Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Condemned666 - 23 Jan 2017 3:08 PM
JoffaTossa - 23 Jan 2017 12:41 PM

odd that nobody really knows what constitutes to be centrist

One way to be more central is to bring a counterpoint to the leftists

ie gay marriage

if we made an island and had all the gay people move there, and give them all the laws that they want, in one generation they would all be extinct :laugh:

Not necessarily as there would still be males and females on the island.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane - 23 Jan 2017 6:32 PM
Coverdale - 23 Jan 2017 9:04 AM

I don't won't to get into a death penalty debate as it's been done so many times on this forum, but in this instance I would be very surprised if he wasn't fucked up on ice at the time, so I struggle to see how the death penalty could be used as a deterrence in these instances.  

Yep
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

sokorny - 2 Feb 2017 1:46 PM
Condemned666 - 23 Jan 2017 3:08 PM

Not necessarily as there would still be males and females on the island.

Doesn't mean they would mate haha

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

In 2009 the Lin family was horribly murdered in North Epping, directly across the road from the field I've played football and basketball on with mates and literally (and I mean literally) next door to the church a few of my uni classmates went to.

Their uncle, Robert Xie, took over the family's newsagency in Epping, behind the Epping Hotel, where he served me a number of times, including selling me the good old 442 mag.

This week, the cuunt got what he deserved, 5 life sentences, never to be released.

This is a good week.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/brenda-lin-the-only-surviving-lin-family-member-breaks-her-silence/news-story/c5e9248d8989c5377af148109b5e9d39
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Those poor people in that flight :(

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 22 Feb 2017 9:07 AM
Those poor people in that flight :(

-PB

I saw an article on news.com.au about the pilot having a near miss a few years ago. Why must media outlets dig up dirt to make this tragic incident appear inevitable and to question the ability and credibility of the pilot?

Accidents happens and its terrible that the grieving families have to see these sorts of articles. 

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

BETHFC - 22 Feb 2017 11:05 AM

I saw an article on news.com.au about the pilot having a near miss a few years ago. Why must media outlets dig up dirt to make this tragic incident appear inevitable and to question the ability and credibility of the pilot?

Accidents happens and its terrible that the grieving families have to see these sorts of articles. 

This is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Can you image how his family are feeling having lost a loved one and then having to defend his credibility?

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

vanlassen - 22 Feb 2017 11:52 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Can you image how his family are feeling having lost a loved one and then having to defend his credibility?

Yeh it's horrible to see. The media has no conscience.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

All about the clicks.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Penalty rates cut on Sundays by Fairwork.

Spokesmen prior to the announcement was throwing around lines like "it will increase employment and economic growth for the industries" 

Jobs and growth FMD lol

-PB

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 23 Feb 2017 12:05 PM
Penalty rates cut on Sundays by Fairwork.

Spokesmen prior to the announcement was throwing around lines like "it will increase employment and economic growth for the industries" 

Jobs and growth FMD lol

-PB

Basic economic principles (something the liberal party is supposed to be all about) states that the lower and middle classes are the main drivers of the economy.  Removing money from these areas does nothing but slow the economy down.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Scotch&Coke - 23 Feb 2017 1:15 PM
paulbagzFC - 23 Feb 2017 12:05 PM

Basic economic principles (something the liberal party is supposed to be all about) states that the lower and middle classes are the main drivers of the economy.  Removing money from these areas does nothing but slow the economy down.

Muh trickle down economics! (RE: tax cuts for corps).

Ironically also, the Aus Post CEO resigned today bahaha

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I hate how people say trickle down economics.

the fact is, that if our Company tax rate stays where it is, we will lose thousands of manufacturing and other jobs to overseas. There is no incentive to attract investment and business, and we will go down gradually which has been happening for over 10 years now. 

No business is going to set up in Australia unless they are stupid, and we will lose all of our own iconic corporations to overseas tax havens. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Victoria passing laws for huge penalties if you cover your face while rioting.

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

how does the Victorian government get that one pass the CFMEU? 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Apparently the Moomba festival was disrupted with violence caused by "youth gangs".

Anyone from Vic wanna tell their story?
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Aljay - 13 Mar 2017 2:54 PM
Apparently the Moomba festival was disrupted with violence caused by "youth gangs". Anyone from Vic wanna tell their story?

I went out Sunday night, was frisk searched coming off the train. Enormous police presence in the city.

