The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I just noticed that rather than playing Nepal away on MD1 then flying home just prior to hosting the Socceroos that Kuwait now has 2 games at home having flipped home and away games with Nepal (as have a few other teams but not the Aussies).

I hope that regardless of who is picked the Socceroos squad hits the ground running and that the first match in the 2022 qualifiers is a solid and successful start.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

mark_000au - 21 Aug 2019 12:11 PM

He is old n playing in league 1 club n bottom of the ladder in League 1.

he's still the captain, so he will be picked and will start. 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

johnszasz - 22 Aug 2019 1:14 AM
highkick05 - 21 Aug 2019 11:50 PM

As in we should have regenerated by now? I had given up on him around 2009 even! Incredibly frustrating player back then but he kept at it and become a leader and put in some top games. Yes I do wish we'd have seen someone else even better burst onto the scene. His performance in the Asian Cup final at right back after the Franjic injury is legendary. 

It's extremely sad how as a nation we can't fast track someone in that natural DM position don't you think ? thoughts?

Footballismyreligion
Footballismyreligion
Under 7s
Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)

highkick05 - 22 Aug 2019 12:02 PM

It's extremely sad how as a nation we can't fast track someone in that natural DM position don't you think ? thoughts?

Yes and aside from friendlies you would think that when we are playing the likes of Kuwait, Nepal and Taiwan that that would be the next best time to give the next DM player in line some much needed experience playing for the national team in preparation for the harder games ahead. Mark Milligan can't play forever and he would be pretty close to thirty seven at the world cup in 2022.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

highkick05 - 22 Aug 2019 12:02 PM

I want to see some massive regeneration. No more Milligan or Kruse and get McGree and ensure Mabil and Ikon are in the squad. Borrello is a shoe in. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
The Kuwait game in September will be a tough gig.

It averages 44 degrees at that time of the year. I've lived there. Playing football will be torture.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric - 23 Aug 2019 12:00 AM
The Kuwait game in September will be a tough gig.

It averages 44 degrees at that time of the year. I've lived there. Playing football will be torture.

I think the socceroos have played there before- they already know about this.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

That's crazy hot 44 degrees

Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)

Any sports scientists on the forum here who can shed a light on how this might affect selections?

Does a player with regular match fitness in very cold climate adapt better to this heat (Like Iredale at Carlisle) than a player who is not as match fit but playing in warmer temperatures? I know this selection will also have many other factors like standard of the league, and how they go in training etc but just as a general rule.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Podiacide - 23 Aug 2019 11:29 AM
Any sports scientists on the forum here who can shed a light on how this might affect selections?

Does a player with regular match fitness in very cold climate adapt better to this heat (Like Iredale at Carlisle) than a player who is not as match fit but playing in warmer temperatures? I know this selection will also have many other factors like standard of the league, and how they go in training etc but just as a general rule.

Interesting topic, isn't it? I'd also be interested in how much playing matches affects fitness and fatigue vs training and getting shorter match time. Currently we've got a quite a few players who haven't played much football but will be fresh and aren't at risk of any high level of fatigue. 

Mooy, Luongo and Sainsbury are the 3 while Behich is a bit higher up. Taggart, Amini and Degenek are in full swing for their campaigns. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

That was a topic here in Sweden during the women’s WC. Because many players had not played in such heat before for 1 or 2 matches iirc. 

Anyway Sweden got the bronze. Matildas got to “suck on that one.”

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

scott20won - 25 Aug 2019 9:04 PM
That was a topic here in Sweden during the women’s WC. Because many players had not played in such heat before for 1 or 2 matches iirc. 

Anyway Sweden got the bronze. Matildas got to “suck on that one.”

But but we play in the heat all the time! They should have done a weather survey pre tournament. If only we'd known what the weather had known. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

And yeah -2c to 1c is generally worse than -5c to -10c. Because when it’s windy it’s horrible. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

johnszasz - 25 Aug 2019 9:19 PM
scott20won - 25 Aug 2019 9:04 PM

But but we play in the heat all the time! They should have done a weather survey pre tournament. If only we'd known what the weather had known. 

FFA is running an internal audit to see who was in charge of the consultant who hire the consultant to track wunderground.com 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Podiacide - 23 Aug 2019 11:29 AM

this was what i was thinking a few years back when holland started in midfield and was dead on his feet and pouring out sweat at half time. can't remember where is was but it was pretty warm 

he couldn't keep up with the match and didnt ever get much of a look in after - i think he went from the netherlands or austria into australia for the match.

i've never heard the issue bought up though

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Not a sports scientist per se, but know biological processes to an extent. 

I rekn as long as the boys warm up a bit they be right.

There's actually a large body of research that supports not stretching before exercise, rather, during the exercise. 

