Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 12:00 PM
View from the fence - 11 May 2017 10:28 AM

Yeh I know. Also they came up with that hideous virtue signalling ring. 

Still find it very odd why someone would put a pie in his face because he was supportive of same sex marriage when he wasn't the only one to be making public statements supporting it. 

People who disapprove of same sex marriage that does not affect them even remotely are prone to making odd decisions due to a lack of brain cells.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

BETHFC - 11 May 2017 1:22 PM

People who disapprove of same sex marriage that does not affect them even remotely are prone to making odd decisions due to a lack of brain cells.

People who judge people's brain cells all because they do not approve with a particular person's social conservatism or beliefs, have even less brain cells. 

Social conservatism on this issue, is just as legitimate as any of your beliefs. In fact, it's their social conservatism that bought humanity to where it is today over many centuries, whereas this so called "progressiveness" is untried and untested. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

localstar - 11 May 2017 12:52 PM

As the attacker himself said, prominent public figures don't come to WA very often. Joyce was probably the only prominent same sex marriage supporter in WA at the time... do you want the attacker to spend thousands of $ flying round Australia seeking out various prominent individuals? You are a bit slow...or like making a mountain out of a molehill.

I made a mountain out of a mole hill?

I wasn't even aware that the individual did what he did all because of the same sex marriage issue. When I was informed of it by Paul, I just expressed an opinion that the behavior was quite odd and was nonsensical.

Oh and there are many prominent public figures and politicians which express support for same sex marriage here in Perth. My assumption was that the act was an aviation industry inspired act against the QANTAS chief executive officer. 

Go back to sleep...
Edited
Dial It In
Dial It In
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I find the pie in the face just an example of cranky old white male privelege.
Atheism is verging on 25% in the Australia census, reflecting what is happening around the world.
I expect atheism & agnosticism to reach 51% majority within 10 years & atheism outright majority in about 50 years (people's fear of dying will delay it being sooner)
Edited
7 Years Ago by Dial It In
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 11 May 2017 4:26 PM
localstar - 11 May 2017 12:52 PM

I made a mountain out of a mole hill?

I wasn't even aware that the individual did what he did all because of the same sex marriage issue. When I was informed of it by Paul, I just expressed an opinion that the behavior was quite odd and was nonsensical.

Oh and there are many prominent public figures and politicians which express support for same sex marriage here in Perth. My assumption was that the act was an aviation industry inspired act against the QANTAS chief executive officer. 

Go back to sleep...

I used to think you were just a self important long winded bore... but you are actually quite an amusing guy!

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I just think it's awesome that in Australia when a fundamentalist decides to protest against major social upheaval that goes breaks every social taboo he grew up and lived with, that he decides to do it with a pie in the face.

There's probably only 10-15 countries in the world where that happens. The remaining 200 (approx), he protests with a gun, knife or bomb.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

So on a scale of 10 to Hilary Clinton, how guilty is this Cassie Sainsbury chick? Makes Schapelle look like a choir girl.
Dial It In
Dial It In
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)Hardcore Fan (220 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
As Donald Trump has recently laundered US$100M Russian money, where does he sit on your scale?
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

If he did it, obviously pretty high. I've tuned out of US politics the last couple of months - I thought it was Jared? (For the record - I'm not pro-Trump, but definitely anti-Hilary).

But Cocaine Cassie looks guilty as anything. The more that comes out, the more guilty she looks. I reckon the boyfriend must be shitting himself, surely he is involved too.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Aljay
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Shocked at the coverge corby is getting by the aus media. I was pretty young when she got caught, so i dont remember how much coverage she got, but shes getting stalked harder than prince harry At the moment, theyre legit interupting programs for her.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Iridium1010 - 28 May 2017 7:25 PM
Shocked at the coverge corby is getting by the aus media. I was pretty young when she got caught, so i dont remember how much coverage she got, but shes getting stalked harder than prince harry At the moment, theyre legit interupting programs for her.

It's way over the top... the media claim they are hounding her because "people are interested in her'. It's more like the media are going out of their way to try and beat up the interest.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Through a twist of cosmic fate that proves the universe is interconnected, she's booked at the same hotel as the NSW Origin camp.

This can only end in Daily Telegraph headlines.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Aljay - 29 May 2017 1:29 PM
Through a twist of cosmic fate that proves the universe is interconnected, she's booked at the same hotel as the NSW Origin camp. This can only end in Daily Telegraph headlines.