Didn't see anything but I heard there was violence at Flinders/Fed Square.
Edited
7 Years Ago by 433
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

We never use to have this kind of violence in Australia before (other than Cronulla as a one off). 

People are just getting more and more angry these days. I worry for where society is headed because it just seems people are getting too polarized for some reason. we are not as laid back as we use to be unfortunately.

this kind of thing was more an overseas issue. Now it's here too and global. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Aljay - 13 Mar 2017 2:54 PM
Apparently the Moomba festival was disrupted with violence caused by "youth gangs". Anyone from Vic wanna tell their story?

Apex lel?

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

LOL at Q&A last night.

most ridiculous episode ever. The only sensible part was a question from a young chap in the audience about bill Leak and people expressing joy over the poor man's death because they perceived him to be "racist" for telling the truth. 

Then the panel went into a tirade about not offending other people through free speech (in Leak's case cartoons) and yet its ok to offend the poor man's mourning family and children.

Wow! never seen anything like that.

if this is our humanity now, then I pity humanity. 

The rest of Q&A was also drivel. Mem Fox was extremely lame. never seen anyone as lame as that especially when she went on a stupid tirade about being pulled out of the line by US Border Control for questioning over her VISA and using that episode to depict a scene of Germany's Gestapo SS in order to hit out at Trump. Get over it. People get pulled out of line in the USA all the time, and even just for completely random checks. And normally they are quite reasonable and polite. it's if you get caught doing something wrong when they start getting very impolite. 

Time to threaten ABC with budget cuts methinks. Feel sorry for people in the country that only have the ABC to rely on for their information. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Four people attacked in Queanbeyan by two people on a rampage, including one person stabbed to death.

But don't jump to conclusions.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Aljay - 7 Apr 2017 2:28 PM
Four people attacked in Queanbeyan by two people on a rampage, including one person stabbed to death. But don't jump to conclusions.

At first I was gonna say "bruh just a random stabbing" and now I'm watching the Police Commissioner state that counter terrorism peeps are involved.

God damn it lol

-PB

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

So first Alan Joyce was apparently laughing it off, now hes pressing charges.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Iridium1010 - 10 May 2017 7:04 PM
So first Alan Joyce was apparently laughing it off, now hes pressing charges.

And the good thing is that the man will only get a $500 fine.

No one is saying why he did it. he is probably a disgruntled employee, and the way he did it showed was calm. He was making a point. 

Joyce should show grace and try and find out what the man's gripes are and take the higher road by trying to sort things out rather than behave childishly. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

mouflonrouge - 10 May 2017 7:34 PM
Iridium1010 - 10 May 2017 7:04 PM

And the good thing is that the man will only get a $500 fine.

No one is saying why he did it. he is probably a disgruntled employee, and the way he did it showed was calm. He was making a point. 

Joyce should show grace and try and find out what the man's gripes are and take the higher road by trying to sort things out rather than behave childishly. 

He supposedly did it as a stance against same sex marriage rofl.

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

paulbagzFC - 10 May 2017 10:21 PM
mouflonrouge - 10 May 2017 7:34 PM

He supposedly did it as a stance against same sex marriage rofl.

-PB

That doesn't even make sense! What the hell has Joyce got to do with Same Sex Marriage? 

Anyway, let's presume this to be the case. The individual has a right to protest these things as a citizen of this country. 

In fact, I found the whole incident a lot more hilarious than an assault. 
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 8:56 AM
paulbagzFC - 10 May 2017 10:21 PM

What the hell has Joyce got to do with Same Sex Marriage? 

CEO of Qantas has been making Public Statements supporting it.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

View from the fence - 11 May 2017 10:28 AM
mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 8:56 AM

CEO of Qantas has been making Public Statements supporting it.

Yeh I know. Also they came up with that hideous virtue signalling ring. 

Still find it very odd why someone would put a pie in his face because he was supportive of same sex marriage when he wasn't the only one to be making public statements supporting it. 
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 12:00 PM

Still find it very odd why someone would put a pie in his face because he was supportive of same sex marriage when he wasn't the only one to be making public statements supporting it. 

Serial Killers have to have a first victim

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 12:00 PM

As the attacker himself said, prominent public figures don't come to WA very often. Joyce was probably the only prominent same sex marriage supporter in WA at the time... do you want the attacker to spend thousands of $ flying round Australia seeking out various prominent individuals? You are a bit slow...or like making a mountain out of a molehill.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search