AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sav.09@live.com.au - 9 Jul 2017 2:20 PM
The AFL's relentless agendato strangle the wogball out of existence continues....both off the pitch through media control, history of stadia boycotts at professional level and now attack footballs greatest strength coommunity football .

Its all about perception...expect the usual media cheersquad to fall over themesleves talking 'up' the new comp.....expect articles , pieces. tv spots excited kids taking up new 'exciting' game..,..inevitably with 'we used to play sockah but now ' comment all to enhance 'Brand AFLofcourse.    Zero context and zero mention of actual facts on the ground..ie Ray Morgan research confirming footballs dominance as no1 participation ..which has ofcourse been totally buried by msm.

For classic shameless AFL paid PR...just watch 'The Link' on ABC podcast.    The funniest part..amongst the staged feel good AFL bs one of the interviewed parents daughter is smiling wearing anArsenal jersey !

It'll never happen simply because Australian media  will be swamped by overseas stuff, Not only are they streets ahead in digital communication, their TV shows and media companies are just way too far ahead and they're markets are much bigger, so Australian media with it's parochial little game will be eaten up. AFL may be used as a laughing stock where it shows the game's Diversity CEO brawling with the opposition to lose his earner, get arrested by Police and generally make the game look as stupid and foolish as it is.
He was, truly, Aussie-rules media's worst advertisement and Australian media's bad nightmare.
The fact that this was given air time tells me that the love affair is getting thin and worn out.

Just watching the Concacaf in USA today is telling me that  parochial 1 country sports are up against it and have to fight hard and unfortunately they're crap.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

pippinu - 25 Jun 2017 12:44 PM
Gyfox - 24 Jun 2017 9:06 PM

That's interesting, because going by attendances and TV ratings, the ratio looks closer to 1.5:1, and that is being extremely generous to the Wanderers.

If we go by sponsorship revenue, the Giants would be quadruple what the Wanderers make.

It's strange that their sponsorship revenue is quadruple that of the Wanderers, but according to you, the Wanderers are meant to have six times the support. Those big corporations must be stupid.

Strange days indeed.

You're actually more retarded than I thought. Do you honestly think corps that sponsor a team like GWS do it because they are focused upon the geographic area they represent and the 5,000 attendees at the football match? If they play an away game in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth do you think they peel the sponsor logos off their shirts? Are you seriously that stupid?
Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

bohemia - 9 Jul 2017 6:44 PM

You're actually more retarded than I thought. Do you honestly think corps that sponsor a team like GWS do it because they are focused upon the geographic area they represent and the 5,000 attendees at the football match? If they play an away game in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth do you think they peel the sponsor logos off their shirts? Are you seriously that stupid?

I have said before the 'i' in his avatar stands for 'idiot'
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

If that were the case all teams in the league would have simalar sponsorship deals. And no club would struggle to find a sponsor. (Unless there is less than 10 companies that want to sponsor the HAL)

But the larger the club's fan base, the larger the sponsorship deal they can achieve. It is the same across every code and in every country.
Multibet
Multibet
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Gyfox - 24 Jun 2017 9:06 PM

That's interesting, because going by attendances and TV ratings, the ratio looks closer to 1.5:1, and that is being extremely generous to the Wanderers.

If we go by sponsorship revenue, the Giants would be quadruple what the Wanderers make.

It's strange that their sponsorship revenue is quadruple that of the Wanderers, but according to you, the Wanderers are meant to have six times the support. Those big corporations must be stupid.

Strange days indeed.

AFL HQ sending sponsors the Giants way is not something you measure a clubs fanbase on.

GWS membership and merch revenue is about 1.3m, that is the smaller than any team in the Aleague.

That shows you how small the Giants are in these parts.

Only an AFL flog would compare Football in western sydney to the AFL in western sydney.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Multibet
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
TimmyJ - 9 Jul 2017 8:37 PM

If that were the case all teams in the league would have simalar sponsorship deals. And no club would struggle to find a sponsor. (Unless there is less than 10 companies that want to sponsor the HAL)

But the larger the club's fan base, the larger the sponsorship deal they can achieve. It is the same across every code and in every country.

Unless the coprorations doing the sponsoring are complete fools, then yes, sponsorship revenue is an indicator of the reach of a sports team.

Unless it's the usual conspiracy theories (the media favour one sport unfairly, gee whiz, why don't the media favour us, woe is us, etc, etc)
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 8:11 AM
TimmyJ - 9 Jul 2017 8:37 PM

yes, sponsorship revenue is an indicator of the reach of a sports team.

So you at least admit it isn't indicative of how popular GWS is in western sydney relative to other teams/codes.

I have no idea who sponsors them but can we assume they are companies that want to advertise to the country as opposed to caring how popular the team itself is in west sydney?

Sometimes I do worry you believe the stuff you say
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

@pippinu

Just to clarify your point from before - I wasn't trying to deny that the Swans have a strong fan base now who go to games and watch on TV. They do, of course. I even go to a few games myself.

My argument was that they only got as big as they are now due to a huge assist by some one-off extraordinary factors that won't be repeated again.

