The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
walnuts - 10 Jun 2018 1:26 PM
I'll be the first one to admit it - I was wrong about Arzani's inclusion in the squad.

I genuinely thought he was too raw and hadn't done quite enough with City to justify his inclusion. However, clearly Bert saw a LOT more in camp with him, and even though it was only a couple of friendlies, he showed so much in about 20 minutes of game time for the Socceroos. It's been a while since I've been so confident in a player going past their defender that isn't simply 'hoof it long and outrun them'. Genuine close ball control and a healthy dose of 'shoot farken' attitude. Yes, we can debate all day that the keeper should've done better with his goal but at the end of it all, Arzani was doing what the others weren't and that was getting shots on target. That skill alone will be enough to snag us a few points.

I am genuinely excited to see how far this young man can go for club and country.

Arzani should be our best outfield player in the near future.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We've arrived in Russia. Chartered a Bucharest air plane. We fly from Australia with Qantas every other time. Qantas appears to be a sponsor but not as active with the Socceroos anymore. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

johnszasz - 10 Jun 2018 11:43 PM
We've arrived in Russia. Chartered a Bucharest air plane. We fly from Australia with Qantas every other time. Qantas appears to be a sponsor but not as active with the Socceroos anymore. 

Qantas doesn't need sponsorships since they discovered engaging in half arsed social activism is all the marketing you need and free

Surprised the frequent flyer programme hasn't been renamed MeToo
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Ds98 - 10 Jun 2018 12:39 PM
A borrello and Arzani forward-line is extremely enticing. Would've been so good to see Borrello in this environment, I reckon he would thrive.

Yep. Mooy and Rogic will also be around for while and produce some quality football. Then there's McGree,  Pasquali, etc.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

When one looks back just a few years ago at the last World Cup, look at the downward plummet of some  players since.

Spiranovic ( I just can't believe this talented player isn't at this WC).

Franjic

Davidson

Holland (was he in the squad?)

Wilkinson has maintained form since, but age probably worked against his selection.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Wilkinson is only a tad older then Milligan and younger than a lot of others in the squad.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

chondro - 12 Jun 2018 10:36 AM
Wilkinson is only a tad older then Milligan and younger than a lot of others in the squad.

Wilkinson was cut out by Ange.  One of most consistent defenders.  

I dont think he had a bad game for the NT either.  Wilkinson and Sainsbury could have been a solid partnership over the last four years.

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Best 4 to take would have been.

Sainsbury/Spiranovic
Wilkinson/Williams

Only Sainsbury will get another shot at a WC I think.
Wilkinson will be 37 and the other 2 will be 34y.o

Sainbury/Susnajr pairing 2022
Other 2 is anyone's guess. Good, Chapman, Ansell, Donachie, Elsey, Deng, Tongyik etc etc.
Doubt Jurman, wright and degenek will make the next one.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

hope chapman gets a run in the asian cup, been in the u23 setup, playing at a pretty high level now consistently... surely the ideal replacement for milligan...can play cdm too. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

jas88 - 12 Jun 2018 11:28 AM
hope chapman gets a run in the asian cup, been in the u23 setup, playing at a pretty high level now consistently... surely the ideal replacement for milligan...can play cdm too. 

captain too right?

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

quickflick - 9 Jun 2018 1:38 PM
Decentric - 9 Jun 2018 10:51 AM

Voodoo or hoodoo?

Anyhow, Ange's tactics didn't work that well in Brazil. They were all right. But they always unveiled a weakness which was too easy for any opposition to exploit. As for the Asian Cup (on home soil)... take that with a grain of salt.

What Ange initially was trying to do, in the style of Barcelona, was to play 4-3-3 with attacking wingbacks and an offensive midfield triangle. It was a terrible idea which meant, when we lost possession and the wingbacks were out of position, we'd end up with two fairly slow central defenders trying to defend the width of the pitch. Not good. You literally have to be Barcelona to play that way with sustained success. And Ange was trying that with the stocks available to him. No wonder he was so reliant on Brad Smith (which was always far from ideal). The only chance the formation has is with fullbacks who can cover a hundred in about ten seconds.

