Griffin slams FFA over Asian import quota

Griffin slams FFA over Asian import quota

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 10:57 AM
RedKat - 16 Jan 2017 6:59 PM

Doubt it , and I'm not surprised.  Often wonder why he's still around.

He seems to have taken over from Sage since the Cap-Rort deal muzzled him.

They don't write articles on things he likes.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Nachoman - 16 Jan 2017 9:51 PM
farken this guy is an embarrassment sometimes to our club.... Ask the north adelaide football club ( sanfl ) what they thought of Griffins tenure there.... 

He is also real good at writing Press Releases. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/RAMPAGE-SLAM-BADER.gif

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Nachoman - 16 Jan 2017 9:51 PM
farken this guy is an embarrassment sometimes to our club.... Ask the north adelaide football club ( sanfl ) what they thought of Griffins tenure there.... 

Kent never shuts up. 
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Davide82 - 17 Jan 2017 9:30 AM
Davo1985 - 16 Jan 2017 9:55 PM

Where to even begin with this post....

You can begin by showing how he has done the opposite of what I just said.

You mentioned that he's been elected and thus his opinion may be what other owners are also thinking, but they are merely assumptions. The number of times he has come out stronger in a negative sense than any other owner on all issues relating to FFA is mind boggling. I don't even recall him ever coming out into support any initiative that isn't completely contractional. Always thinking in ways to suppress the game by bringing everyone down to the lowest denominator. Just because he knows his club couldn't keep up with the bigger clubs.

The only thing he's done recently that I support and see as forward thinking is putting pressure to build a football specific stadium near the city (not with his money of course tho). And really the only way to prove to state Government that it's the right way forward is to prove that Hindmarsh is too small, yet the club still can't sell it out unless playing against Victory. Invest in the squad properly by going above and beyond the salary cap in marketable marquees and the stadium will fill up every time and this will provide a real case for a new stadium. When ADP came to town, the place was packed. And rather than constantly chat about certain marquee players they have missed out on, how about they actually land one for a change. 

They won the title last year but totally dropped the ball because rather than investing in the club by building those links with new supporters, they chose the cheap route of hoping that everything would fall into place without having to spend any money. 

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Davo1985 - 17 Jan 2017 3:25 PM

. And rather than constantly chat about certain marquee players they have missed out on, how about they actually land one for a change. ............

They won the title last year ...........

LOL

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 10:59 AM
Davo1985 - 16 Jan 2017 9:55 PM

In the Centralised Guest Marquee fund we trust

Nah just out of their own pocket rather than piggy backing the FFA. But Griffin wouldnt dare do that. He would much prefer to have news circulating that they are close to signing a marketable marquee like a Klose or a Toni but in reality knowing very well they will never actually get one of those players.

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 3:27 PM

LOL

My point isn't about building on the park, it's about building off it. It's what Griffin seems to go on about a lot. So im answering in relation to that.

PS where are they now on the ladder? 

LOL!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Davo1985
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Davo1985 - 17 Jan 2017 3:31 PM

My point isn't about building on the park, its about building off it. It's what Griffin seems to go on about a lot. So im answering in relation to that.

Build off the park ?

FFA rule 1 :   As long as you do it with your own money but we make up the rules

P.S We'll take a 13% payrise to make up the rules again this year.

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

You mentioned that he's been elected and thus his opinion may be what other owners are also thinking, but they are merely assumptions. The number of times he has come out stronger in a negative sense than any other owner on all issues relating to FFA is mind boggling. I don't even recall him ever coming out into support any initiative that isn't completely contractional. Always thinking in ways to suppress the game by bringing everyone down to the lowest denominator. Just because he knows his club couldn't keep up with the bigger clubs.

The only thing he's done recently that I support and see as forward thinking is putting pressure to build a football specific stadium near the city (not with his money of course tho). And really the only way to prove to state Government that it's the right way forward is to prove that Hindmarsh is too small, yet the club still can't sell it out unless playing against Victory. Invest in the squad properly by going above and beyond the salary cap in marketable marquees and the stadium will fill up every time and this will provide a real case for a new stadium. When ADP came to town, the place was packed. And rather than constantly chat about certain marquee players they have missed out on, how about they actually land one for a change. 

They won the title last year but totally dropped the ball because rather than investing in the club by building those links with new supporters, they chose the cheap route of hoping that everything would fall into place without having to spend any money. 

Spot on. 
World Class

LOL!

Who cares, they're safe from relegation

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

My point isn't about building on the park, it's about building off it. It's what Griffin seems to go on about a lot. So im answering in relation to that.

