The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This doesn't fill me with confidence for Victory. I wonder if its contributing to our quiet off-season

https://josimarfootball.com/2023/07/03/the-777-football-mystery/?fbclid=IwAR38qapYFFj6n3JhWnhiAg3gIb_Iv2TmqGQBMm1808yymR_PG4xfq50havk

Edited
9 Months Ago by Quicky
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Half of the job is done. Brilliante is gone (thanks WSW, ya suckers). Now for Ikon.

As for Arzani, I think its a strange appointment for a team that has a problem keeping its players on the park. I hope he came cheaply. 
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I forgot MV were playing Chris good in midfield. 

Popa has to be the worst recruiter that MV have had 

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 10 Jul 2023 9:27 AM

As for Arzani, I think its a strange appointment for a team that has a problem keeping its players on the park. I hope he came cheaply. 

Free transfer. Transfermarkt value €450k? New 2 year Victory contract for unknown amount.
For MV’s sake and his own he must have his best ever season/s now 🤞
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)

Just in regards to the Age article regarding the training facility on the toxic wasteland, I'm not sure why Victory would have investigated another site in the west of Melbourne. 

They need to focus on the centre of Melbourne, the north, North east, and North-west of the city. Thats now the catchment, and its massive.

From a strategic point of view, I'd be looking at making a deal with Northcote City FC to take over John cain Memeorial park in Northcote/Ivanhoe as a training gorund/Academy/Administration centre.

It is perfect for what the club needs. 3/4 pitches, room for offices and gym setups, and the ability for a mini stadium for A-league Women/NPL matches. 

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Squidley - 14 Jul 2023 11:11 AM
Just in regards to the Age article regarding the training facility on the toxic wasteland, I'm not sure why Victory would have investigated another site in the west of Melbourne. 

They need to focus on the centre of Melbourne, the north, North east, and North-west of the city. Thats now the catchment, and its massive.

I don't know how familiar you are with Melbourne, but the proposed site is 13-14km from the city. You're not gonna find space for a stadium site any closer than that.

Then you have the nearby rail line, which will be connecting up to the new tunnel (opening 2025), which will link the south east with the north west and (eventually) the airport. I think its a brilliant location. Its also close to the Ring Road which if you don't fancy catching a train. 
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 14 Jul 2023 3:53 PM
Squidley - 14 Jul 2023 11:11 AM

I don't know how familiar you are with Melbourne, but the proposed site is 13-14km from the city. You're not gonna find space for a stadium site any closer than that.

Then you have the nearby rail line, which will be connecting up to the new tunnel (opening 2025), which will link the south east with the north west and (eventually) the airport. I think its a brilliant location. Its also close to the Ring Road which if you don't fancy catching a train. 

It's not a stadium they are looking to build. Its an academy site. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Carl Valeri is now on the Board of Directors at MV.
https://melbournevictory.com.au/news/carl-valeri-accepts-position-on-melbourne-victorys-board-of-directors

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 25 Jul 2023 1:01 PM

Hope that doesn't mean he is going to dump Gisborne SC... 

https://gisbornesoccer.com.au/news-feed/new-coaches-appointed

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Jul 2023 2:46 PM
someguyjc - 25 Jul 2023 1:01 PM

Hope that doesn't mean he is going to dump Gisborne SC... 

https://gisbornesoccer.com.au/news-feed/new-coaches-appointed

The MV article mentions that he is still the president at Gisborne SC, so I imagine he will most likely still be coaching. It's a board of directors role, which is basically just a handful of board meetings here and there.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 25 Jul 2023 3:04 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Jul 2023 2:46 PM

The MV article mentions that he is still the president at Gisborne SC, so I imagine he will most likely still be coaching. It's a board of directors role, which is basically just a handful of board meetings here and there.

Nice.. I have a cousin and his kids at Gizzie and they all rave about what a great guy Carl is and what a good job he is doing for the club. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Jul 2023 3:16 PM
someguyjc - 25 Jul 2023 3:04 PM

Nice.. I have a cousin and his kids at Gizzie and they all rave about what a great guy Carl is and what a good job he is doing for the club. 

Yep, definitely one of those blokes you want around. Only ever hear positive things about him.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

Teague and Machach look decent enough. And with Nish starting, it seems like we have a bit of depth. 
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)Rising Star (835 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 30 Oct 2023 1:12 PM
Teague and Machach look decent enough. And with Nish starting, it seems like we have a bit of depth. 

