Griffin slams FFA over Asian import quota

Griffin slams FFA over Asian import quota

Author
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
SWandP - 26 Nov 2018 6:04 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 26 Nov 2018 5:55 PM

If you are going to necro a thread why this one with that post?

Don't seem to be related at all.

True that, extremely strange thread to bump with that post
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Buggalugs 2.0 - 26 Nov 2018 5:55 PM
Davide82 - 21 Sep 2018 5:08 PM

*APFCA

If you are going to necro a thread why this one with that post?

Don't seem to be related at all.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Mark457 - 21 Sep 2018 4:55 PM

Griffin does not own Adelaide United anymore and is only staying on in his role with the clubs group at their request till November(?).

Gaz likes to put news articles he deems unworthy of new threads into 2-10 year old posts because he has nothing better to do

*APFCA

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Griffin does not own Adelaide United anymore and is only staying on in his role with the clubs group at their request till November(?).

Gaz likes to put news articles he deems unworthy of new threads into 2-10 year old posts because he has nothing better to do

Friday wouldn't be the same without you.

And I've a sneaky feeling Griffin will be nominating for another term come Oct 3

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 21 Sep 2018 3:29 PM
ADELAIDE United is set to lure Chinese players to SA including one to fill a potential foreign A-League marquee spot as it deals with sister club Qingdao Red Lions says Reds football director Aurelio Vidmar.

I remember when Brisbane signed "the Chinese David Beckham" - Zhang Yuning. Brisbane went about trying to hype him up, but he fail to live up to that hype, nor did he make much of an impression both on and off the field. That was in the time before the Chinese clubs started spending crazy monies on transfer fees and salaries. How A-League clubs can compete with the money from both China and the Middle East, I don't know.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Edited
6 Years Ago by BrisbaneBhoy
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

TheSelectFew - 21 Sep 2018 5:51 PM

No he sticks to the same topic. Better than 50 threads open on the same shit. 

Yep

That, and it allows anyone with a brain to compare Griffins tenure to the "Owners whose name dare not be mentioned"

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

No he sticks to the same topic. Better than 50 threads open on the same shit. 

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Mark,
Who said he is running football?
What do you mean? FFA or an independent league?
As far as I can see he is a sniper and that's all he is used for.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

This bloke running football is going to be a laugh. I can foresee him driving it into the ground.

Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

This bloke running football is going to be a laugh. I can foresee him driving it into the ground.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

The least boring bits

ADELAIDE United is set to lure Chinese players to SA including one to fill a potential foreign A-League marquee spot as it deals with sister club Qingdao Red Lions says Reds football director Aurelio Vidmar.

Shengqing Qu, a former Chinese international, was the club’s only Chinese marquee player from 2006 until 2007.

“We’ll see if they’re (Chinese players) at a level, long term,’’ Vidmar said.

“There is a relationship between us and China (Qingdao) potentially with the five foreigners rule there may be an opportunity for a Chinese player to come and play in one of those slots for the future, we don’t know but that’s global football.

“Our thinking is we bring a couple of the Chinese potentials here, if they’re OK we can also help the local clubs NPL clubs, state league 1 and 2, it’s an avenue they want to look at,’’ Vidmar said.

“Then we could send our players to China, to play at tournaments and in their competitions as well.”

Qingdao is aiming to become part of Chinese professional football pyramid and is currently in a promotional play off for a League two place after playing in the Chinese Football Association Amateur League.

https://t.co/Lk9JlDw4j6

lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 18 Jan 2017 7:57 PM
lukerobinho - 18 Jan 2017 7:56 PM

I think this is being driven by the FFA rather than the AFC. The AFC only has that rule in place for the ACL and its only a 3+1 rule. 

I think FFA is being pushed to move to that direction. However, for us the +1 is pointless, 300k asian player <<<<<<< 300k european or south american even an aussie. I think only really Adann was a decent under cap asian player. Unless you can get an "asian" player like van dike back in the day, the rest where pretty mediocre. 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 18 Jan 2017 7:57 PM

I think this is being driven by the FFA rather than the AFC. The AFC only has that rule in place for the ACL and its only a 3+1 rule. 

