The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I think that  might be the last we see of Hope. 
With Raul back and Georg, Donks, Honda all coming back plus Elivs looking dangerous I think his last couple of games have sealed his fate.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Iknowbest - 2 Feb 2019 11:39 PM
I think that  might be the last we see of Hope. 
With Raul back and Georg, Donks, Honda all coming back plus Elivs looking dangerous I think his last couple of games have sealed his fate.

Just not quite up to it unfortunately as he does some really nice things. At 21 he has to start putting together, I don't know whether it's him needing to get physically stronger or that he gets in awkward body positioning (or probably both) but he gives me no confidence when he's put under pressure. Just can't keep giving up those kinds of turnovers in the middle of the park
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I don't want to be a drama queen, but the game this Sunday against Perth is a must-win - I fear that if we lose it, with the ACL on the horizon, we just won't be able to catch Perth. Win however, and it draws the margin back to just one point. Should be a ripping game!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
walnuts - 4 Feb 2019 11:52 AM
I don't want to be a drama queen, but the game this Sunday against Perth is a must-win - I fear that if we lose it, with the ACL on the horizon, we just won't be able to catch Perth. Win however, and it draws the margin back to just one point. Should be a ripping game!

Massive game. As you say it's a must-win to stay in touch with Perth before the ACL starts. A loss and Sydney will most likely leapfrog us.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

paladisious - 4 Feb 2019 11:56 AM
walnuts - 4 Feb 2019 11:52 AM

Massive game. As you say it's a must-win to stay in touch with Perth before the ACL starts. A loss and Sydney will most likely leapfrog us.

It would be a travesty for the Victory team to finish below Sydney FC. They look pretty mediocre this year.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Is the Premiers plate the main target this year?
Given the style of play I think the ACL and the finals are the main objective.
Sure it would be good to get the plate, the trophy and do well in the ACL but that is expecting a great deal in one season.
For me, KM is trying to get the boys to play a style that is fantastic to watch (and do well in ACL / finals)  but not necessarily a style that wins you a plate (that would just be a bonus).
A classic example of this approach was game 1 vs Perth. A team trying to win the plate would have settled for 2-2 at 90 mins and not go for the win.

Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Premiers plate should always be the goal. Understand if we don't finish 1st considering the injuries we've had, but auto ACL qualification is so important. 

Perth will slip up at some point. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

With only 5 points separating 1st and 3rd and 30 points still up for grabs, the premiers plate would definitely by the goal. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes right down to the final round though.
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)

I keep expecting Perth to slip up...but they look so good at the moment. Didn’t seem to miss Ikon either, he’s a huge boost to their run home
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Iknowbest - 4 Feb 2019 12:19 PM
Sure it would be good to get the plate, the trophy and do well in the ACL but that is expecting a great deal in one season.
For me, KM is trying to get the boys to play a style that is fantastic to watch (and do well in ACL / finals)  but not necessarily a style that wins you a plate (that would just be a bonus).
A classic example of this approach was game 1 vs Perth. A team trying to win the plate would have settled for 2-2 at 90 mins and not go for the win.

i don't fancy trying to find a way to get to Perth for another away GF. We need to win the plate. and I am hopeful we will.   
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I would suggest we play a style which is difficult to play when we are missing key midfielders. Look at our for form with no Honda or Baena, we had to be more physical and grind games out. Before the injuries we were looking like a title winning side (excluding round 1 and 2). Once you take two key midfielders out we don't have the depth to cover midfield and get run over to easily.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

Bocca - 4 Feb 2019 1:46 PM

I would suggest we play a style which is difficult to play when we are missing key midfielders. Look at our for form with no Honda or Baena, we had to be more physical and grind games out. Before the injuries we were looking like a title winning side (excluding round 1 and 2). Once you take two key midfielders out we don't have the depth to cover midfield and get run over to easily.

Good comment.
I have been very impressed with Baena since the first game he played.
I like his game and his attitiude.
A full MV squad is very impressive and can play some really high class football.
I think that is what KM has been aiming for as opposed to PG, MC and SFC who play more for points and less for attractiveness. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Any update on Ola?
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
433 - 4 Feb 2019 3:01 PM
Any update on Ola?

The fact that he was on the bench suggests to me that it was a precautionary rest, and that he should be fine for Perth.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

jlm8695 - 4 Feb 2019 3:42 PM
433 - 4 Feb 2019 3:01 PM

The fact that he was on the bench suggests to me that it was a precautionary rest, and that he should be fine for Perth.

If Carl had not have come off before half time you would have expected to see him come on for Kenny during the second half.
Carl, Honda, Storm and Dongs are the bigger question marks for me.

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I think Carl has just done way too much work this season, probably didn’t anticipate starting every game due to injuries

I watched him off the ball during the Sydney game and he looked absolutely fucked by the 70th minute
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

433 - 4 Feb 2019 3:53 PM
I think Carl has just done way too much work this season, probably didn’t anticipate starting every game due to injuries I watched him off the ball during the Sydney game and he looked absolutely fucked by the 70th minute

He came off at 44mins.
But otherwise I totally agree. He has done a truck load this season especially in the new diamond system. He must be stuffed.

World Class

Iknowbest - 4 Feb 2019 3:57 PM
433 - 4 Feb 2019 3:53 PM

He came off at 44mins.
But otherwise I totally agree. He has done a truck load this season especially in the new diamond system. He must be stuffed.

Was referring to the Australia day game vs Sydney at AAMI. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Yeah think Carl  knew he was gonna be a squaddie this season and play most games off the bench  . He is a warrior but we can see he slowing 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 4 Feb 2019 5:14 PM
Yeah think Carl  knew he was gonna be a squaddie this season and play most games off the bench  . He is a warrior but we can see he slowing 

Reckon CV has had his best season since his illness. but i agree, he wasn't expected to play such a big role this season. it will continue of course with ACL around the corner. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

One month to go until we return to the ACL. :)
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro

paladisious - 5 Feb 2019 11:59 AM
One month to go until we return to the ACL. :)

We need to bare minimum make it out of our group with this squad.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

So many more shelves to add to our trophy cabinet.
Solano
Solano
Fan
Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)

paladisious - 5 Feb 2019 9:45 PM

So many more shelves to add to our trophy cabinet.

Thinking we may need a dedicated warehouse for them.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Solano - 6 Feb 2019 7:51 AM
paladisious - 5 Feb 2019 9:45 PM

Thinking we may need a dedicated warehouse for them.

Dingo
Dingo
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)Hardcore Fan (197 reputation)

Well done ladies, get to the game this weekend and support them in the semi
Champs
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)Amateur (700 reputation)

Brilliant stuff! Watched the 2-2 draw with Sydney FC not long ago and did well to come back twice after a pretty average start to the game.
We beat Perth 2-1 both games we played this season, so hopefully we can knock em off again!
zugzwang52
zugzwang52
Super Fan
Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)

Heard a whisper Nic Sette has gone to City, anyone know if that's true?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

zugzwang52 - 6 Feb 2019 2:08 PM
Heard a whisper Nic Sette has gone to City, anyone know if that's true?

Well he has been released by Victory. I thought he was trying his luck overseas but that may just be my assumption.
zugzwang52
zugzwang52
Super Fan
Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)

paladisious - 6 Feb 2019 2:14 PM
zugzwang52 - 6 Feb 2019 2:08 PM

Well he has been released by Victory. I thought he was trying his luck overseas but that may just be my assumption.

Was originally my thinking too but over the weekend heard that through the mail. From what I've seen, Nic has some really good qualities but his head seems to be holding him back. Hopefully wherever he goes to, things work out. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search