It's been a massive turn around so far but early days.

Machach looks a winner. Very strong on the ball, good technique and is a scoring threat. The interplay between him and Arzani was really damaging. Shifting the Newcastle defence and creating chances. 

It's great to see Fornaroli return to form. Velupillay scored an excellent goal. It's interesting to see him on the left but frequently switching with Arzani. Good to see a young player from our academies crack the starting 11. 

The defence looks shaky. But shouldn't be. On paper its very strong. 

I'm still feeling out the Teague and Marchan CM pairing. I'm not sure I have a view on it yet. It's good to see Teague getting minutes though. 

A bit of depth for offensive options between Brimmer, Folami and Ikonomides also. 

I hope we can maintain this form. 
AnthonyC
AnthonyC
Amateur
Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)

Quicky - 30 Oct 2023 4:09 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 30 Oct 2023 1:12 PM

It's been a massive turn around so far but early days.

Machach looks a winner. Very strong on the ball, good technique and is a scoring threat. The interplay between him and Arzani was really damaging. Shifting the Newcastle defence and creating chances. 

It's great to see Fornaroli return to form. Velupillay scored an excellent goal. It's interesting to see him on the left but frequently switching with Arzani. Good to see a young player from our academies crack the starting 11. 

The defence looks shaky. But shouldn't be. On paper its very strong. 

I'm still feeling out the Teague and Marchan CM pairing. I'm not sure I have a view on it yet. It's good to see Teague getting minutes though. 

A bit of depth for offensive options between Brimmer, Folami and Ikonomides also. 

I hope we can maintain this form. 

You thought your defence was shaky, did you? What about N/Castle? What about, nearly, every other team in this so called " elite " competition.
I've been saying it for a while now, but the problem is that someone does a good thing and the rest of the dross is forgotten, especially by the many so called expert commentators on this forum.

Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star

AnthonyC - 30 Oct 2023 4:36 PM
Quicky - 30 Oct 2023 4:09 PM

You thought your defence was shaky, did you? What about N/Castle? What about, nearly, every other team in this so called " elite " competition.
I've been saying it for a while now, but the problem is that someone does a good thing and the rest of the dross is forgotten, especially by the many so called expert commentators on this forum.

You won't find me arguing that there aren't flaws in the domestic game. And I don't think I've read anyone on here call the AL an elite competition. If anything the opposite. 

All that said I like watching the AL. I like seeing young players break through. And it's good to see the beginnings of a new Victory. I just hope it carries on. Because last year was shithouse for obvious reasons. It may get worse with our ownership yet. So I'll enjoy this while I can. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Bonza gone. Turkish Airlines in.
https://melbournevictory.com.au/news/melbourne-victory-lands-turkish-airlines-as-its-new-principal-partner

Melbourne Victory Lands Turkish Airlines as its New Principal Partner

Melbourne Victory is pleased to announce that Turkish Airlines will become the Club’s Principal Partner for the next three years, commencing from the start of the 2024/25 season.

The world-renowned international airline will become the front-of-shirt partner for the Club’s Isuzu UTE A-League Men’s, Liberty A-League Women’s as well as all Academy sides and will feature prominently throughout signage, in-stadia activations and the Club’s digital footprint.

Melbourne Victory Managing Director, Caroline Carnegie said the Club-wide partnership with Turkish Airlines will link Victory with one of the world’s most recognisable airlines and brands.

“We are excited to partner with Turkish Airlines as part of their expansion into Melbourne from March 2024,” Carnegie said.

“To partner with such an esteemed business, which is also connected with the likes of the UEFA Champions League and the Türkiye National Football Team as well as some of Türkiye’s domestic footballing giants is significant for Melbourne Victory.

“Turkish Airlines is a global powerhouse of the aviation business, winning countless awards for their service, customer satisfaction and sustainability and we are proud to be able to partner with them for the next three years and help them launch their brand in the Australian market.

“Bonza, who is owned by 777 Partners, a strategic shareholder of Melbourne Victory, have been extremely supportive in allowing the Club to maximise this new opportunity with Turkish Airlines, and will remain a major partner of the Club. 

“It is a real coup for our members and fans, to be able to align with both a premium international and a growing domestic airline partner.  

