If Ange quits...who is your choice

If Ange quits...who is your choice

Author
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)Rising Star (872 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Robert Mugabe, Charles Manson and Don Burke would be my three choices.

Don Burke Especially given he is 70 years old and needs some retirement money
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I think Ernie Merrick needs to be advanced as a plausible Socceroo coach if Muscat and Aloisi are being mooted for the job. 
nick1408
nick1408
Amateur
Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)Amateur (708 reputation)

Klinnsman is sniffing around the job apparently
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Would love bielsa as you can tell ange was trying to move us towards that attacking style with 3 at the back and a midfield that can transition quickly. However i heard he didnt get the pay out on his contract from Lille as they said he breached it, so he might bd looking for a bigger buck contract than we can afford. But if we could get him that would be incredible
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Redcarded - 2 Dec 2017 5:13 PM
As much as id like blanc  or de boer i sort of suspect we wouldn't be to afford them unless franky opens up the cheque book. Arnie has got results with sfc but stylistically very different and would mean throwing out much of anges work. Still suspect we might get a journeyman mid level euro coach, just hope though that they are cut from the same cloth as bielsa 

If we are going journeyman mid level euro coach we may as well go with Arnie. I do get the feeling that we may just get Bielsa  Experienced in South America and in Europe. Plays an attacking 3-3-3-1 that transforms quickly between attack and defence and presses aggressively. His teams transitioning between defence and attack and back again is an extension of what we do with Ange. His teams are much quicker in transition while the Socceroos are often ponderous in their attacking build up.

harrycripps
harrycripps
Fan
Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)Fan (56 reputation)

Ernie Merrick 100%
He knows how to control egos
He has knowledge of the players available
He has learned from his mistakes
He knows how to get the best from a player
No brainer
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Beckenbaur hasn't managed in 20 years and is caught up in the corruption around the 2018 WC process. Mourinho? sure, no harm in asking right. Hiddink is retired I thought, he is always welcome after what he did in 2006, but that alone isn't reaon to jump at recruiting him
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

We should never just settle on a national team manager. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

SpongeBobFC - 2 Dec 2017 3:34 PM
Derider - 2 Dec 2017 2:07 PM

I don't want Arnie to leave Sydney but you have to admit that players tend to like/love the guy even though he can come across as a dick.
He's brought through Ryan,Sainsbury,Gersbach and Rogic
He's brought the best out of Vuka and Jurman.
His one outing as NT coach had him managing a team of players who didn't want to be in the heat of Thailand mid season and thought it would be a walk in the park seeing as though they came off a successful WC and hadn't tackled Asia before.
I don't think Arnie is pragmatic he just has a balanced teams built from the back first..........We are now used to Ange's all out attack that everything else looks like parking the bus.

Image result for small fish small pond
Hes still a small fish. 
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro

As much as id like blanc  or de boer i sort of suspect we wouldn't be to afford them unless franky opens up the cheque book. Arnie has got results with sfc but stylistically very different and would mean throwing out much of anges work. Still suspect we might get a journeyman mid level euro coach, just hope though that they are cut from the same cloth as bielsa 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

scubaroo - 2 Dec 2017 1:21 PM

What a strange analogy. Why would anyone watch their partner's shit being flushed down the toilet? 

I think that answers the question... Why would anyone want to watch arnies team.

If arnies in, then everything ange worked for is thrown away.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

What a strange analogy. Why would anyone watch their partner's shit being flushed down the toilet? 

I think everyone's being unfair to Arnold. He's made Sydney FC practically unbeatable, and did wonders with the Mariners. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself on the world stage. He has certainly deserved it. 

I don't want Arnie to leave Sydney but you have to admit that players tend to like/love the guy even though he can come across as a dick.
He's brought through Ryan,Sainsbury,Gersbach and Rogic
He's brought the best out of Vuka and Jurman.
His one outing as NT coach had him managing a team of players who didn't want to be in the heat of Thailand mid season and thought it would be a walk in the park seeing as though they came off a successful WC and hadn't tackled Asia before.
I don't think Arnie is pragmatic he just has a balanced teams built from the back first..........We are now used to Ange's all out attack that everything else looks like parking the bus.

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Tom AUFC - 2 Dec 2017 2:38 PM
Let's be honest here...

Ange wanted to instil a philosophy, an attitude, that lifted our expectations beyond qualifying, surviving, or even progressing beyond the group stage. We need to think big. We need to want to win the World Cup. Ange had this belief, and it passed on to the players. We need a manager crazy enough to believe we can do it.

Yeah he should've stayed on.

Not many managers are going to come in with that mentality. No foreign manager that's for sure.
Tom AUFC
Tom AUFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Let's be honest here...