What are the benefits ? i dont get it. I think we should be moving away from the +1 Afc rule across the board 
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

i'm skeptical as to how much the AFC really wants this rule 

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

i'm skeptical as to how much the AFC really wants this rule 
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I don't think we should have a +1 quota for an Asian player. Clubs should be able to decide for themselves what is the right mix for their club. If they choose 5 player from Europe or from Sth America or a mix, it shouldn't matter. I am just surprised that clubs don't look into our confederation a little more anyway, plenty of players at different levels, so you cant just say Asian players are more expensive or not good value relative to their skill set. It all depends on where you look and how you go about it. Even so, we still should be seeing more Asian players in the A-league regardless, currently there are only two. If clubs choose not to go for Asian players so be it, I just want clubs to choose the best players for their clubs. It shouldn't be something forced onto the A-league. 

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)Rising Star (876 reputation)

Davide82 - 18 Jan 2017 2:29 PM
mouflonrouge - 18 Jan 2017 2:24 PM

We dropped the ball big time recruitment wise, no doubt.

Griffin's answering of questions as head of an ownership committee stating widely held opinions that ruffle a few feathers has absolutely fuck all to do with that.

End thread.
[/quote]

I agree. But he is running AUFC on a shoe string budget

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Davide82 - 18 Jan 2017 3:14 PM
View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 3:07 PM

Aha only engaged still but it was just a joke of something I could imagine being yelled at for.

imagine............

righto

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 18 Jan 2017 3:15 PM

Over toothpaste? 

Ah, no. The waking up in my underwear on the back lawn and even then, it was a joke. A mildly sexist joke but a joke nonetheless.

sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

walnuts - 17 Jan 2017 6:55 PM
sethman75 - 17 Jan 2017 5:02 PM

How is gifting a position to an U23 domestic player 'forward thinking'? Doesn't reward anything other than a player being young enough - China is not a model you should be looking at with admiration lol.

For what it's worth, I reckon pretty much every A-League side would go close to having an U23 Aussie in their best XI this seaon, even at the top end (Victory have Geria, Donachie and Ansell in and around the first team at that 22/23 age bracket, and were happily playing Pasquali (16 years old in case you have forgotten) before he was lured to one of the best setups in Europe at Ajax). Off the top of my head Sydney have both Brillante and O'Neill who are part of their best XI this season, two players around that 22/23 age who are stamping their authority on their sides, and even . So really, the clubs are playing the youth already, even at the top of the table - these players have worked hard to be in these sides and are better players for it - gifting a kid a position just means you end up with a Mariners situation. Kids who are being played simply because they are kids, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not.

China just started implementing this so it's harsh to judge how fielding an U23 local player is going to hurt them.

Nobody said anything about gifting a player a spot. Coaches should have ideally 4 or 5 U23 players available capable of playing in the first team. If one isn't performing well in comes the one that is. It's called competition and it gives exposure to a group of kids that helps them develop.

Last round there may have been young players in most teams but who to say the following week there are only 2 or 3 in the whole league. 
Not really helpful for our next gen of Socceroos which lets be honest need every bit of help they can at the moment. 

Even less so if an third rate Asian player is taking their potential spot

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Aha only engaged still but it was just a joke of something I could imagine being yelled at for.

Over toothpaste? 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Davide82 - 18 Jan 2017 2:47 PM

How long you been married ?

bit early for that I'd have thought

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Davo1985 - 18 Jan 2017 2:31 PM

Aha awesome, honestly don't remember that but it doesn't tell me anything I haven't already alluded to.
We recruited in a rushed desperate manner and for that many people at our club deserrve to be admoinished.

As I have just explained to red sheep though, this thread was about the foreign quota rule and Griffin';s statements on it. All of this is just character assassination in order to make an unrelated point because people don't know how to stay on topic when they debate.

It's like when your partner reminds you that 2 years ago you fell asleep in the backyard in your underwear after a party 10 minutes into an argument when all you did was ask her if she would put away the toothpaste after using it.

[/quote]

Even that email needs some context. At the end of last season, Kamau, Goodwin and Pablo (winger, left back/winger, striker) left, early on in the off season we signed Kitto, Garruccio and Marino (winger, left back/winger, striker). Pablo aside, the two Australians were younger guys that really stepped up for us so the replacements were pretty like for like.

They stated early on that they were going to take their time picking a visa replacement but they were initially looking at a winger. Just as well they didn't because then offers for Mauk and Djite came in that met their release clauses so they were able to pivot and look for a striker (Guardiola). They then looked to get an Australian winger (Henrique) and a replacement for Mauk (Holland). 

No one thought those guys were bad players. They just haven't worked out as well (so far) as we hoped they would. An issue is they came late but it takes time to negotiate terms, the Australian talent pool for experienced players isn't that big and when you're reacting it's tough.

While it wasn't perfect, the recruitment process they went through wasn't a basket case scenario. Nor was it them being tight arses.