“We also thank MATE who have been our Liberty A-League front-of-shirt partner for the past three seasons and are excited about having them remain part of the Victory family.”

On the new partnership, Turkish Airlines Chairman of the Board and the Executive Committee Prof. Dr. Ahmet Bolat stated they are glad to embark on this journey with Melbourne Victory.

“It is a truly fitting partnership right now as we celebrate our inaugural entry into the vibrant city of Melbourne,” Professor Dr. Ahmet Bolat said.

“Leveraging our shared values of excellence and passion for success to create memorable experiences for football fans and travellers alike is traditional for our airline at this point as we support numerous clubs in many athletic branches.”

Turkish Airlines has introduced direct flights between Melbourne and Istanbul starting with three services per week from 1 March 2024, with the potential to grow to a daily service in the future.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

someguyjc - 4 Mar 2024 12:16 PM
Bonza gone. Turkish Airlines in.
https://melbournevictory.com.au/news/melbourne-victory-lands-turkish-airlines-as-its-new-principal-partner

Melbourne Victory Lands Turkish Airlines as its New Principal Partner

Melbourne Victory is pleased to announce that Turkish Airlines will become the Club’s Principal Partner for the next three years, commencing from the start of the 2024/25 season.

The world-renowned international airline will become the front-of-shirt partner for the Club’s Isuzu UTE A-League Men’s, Liberty A-League Women’s as well as all Academy sides and will feature prominently throughout signage, in-stadia activations and the Club’s digital footprint.

Melbourne Victory Managing Director, Caroline Carnegie said the Club-wide partnership with Turkish Airlines will link Victory with one of the world’s most recognisable airlines and brands.

“We are excited to partner with Turkish Airlines as part of their expansion into Melbourne from March 2024,” Carnegie said.

“To partner with such an esteemed business, which is also connected with the likes of the UEFA Champions League and the Türkiye National Football Team as well as some of Türkiye’s domestic footballing giants is significant for Melbourne Victory.

“Turkish Airlines is a global powerhouse of the aviation business, winning countless awards for their service, customer satisfaction and sustainability and we are proud to be able to partner with them for the next three years and help them launch their brand in the Australian market.

“Bonza, who is owned by 777 Partners, a strategic shareholder of Melbourne Victory, have been extremely supportive in allowing the Club to maximise this new opportunity with Turkish Airlines, and will remain a major partner of the Club. 

“It is a real coup for our members and fans, to be able to align with both a premium international and a growing domestic airline partner.  

“We also thank MATE who have been our Liberty A-League front-of-shirt partner for the past three seasons and are excited about having them remain part of the Victory family.”

On the new partnership, Turkish Airlines Chairman of the Board and the Executive Committee Prof. Dr. Ahmet Bolat stated they are glad to embark on this journey with Melbourne Victory.

“It is a truly fitting partnership right now as we celebrate our inaugural entry into the vibrant city of Melbourne,” Professor Dr. Ahmet Bolat said.

“Leveraging our shared values of excellence and passion for success to create memorable experiences for football fans and travellers alike is traditional for our airline at this point as we support numerous clubs in many athletic branches.”

Turkish Airlines has introduced direct flights between Melbourne and Istanbul starting with three services per week from 1 March 2024, with the potential to grow to a daily service in the future.

Hmmmmm hope that doesn't alienate any non-Turkish Victory fans. Maybe Tsitsipas wont be comfortable with the front of shirt sponsor and wont wear it during his annual Stalactites souva fest next summer :P
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 Mar 2024 2:18 PM
Hmmmmm hope that doesn't alienate any non-Turkish Victory fans. Maybe Tsitsipas wont be comfortable with the front of shirt sponsor and wont wear it during his annual Stalactites souva fest next summer :P

Even if it does, better to alienate a small segment of the fanbase than alienate the entire fanbase with the dumb Bonza logo. 
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

i was at the victory in business lunch the other day....interesting talking to people in the club. Off-field they are in good shape...surprisingly after bucket boy their commercial operations have only increased and strengthened 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

While I am happy to be third and in with a sneaky chance to snag second, I think the fact that we are this high on the table with a very poor squad, is an indictment of the quality of the AL this season.

On another note, there are rumours around the traps that Mark Milligan will be our coach next year with Berisha as his assistant. I think that would make most Vuck fans happy and will maybe encourage a few disillusioned fans to return.