It took 15 years, a grand finals appearance AND the complete fracturing of Rugby League before people jumped on The Swans in big numbers.

If I look at GWS, they have an even harder job. Not only will thise one-off factors not repeat themselves, the demographics of Western Sydney are tougher. Anyone in Western Sydney who loves AFL wasn't sitting around waiting for a team - they are already on the Swans.

The only way it will grow is to convert people who follow other sports. That is not going well.

You only need to visit any school. I'm a teacher and I'll tell you this - whenever the Auskick guys come out to schools, the kids do participate and have fun. But literally the moment those guys leave, the kids go straight back to the PE staff room and grab the round balls and rugby league balls. They are simply not interested at all.

If there was another big crack up in league, the major beneficiary would not be AFL. It would be either Football or (for those who still want contact sport) Rugby Union.

I suspect that the AFL could keep doing this for the next 20 years and nothing would change.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Lastbroadcast
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Lastbroadcast - 10 Jul 2017 11:08 AM
@pippinu

Just to clarify your point from before - I wasn't trying to deny that the Swans have a strong fan base now who go to games and watch on TV. They do, of course. I even go to a few games myself.

My argument was that they only got as big as they are now due to a huge assist by some one-off extraordinary factors that won't be repeated again.

It took 15 years, a grand finals appearance AND the complete fracturing of Rugby League before people jumped on The Swans in big numbers.

If I look at GWS, they have an even harder job. Not only will thise one-off factors not repeat themselves, the demographics of Western Sydney are tougher. Anyone in Western Sydney who loves AFL wasn't sitting around waiting for a team - they are already on the Swans.

The only way it will grow is to convert people who follow other sports. That is not going well.

You only need to visit any school. I'm a teacher and I'll tell you this - whenever the Auskick guys come out to schools, the kids do participate and have fun. But literally the moment those guys leave, the kids go straight back to the PE staff room and grab the round balls and rugby league balls. They are simply not interested at all.

If there was another big crack up in league, the major beneficiary would not be AFL. It would be either Football or (for those who still want contact sport) Rugby Union.

I suspect that the AFL could keep doing this for the next 20 years and nothing would change.

Oh well they can keep sinking their dough in the big black hole.
What was it, $16m or so mill that the AFL poured in the Giants last year?
Edited
7 Years Ago by aussie pride
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Davide82 - 10 Jul 2017 10:59 AM

So you at least admit it isn't indicative of how popular GWS is in western sydney relative to other teams/codes.

I have no idea who sponsors them but can we assume they are companies that want to advertise to the country as opposed to caring how popular the team itself is in west sydney?

Well, it's no secret that about one-third of the Giants' 20,000 strong membership comes from outside of greater Western Sydney:
[​IMG]

Edited
7 Years Ago by pippinu
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

....including 44 pet memberships.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

@pippinu

It's much harder than the what the Swans faced, no doubt, who struggled for a good 13 years before making a grand final appearance in 1996, which provided a lot of momentum (in fact the average attendances around 96-97 were extremely healthy), but note that they didn't make another grand final appearance for almost a decade.

On the other hand, the support from Canberra and the Southern NSW is going to help, so one wonders how things will look once they have been around for 13 years.

As I said in an earlier post, the Giants' sponsorship revenue is very healthy, and their ratings are good in comparison to the Wanderers, as are their membership numbers.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

aussie pride - 10 Jul 2017 12:45 PM

Oh well they can keep sinking their dough in the big black hole.
What was it, $16m or so mill that the AFL poured in the Giants last year?

Might even have been $17m, but the standard annual dividend is around the $11m mark, so the additional financial assistance is only $6 mill per annum.

What's that come to?  0.0002% of the $2.5 billion TV deal.   I mean seriously, it such a tiny drop of money, I was having trouble counting the number of zeroes to work out the percentage.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 1:50 PM
aussie pride - 10 Jul 2017 12:45 PM

Might even have been $17m, but the standard annual dividend is around the $11m mark, so the additional financial assistance is only $6 mill per annum.

What's that come to?  0.0002% of the $2.5 billion TV deal.   I mean seriously, it such a tiny drop of money, I was having trouble counting the number of zeroes to work out the percentage.

Well it is actually 4% of the annual tv deal income being given to the Giants, then if you want to include the overall amount they are sinking into that blackhole which generate no revenue outside of AFL handouts.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 1:40 PM

Well, it's no secret that about one-third of the Giants' 20,000 strong membership comes from outside of greater Western Sydney:
[​IMG]

How many of them were handed out to kids in primary schools?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Ninja Warrior with 1.7million viewers, so pretty easy to see why AFL is looking to convert itself to a more viewer friendly game along the lines of Big Bash.

Beaten by Eldar

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

[​IMG]

A frog's legs are made for jumping
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 10 Jul 2017 2:07 PM

A frog's legs are made for jumping

Although some use them for swimming as well.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

bigpoppa - 10 Jul 2017 2:02 PM

How many of them were handed out to kids in primary schools?