If anything I said isn't factually correct, please let me know. I don't care for any more feelpions :laugh:

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

It's like when your partner reminds you that 2 years ago you fell asleep in the backyard in your underwear after a party 10 minutes into an argument when all you did was ask her if she would put away the toothpaste after using it.

How long you been married ?

bit early for that I'd have thought

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Davide82 - 18 Jan 2017 2:41 PM
mouflonrouge - 18 Jan 2017 2:33 PM

Actually, I would be really upset if Perth Glory had sent a Press Release like that one.

That was the ultimate FU to the fans.

This just shows the mentality (corporate culture) that pervades within the pissant team. I would be more upset at that than coming last. 

AUFC membership will go down next year as a result of it. I would not renew unless there was a full apology. 
[/quote]

I did not mention the press release in the post you quoted and have elsewhere said it was a pile of shit.
This is not a thread about that and you have been told as such many times.
You seem so familiar, just can't quite put my finger on it aha

[/quote]

I'm am just trying to explain the obvious to you.

Your teams recruiting was terrible. And when the pissants started getting restless, the club went on a rampage of its own.

it was extremely bad behavior all round from your team. The fact that the fans just swallowed it, is mind boggling.

I don't believe we have met, but would gladly meet you at the away supporters when we play you guys at Hindmarsh FEB10.  

Should be about 100 of us there watching the pissants get demolished. lol
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Davo1985 - 18 Jan 2017 2:31 PM
Davide82 - 18 Jan 2017 2:22 PM

Sure here it is:

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/grant-mayer-gives-us-an-update/1rh3ureh65lsf1h0l38eq9jv35

I actually updated my previous post. But here it is again.

Like I said, im not saying that he's the only person responsible, far from it, but he still ultimately leads the club. When the club needs to spend money it's him who has to take out his wallet, and you would think after losing some of your most valuable talent you would be going all out to build from last year. You would want to make sure Hindmarsh continues to build on that good support it got at the end of last year which would ultimately put him in favour of perhaps ever getting a new stadium built in the city. Instead he dropped the ball.

Aha awesome, honestly don't remember that but it doesn't tell me anything I haven't already alluded to.
We recruited in a rushed desperate manner and for that many people at our club deserrve to be admoinished.

As I have just explained to red sheep though, this thread was about the foreign quota rule and Griffin';s statements on it. All of this is just character assassination in order to make an unrelated point because people don't know how to stay on topic when they debate.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 18 Jan 2017 2:33 PM

Griffin's answering of questions as head of an ownership committee stating widely held opinions that ruffle a few feathers has absolutely fuck all to do with that.

End thread.
[/quote]

Actually, I would be really upset if Perth Glory had sent a Press Release like that one.

This just shows the mentality (corporate culture) that pervades within the pissant team. I would be more upset at that than coming last. 

AUFC membership will go down next year as a result of it. I would not renew unless there was a full apology. 
[/quote]

I did not mention the press release in the post you quoted and have elsewhere said it was a pile of shit.
This is not a thread about that and you have been told as such many times.
You seem so familiar, just can't quite put my finger on it aha

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

End thread.
[/quote]

Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Davo1985 - 18 Jan 2017 2:15 PM

However, if as was also stated, we are spending the same as last year, does the buck really stop with  the one releasing funds or the ones choosing the players?

What about Ante Kovacevic (sp?) who replaced Petrillo as head of football department?
What about Amor who must have had SOME say in signings?

I'd like to see the club statement before Rd 1 if you wouldn't mind....not saying I don't believe you but I wasn't paying much attention in the off season, otherwise I think you are referring to a quite recent one regarding squad management (a statement that I actually thought was pathetic and childish and amateur).

Sure here it is:

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/grant-mayer-gives-us-an-update/1rh3ureh65lsf1h0l38eq9jv35

I actually updated my previous post. But here it is again.

Like I said, im not saying that he's the only person responsible, far from it, but he still ultimately leads the club. When the club needs to spend money it's him who has to take out his wallet, and you would think after losing some of your most valuable talent you would be going all out to build from last year. You would want to make sure Hindmarsh continues to build on that good support it got at the end of last year which would ultimately put him in favour of perhaps ever getting a new stadium built in the city. Instead he dropped the ball.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Well then maybe someone should tell everyone in charge of AUFC recruiting to get a job at McDonalds because Football clearly isn't their forte. 

That includes Griffin who is maybe worthy of a job in Public Relations. 

End thread.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Davide82
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search