Languages Thread

Languages Thread

Author
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I used to be able to speak Assyrian. But I stopped using it and forgot how to.

Edit: I know how to curse in Assyrian however. The other day me and my cousin were at Crown telling the dealer to put a dick in his pussy.

Edited by "9GABmeme420": 9/3/2016 08:39:01 PM

E

milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

People that learned languages after their school years, approximately how long did it take you to learn them? How intense did you have to study it?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Anyone able to help me..

For those who have the know-how, what's a simple and free way to learn a language online?
Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
Anyone able to help me..

For those who have the know-how, what's a simple and free way to learn a language online?

Google Translate.

E

thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

milan_7 wrote:
People that learned languages after their school years, approximately how long did it take you to learn them? How intense did you have to study it?

it depends on the person really... im able to pick up languages really easily whereas my sister has to sit and study them properly. I think the best way to do it is conversing with someone who actually speaks the language.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
Anyone able to help me..

The DuoLingo app. Not exactly "online" in the sense of sitting at a computer, but it's a really great app that has daily challenges and XP in the sense of a video game, where you can level up by completing units of the courses. It tracks your "fluency level" as well.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

English (fluent) and French (B2)

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Anyone able to help me..

The DuoLingo app. Not exactly "online" in the sense of sitting at a computer, but it's a really great app that has daily challenges and XP in the sense of a video game, where you can level up by completing units of the courses. It tracks your "fluency level" as well.

10mins in and I already really like it. I've set my daily goal so will try and keep that up for a few weeks and report back.

Love it!
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Stockholmska
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Speak Italian fluently.

Have done a couple of years of Mandarin study and while I feel I'm a million years away from fluency I have enough of a grasp of it to travel through China on my own (e.g. read signs, order food, ask for directions etc). The course I was doing is a 4 year course but I had to put it on hold because it became too hard with young kids to do the requisite after hours classes and study. When they're a bit older I'll finish it but I know enough now that I'll still only be scratching the surface. tl;dr Chinese is hard

Any particular reason you picked up Italian?

I'm Italian so I was exposed to it from a young age. That was dialect though so I learnt proper Italian at school and at uni.

It's a nice language (biased) but not really useful outside of Italy whereas spanish or french are useful in lots of places. After I'm done with Mandarin, I'll be doing spanish myself. My sister only needed to do a couple of years of study to be fluent enough to live there.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Condemned666 wrote:
in order of usefulness->

Spanish - reasonably easy
Portuguese - reasonably widespread language, its a bit harder than Spanish
German - because theres german travelers EVERYWHERE you go, except the germans all speak English anyway
French - difficult language, having a good vocab is still not good enough to understand every single word
Arabic - spoken throughout the middle east and the language of the largest religion of the world
Russian - when this language is the language of the world's biggest country its presumed that this is the only language spoken in the whole world

not so useful - Chinese - only people in 1 country speak it plus all the young speak a form of English, its the same rule with Hindi (the language of India), a third of the whole world's population 2.5 billion out of 7 billion speak those 2 languages

Edited by condemned666: 9/3/2016 08:15:35 PM

You've obviously never been to mainland china.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

mcjules wrote:
Condemned666 wrote:
in order of usefulness->

German - because theres german travelers EVERYWHERE you go, except the germans all speak English anyway

not so useful - Chinese - only people in 1 country speak it plus all the young speak a form of English, its the same rule with Hindi (the language of India), a third of the whole world's population 2.5 billion out of 7 billion speak those 2 languages

Edited by condemned666: 9/3/2016 08:15:35 PM

You've obviously never been to mainland china.

or Germany
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Speak Italian fluently.

Have done a couple of years of Mandarin study and while I feel I'm a million years away from fluency I have enough of a grasp of it to travel through China on my own (e.g. read signs, order food, ask for directions etc). The course I was doing is a 4 year course but I had to put it on hold because it became too hard with young kids to do the requisite after hours classes and study. When they're a bit older I'll finish it but I know enough now that I'll still only be scratching the surface. tl;dr Chinese is hard

I'm Italian so I was exposed to it from a young age. That was dialect though so I learnt proper Italian at school and at uni.

It's a nice language (biased) but not really useful outside of Italy whereas spanish or french are useful in lots of places. After I'm done with Mandarin, I'll be doing spanish myself. My sister only needed to do a couple of years of study to be fluent enough to live there.

Really? Wouldn't have thought you were Italian when I met you.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Speak Italian fluently.

I'm from the north, the stereotypical italian you see are usually southerners.

[youtube]S3yon2GyoiM?start=380[/youtube]

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I do French at uni. I've finished the language units and now I'm just doing cultural units. I'd say I'm very good at formal French. I'm strong at reading and writing in French, as well as at expressing myself verbally. I can understand most of what French people say but when they talk too fast or with slang, then I battle a bit.

