Superstition

Superstition

Author
Post_hoc
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Not really a performance (well then again maybe it is) as this is the only real place to post about non professional (or semi professional) games.

I play in an over 35's game and the season is about to start again, which I reckon I look forward to as much as my kids (the youngest is playing is his first year of proper football, under 6's)

We had our first run around with a new team last week and as usual put on my 'old' boots, afterwards my heel is still a bit sore, not convinced that it is the Plantar Fasciitis that I have had before, I think this time is is simply bruising from the hard ground.

Which means this week I might have to go back to my new boots which seem to handle hard grounds better, I stopped wearing the new boots after I partially tore my ACL last year. I didn't wear them after that because I associated the bloody things with pain, pain and more pain.

So got me thinking what superstitions do you have or you have heard football players as having.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Post_hoc wrote:
Not really a performance (well then again maybe it is) as this is the only real place to post about non professional (or semi professional) games.

I play in an over 35's game and the season is about to start again, which I reckon I look forward to as much as my kids (the youngest is playing is his first year of proper football, under 6's)

We had our first run around with a new team last week and as usual put on my 'old' boots, afterwards my heel is still a bit sore, not convinced that it is the Plantar Fasciitis that I have had before, I think this time is is simply bruising from the hard ground.

Which means this week I might have to go back to my new boots which seem to handle hard grounds better, I stopped wearing the new boots after I partially tore my ACL last year. I didn't wear them after that because I associated the bloody things with pain, pain and more pain.

So got me thinking what superstitions do you have or you have heard football players as having.

Good thread to put in Performance.
Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

I am fairly superstitious when it comes to football. I remember I scored a really good goal a few seasons ago and I made sure I wore the same undies for the next few games I went out (hahahah) until I realised the undies had nothing to do with it.

I also am very picky about the number on my back. I've never really settled on one. I'm a fan of numbers being allocated according to position, which would make me a 7, but it doesn't always work out like that, especially since our club got new jerseys last year with numbers that go from 18-99. Going to try out 25 this year as an homage to the man who started my love for football, Gianfranco Zola.

When I was a kid I used to lay my clothes out flat the night before big games/sporting events, not sure what the motivation was there beyond being excited.

I also went through a phase of listening to certain music before games, and if I didn't have a good game I would blame the music I listened to. I find metal gets me up for games but I also tried some dancier rap/hip hop for something a bit happier.

I'm very meticulous when it comes to eating and being hydrated before games, I need to eat certain food and leave a 2 hr gap before I do any running, but I think that is less of a superstition and more of an actual practical way to prepare for a match.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I hate wearing odd numbers during games. And I only feel truly comfortable if I'm wearing number 16 or 4.

I put my socks & boots on my left leg before my right, always.

Before I walk out of the changeroom I always hit my shinpads.

I have zero idea where any of this came from, but it's become routine and I feel weird internally if I don't have it all go to plan.
The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

From a psychology/high performance POV

Routine = Good
Superstition = Bad
Post_hoc
Post_hoc
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I love these, thanks guys
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I had a few superstitions back in my day. Most of them would come and go. I always tried to wear a number in a multiple of 3, especially 27 which is 3 cubed. For a few seasons I refused to kick a ball in the warm ups prior to kick-off, after I twice in 3 games scored with my first touch of the ball. I also for a while used to wear miss matched boots, one that I believed was better for planting my foot and then on the dominant foot a boot that I believed provided more curve, when taking free kicks and corners.
Victardy
Victardy
Amateur
Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)Amateur (677 reputation)

For my club I was a GK and I'd always wear the same top regardless of sponsors or being given a new kit. I made a triple save in the last minute of the final game of our undefeated year and so I never wore another keeper shirt again.

For my school I was a 10, and before every game during the warm-up I would always pinch an orange slice and wear it in my teeth, I thought it was funny or something, but it always made me laugh.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

My only thing when I played was that I had 10 mins alone time (or arriving late, which never really effected me, I still played like balls lol), if I had I played calm, if not I was a bit nervy. The shouting hoorah's and speaches did nothing for me, but just that alone time would allow me to settle.
scotty21
scotty21
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Have to sit in a corner seat of the change rooms

Edited by scotty21: 7/4/2016 11:17:44 AM

Post_hoc
Post_hoc
Pro

scotty21 wrote:
Have to sit in a corner seat of the change rooms

Edited by scotty21: 7/4/2016 11:17:44 AM

wow aren't you hoity toit privilege with seats and change rooms :lol:

If we are lucky we get some koppers logs under a tree, but usually just a piece of grass.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search