The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
lebo_roo - 7 Aug 2019 4:31 PM
Podiacide - 6 Aug 2019 12:42 PM
Think about that for a moment. The coach that will coach them at the qualification tournament won't be there for the whole lead up. What's the point. 

From what I've read about Arnie, I think he will be in constant communication with other underage Aus teams.

He has adopted a role as quasi TD / pathway building coach for  the national team.

I love it.

Fair play  to Arnie.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Yep agree. I love the arrangement.

Our underage teams are usually lead by rookie coaches who continue to fail. I’m happy to see an actual experienced, quality manager in Arnie overseeing our junior teams. 
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Also agree. With this set up there seems to be more synergy between the 3 teams and allows Arnie to flesh out the better youngsters quicker that could step up to the scocceroos.  
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Bowden - 8 Aug 2019 10:06 AM
Yep agree. I love the arrangement.

Our underage teams are usually lead by rookie coaches who continue to fail. I’m happy to see an actual experienced, quality manager in Arnie overseeing our junior teams. 

Ange constantly reinforces this point in his book.

ATM I don't think we could have anyone  better suited than Arnie.

If the Socceroos fail  to qualify for Qatar, I think it will be due to worse cattle than our opposition. I doubt  Arnie is going to  be out-coached or out-thought.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

saweston - 8 Aug 2019 10:09 AM
Also agree. With this set up there seems to be more synergy between the 3 teams and allows Arnie to flesh out the better youngsters quicker that could step up to the scocceroos.  

It is something only a domestic coach can have an awareness of, with depth of insight.

I was big fan of what Bert did at the WC, but as a team builder, Arnie is a very good choice.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Looks like Sainsbury is trying to do a dissappearing act again, going to Saudi Arabia.

The conditions would be good training for the WC.

REALLY HARD to take the next WC cycle serious with the way some of these players -relationships-to-coach- is playing out.

If Arnold selects Sainsbury my fucking word we have no hope to win nothing in QATAR. 

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Oh, in other news, Boomers play Canada today 17:30 AWST if ppl are bored worth tuning early on for a Saturday night. 

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Decentric - 8 Aug 2019 9:53 AM
johnszasz - 8 Aug 2019 1:37 AM

That is a long break, but they have very severe winters apart from the far south in Germany.

no wonder they are so angry all the time ...

Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

As we know Leckie played RWB this morning against Bayern Munich. It’s  time for the back 5. 

Ryan
         Sainsbury  Souttar   Degenek
Leckie                                        Behich
                Mooy Irvine Luongo
             Taggart           Giannou

Honourable mentions to bailey Wright, Tom Rogic, brad Smith, Awer mabil, ikonomidis, borrello, O’Neill 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

josh sydneyfc - 17 Aug 2019 4:20 PM
As we know Leckie played RWB this morning against Bayern Munich. It’s  time for the back 5. 

Ryan
                Mooy Irvine Luongo

Honourable mentions to bailey Wright, Tom Rogic, brad Smith, Awer mabil, ikonomidis, borrello, O’Neill 

I'd be happy if we got that actually working without coughing up goals. Sains has not been playing and already made a couple of errors there last time.

Mooy is too slow for that position in that formation. Irvine has limited ball keeping skills, Luongo the only one that could play there for me. Milligan perhaps.

I'd be tempted to put leave Mooy out and make it

Mabil-Rogic-Giannou
            someone who is a fukn good winger.
Taggart

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

^Ikon next to Taggart 

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 17 Aug 2019 4:20 PM

Ryan
                Mooy Irvine Luongo

I think you need to find a formation that include Awer and Ikon in the starting line up. Our main problem for years has been incisiveness and breaking down defenses, and those two have shown more ability to do that than anyone in a long time. Include Arzani in that too when he's fits. We a formation with wingers.

If we're going 3 at the back it should be 3-4-3

Ryan
        Souttar    Sainsbury   Degenek
Leckie       Irvine        Luongo      Behich
       Mabil           Taggart          Ikon

That's just an example. Smith would be well suited to LM.
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Does anyone else think James Holland deserves another crack for the NT. He can’t do more than what he’s doing now 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 19 Aug 2019 3:26 PM
Does anyone else think James Holland deserves another crack for the NT. He can’t do more than what he’s doing now 

Said it for last 2 years Holland is starring in what is a high standard relative to the rest of our overseas players. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Just checked Club ELO. Hollands club LASK has risen considerably to be now 1620 points which is makes it the 86th ranked club in europe higher than aston villa and about level with Sheffield united. From all reports he s a regular starter and stars.

Should be considered as direct replacement for jedinak 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

He won't be selected because he doesn't fulfill the role he is asked to do. He pushes forward eay too often for a DM and leaves the AMs to do the defensive work. You may get away with thst at club level where tje manager may allow this fluidity but at the NT level it is found out quickly.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I think he was reasonable in Buli.2 a couple of years ago, he was just in a crap team.

Now that we don’t play Ange ball any more, he might have a place in the team. Would be interested in someone with knowledge of the Austrian league comparing him and Jeggo. Different styles, same posn.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Ahhh Holland. No idea. He's ticking all the boxes but when he got Australia games years ago it was painful to watch.

Jeggo and Amini are favoured by Arnie. I like our stocks in case of lots of injuries. It's funny how an apparent B team actually function better as a unit than the supposed A team.
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

So Aleks Susnjar turned 24 today, should this be the year in which he starts getting called into the squad? 

