their representatives asking why they allow such an inequitable situation.

On paper it initially appears to be a merger that makes sense.

However given the recent cancellation of the ANZ redevelopment and the SCG Trust's track record it stinks big time. Auntie Gladys just giving her buddies more and more. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

“Sydney has put plans for a new $70 million AFL headquarters on hold because of the financial impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Swans had planned to share a redeveloped Royal Hall of Industries building at Moore Park - next to the Sydney Cricket Ground - with netball’s NSW Swifts.

But the centre of excellence plan will not come to fruition any time soon, with the Swans pulling out of a deal with the NSW Government and Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-sydney-swans-70-million-headquarters-plan-swans-withdraw-from-deal-moore-park-plan-centre-of-excellence/news-story/f44e9a7fd0301c9653eab140276f491c

I think this will back back on the agenda.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

“Sydney’s new stadium’s boss Tony Shepherd is planning to turn the Harbour City into the new sporting capital of Australia by bringing in global superstars to fill our venues.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/stadium-boss-reveals-plans-to-make-sydney-nations-home-of-sport/news-story/22b09a58019d83de3c13f88f8aaedd81

“Australian football Legend Kevin Sheedy has laughed off suggestions Sydney could replace Melbourne as the sporting capital of Australia.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-legend-kevin-sheedy-welcomes-sydney-pitch-to-dethrone-melbourne-as-the-sports-capital-of-australia/news-story/7c295856c35cc26b5153c3d60b697659

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

“The defence rests, your honour #StadiumSplurge.
Oh do stop it , you mongrels! For I am not the broken record here. It is the bloody NSW government and the chieftains of the various football fiefdoms, that keep setting new records for chutzpah, who are doing the damage!
I refer, of course, to the situation with the Olympic Stadium at Homebush. You will recall how just two years ago both the gummint and the chieftains were saying how, despite it being good enough just 20 years ago, to host the best Olympics ever, it was now over the hill!

Yup. The way they told it, the stadium was practically a danger to shipping. It was so inadequate, soooooo appalling, it was a matter of the highest urgency that the 20-year old stadium be torn down and replaced at a cost of well over a billion dollars? But now?

Well, just a fortnight ago, as it turns out, one of the two most powerful sporting organisations in the world, FIFA, announced that after taking everything into consideration, our Olympic stadium was actually good enough to host the Women’s World Cup Final.

And this week? Well, this week politicians and chieftains are falling over themselves to spruik the stadium’s charms as a great potential venue to host the AFL grand final, if the plague does not abate down south!

GWS Giants chairman Tony Shepherd has urged the AFL to play the grand final in Sydney if COVID-19 forces the code's showpiece away from the MCG.
Let’s go with you, Tony Shepherd, former chairman of the SCG Trust, for your views on its virtues:“It's got 70,000-plus capacity, it's an oval, the site of the world's best modern Olympic games . . .” Shepherd told the Herald “it's a very deeply emotional stadium for Australians. I think it's the most sensible place to do it in.”

I do, too.

But seriously, folks. NOW, do you think those of us who said knocking down a 20-year-old state-of-the-art stadium might have been a tad over the top? If it is good enough for those two mega events, surely it is . . . good enough not to knock over.

Fire at will. In my trailer, etc.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-the-broncos-may-have-to-get-bitter-before-they-get-better-20200710-p55azu.html

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

scott20won - 10 Jul 2020 7:58 PM
Oh do stop it , you mongrels! For I am not the broken record here. It is the bloody NSW government and the chieftains of the various football fiefdoms, that keep setting new records for chutzpah, who are doing the damage!
I refer, of course, to the situation with the Olympic Stadium at Homebush. You will recall how just two years ago both the gummint and the chieftains were saying how, despite it being good enough just 20 years ago, to host the best Olympics ever, it was now over the hill!

Yup. The way they told it, the stadium was practically a danger to shipping. It was so inadequate, soooooo appalling, it was a matter of the highest urgency that the 20-year old stadium be torn down and replaced at a cost of well over a billion dollars? But now?

Well, just a fortnight ago, as it turns out, one of the two most powerful sporting organisations in the world, FIFA, announced that after taking everything into consideration, our Olympic stadium was actually good enough to host the Women’s World Cup Final.

And this week? Well, this week politicians and chieftains are falling over themselves to spruik the stadium’s charms as a great potential venue to host the AFL grand final, if the plague does not abate down south!

GWS Giants chairman Tony Shepherd has urged the AFL to play the grand final in Sydney if COVID-19 forces the code's showpiece away from the MCG.
Let’s go with you, Tony Shepherd, former chairman of the SCG Trust, for your views on its virtues:“It's got 70,000-plus capacity, it's an oval, the site of the world's best modern Olympic games . . .” Shepherd told the Herald “it's a very deeply emotional stadium for Australians. I think it's the most sensible place to do it in.”

I do, too.