It became obvious during the last World Cup that the application of that formation would not work.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, top club sides (with far better footballers than ours) were having a conundrum. Do we want to exploit the width of the pitch with our fullbacks? Yep, they did. But can we afford to do this with a back four? No, because we're too vulnerable to pacy counter-attacks. To address that, instead of having two central defenders, they tried having 3 central defenders and then a similar set-up with the wingbacks as before. And this worked.

Hence I said Ange can't keep on having us play this way, never mind winning the Asian Cup on home soil and losing to South Korea in the process.

Either Ange can have a flat-ish back four or he can have three central defenders and aggressive wingbacks (who still drop back). If Ange had done this, he would have had a bit more success. And he sort of did cotton on to what other sides were doing.

But he was still overzealous in his attacking propensity. The idea is to have three central defenders and attacking wingbacks who drop back. He went for what was basically a back three.

100% correct.. when Pep tried it at city he only had clichy and zabaleta... it just didnt work.. zab was way over the hill... he brought in strong and super quick full backs and now his system is performing as expected.. Ange thought he could make some wing backs lol smith/leckie but it underutilized leckie...
chondro
chondro
Pro

Arnie needs to ditch any player that is not going to the next WC.
If he keeps playing jedinak and Milligan etc, ill be pissed.
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I should also add that Ange's tactics worked well for Australia in the 2014 WC, Asian Cup, and most of the home WCQs at home until late in the campaign.

The 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3 defensive midfield triangle, then the 4-3-3 attacking midfield triangle, formations  worked well, certainly at home, and for  a few games in the second stage of WCQs.

Then when he tried a 4-4-2, where the team struggled for game or two, then the voodoo 3-4-2-1, that was far less familiar than the regular 3-4-3 midfield diamond or 3-4-3 flat midfield, Australia become very predicable and easy to formulate a game plan against.

In hindsight I'm glad Ange walked. He wasn't prepared to deviate from one game plan. Instead of adopting a few game plans to apply in  the one game, like the former familiar 4-2-3-1 and variations of the 4-3-3, Ange became inexplicably dogmatic.

For me the formation wasn't necessarily the issue. The issue as i saw it was that Ange got his selections wrong for the style of football he wanted to play. He need not only athletic players but players who were technically very good. As it stands with Australian players you tend to get on or the other not both.

We spent far too much time playing in front of the opposition defence with slow transition while continuing to select the likes of leckie and Kruse. You could argue Kruse was suitable as his technique is ok however he is best used playing in behind an opposition defence.

Realistically when ange panicked and went to 3 at the back he still wanted to play possession as the be all and end all of his style rather than play genuine counter attacking football which as i alluded to above left us looking at a brick wall with very little chance to cut through with numbers committed forward bashing on the wall it left us wide open to be countered ourselves.
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

chondro - 12 Jun 2018 11:42 AM
Arnie needs to ditch any player that is not going to the next WC.If he keeps playing jedinak and Milligan etc, ill be pissed.

I somewhat agree with this. When you look at the squad as a whole there is experience there now in Mooy, Luongo, Ryan, Sains even Behich who have now played a good number of games for the national team so i don't see leadership as being a reason to keep the other guys around. Possibly a friendly swan song after the world cup and the guys go on their way respected and thanked.

If we consider Milligan a centre half for arguments sake the likes of Susjnar, Chapman, Jurman etc are playing consistently at decent levels so should now move up the pecking order.

Jeggo, Antonis and maybe even Holland deserve to be looked at as replacements for Jedi.

The replacement for Cahill is really still an open race for someone to genuinely pick up the slack.

Interestingly i think the battle for first choice in the wide areas is really going to be interesting.

Obviously there is at least one, possibly even two goal keeping places up for grabs as well
Edited
6 Years Ago by New Signing
footbawler
footbawler
Hacker
Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)

New Signing - 12 Jun 2018 3:07 PM

For me the formation wasn't necessarily the issue. The issue as i saw it was that Ange got his selections wrong for the style of football he wanted to play. He need not only athletic players but players who were technically very good. As it stands with Australian players you tend to get on or the other not both.

We spent far too much time playing in front of the opposition defence with slow transition while continuing to select the likes of leckie and Kruse. You could argue Kruse was suitable as his technique is ok however he is best used playing in behind an opposition defence.

