Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
theFOOTBALLlover - 4 Jun 2020 10:53 PM
Protest for BLM in Sydney at Town Hall on Saturday 3pm for anyone interested. 

Aboriginal deaths in custody is probably one of Australia's most shameful & unresolved episodes. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Of course it's the 'radical left's that's the problem.

2nd only to Sunni extremists.  Congratulations Rusty for hitching your wagon these bunch of clusterfucks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/asio-briefing-warns-far-right-is-exploiting-coronavirus/12344472

Member since 2008.

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Munrubenmuz - 14 Jun 2020 9:13 AM
Of course it's the 'radical left's that's the problem.

2nd only to Sunni extremists.  Congratulations Rusty for hitching your wagon these bunch of clusterfucks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/asio-briefing-warns-far-right-is-exploiting-coronavirus/12344472

Both are bad.  Unlike you I wont try to downplay their actions, or contrast them with the radical right, so they dont look as bad, and a little halo forms around them.  

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

rusty - 14 Jun 2020 1:17 PM
Munrubenmuz - 14 Jun 2020 9:13 AM

Both are bad.  Unlike you I wont try to downplay their actions, or contrast them with the radical right, so they dont look as bad, and a little halo forms around them.  

I'm not sticking up for left wing radicals.  Looters are scum and I've said it more than once.

Member since 2008.

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 14 Jun 2020 1:22 PM
rusty - 14 Jun 2020 1:17 PM

I'm not sticking up for left wing radicals.  Looters are scum and I've said it more than once.

It’s not just looters, do you denounce Antifa and their violent tactics?  Do you denounce CNN and other left wing media for encouraging the riots and rationalising their actions?  Do you denounce BLM for wanting to defund police, who save millions of more lives than they take but get no credit?  Do you denounce Democrats who also want to defund police and who are deliberately stoking racial divisions?

The radical left not being held to account, unlike the radical right, so its up to right wing media like Fox to take up the fight and try to restore some balance and sanity into the conversation.  Calling out the left for their violence, hypocrisy and fake news is not tantamount to “hitching the bandwagon” of the radical right.

Edited
4 Years Ago by rusty
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Ahh, Fox News, the saviors of us all.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Right, so we need to denounce CNN for being left wing but it’s ok for Fox News to be right wing to bring in balance?
rusty
rusty
World Class

Burztur - 15 Jun 2020 11:03 AM
Right, so we need to denounce CNN for being left wing but it’s ok for Fox News to be right wing to bring in balance?

My point is its not wrong to hold other media outlets to account when they publish fake news.  This notion that CNN and other news outlets are somehow beyond criticism, or that you’re not allowed to criticise them because they are just vulnerable innocent journalistic professionals who only tell the truth, is oppressive and undemocratic.  It’s not like the left have resisted blaming entire election losses across multiple geographies on Rupert Murdoch.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Colour me shocked

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-police-investigating-top-chinese-diplomat-after-complaint-from-aussie-uni-student/news-story/d9bd9f8838076ab36156346403cc04f3

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

lol this shit is appearing everywhere even here in Australia

(another reason why hash tags are lame and silly)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/savethechildren-qanon-pizzagate-facebook-block-hashtag-1041812/

-PB

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Burztur - 15 Jun 2020 11:03 AM

Got him!!

Rusty in a nutshell. Expects other posters to constantly denounce things like looting, etc (many of us have but he ignores that), but NEVER criticises conservative media for their bullshit, instead deflecting with a "what about the time this left wing journalist said... etc".

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 14 Aug 2020 10:40 AM
lol this shit is appearing everywhere even here in Australia

(another reason why hash tags are lame and silly)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/savethechildren-qanon-pizzagate-facebook-block-hashtag-1041812/

-PB

Says everything you need to know about anyone involved with Qanaon or anything similar.

They couldn't give a flying fuck about child sex trafficking unless they could tie  it into a "elite cabal" conspiracy narrative. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj2r948rUkQ
Muz
Muz
Legend

paladisious - 23 Aug 2020 11:05 AM

Well that was a flashy video not addressing why the government is trying to stop YouTube, Facebook and Google pinching content without payment.

Is this what we really want?

Member since 2008.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 23 Aug 2020 12:40 PM
paladisious - 23 Aug 2020 11:05 AM

Well that was a flashy video not addressing why the government is trying to stop YouTube, Facebook and Google pinching content without payment.

Is this what we really want?

What do you mean by "pinching content"? Surely the already existing copyright laws would stop that? How do you feel about Murdoch et al. being allowed to rig the algorithms to appear before independent sources, or the handing over of user data?
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
Muz
Muz
Legend

paladisious - 23 Aug 2020 12:41 PM
Munrubenmuz - 23 Aug 2020 12:40 PM

What do you mean by "pinching content"? Surely the already existing copyright laws would stop that? How do you feel about Murdoch et al. being allowed to rig the algorithms to appear before independent sources, or the handing over of user data?