FWIW, I reckon Popa is gone, even if we fluke the toilet seat.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 2 Apr 2024 8:31 AM
While I am happy to be third and in with a sneaky chance to snag second, I think the fact that we are this high on the table with a very poor squad, is an indictment of the quality of the AL this season.

On another note, there are rumours around the traps that Mark Milligan will be our coach next year with Berisha as his assistant. I think that would make most Vuck fans happy and will maybe encourage a few disillusioned fans to return.

FWIW, I reckon Popa is gone, even if we fluke the toilet seat.

'Very poor squad' is a bit harsh mate. There are some weak spots for sure, but plenty of players performing very well. Front third is the main weak spot. A touch better finishing this season and we'd be premiers with a very comfortable lead. Salary cap is only $2.6m, that doesn't buy much these days.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Leigh Broxham retires from professional football
https://melbournevictory.com.au/news/leigh-broxham-retires-from-professional-football/

Melbourne Victory can announce that Club legend Leigh Broxham will retire at the end of the 2023/24 Isuzu UTE A-League season.

After an incredible 18 seasons at Melbourne Victory, the A-League’s games record holder will call an end to his illustrious career that has seen him take part in four Championships, three Premierships and two Australia Cups at Melbourne Victory.

Having made over 450 competitive appearances for the Club in the A-League, Australia Cup and Asian Champions League, Broxham has also represented his country at senior international level in 2008, when he picked up his sole international cap against Singapore.

Broxham made his name in the competition for his incredible versatility and professionalism, playing in every position across the defence and midfield in his evergreen career.

Broxham reflected fondly over his time in football saying he was proud of not only his achievements at the Club, but the friends and memories he has made along his career.

“It’s been an incredible journey for me in professional football and now it’s time to close the book on this chapter of my life and open a new chapter for my family and I,” Broxham said.

“I’ve had moments and experiences in the game that will stay with me forever and I have made lifelong friends that only football can create and I will be forever grateful for that.

“Being at Melbourne Victory for 18 seasons is something that I am incredibly proud of. This Club has been a part of more than half of my life and I’d like to thank everyone, from the players, coaches and staff who have been a part of my journey over my career.

“But most importantly, I want to thank my family. My wife Sam and kids Sonny, Billie and Mila for being there every day for me. During the good days and the bad, the highs and the lows, my family has always supported me and I can not wait to be there for them in our next chapter as a family.”

Melbourne Victory Chairman John Dovaston thanked Broxham for his impact on the Club, and the influence he has had over the journey on our younger players as they developed into the squad.

“We thank Leigh for his enormous contribution to the Club. Leigh will always be a part of the Victory family, and we look forward to supporting him and his family as they embark on their next chapter.” Dovaston said.

Melbourne Victory’s Managing Director Caroline Carnegie also reflected fondly on Broxham’s career.

“Leigh’s journey from a football team assistant and gear steward to one of the most beloved figures in Melbourne Victory’s history is a story that will forever be a part of the fabric of this great Club,” Carnegie said.

“We are all grateful for what Leigh has contributed to Melbourne Victory and the A-Leagues in his 18 consecutive seasons as a player, and what will be many more as a Club legend, of course with Sam and the kids by his side.

“Leigh’s loyalty, professionalism and desire to win is all we ask from anyone who pulls on a Victory shirt. Broxy has been and will continue to be an example of what it means to be a part of Melbourne Victory, whether that be on the pitch, in the stands or in our offices.”

Melbourne Victory Director of Football John Didulica also lauded Broxham’s contribution to the Club.

“Leigh has been one of the great success stories of the A-League,” Didulica said.

“It’s unlikely that we’ll ever see a player enjoy such longevity and such success with one Club, possibly anywhere in the world, and we should pause for a moment and celebrate it.

“It’s a testament to Leigh’s qualities as a footballer coupled with his relentlessness which will see him step away from the field as the league’s all-time game’s record holder, multiple championship winner and capped Socceroo.”

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

Seems like he's not staying at the club. You would have thought the club would have found a role for him.  
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 24 Apr 2024 8:07 AM
Seems like he's not staying at the club. You would have thought the club would have found a role for him.  

I reckon he will have a role at the club at some point. Might just want to take a bit of a break.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search