Realistically when ange panicked and went to 3 at the back he still wanted to play possession as the be all and end all of his style rather than play genuine counter attacking football which as i alluded to above left us looking at a brick wall with very little chance to cut through with numbers committed forward bashing on the wall it left us wide open to be countered ourselves.

I think more than his selections, it was just that we don't have those kind of players available at all. We have technical, and we have athletic but no one really with both - Arzani will hopefully be the change to that in the future. Luongo is also both but Ange didn't use him properly ( i think i recall him playing as a sort of right mid/winger in a 442 formation at some point???? baffling) and it doesn't look like Bert really wants him as a permanent fixture either.
Anyway, I have far more faith that BVM will play to the strengths of the squad (in terms of both selections AND formation) rather than stick to a philosophy. I think regardless of how we go this world cup we have a coach that is giving us the best chance of success.

Edited
6 Years Ago by footbawler
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

footbawler - 12 Jun 2018 3:20 PM

I think more than his selections, it was just that we don't have those kind of players available at all. We have technical, and we have athletic but no one really with both - Arzani will hopefully be the change to that in the future. Luongo is also both but Ange didn't use him properly ( i think i recall him playing as a sort of right mid/winger in a 442 formation at some point???? baffling) and it doesn't look like Bert really wants him as a permanent fixture either.
Anyway, I have far more faith that BVM will play to the strengths of the squad (in terms of both selections AND formation) rather than stick to a philosophy. I think regardless of how we go this world cup we have a coach that is giving us the best chance of success.

Hence the issue with the style of football he wanted to play
chondro
chondro
Pro

Out with...
Jones, Vukovic, Milligan, Jurman, Degenek, Risdon, Meredith, Jedinak, Kruse, Cahill

If I were to choose today for the next WC cycle.
Keep + New ins...

GK (3)
Ryan
(Birighitti)
(Thomas)

DF (7)
Sainsbury(C)
(Susnajr)
(Chapman)
(Deng)
(Atkinson)
Behich
(Gersbach)

MF (7)
(Dougall)
(O'Neill)
Luongo
Mooy
Irvine
Rogic
Petratos

FW (6)
Leckie
Arzani
(Borello)
Nabbout
Maclaren
Juric

------------------------Ryan------------------------
-----------Sainsbury-------Susnajr-------------
Deng---------------------------------------Behich
---------------Mooy-------Luongo---------------
Leckie---------------Irvine---------------Arzani
------------------------Juric------------------------

----------------------Birighitti---------------------
-----------Chapman-----------?------------------
Atkinson------------------------------Gersbach
--------------Dougall--------Oneill---------------
Nabbout------------Rogic--------------Borello
---------------------Maclaren---------------------

Thomas
Petratos

Also test a bunch of new players in friendlies.
Gtone
Gtone
Weekender
Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)

I think it would be a smart move by Arnie to have significant change over prior to the Asia cup in order to reduce performance expectations. Sains will be wearing the captain's armband and help set the table at the family Christmas dinner.
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

chondro - 12 Jun 2018 4:21 PM
Out with...Jones, Vukovic, Milligan, Jurman, Degenek, Risdon, Meredith, Jedinak, Kruse, CahillIf I were to choose today for the next WC cycle.Keep + New ins...GK (3)Ryan(Birighitti)(Thomas)DF (7)Sainsbury(C)(Susnajr)(Chapman)(Deng)(Atkinson)Behich(Gersbach)MF (7)(Dougall)(O'Neill)LuongoMooyIrvineRogicPetratosFW (6)LeckieArzani(Borello)NabboutMaclarenJuric------------------------Ryan-----------------------------------Sainsbury-------Susnajr-------------Deng---------------------------------------Behich---------------Mooy-------Luongo---------------Leckie---------------Irvine---------------Arzani------------------------Juric----------------------------------------------Birighitti--------------------------------Chapman-----------?------------------Atkinson------------------------------Gersbach--------------Dougall--------Oneill---------------Nabbout------------Rogic--------------Borello---------------------Maclaren---------------------ThomasPetratosAlso test a bunch of new players in friendlies.

Pasquali?? Folami?? Mcgree? Theoharous? Italiano?
chondro
chondro
Pro

Taggart/Folami maybe for one of the other strikers.
Mcgree an outside chance in midfield.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by 'transition' in this context, NS?