In the case of WA, SA and VIC you will find the members are well wishers who are members of existing clubs who take out an additional club membership for some philanthropic purpose. This really is a thing in AFL. Back in the day the club CEO of North Melbourne said something like 5% of its membership were traditionalists who wanted to keep the old order of Vic clubs in Melbourne and stave off the club's relocation to the Gold Coast. 

In the case of GWS this in no way suggests the club has actual supporters outside of Canberra, Riverina or some non descript part of Sydney. I'd bet plenty f the are also Swans supporters who doubled up.

As for those Penrith members, fuck me dead. Cold call all of them and find out how many can name 3 players and know they're not the Swans.
Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 10 Jul 2017 3:20 PM
bigpoppa - 10 Jul 2017 2:02 PM

In the case of WA, SA and VIC you will find the members are well wishers who are members of existing clubs who take out an additional club membership for some philanthropic purpose. This really is a thing in AFL. Back in the day the club CEO of North Melbourne said something like 5% of its membership were traditionalists who wanted to keep the old order of Vic clubs in Melbourne and stave off the club's relocation to the Gold Coast. 

In the case of GWS this in no way suggests the club has actual supporters outside of Canberra.

As for those Penrith members, fuck me dead. Cold call all of them and find out how many can name 3 players and know they're not the Swans.

Yeah agree, throw in my assumption with the Giants doing well this year, predicted to go deep into the finals, a fair few  Southern staters would purchase a membership for priority tickets to the grand final. A fair few, Vics might jump on board to spite the Swans aswell.

I find the Sydney numbers hard to believe though. Apparently a fair few passes etc get handed out in the schools up the there, I don't doubt they would be included.
Edited
7 Years Ago by bigpoppa
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

bigpoppa - 10 Jul 2017 3:27 PM
bohemia - 10 Jul 2017 3:20 PM

Yeah agree, throw in my assumption with the Giants doing well this year, predicted to go deep into the finals, a fair few  Southern staters would purchase a membership for priority tickets to the grand final. A fair few, Vics might jump on board to spite the Swans aswell.

I find the Sydney numbers hard to believe though. Apparently a fair few passes etc get handed out in the schools up the there, I don't doubt they would be included.

The Tele were advertising $99 memberships will a yearly Tele subscription the other week. Credit to them for trying, but I find the numbers odd when nearly every other sports team in the city gets higher average crowds.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jul 2017 5:33 PM

The Tele were advertising $99 memberships will a yearly Tele subscription the other week. Credit to them for trying, but I find the numbers odd when nearly every other sports team in the city gets higher average crowds.

Murdoch is Giants  new media sugar daddy  when he announced 'afl my favourite game'   (vomit)
..and the Tele will do what the Tele gotta  do....spin,  half-truths, pr , shameless propoganda , ..we know the spill/\.

Few months ago... .big 2 page spread on the 'Battle of the West'
Spiel on the battle for juniors in  ..ahem 'league heartland' was just hype and  all about the "big" afl's v league narrative. Sockah only  got a cursory mention:
 " ..though as a recent survey showed soccer was still ahead as leading participaton sport BUT the Giants have made huge strides in a league area ..blah bla "
Both photos were of kiddies in giants jersey kicking sherrins ofcourse....
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Don't get me wrong. GWS is not popular.  I simply state that the size and status of the club does matter but of course is not the only consideration.

As for whether the Giants can carve out a niche in Sydney like the Swans did, I guess time will tell. They will never be the biggest but they may be able to exist.  But they have a long long long way to go.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Have you seen the crowds of the Sydney NRL teams this year?
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 7:49 PM

Have you seen the crowds of the Sydney NRL teams this year?

Whats your point?

Canterbury  14,924
Cronulla  12,711 
Manly  13,200 
Parramatta 14,809 
Penrith 12,207
Souths 12,005 
St.George 12,533
Roosters 18,714
Wests 12,491
http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2017.html

GWS 11,710
http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

bigpoppa - 10 Jul 2017 8:13 PM
pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 7:49 PM

Whats your point?

Canterbury  14,924
Cronulla  12,711 
Manly  13,200 
Parramatta 14,809 
Penrith 12,207
Souths 12,005 
St.George 12,533
Roosters 18,714
Wests 12,491

Impressive.
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

sav.09@live.com.au - 10 Jul 2017 6:03 PM

Murdoch is Giants  new media sugar daddy  when he announced 'afl my favourite game'   (vomit)
..and the Tele will do what the Tele gotta  do....spin,  half-truths, pr , shameless propoganda , ..we know the spill/\.

Few months ago... .big 2 page spread on the 'Battle of the West'
Spiel on the battle for juniors in  ..ahem 'league heartland' was just hype and  all about the "big" afl's v league narrative. Sockah only  got a cursory mention:
 " ..though as a recent survey showed soccer was still ahead as leading participaton sport BUT the Giants have made huge strides in a league area ..blah bla "
Both photos were of kiddies in giants jersey kicking sherrins ofcourse....

interesting about Murdoch .... Owns 50% of Foxtel and loves the pay TV service , 
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

pippinu - 10 Jul 2017 8:14 PM
bigpoppa - 10 Jul 2017 8:13 PM

Impressive.

Don't deflect.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search