LOL!

LOL indeed
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

LOL!

You are answering a question I did not ask and doing so in a hysterical manner as seems to be your way. It's amazing.

Your initial rant was also based on the assertion we pay the bare minimum salary floor and always have done which is just plain wrong.

You then took something you made up, ran with it and whipped yourself into a frenzy.

You then rant about the type of marquee that we have seen maybe 3-4 of in A-League history across all teams (all of which were flops on the park but one was good off it) and suggest he should pay for one because you, a fan of another team who has a Russian sugar daddy and the advantage of being in the biggest, best known city in Australia where the benefits of a marquee MIGHT actually exist, would like to see one to prove he has the same passion for a football club as you do.....Someone who runs one of the clubs in the league and has seen us stop being nomads, have a training base and win a fucking championship, premiership and FFA Cup in the same time frame that you joined this forum as a mild mannered young poster who became a hysterical loud mouth who follows a club who has done JACK SHIT trophy wise in the same years Griffin has run United.

Griffin can be a tosser, but you talk more shit than even he does.

Have a good day :)

Edited
7 Years Ago by Davide82
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
jlm8695 lauds Davide82's slam. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by jlm8695
World Class

jlm8695 - 17 Jan 2017 4:00 PM

Image result for tip hat animated gif

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

jlm8695 - 17 Jan 2017 4:00 PM

Edited
7 Years Ago by Gayfish
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

What a stupid decision. Are there any good players in Asia that would come here for a pittance of a wage?

FFA should instead enforce an U23 Australian player in every starting team to help build the new gen. 

Funny enough China just made that exact change. Guess they are a forward looking group
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Davide82 - 17 Jan 2017 3:43 PM

LOL indeed

No i stand by my original point. He brought the matter of on field so I ended up talking at his level which just made him silly because even if I were speaking about on field, that they are last so his point is moot either way.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Davo1985
World Class

Davo1985 - 17 Jan 2017 5:05 PM
Davide82 - 17 Jan 2017 3:43 PM

No i stand by my original point. He brought the matter of on field so I ended up talking at his level which just made him silly because even if I were speaking about on field, that they are last so his point is moot either way.

Yeah, ......No...........Yeah

I think
https://www.altushost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/The-Big-Lebowski-WTF-Gif.gif

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Davide82 - 17 Jan 2017 3:58 PM

You are answering a question I did not ask and doing so in a hysterical manner as seems to be your way. It's amazing.

Your initial rant was also based on the assertion we pay the bare minimum salary floor and always have done which is just plain wrong.

You then took something you made up, ran with it and whipped yourself into a frenzy.

You then rant about the type of marquee that we have seen maybe 3-4 of in A-League history across all teams (all of which were flops on the park but one was good off it) and suggest he should pay for one because you, a fan of another team who has a Russian sugar daddy and the advantage of being in the biggest, best known city in Australia where the benefits of a marquee MIGHT actually exist, would like to see one to prove he has the same passion for a football club as you do.....Someone who runs one of the clubs in the league and has seen us stop being nomads, have a training base and win a fucking championship, premiership and FFA Cup in the same time frame that you joined this forum as a mild mannered young poster who became a hysterical loud mouth who follows a club who has done JACK SHIT trophy wise in the same years Griffin has run United.

Griffin can be a tosser, but you talk more shit than even he does.

Have a good day :)

You haven't brought up any stats to prove that it wouldn't work in Adelaide. All you have done is accused me of going on a rant, then followed it up with your own rant..

Attendances and ratings for Sydney FC, City and Melbourne Victory as well as the league as a whole have risen when marquee players such as Yorke, ADP, Heskey, Kewell, Villa, Cahill were/are playing. FACT. Marquee players grow the club and the game as a whole which is absolutely vital. Adelaide perhaps should try and do the same and attempt to bring some high profile talent with all the evidence previously leaning towards higher crowds and ratings. This would actually help his cause of maybe getting a bigger stadium in the future would it not? What is flawed with that kind of thinking??

What would be your solution then? 

My point on all this (which btw was also echoed by a number of Adelaide United fans on this thread earlier), is that Griffin has a strong tendency to always take a negative stance on any direction that the FFA take. 