I did Year 12 Latin. That was one of the best things I've ever learnt. Obviously nobody in the world speaks Latin, but it's great to learn. It teaches you incredibly difficult grammar (and still not as hard as Ancient Greek) so that it's incredibly easy to learn the grammar for every other language. It also teaches you analytical skills (because Latin sentence structure is almost wholly dependent on word endings). Then when you get good enough, you study some of the world's greatest literature and history in Latin. It's like doing three subjects in one. We did all the grammar in high school, then we touched on Livy and Virgil.

In the old days, most privileged people in England would go to Oxford or Cambridge and do Classics (Latin and Greek). Otherwise perhaps Chemistry. Then after that they'd do law, medicine, join the clergy, cram for the Foreign Office, join the armed forces or something like that. But the thing was because they were taught Classics so thoroughly, they could learn modern languages incredibly easily. It was an absolute piece of piss.

This is why so many educated English people spoke flawless French and German. There were even people who, after having learnt Greek and Latin, mastered things like Chinese, Hindi (bearing in mind Britain's colonial interests) and Russian.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I'm also trying to learn Swedish.

I've a lot of Swedish friends, I'd quite like to live there and it's a fun language to speak.

It's tough going learning it from Australia. Feasible but not easy.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

quickflick wrote:

I've a lot of Swedish friends, I'd quite like to live there and it's a fun language to speak.

[youtube]ExtpaPso7-g[/youtube]
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Speak Italian fluently.

Was about to ask if you were Calo like me, although I also have family in Milan, Rome, Turin and Florence so I can't really give you shit for being from the north :lol:

Edited by milan_7: 9/3/2016 10:50:02 PM
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

scott21 wrote:
quickflick wrote:

Tack! Det är jätte rolig
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

"9GABmeme420" wrote:

Edit: I know how to curse in Assyrian however. The other day me and my cousin were at Crown telling the dealer to put a dick in his pussy.

I am starting to speak Assyrian and Kurdish but I keep getting confused and lapsing into Arabic.

I have a niece who speaks English, Arabic, French, German and Afrikaans (her parents only speak three each, no Afrikaans) and from when she was 5-7 years old she struggled to differentiate between the languages, so her speech was all five mixed together with her own form of grammar. Her teachers told her parents not to worry and that it would sort itself out, which it did.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Crusader wrote:
"9GABmeme420" wrote:

I am starting to speak Assyrian and Kurdish but I keep getting confused and lapsing into Arabic.

I have a niece who speaks English, Arabic, French, German and Afrikaans (her parents only speak three each, no Afrikaans) and from when she was 5-7 years old she struggled to differentiate between the languages, so her speech was all five mixed together with her own form of grammar. Her teachers told her parents not to worry and that it would sort itself out, which it did.

I think it does tend to sort itself out. I base that on anecdote, though. How did she come to speak such different languages at such a young age?
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

milan_7 wrote:
mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Speak Italian fluently.

Was about to ask if you were Calo like me, although I also have family in Milan, Rome, Turin and Florence so I can't really give you shit for being from the north :lol:

Edited by milan_7: 9/3/2016 10:50:02 PM
I'm no Lega Nord supporter or anything :lol:

Also that video is far from accurate, I just like Christopher Walken :)

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Can read Ancient Greek and Ancient Hebrew - but they aren't really spoken languages (despite their modern equivalents).

Basic Spanish as my step-mother and her family (who lived with us for a while) are Peruvian.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

When I was about 7 I would go to 'Finnish School' each Saturday, then the place closed and my parents split so I stopped learning it after that unfortunately. Only know a few words now. :(
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
When I was about 7 I would go to 'Finnish School' each Saturday, then the place closed and my parents split so I stopped learning it after that unfortunately. Only know a few words now. :(

Hyvää
[youtube]1AR_sZZiNOk[/youtube]
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Fluent bullshit and sarcasm.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

pv4
pv4
Legend

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Timmo wrote:

Currently learning German and Finnish at the moment.

Have heritage in Austria and Germany but know there are differences between German German and Austrian German.

Finnish I learning just for the fun of it.

Nothing dramatic, Swiss German is probably more of a unique challenge.

My really brief understanding of Swiss German is it's basically German mixed with Italian, yeah?
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

quickflick wrote:
scott21 wrote:
quickflick wrote:

Tack! Det är jätte rolig

[youtube]AkHRNrMmkvg[/youtube]
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

I'm Intermediate at Dutch and looking for a course at the moment for Mandarin considering our Chinese overlords coming down on us.

Also surprised no-one has said Auslan yet. I'm self-taught so my technique probably isn't fantastic but I can hold my own
pv4
pv4
Legend

RedshirtWilly wrote:
Also surprised no-one has said Auslan yet. I'm self-taught so my technique probably isn't fantastic but I can hold my own

Have been casually keen on learning this too.

I think my Mrs is also, could be something fun to bring the little one up with.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search