Referees registration

Referees registration

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Probably the wrong forum but anyway.

Thinking I'd do the right thing, seeing I'm not coaching any kids this year, I've done a referees course with my boy who wants some extra pocket money and so I can help out a few of the local clubs when they're short of officials.

Imagine my surprise to see an email today that informs me referees have to pay registration to be a referee. Are you friggin kidding me? (I already pay $270 to play in the over 35's.)

I said fair enough to the $80 course cost because the instructors are giving up their weekend and I got a flag and a whistle. I paid up through gritted teeth when I had to get a referees shirt ($35) but now I'm pissed.

It's not like there's money in it that makes it worth your while for an adult. It's $10 for a junior line and $15 for a junior centre. ($25 for a senior line, $50 for a centre). I've been assigned 2 games next weekend that will have me at the grounds for 4 and a half hours for the princely sum of $25.00.

I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it to help out but seriously they have to be joking to ask me to give up half a Saturday for that and then ask for registration fees.

Maybe I'm deluded but I would've thought this is the sort of thing the FFA should be spruiking for.

Member since 2008.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Munrubenmuz wrote:
Probably the wrong forum but anyway.

Thinking I'd do the right thing, seeing I'm not coaching any kids this year, I've done a referees course with my boy who wants some extra pocket money and so I can help out a few of the local clubs when they're short of officials.

Imagine my surprise to see an email today that informs me referees have to pay registration to be a referee. Are you friggin kidding me? (I already pay $270 to play in the over 35's.)

I said fair enough to the $80 course cost because the instructors are giving up their weekend and I got a flag and a whistle. I paid up through gritted teeth when I had to get a referees shirt ($35) but now I'm pissed.

It's not like there's money in it that makes it worth your while for an adult. It's $10 for a junior line and $15 for a junior centre. ($25 for a senior line, $50 for a centre). I've been assigned 2 games next weekend that will have me at the grounds for 4 and a half hours for the princely sum of $25.00.

I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it to help out but seriously they have to be joking to ask me to give up half a Saturday for that and then ask for registration fees.

Maybe I'm deluded but I would've thought this is the sort of thing the FFA should be spruiking for.

I'm gobsmacked that refs have to pay to be registered.:roll:

Anyone refereeing is doing a service to all stakeholders in the game, particularly FFA.

I've done a lot of unofficial refereeing when Football Fed Tas doesn't send refs to games. It is so much better to have official FFA refs.

Edited by Decentric: 9/7/2015 04:44:25 PM
The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Not sure where you're from munrub but down here for FFV we have to pay $100+ at the start of the season to be registered and has to be done every season, not every week like you have to
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

What they are paying is very ordinary.

You have to pay for registration in WA but make that back pretty quickly eg $50 to ref a game of 15s, $84 for low grade amateurs and metro leagues and generally with will get at least two games back to back.

Registration fee in WA is $235 to ref seniors and juniors or $145 for just juniors.

It is $380 for State League/NPL refs but they get $128 - $185 per game plus most of them will also run a line for at least one game.

All the fees are on the Football West website

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

The Maco wrote:
Not sure where you're from munrub but down here for FFV we have to pay $100+ at the start of the season to be registered and has to be done every season, not every week like you have to

There's a little misunderstanding there. I'm not paying it every week. (NSW). It's a one-off registration payment. The fees I listed are what you get paid for the lines and the centres.

From the posts here it seems to be standard across Australia but I'm still blown away.

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search