But seriously, folks. NOW, do you think those of us who said knocking down a 20-year-old state-of-the-art stadium might have been a tad over the top? If it is good enough for those two mega events, surely it is . . . good enough not to knock over.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-the-broncos-may-have-to-get-bitter-before-they-get-better-20200710-p55azu.html

The point of course being that the fact that it can host both Football and AFL is half the problem, just fucking wafflers who saw the piece of shite being built that way in the first place.

Chances of AFL final being held in Sydney = 0

Beaten by Eldar

karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

I do, too.

Someone should tell Bandana Boy that Stade de Oz isn't over the hill. it's not fit for purpose.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

karta - 11 Jul 2020 11:16 AM

Someone should tell Bandana Boy that Stade de Oz isn't over the hill. it's not fit for purpose.

Exactly. All of the top 15 sport attendances at Stadium Australia since 2003 listed on Austadiums are by the rectangular codes (unfortunately that's where the list stops on the site, but I bet it's much longer in reality). The AFL has only had crowds there larger than the SCG's 48.6k capacity on 12 occasions, while no form of cricket has ever cracked 60k there, and it hasn't been reused for athletics at all. In hindsight, the plan all along should have been to convert the stadium to a permanent rectangular configuration after the Olympics, just like the City of Manchester stadium was after the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

paladisious - 11 Jul 2020 4:53 PM
karta - 11 Jul 2020 11:16 AM

Exactly. All of the top 15 sport attendances at Stadium Australia since 2003 listed on Austadiums are by the rectangular codes (unfortunately that's where the list stops on the site, but I bet it's much longer in reality). The AFL has only had crowds there larger than the SCG's 48.6k capacity on 12 occasions, while no form of cricket has ever cracked 60k there, and it hasn't been reused for athletics at all. In hindsight, the plan all along should have been to convert the stadium to a permanent rectangular configuration after the Olympics, just like the City of Manchester stadium was after the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

Exactly, but for some reason all the goverments just unbuckle their belt for the AFL to have a stadium
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

“Work on the A$730 million ($523.48 million) rebuild of the Sydney Football Stadium will get underway in earnest this week and is on schedule for completion in September 2022, the New South Wales government said on Wednesday.”

https://in.reuters.com/article/sport-australia-stadiums/sydney-football-stadium-rebuild-underway-despite-covid-19-outbreak-idINKCN2510AL

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Arnold was in attendance alongside NSW Origin coach Brad Fittler and former Wallabies star Phil Waugh to mark the first pouring of the concrete slab-on-ground structure.

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/graham-arnold-joins-rugby-greats-sfs-construction-milestone

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

NRL is pushing for more smaller rectangle grounds all around sydney. Could be benefit to us, but also a hindrance as clubs will be less likely to own their own stadiums.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/more-bankwests-barilaro-reveals-government-will-back-nrl-suburban-stadiums-20200810-p55kdy.html

'More Bankwests': Barilaro reveals government will back NRL suburban stadiums

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has revealed the NRL's bold push for as many as four or five new 20,000-seat stadiums in Sydney has the backing of the state government, saying: "We're going back to basics".

In a development that all but guarantees this year's grand final will remain at ANZ Stadium, Barilaro on Monday said the Berejiklian government was "absolutely" supportive of the NRL's boutique stadia strategy, which proposes multiple "mini Bankwest stadiums" be delivered around the city over the next 10 years including a new venue at Liverpool.

"I think we're going back to basics, back to the past where that tribalism is actually what the competition needs in a way. We're seeing upgrades at Brookvale, you've got [the new] Parramatta stadium. If we've got an opportunity to do three or four or five more Bankwests, well that's got to be great for the game long term, great for the community and great for that competition."

Advertisement

The NRL had previously targeted as many as four new stadiums, with seating capacity of up to 20,000 and a cost of between $150 million and $200m each, following the government's abandoning of the $800m redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Brookvale Oval, Penrith and Kogarah are locations being discussed for rebuilds while a new venue at Liverpool that could play host to Canterbury, Wests Tigers and possibly South Sydney is also among the options.

John Barilaro at League Central on Monday.

John Barilaro at League Central on Monday.CREDIT:NICK MOIR.

The NRL had sought a commitment from government to its vision of restoring tribalism via suburban venues in return for keeping the grand final in Sydney.

The code has a deal with the state government to play the decider in the city until 2042 but that was signed on the basis of ANZ Stadium being transformed into a rectangular ground along with the construction of a new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park.

The scrapping of the ANZ redevelopment means that deal is technically off the table but Barilaro was optimistic about a new memorandum of understanding being struck.

"I'm confident the grand final will be played at ANZ Stadium," he said as the NSW government and the NRL announced a game between New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle in Tamworth on August 29.

Manly's home ground is in line for a rebuild.

Manly's home ground is in line for a rebuild.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

"We've had a long-term agreement with the NRL and we'll work through those details. But I'm very confident."

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said on Monday he could not comment on talks with government because they were commercial in confidence.