That's wrong too but google Facebook and YouTube take articles from newspapers and tv shows and republishes those without payment.

You know, content theft.

Funny how no sooner the government proposes this legislation and YouTube and Google start running 'we're under threat' garbage then this video pops up.

I'm no fan of Murdoch but nor do I want to live in a world where Google and Facebook are the primary news sources.

Oddly I'm sitting at lunch perusing The Australian at this very moment that someone left behind.  I used to be an avid reader of the weekend papers (the SMH and the Oz).  Didn't realise how much I missed proper journalism in the printed form.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Would take the ACCCs word over Google any day of the week.

https://amp-abc-net-au.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12566670?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15981526361121&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2020-08-17%2Fgoogle-open-letter-to-australia-news-media-code%2F12566670

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Listen to this 7 minute clip Pala.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/newcastle/programs/mornings/google-fights-the-accc/12573518

Google etc are going hard here not because Australia is a massive market for them but because other countries are watching with interest and there could be huge knock on effects.

Just like plain packaging on cigarettes and how big tobacco tied Australia up in Hong Kong courts for $300 million for years google will be willing to spend plenty to see this doesn't happen.

As the pod says market capitalisation of Australian media is 1% of Google's overall worth.  Their handwringing over this is disengenuous to say the least.

Member since 2008.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 23 Aug 2020 1:11 PM

That's wrong too but google Facebook and YouTube take articles from newspapers and tv shows and republishes those without payment.

You know, content theft.

Funny how no sooner the government proposes this legislation and YouTube and Google start running 'we're under threat' garbage then this video pops up.

I'm no fan of Murdoch but nor do I want to live in a world where Google and Facebook are the primary news sources.

Oddly I'm sitting at lunch perusing The Australian at this very moment that someone left behind.  I used to be an avid reader of the weekend papers (the SMH and the Oz).  Didn't realise how much I missed proper journalism in the printed form.

The Oz used to be one of the best papers going around.  Then they went full right . And its just a cheerleading paper for the lnp and the far right . Hell even the age has veered.  Say what you want about the left but we need both sides
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

You know, content theft.

They'll just stop linking to those media outlets and will nuke them in search results.

Aus media will end up floundering more than they are now.

-PB

Muz
Muz
Legend

paulbagzFC - 23 Aug 2020 4:24 PM

They'll just stop linking to those media outlets and will nuke them in search results.

Aus media will end up floundering more than they are now.

-PB

Probably but that's not the point.  It's weird how people rage against Murdoch et al and yet monoliths like facebook and Google get a free pass.  They know far more abut you, your movements and your life than any newspaper or TV station.

Multiple and diverse media is what a vibrant democracy needs.  This concentration, traditional and new, of the media is not ideal. 

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

This is an interesting one because it’s an unholy battle between two groups of companies and none of them are as pure as they make out to be.

It feels like traditional media are using this as an opportunity to get more control again but at the same time Google/Facebook etc should be paying more for Australian content.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

You know, content theft.

So if they're stealing content then copyright law should be more than sufficient to protect Murdoch's rights, yeah?

Muz
Muz
Legend

paladisious - 23 Aug 2020 10:56 PM

So if they're stealing content then copyright law should be more than sufficient to protect Murdoch's rights, yeah?

Well by the sounds of it no. 

Hence the proposed legislation.

(Not that I'm an expert so I don't know why copyright does/doesn't apply.)

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Fuck google.  Poor bugger me.

https://theconversation.com/googles-open-letter-is-trying-to-scare-australians-the-company-simply-doesnt-want-to-pay-for-news-144573

Member since 2008.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Google are the biggest copyright thieves on the planet.  The problem is that people don't want to pay for content hence the decline in actual journalism.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 15 Jun 2020 8:27 AM
Ahh, Fox News, the saviors of us all.

-PB

Being biased like certain media outlets such as FOX News and Sky News Australia after dark is, isn’t an issue. We all know these outlets are biased and these outlets don’t hide the fact they are therefore not underhanded. 

Other media outlets such as CNN and some others that are funded by the tax payer and which pretend to be independent sources when they are not, are quite deceitful and therefore are trying to disguise propaganda as real news. 

There is a big difference! 

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Aug 2020 1:39 PM

The Oz used to be one of the best papers going around.  Then they went full right . And its just a cheerleading paper for the lnp and the far right . Hell even the age has veered.  Say what you want about the left but we need both sides

Any source that is actually centrist is far Right these days according to the left which have shifted more to the left. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Use DuckDuckGo
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

News Corp  was basically started by Collins House (the name behind the Herald and Weekly Times (HWT), Rio Tinto, Carlton and United Breweries, Dunlop Rubber and Dulux).and was owned by the most powerful industrialists of the day. It was created for the express purpose of disseminating “propaganda”.

"I am glad to note that you are going to shake the Port Pirie Recorder up. There is great room for propaganda in Broken Hill and Port Pirie … Let us try and educate our men, and the public too." W.S Robinson

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search