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)

Barca4Life - 16 Jan 2017 9:57 PM

"Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin has slammed Football Federation Australia (FFA) over its intention to make Asian players a compulsory feature of the A-League's foreign contingent.
A fuming Griffin claimed clubs are stridently opposed to FFA's decision to introduce a four plus one quota rule from the 2018-19 season, and accused the governing body of acting on political motivations.
The pending change, confirmed by FFA chief executive David Gallop and subject to final review at the end of 2017-18, will not impact clubs' current quota of five foreigners but means one of those players must come from an Asian Football Confederation (AFC) members federation.
It will move Australia's top tier in line with other AFC competitions and force A-League clubs to scour the continent for talent.
"There is strident objection from the clubs to any change to the existing visa rules," Griffin told AAP.
"That objection will remain; we see absolutely no point in going 4+1 and compromising the product we provide in some attempt to curry favour with the AFC.

Im starting to think this man is a bit racist.

Also he tends to disagree with almost anything the FFA does, from this to even last week with the olyroos tournament situation, he isnt the type of person who could help grow the game. 

well Greg Griffin sold craig Goodwin for 2 million dollars. He then used that money to buy a 2 million dollar Mansion in one of the richer suburbs in Adelaide. So much for growing the game when any transfer profit he makes goes to his pocket.

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Razor Ramon - 17 Jan 2017 5:59 PM

well Greg Griffin sold craig Goodwin for 2 million dollars. He then used that money to buy a 2 million dollar Mansion in one of the richer suburbs in Adelaide. So much for growing the game when any transfer profit he makes goes to his pocket.

Sauce for this? 
World Class

aufc_ole - 17 Jan 2017 6:06 PM

Sauce for this? 

If real, was probably a personal loan repaid.

All those losses don't get covered by Davo

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
aufc_ole - 17 Jan 2017 6:06 PM

Sauce for this? 

Clear BS. Craig was out of contract and signed as a free agent.

There's plenty one can be critical about when it comes to Griffin, the agendas people have against him is petty pissantry. 

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Nothing wrong with it. Stop having a whinge. I can't see that there will be many Asians though as they can earn a lot more in the other nations with the +1 rule.
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)Rising Star (848 reputation)

Spot on with this post.

We won the Grand final yet we sold 5 of our starting eleven. Yet the only decent recruit we got was Henrique. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we should of kept at least 2-3 of those 5.

The problem is we sold a couple of good players and didn't find the quality to replace them. Which left us to replace them with 2nd tier players and kids. once we got the remaining key players injured, we were playing with a much weaker squad

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sethman75 - 17 Jan 2017 5:02 PM
FFA should instead enforce an U23 Australian player in every starting team to help build the new gen. 

Funny enough China just made that exact change. Guess they are a forward looking group

How is gifting a position to an U23 domestic player 'forward thinking'? Doesn't reward anything other than a player being young enough - China is not a model you should be looking at with admiration lol.

For what it's worth, I reckon pretty much every A-League side would go close to having an U23 Aussie in their best XI this seaon, even at the top end (Victory have Geria, Donachie and Ansell in and around the first team at that 22/23 age bracket, and were happily playing Pasquali (16 years old in case you have forgotten) before he was lured to one of the best setups in Europe at Ajax). Off the top of my head Sydney have both Brillante and O'Neill who are part of their best XI this season, two players around that 22/23 age who are stamping their authority on their sides, and even . So really, the clubs are playing the youth already, even at the top of the table - these players have worked hard to be in these sides and are better players for it - gifting a kid a position just means you end up with a Mariners situation. Kids who are being played simply because they are kids, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

This rant is absurd it's the correct decision

Doing well in the all is at the moment the best exposure to quality football a young player can get
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

walnuts - 17 Jan 2017 6:55 PM
sethman75 - 17 Jan 2017 5:02 PM

How is gifting a position to an U23 domestic player 'forward thinking'? Doesn't reward anything other than a player being young enough - China is not a model you should be looking at with admiration lol.

For what it's worth, I reckon pretty much every A-League side would go close to having an U23 Aussie in their best XI this seaon, even at the top end (Victory have Geria, Donachie and Ansell in and around the first team at that 22/23 age bracket, and were happily playing Pasquali (16 years old in case you have forgotten) before he was lured to one of the best setups in Europe at Ajax). Off the top of my head Sydney have both Brillante and O'Neill who are part of their best XI this season, two players around that 22/23 age who are stamping their authority on their sides, and even . So really, the clubs are playing the youth already, even at the top of the table - these players have worked hard to be in these sides and are better players for it - gifting a kid a position just means you end up with a Mariners situation. Kids who are being played simply because they are kids, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not.

I can't be bothered digging further, but every club last round had at least one U23 player in the starting eleven. 
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

If ya gonna slander a lawyer on the interwebs you would wanna get ya facts pretty accurate.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search