But he has previously made clear his desire to take the game back to the suburbs and his view that a range of new venues would be community assets, not simply football grounds.

Barilaro said the details of the government's backing were still being thrashed out.

"[The NRL] will be seeking some level of contribution from the state government. We'll also be hitting up the feds I suppose along the journey," Barilaro said.

"We're at the early stages of that conversation but absolutely there is an appetite for it.

He maintained, though, that Sydney's retention of the grand final was not contingent on the government splashing out immediately on suburban grounds.

"They are two separate things but they want to know where the government stands … what's the long-term vision," Barilaro said.

"Peter and the NRL, everyone has been working really well together. This has been a tough year. You could use that to leverage each other but we're not

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

FFA and the Sydney Clubs need to get on the front foot here. A potential stadium in Liverpool could fuck with the Campbelltown Stadium upgrade unless Macarthur are open to moving there.

The game would have benefited on the front foot from having a Homebush that wasn't shit for big Socceroos games and we should be pushing for some of the saved funds from that project to go into guaranteeing the building of a screen at the SFS. Also any new grounds that are built must have a safe standing system in place like Bankwest.

Viennese Vuck

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

The suburban grounds plan actually works better for football that for NRL.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

”NSW Government backs NRL’s boutique stadium strategy

....V’landys has previously proposed as many as four new boutique stadiums with seating capacity of up to 20,000 and a cost of between $150 million and $200 million each.

Venues discussed have included Brookvale Oval (Manly), Panthers Stadium (Penrith) and Jubilee Stadium (Kogarah), while a previously-proposed new stadium at Liverpool in Sydney’s west (also referred to as Oasis Stadium) could be built, to host the Canterbury Bulldogs and potentially the Wests Tigers and/or South Sydney Rabbitohs.

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro revealed to The Sydney Morning Herald “The government has an appetite for the ground renewal program that the NRL has put forward”

"I think we're going back to basics, back to the past where that tribalism is actually what the competition needs in a way. We're seeing upgrades at Brookvale, you've got [the new] Parramatta stadium. If we've got an opportunity to do three or four or five more Bankwest’s, well that's got to be great for the game long term, great for the community and great for that competition."

https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=809#google_vignette
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

would a Liverpool stadium work for Macarthur?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Not a crumb for football, of course.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

paladisious - 11 Aug 2020 3:09 PM
Not a crumb for football, of course.

States in article about Stadium Australia being cancelled.

Now watch SFC try to move to Kogarah after they sides with SCG against FFA...

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

scott20won - 11 Aug 2020 2:55 PM

Or even WSW?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

scott20won - 11 Aug 2020 3:13 PM

Or even WSW?

no point changing from Bankwest now set in stone pardon the pun for WSW.
Liverpool would work for MacArthur to me but someone may say otherwise.
Its a 20mins drive from Cambeltown to Liverpool up the M31, 19k's.

Love Football

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Dimwits.
They're not going to build a 20k stadium for $150k.
Four stadiums will set them back at least $1 billion with little prospect of even getting half that back.
NRL is taking the NSW government for a ride, and Australian Football should not expect to get anything other than crumbs out of it.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

CS - 11 Aug 2020 12:26 PM
The suburban grounds plan actually works better for football that for NRL.

Something about metrics, fishing where fish are and other rubbish.

Member since 2008.

heyitsrobbie1984
heyitsrobbie1984
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

Theres no way in hell Macarthur FC is going to move from Campbelltown stadium to liverpool. i just dont see that happening
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

bettega - 11 Aug 2020 5:20 PM
Dimwits.
They're not going to build a 20k stadium for $150k.
Four stadiums will set them back at least $1 billion with little prospect of even getting half that back.
NRL is taking the NSW government for a ride, and Australian Football should not expect to get anything other than crumbs out of it.

It depends on the stadium. If you do something like Hindmarsh but with roofs it could be a lot cheaper than that. And many of the grounds don't have to be new-builds, they can just be renovations to modernise them (e.g. Brookvale, Penrith).

If I were to pick four grounds, I would go for: Campbelltown, Brookvale, Cronulla and Penrith. Campbelltown has a full-time A-League side and some NRL matches (Wests Tigers could move more games there if the stadium is upgraded). The other three have full-time NRL sides who are never going to leave, and could potentially host second division football teams (e.g. Manly Utd, Sutherland Sharks and Blacktown City or a new Penrith side). Bulldogs and Souths can stay at the Olympic Stadium.

One thing I hope this does is get rid of the grass hills. NRL fans seem to have a nostalgic fondness for them, but they're an embarrassment. Apart from a small hill in Adelaide Oval, I think NSW is now the only place in the world that has fully professional sporting matches played in stadiums with grass hills.
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Liverpool is not in Macarthur, so no. It would also encroach too much on Wanderers territory. Campbelltown Stadium is perfectly situated for the new team, it just needs some upgrades (wouldn't even have to cost that much seeing as the main grandstand is in pretty good shape).
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search