The transition, defensive or attacking, is the instant one team loses or wins the ball ball moving to  Ball Possession  Opposition or Ball Possession. These are known as the four main moments, or phases of the game.

The context you've used it in,  seems more like 'build up' is the correct term. As though you mean the build up was too slow.

Agree about Kruse's best utilisation.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Arsene Wenger coined the term 'sterile possession' for what we had quite a lot under Ange.

We seem to be playing many more early balls under BVM to try and force the opposition  to turn and chase. This was particularly the case in the Hungary game as they played a high defensive line.

This creates more of a contest where the Aussie players are running forwards with a more favourable body shape to play, than the opposition who are turning and chasing and defending facing their own goal.

We still struggled to defend centrally in midfield  in defensive transitions - the moment we lost the ball. Kruse said the team struggled to adhere to  all the defensive game plans they'd done in training. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gtone - 12 Jun 2018 4:50 PM
I think it would be a smart move by Arnie to have significant change over prior to the Asia cup in order to reduce performance expectations. Sains will be wearing the captain's armband and help set the table at the family Christmas dinner.

Welcome to the forum.

I imagine there will be some sort of generational change.

Nevertheless, it is important to have experienced players in any team. One has to know one's own game well in order to start thinking about organising other players around them.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I think we have only 5 players that definitely won't be there next world cup: kruse, milligan, jedi, jurman and cahill. All of them still have a chance and we don't have a heavy conentration of 28+ year olds so I think we are fine doing a minor regeneration unlike a major one that was needed in 2011
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 12 Jun 2018 11:19 PM

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by 'transition' in this context, NS?

The transition, defensive or attacking, is the instant one team loses or wins the ball ball moving to  Ball Possession  Opposition or Ball Possession. These are known as the four main moments, or phases of the game.

The context you've used it in,  seems more like 'build up' is the correct term. As though you mean the build up was too slow.

Agree about Kruse's best utilisation.

You can call it what you like but what i am saying is that under ange when we regained possession we were too slow to get the ball forward in BP and use the advantage of the pace we had on either wing to exploit the opposition team 
jas88
jas88
World Class

grazorblade - 13 Jun 2018 1:11 AM
I think we have only 5 players that definitely won't be there next world cup: kruse, milligan, jedi, jurman and cahill. All of them still have a chance and we don't have a heavy conentration of 28+ year olds so I think we are fine doing a minor regeneration unlike a major one that was needed in 2011

hopefully during the next cycle we can start to build a squad around Pasquali, Arzani, Chapman, Gersbach, Atkinson. Theohaurus... if they kick all on..  
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

New Signing - 13 Jun 2018 9:20 AM
Decentric - 12 Jun 2018 11:19 PM

You can call it what you like but what i am saying is that under ange when we regained possession we were too slow to get the ball forward in BP and use the advantage of the pace we had on either wing to exploit the opposition team 

I thought you probably meant that, but wasn't sure.

Faster build ups, leading to accelerated attacks, as you've suggested, has teams less prepared and in worse team shape to exploit us in their attacking transitions when we lost the ball.

They were often in too good a position in terms of team shape  to launch accelerated attacks when they won the ball.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jas88 - 13 Jun 2018 11:03 AM
grazorblade - 13 Jun 2018 1:11 AM

hopefully during the next cycle we can start to build a squad around Pasquali, Arzani, Chapman, Gersbach, Atkinson. Theohaurus... if they kick all on..  

Many don't kick on.

In two years from now some of these guys will have disappeared and other current unknowns will have emerged.
SC04
SC04
Fan
Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)

I would rather we try to retain the Asian Cup and qualify for the next World Cup than have change for the sake of it.
chondro
chondro
Pro

Change is inevitable with a new manager coming in.
you think Arnie should keep the same squad as the WC for Asia Cup in 7 months time?
I think you'll see a minimum of 5 changes and hopefully a few more.

Who would you keep in?
Cahill- 38 (42 2022)
Jones- 36 (40 2022)
Vukovic- 33 (37 2022)
Jedinak- 33 (37 2022)
Milligan- 33 (37 2022)
Meredith- 30 (34 2022)
Kruse- 29 (33 2022)

Edited
6 Years Ago by chondro
GO

Select a Forum....