The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'd be happy either way, if he stays/goes.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

433 - 12 May 2019 10:21 PM
Fuck it, just go after Rudes. If he can get Wellington playing that sort of football with that little resources, imagine what he could do with a Melbourne Victory squad. 

He took Nix from 9th place to 6th. Imagine. 
AnthonyC
AnthonyC
Amateur
Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)

Waz - 13 May 2019 5:53 AM
433 - 12 May 2019 10:21 PM

He took Nix from 9th place to 6th. Imagine. 

And where did your team finish. Is this a deflection because of the embarrassment you feel.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

AnthonyC - 13 May 2019 6:59 AM
Waz - 13 May 2019 5:53 AM

And where did your team finish. Is this a deflection because of the embarrassment you feel.

No. That was an attempt to discuss the merits of a coach mentioned as a possible successor to Muscat.

Where Roar ended up on the table is irrelevant unless Victory are considering hiring the Aloisi’s

its not that hard to follow is it? Certainly not as hard as keeping up with Sydney’s score in a Big Blue anyway ... 

(hey, you opened the door I just wanted to talk coaches 😂) 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Looking back, Merrick got the sack for less.

Some tough calls ahead for Victory higher ups.

-PB

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Who will have the balls to tell Muscat his fired? 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 13 May 2019 9:05 AM

There is zero chance he will get fired. He may quit if he has an opportunity overseas but definitely won't get fired. He has way too much history with the club. That being said, there will be a lot of pressure on him next season. 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 13 May 2019 9:18 AM

There is zero chance he will get fired. He may quit if he has an opportunity overseas but definitely won't get fired. He has way too much history with the club. That being said, there will be a lot of pressure on him next season. 

The bolded bit is what worries me if I'm truly honest - he appears to have an almost unshakable stranglehold on the club (Teflon Kev).

I'm torn - he's definitely won the trophies at this level, and it's difficult to take the club to the next level when we're shackled by the salary cap (as all top clubs are) but I can't help but shake the feeling that Kev runs out of ideas far too rapidly when things aren't going his way. Add in that he's clearly incapable of taking the club to any form of ACL success and, well - maybe he doesn't need to be fired, but perhaps let his contract run out gracefully?

Idk, I really am torn. I guess I'm just sick of the same approach year after year.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 13 May 2019 9:02 AM
Looking back, Merrick got the sack for less.

Some tough calls ahead for Victory higher ups.

-PB

Merrick was sacked after a 5-0 loss to Gamba Osaka, but i take your point. we do have some decisions to make. 

I said at the start of the season we may have assembled the best squad in HAL history, but our defence had way too many holes and we continually lacked a bit of imagination and cohesion in the front third. 

no one. Kev is a legend of the club and his departure will be a mutual decision. i would be shocked if it was made for him. Personally i think its time for him to move on and further himself elsewhere, but I'm pretty certain he will stay for one more year.

But his coaching style needs to be questioned, no doubt. 12 months ago we were saying his system was too predictable. and many gave him credit for changing the system this year. it proved he could be adaptable as a coach. But last night he got embarrassed tactically by a first year coach. And that wasn't the only time he's fallen short when it comes to the tactical side of things. Popa, Rudan, Kurz, all had his measure at times this year.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Tbf, he should go for hiring Brown and Roux lol

-PB

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 13 May 2019 9:33 AM
paulbagzFC - 13 May 2019 9:02 AM

Merrick was sacked after a 5-0 loss to Gamba Osaka, but i take your point. we do have some decisions to make. 

I said at the start of the season we may have assembled the best squad in HAL history, but our defence had way too many holes and we continually lacked a bit of imagination and cohesion in the front third. 

no one. Kev is a legend of the club and his departure will be a mutual decision. i would be shocked if it was made for him. Personally i think its time for him to move on and further himself elsewhere, but I'm pretty certain he will stay for one more year.

But his coaching style needs to be questioned, no doubt. 12 months ago we were saying his system was too predictable. and many gave him credit for changing the system this year. it proved he could be adaptable as a coach. But last night he got embarrassed tactically by a first year coach. And that wasn't the only time he's fallen short when it comes to the tactical side of things. Popa, Rudan, Kurz, all had his measure at times this year.

With you on this. 

I can understand another year but if he moved on I also understand that. 

Still has had a great record. Not sure if there’s another local coach worth changing him for so could be big ask.  
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

tsf - 13 May 2019 10:46 AM
Still has had a great record. Not sure if there’s another local coach worth changing him for so could be big ask.  

i think Carlos Pérez Salvachúa is being groomed to take over when Kev's time comes. 
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 13 May 2019 11:27 AM
tsf - 13 May 2019 10:46 AM

i think Carlos Pérez Salvachúa is being groomed to take over when Kev's time comes. 