Coke fueled gang bang straight to 60 Minutes.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Did anybody else see the Balinese reporter fall off the wall in the background of the live report the other night?

I'm trying to find a video of it.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

https://youtu.be/HS7bTukxvmY
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The two part 4 corners story on the Lindt Cafe siege is really powerful journalism. So tragic.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I saw an ad for something about the lindt siege but it was very vague, so I thought it was months away from showing, mustve been this.

Great doco.

I dont think ive cursed at the tv so much, had no idea what a monumental fuck up this was. Struggling to think of anything with so many mistakes made.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Iridium1010 - 30 May 2017 3:08 PM
I saw an ad for something about the lindt siege but it was very vague, so I thought it was months away from showing, mustve been this. Great doco.I dont think ive cursed at the tv so much, had no idea what a monumental fuck up this was. Struggling to think of anything with so many mistakes made.

Yup, top to bottom failures.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

So this fella took a hooker hostage and this is a terrorist attack?

On parole, long criminal history, already on a watch list.

The fuck.

-PB

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Dial It In - 11 May 2017 5:50 PM
I find the pie in the face just an example of cranky old white male privelege.
Atheism is verging on 25% in the Australia census, reflecting what is happening around the world.
I expect atheism & agnosticism to reach 51% majority within 10 years & atheism outright majority in about 50 years (people's fear of dying will delay it being sooner)

Actually, it's all about stages of life. People who are not religious today, will become religious later in life. 

Also, meany people who declared 'no religion" (like me) are not Atheist. Sorry to burst your little bubble. But I find it is of no concern to the Government exactly what my religious beliefs are. Plus, I do predict that one day, religious people will be persecuted (familiar story).

Just like in Finland where parents with religious beliefs have their kids taken from them because they are Christian (yes it's true and it's happening now).

This is where Australia is headed. 
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:19 AM
Dial It In - 11 May 2017 5:50 PM

Actually, it's all about stages of life. People who are not religious today, will become religious later in life. 

Also, meany people who declared 'no religion" (like me) are not Atheist. Sorry to burst your little bubble. But I find it is of no concern to the Government exactly what my religious beliefs are. Plus, I do predict that one day, religious people will be persecuted (familiar story).

Just like in Finland where parents with religious beliefs have their kids taken from them because they are Christian (yes it's true and it's happening now).

This is where Australia is headed. 

Religion is becoming less and less prevalent.

Parents enforcing their religious beliefs and lifestyle on children to me is abuse. The children have no option but to accept their parents lifestyle.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:31 AM
mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:19 AM

Religion is becoming less and less prevalent.

Parents enforcing their religious beliefs and lifestyle on children to me is abuse. The children have no option but to accept their parents lifestyle.

It's not!

Some religions will be going on for thousands of years to the end of times. In fact, our religion is enjoying a huge resurgence among our young which is very encouraging. 

Our churches are full to bursting point and young people are going on pilgrimages to experience all the riches. And it is a good thing too, because generally speaking, they are bought up right to do the right thing and respect people with a great sense of community as well. 

You know, the sense of community that is almost non existent else where in the secular world. The sense of community that looks after the elderly, young families, and brings people together to love each other and respect each other, rather than the cold harsh nothingness that exists elsewhere as well as the loneliness and misery. It's a very powerful force and it's good. 
Edited
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:36 AM
BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:31 AM

It's not!

Some religions will be going on for thousands of years to the end of times. In fact, our religion is enjoying a huge resurgence among our young which is very encouraging. 

Our churches are full to bursting point and young people are going on pilgrimages to experience all the riches. 

In small areas perhaps, but there is no doubt that the major religions are declining.

People don't have to declare atheism to be unbelievers. I do not profess to be an atheist and yet would never voluntarily attend a church.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:40 AM
mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:36 AM
  l
In small areas perhaps, but there is no doubt that the major religions are declining.

People don't have to declare atheism to be unbelievers. I do not profess to be an atheist and yet would never voluntarily attend a church.

I'm talking about cities and entire countries. I'm talking about millions of people not just some small backwater. Religiosity is about 98%

Orthodoxy isn't declining my friend. In fact, it is expanding at a very fast rate.

Catholicism has some structural problems giving it a bad name, but when they sort it, I expect them to rebound too. 

Your last sentence means you profess to believe in a higher power. 

Also, many Christians ticked the "no religion" or Atheist box in the census. That is what I did on our census form. Despite going to church most Sundays and being heavily invested in our parish. 