If picking players from K2 is ok for South Korea, surely it's good enough for us!? Looks as though Busan will be promoted as well, these are the games we need to start blooding new players. he's played 21 times, missed two games through suspension, and the first game of the year due to getting cleared, so clearly he is favoured.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Ds98
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Bunch of Hacks - 19 Aug 2019 5:33 PM
Just checked Club ELO. Hollands club LASK has risen considerably to be now 1620 points which is makes it the 86th ranked club in europe higher than aston villa and about level with Sheffield united. From all reports he s a regular starter and stars.

Should be considered as direct replacement for jedinak 

When we saw Holland play HAL football a season or two ago, he was decidedly average though, BOH.

He rarely played well enough to warrant Socceroo selection.

I think he has stagnated, even gone backwards, despite the high ELO of his club team.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Ds98 - 19 Aug 2019 9:03 PM
So Aleks Susnjar turned 24 today, should this be the year in which he starts getting called into the squad? 

If picking players from K2 is ok for South Korea, surely it's good enough for us!? Looks as though Busan will be promoted as well, these are the games we need to start blooding new players. he's played 21 times, missed two games through suspension, and the first game of the year due to getting cleared, so clearly he is favoured.

I was surprised SK selected players from K League 2.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Decentric - 20 Aug 2019 12:05 AM
Bunch of Hacks - 19 Aug 2019 5:33 PM

When we saw Holland play HAL football a season or two ago, he was decidedly average though, BOH.

He rarely played well enough to warrant Socceroo selection.

I think he has stagnated, even gone backwards, despite the high ELO of his club team.

He played half a season in the A league in 2016-17 which was interrupted by injury - over 2 years ago. Unless you've seen him play for his team recently which i doubt you have lets keep an open mind. 
Josh
Josh
Pro

Bunch of Hacks - 20 Aug 2019 1:10 AM
Decentric - 20 Aug 2019 12:05 AM

He played half a season in the A league in 2016-17 which was interrupted by injury - over 2 years ago. Unless you've seen him play for his team recently which i doubt you have lets keep an open mind. 

👌
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Apparently he's been tearing it up. He's above that level and I'm not particularly sure what happened in Europe but he often put in a decent shift. It's actually quite frustrating that he was on the scene over a year ago and hasn't featured despite his exciting presence. Hrustic first came in mid 2017 and it's been 2 years now and he's finally showing some better signs. I think having these two in the national team set up will bring added confidence. It's a worthy investment. Kick on boys!
Josh
Josh
Pro

johnszasz - 20 Aug 2019 5:35 AM

Apparently he's been tearing it up. He's above that level and I'm not particularly sure what happened in Europe but he often put in a decent shift. It's actually quite frustrating that he was on the scene over a year ago and hasn't featured despite his exciting presence. Hrustic first came in mid 2017 and it's been 2 years now and he's finally showing some better signs. I think having these two in the national team set up will bring added confidence. It's a worthy investment. Kick on boys!

I agree susnjar should be there I just don’t know on Hrustic. First of all what position does he play? If he’s a winger he could nab a spot but if he’s a 10 he’s unlikely 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

josh sydneyfc - 20 Aug 2019 5:48 AM
johnszasz - 20 Aug 2019 5:35 AM

I agree susnjar should be there I just don’t know on Hrustic. First of all what position does he play? If he’s a winger he could nab a spot but if he’s a 10 he’s unlikely 

He does both. He's been given a wing spot but roams freely across the front 3. He's definitely one for creativity. Include. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Getting closer now. Wright is injured so Susnjar or Souttar should come in. Smith is injured I believe. Gersbach is only in on his talent. I'd actually call Jack Iredale from Carlisle on current form. He's been great. Rogic and Arzani simply aren't ready. Nabbout would probably get ahead of John Iredale but John Iredale has been great so far and should get some exposure. 

Ryan Langerak Redmayne 

Grant Sainsbury Degenek Susnjar Souttar Behich Gersbach

Mooy Luongo Irvine Jeggo Amini Hrustic 

Leckie Mabil Taggart Giannou Iredale Ikonomidis Borrello

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnszasz - 20 Aug 2019 6:53 AM
Getting closer now. Wright is injured so Susnjar or Souttar should come in. Smith is injured I believe. Gersbach is only in on his talent. I'd actually call Jack Iredale from Carlisle on current form. He's been great. Rogic and Arzani simply aren't ready. Nabbout would probably get ahead of John Iredale but John Iredale has been great so far and should get some exposure. 

Ryan Langerak Redmayne 

Grant Sainsbury Degenek Susnjar Souttar Behich Gersbach

Mooy Luongo Irvine Jeggo Amini Hrustic 

Leckie Mabil Taggart Giannou Iredale Ikonomidis Borrello

good line up. i'd drop sainsbury though.  hasnt done enough at club to warrant inclusion. who would you bring in to replace him?

also, milligan will be in.

Toffees_or_Roar
Toffees_or_Roar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

inala brah - 20 Aug 2019 9:49 AM
johnszasz - 20 Aug 2019 6:53 AM

good line up. i'd drop sainsbury though.  hasnt done enough at club to warrant inclusion. who would you bring in to replace him?

also, milligan will be in.

Fran Karačić or Shane Lowry

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

patjennings - 19 Aug 2019 5:38 PM

He won't be selected because he doesn't fulfill the role he is asked to do. He pushes forward eay too often for a DM and leaves the AMs to do the defensive work. You may get away with thst at club level where tje manager may allow this fluidity but at the NT level it is found out quickly.

I thought we wanted to dominate games and possession? we don't have forwards who can score if we have DM who knows how to time his runs late into the box we have another weapon...its why pep loves Gundogan so much... but Holland isn't 6'2 and 90kg so he won't get a run at DM for Australia..
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search