Yeap. It is the most logical path.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Group: Banned Members
Would not want any HAL coach outside of Popa

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Hard to justify sacking Muscat as he has been successful. But we were shown up in the ACL as posers and that loss was disastrous. Not sure if the new system really ever worked for us. We seemed to win games more with individual brilliance than anything else. Completely out coached in our biggest game against our biggest rivals is very hard to take for all Victory fans.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Bocca - 13 May 2019 12:15 PM
Hard to justify sacking Muscat as he has been successful. But we were shown up in the ACL as posers and that loss was disastrous. Not sure if the new system really ever worked for us. We seemed to win games more with individual brilliance than anything else. Completely out coached in our biggest game against our biggest rivals is very hard to take for all Victory fans.

Yep, best team we've probably ever had (for Asia) and we got outplayed.

-PB

DandyCasey
DandyCasey
Hacker
Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)Hacker (322 reputation)

System didn’t quite work with Kamsoba starting for mine.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Not giving him crap but do any victory fans reckon kamasoba has done much? Imo he looks like he belongs but he only seems to run with ball. No killer passes or finishing. Def should be there next year and could do well building on this season hopefully. 
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

People are starting to catch onto the fact that Muscat coached teams are generally all about inidividuals delivering rather then some coaching masterclass. Funny enough Lawrence Thomas was his key saviour in last year’s playoffs saving just about everything, this time he started kevs demise 3 minutes in. In fact Thomas won the Marston Medal in last year’s grand final. The first time I believe it had ever been won by a keeper.

MV have a decision to make, do they want to start competing for premiers plates and satisfying the membership again, or do they want to continue with these middle of the road 3rd and 4th placed finishes where the football is largely lacklustre and the whole thing depends on inidividuals saving the coaches ass.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

southmelb - 13 May 2019 12:58 PM
People are starting to catch onto the fact that Muscat coached teams are generally all about inidividuals delivering rather then some coaching masterclass. Funny enough Lawrence Thomas was his key saviour in last year’s playoffs saving just about everything, this time he started kevs demise 3 minutes in. In fact Thomas won the Marston Medal in last year’s grand final. The first time I believe it had ever been won by a keeper.

MV have a decision to make, do they want to start competing for premiers plates and satisfying the membership again, or do they want to continue with these middle of the road 3rd and 4th placed finishes where the football is largely lacklustre and the whole thing depends on inidividuals saving the coaches ass.

i think thats a pretty fair assessment. and i would say that the fans are not satisfied with finishing 3rd and 4th. some would say we improved this year. 9 points more on the table and 13 points closer to the premiers plate winner. but we were out of the running for the league 3 months ago. i concede we have tightened the purse strings in recent seasons to save the money for our COE. but that ended this year with the signing of Honda. so we expected much better. we've only won the league once in 10 years. its going to be an interesting offseason. 
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

tsf - 13 May 2019 12:52 PM
Not giving him crap but do any victory fans reckon kamasoba has done much? Imo he looks like he belongs but he only seems to run with ball. No killer passes or finishing. Def should be there next year and could do well building on this season hopefully. 

I don't think he is a starter for next season, but definitely as an impact sub.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

Bocca - 13 May 2019 1:43 PM
I don't think he is a starter for next season, but definitely as an impact sub.

lets not forget we signed him mid-season. give him a full pre-season under our tutelage and a bit more experience, and he might be able to make the LW his own. still only 22. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

knives out for muscrat?  

he's been one of the standout australian coaches of the HAL era. arnie, ange, popa, muscrat.  you can't win every year. he's been better than anyone we've had at city.

im surprised he hasnt had a run in the u.k. yet.  he would hold his own in the championship. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by inala brah
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
@southmelb

Maty won the Joe Marston Medal in 2011. 
BA81
BA81
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

The MusKRat and his tambourine-clanging fanboys can get in the bin right about now TBH.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

So we have a game next week... 

Club should do gold coin tickets or some shit like that, get as many people through as possible for Carl's farewell. 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Also confirmed that we will have the ACL playoff spot for next season. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

jlm8695 - 16 May 2019 10:27 AM

Well, what's the point. 

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Wouldnt you just have a qualifying spot?

ARNIE= LEGEND

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

RedKat - 16 May 2019 10:31 AM

Wouldnt you just have a qualifying spot?

What do you mean?

Automatic Spot  1: Perth
Automatic Spot 2: Sydney
Playoff spot : Melbourne

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search