I did that, because for the first time ever, I am starting to live in fear because of my Christian beliefs. I do believe that the State will try to undermine Christian families and Christian values in the very near future. In fact, it is prophesized in our Bible (Apocalypse). And just about every prophecy so far has ended up being true. They will do that to cut people off from their support and family so that the Government can control people more and be all powerful. 

Edited
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:42 AM
BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:40 AM

I'm talking about cities and entire countries. I'm talking about millions of people not just some small backwater. Religiosity is about 98%

Orthodoxy isn't declining my friend. In fact, it is expanding at a very fast rate.

Catholicism has some structural problems giving it a bad name, but when they sort it, I expect them to rebound too. 

Your last sentence means you profess to believe in a higher power. 

Also, many Christians ticked the "no religion" or Atheist box in the census. That is what I did on our census form. Despite going to church most Sundays and being heavily invested in our parish. 

I did that, because for the first time ever, I am starting to live in fear because of my Christian beliefs. I do believe that the State will try to undermine Christian families and Christian values in the very near future. In fact, it is prophesized in our Bible (Apocalypse). And just about every prophecy so far has ended up being true. They will do that to cut people off from their support and family so that the Government can control people more and be all powerful. 

In 3rd world and developing countries maybe, but there are numerous documentaries and studies on the decline of organized and active religion.

Christianity is deeply embedded in our culture (unfortunately). Christians fearing that their beliefs are under attack are being either sensitive or paranoid. I remember Scott Morrison claiming discrimination for his stance on gay marriage being attacked. What idiots like him need to accept is that religion does not and should not protect your beliefs from criticism. If you can't handle the criticism, do not publicly voice beliefs. I respect people, not their religious beliefs.

I am not an atheist. However my definition of a higher power would significantly differ from yours.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:57 AM
mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 9:42 AM

In 3rd world and developing countries maybe, but there are numerous documentaries and studies on the decline of organized and active religion.

Christianity is deeply embedded in our culture (unfortunately). Christians fearing that their beliefs are under attack are being either sensitive or paranoid. I remember Scott Morrison claiming discrimination for his stance on gay marriage being attacked. What idiots like him need to accept is that religion does not and should not protect your beliefs from criticism. If you can't handle the criticism, do not publicly voice beliefs. I respect people, not their religious beliefs.

I am not an atheist. However my definition of a higher power would significantly differ from yours.

Unfortunately for you, that is only in Western Countries like Australia. Other countries which are a lot more tighter culturally, are not in religious decline. In fact, hundreds and thousands of new Churches are being built each year to cope with the demand.

And when you have all the relics at the Holy Mountain, monasteries and mysteries, you just know that ours will prevail like it has done for 2000 years when our lot were even thrown to the lions in Coloseums. Do you understand what kind of faith it takes for a Christian to be more willing to die than to denounce their faith? 

You're entitled to interpret things the way you want. You can define this God however you wish. It is of zero consequence to me as our religion should be of zero consequence to you, unless of course you actually do something quite brave and try to learn something. 
Edited
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Sigh.. charged with plotting an act of terrorism, convicted of multiple other crimes, on the terrorism watch list.

If not that, then what, exactly does someone have to do in Australia to be deported? This guy was at unbackable odds to do something like this, but violent foreigners have more right to live here than the Australian public has to be safe.

#getusedtoit

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Aljay - 6 Jun 2017 10:04 AM
Sigh.. charged with plotting an act of terrorism, convicted of multiple other crimes, on the terrorism watch list.If not that, then what, exactly does someone have to do in Australia to be deported? This guy was at unbackable odds to do something like this, but violent foreigners have more right to live here than the Australian public has to be safe.#getusedtoit

This is upsetting.

I do not understand the line which has to be crossed for these people to be removed from society.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 10:03 AM
BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 9:57 AM

You're entitled to interpret things the way you want. You can define this God however you wish. It is of zero consequence to me as our religion should be of zero consequence to you, unless of course you actually do something quite brave and try to learn something. 

Lol..... I assure you I am learning a lot. I belong to a fraternity not blinded by a single religion ;)

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

The incident in Melbourne raises the same questions as the reporting of the Manchester bomber and the failure of police to take action - what's the point if the government won't/isn't allowed to repatriate them. It's too late once they have already commited multiple murders.

Putting them on the watch list, searching their apartment and having a "deradicalisation" D&M can only do so much. Putting them on a plane in handcuffs does a lot more.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search