Makes you wonder doesn't it , maybe we've got it all wrong. I think to an extent we have got it all wrong. (increase in tissue injury of recent times)

The whole muscle recovery alternating warm and icy water has been proven multiple times to speed up recovery and lessen muscle pain, however, does it actually increase the risk of tissue damage because of its complely uncharacteristic of the normal muscle recovery process?

Seriously, I think if we were cannibals , we would know this answer because we would notice the texture of the meat and how easily it is broken down. But do we know this already through our animal meat consumtpion ? This is what I mean, we truly have nfi what we are doing here, and players get submitted to these 'world class' processes everyday.

Edited
5 Years Ago by highkick05
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Mr. Universe competitors have better knowledge of these processes than 'Sports Scientists' when it comes to these things.

They have seriously deep knowledge when it comes to training muscle and tissue. 'Sports Scientists' are like the pissants of this area and fwiw usually are pisssants. 

Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)

Only 15 days to the next WCQ vs Kuwait. Thats only 15 days away, I wonder when they are going to name the squad?

Josh
Josh
Pro

Podiacide - 27 Aug 2019 2:25 PM
Only 15 days to the next WCQ vs Kuwait. Thats only 15 days away, I wonder when they are going to name the squad?

I would assume it’s Thursday or Friday but I have no idea. 
Footballfirst
Footballfirst
Hacker
Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 27 Aug 2019 2:30 PM
Podiacide - 27 Aug 2019 2:25 PM

I would assume it’s Thursday or Friday but I have no idea. 

It's Thursday.

Josh
Josh
Pro

Our XI based on players playing regularly with Bryan grant as the exception. 

Ryan 
Grant         Degenek     Souttar       Behich
                Milligan          Mooy
Mabil                    Irvine                  Leckie
                            Taggart 

in my opinion this has to be the team against Nepal. Other than grant all these guys are playing a good level and consistently. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 28 Aug 2019 7:05 AM

Ryan 
                Milligan          Mooy
                            Taggart 

in my opinion this has to be the team against Nepal. Other than grant all these guys are playing a good level and consistently. 

They have to give some emerging talent a run so I Luke your line up - not sure Mulligan should start though. 
Josh
Josh
Pro

Waz - 28 Aug 2019 7:07 AM

They have to give some emerging talent a run so I Luke your line up - not sure Mulligan should start though. 

You could argue borrello for mabil. I think you need Milligan or else there’s no experience in that side. 
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Ryan 
                Milligan          Mooy
                            Taggart 

Milligan playing in League 1 losing 5 games in a with his age its time to move on. Amani also playing every week in that position n in a good age. 
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Ryan 
                Milligan          Mooy
                            Taggart 

First game we play Kuwait away btw
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

mark_000au - 28 Aug 2019 7:21 AM

Milligan playing in League 1 losing 5 games in a with his age its time to move on. Amani also playing every week in that position n in a good age. 

I've always been a big fan of Milligan, but who else could captain the team?

Given League One football is relatively  poor and his advancing years, he should not be an option come Qatar.

Ryan would probably be a good option.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

mark_000au - 28 Aug 2019 7:25 AM

First game we play Kuwait away btw

Whenever we have played Kuwait at that time of year, we've struggled.

The average daytime temperature in Kuwait is 43 - 46 degrees in early September. I've lived there.

To pontificate on playing in this heat,  it helps for one  to have experienced it.

It was even hotter in July and August, averaging 47 degrees. Just to walk a few hundred metres down street was exhausting. I did  this after 6 weeks acclimatisation  in Thailand too.

Even sitting outside at night after dark, it was really hot.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

Will be interesting to see if we take a full strength squad. We can't possibly take Mooy and Ryan to the games against Nepal and Taiwan. It is actually in our best interest we start getting results while resting our best players.
Terre Astrale
Terre Astrale
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)

Decentric - 28 Aug 2019 8:57 AM
mark_000au - 28 Aug 2019 7:21 AM

I've always been a big fan of Milligan, but who else could captain the team?

Given League One football is relatively  poor and his advancing years, he should not be an option come Qatar.

Ryan would probably be a good option.

Degenek seems to me like he would make a good captain also.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Decentric - 28 Aug 2019 9:00 AM
mark_000au - 28 Aug 2019 7:25 AM

Whenever we have played Kuwait at that time of year, we've struggled.

The average daytime temperature in Kuwait is 43 - 46 degrees in early September. I've lived there.

To pontificate on playing in this heat,  it helps for one  to have experienced it.

It was even hotter in July and August, averaging 47 degrees. Just to walk a few hundred metres down street was exhausting. I did  this after 6 weeks acclimatisation  in Thailand too.

Even sitting outside at night after dark, it was really hot.

What were you doing in Kuwait? ( if you don't mind me asking ) Was this post or pre Gulf War version 1 ? 
Edited
5 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search