Ange wanted to instil a philosophy, an attitude, that lifted our expectations beyond qualifying, surviving, or even progressing beyond the group stage. We need to think big. We need to want to win the World Cup. Ange had this belief, and it passed on to the players. We need a manager crazy enough to believe we can do it.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

My wife said last night that a work colleagues husband said that graham arnolds football teams are like watching your partners shit being flushed down the toilet... gets the job done most of the time but its awkward and disgusting.

I think everyone's being unfair to Arnold. He's made Sydney FC practically unbeatable, and did wonders with the Mariners. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself on the world stage. He has certainly deserved it. 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

My wife said last night that a work colleagues husband said that graham arnolds football teams are like watching your partners shit being flushed down the toilet... gets the job done most of the time but its awkward and disgusting.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

frankstoncity83 - 2 Dec 2017 11:33 AM
Kevin Muscat is hungry to coach against our 3 opponents. Especially Peru. We have never headbutted them before; Kevin Muscat has valuable headbutting experience down the tunnel for Millwall. 

I saw the France then my mind wanted Muscat to avenge the spit. 

frankstoncity83
frankstoncity83
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Mick Malthouse considers himself a dark horse for the job; he wants us to die the death of a thousand cuts before we unseat the emperor. He is developing a new tactical football system of using a 9 foot tall former Collingwood thirds ruckman to dominate the midfield and distribute the ball with the head. 
frankstoncity83
frankstoncity83
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Kevin Muscat is hungry to coach against our 3 opponents. Especially Peru. We have never headbutted them before; Kevin Muscat has valuable headbutting experience down the tunnel for Millwall. 
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Does the World Cup draw change anything in terms of coaching appointments? 

I think in terms of securing a high profile coach we would have a better chance, as they could see potential qualification from this group. 

Laurent Blanc vs France? Interesting proposition. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Laurent Blanc has been approached about the vacant head coach roles with the U.S. men's national team and the Australia side bound for next summer's World Cup, his agent has told L'Equipe.

Blanc will be at Friday's World Cup draw in Moscow as a former winner of football's most prestigious prize, and will help draw the names of the 32 teams for the competition's group stage.

Laurent Blanc approached about vacant US Australia jobs - agent

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Sainsbury saying Arnie? Very predictable
Tom AUFC
Tom AUFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

If we're going with an Australian manager, it has to be Arnold. By far the most qualified. He has been in there before, knows how it works, knows what he'll do differently, has gone away and proved himself to quite a degree in our domestic league. I also think he believes in what Ange has created and will want to work with that and build on it, rather than scrapping it and starting again. Safe option in my opinion and would be worth a longer term option.

However, if we're going to go foreign, it has to be someone with a similar philosophy to Ange. That means someone who believes in attacking football, uses similar formations, and isn't scared to throw Australian players into all out attack against the best teams in the world. This will be the best option if we get it right. The risk is likely to be that we'll get some top dog in, their head will be too big to recognise what they've inherited and they'll undo four years of Ange's good work.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Then Ange selected him and he was a first choice Socceroo literally every game he was fit, hardly ever subbed. Shows how poor Holger’s selections were.

Nevertheless, this has actually given me cause for a big rethink - I’ve been firmly of the opinion that Arnie should get the next 4 year cycle after this WC. Now considering he is the father in law of the best player in the team, I’m not so sure.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

scott21 - 30 Nov 2017 8:32 PM
You are bias. He is basically your father-in.-law.

How does him saying this help Arnie? Irregardless of whether he says this or not, Ange is still gone and Arnie is one of the front runners. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

alvn1
alvn1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

if I recall correctly the last foreign coach dropped him for what he perceived as seeming uninterested at training or something along those lines, think he may have misundertood his temperament 
Edited
7 Years Ago by alvn1
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

i don't think its really appropriate for sainsbury to be commenting on this sort of stuff. 
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro

LOL, yeah thought the exact same thing reading that. Wife in his ear to say something to help her dad
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

You are bias. He is basically your father-in.-law.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

SAINSBURY: I WANT AUSTRALIAN COACH TO LEAD THE SOCCEROOS AT WORLD CUP

SHARE 0 COMMENTS
The defender hopes a local candidate is in charge for the green-and-gold's trip to the World Cup and beyond

Socceroos centre-half Trent Sainsbury says he is keen for an Australian to be given the national team job long-term, and believes the World Cup experience shouldn't be handed to a foreign manager.

Football Federation Australia have commenced their search to replace Ange Postecoglou and are widely believed to be favouring an overseas coach to lead the team to Russia, before a local coach assumes the role after next year's showpiece.

However, in the first strong statement by an Socceroos player on the coach hunt, Sainsbury told 20Four that he wants an Australian to take over the role long term, and hinted that his former Central Coast Mariners mentor Graham Arnold would be his choice.

"My preference would definitely be an Australian coach," Sainsbury said.

"I think if they are going to go Aussie they have to go for the long term – this World Cup, next World Cup (Qatar 2022) and the Asian Cup (2023) after that.

"People probably say I’m biased if I said Graham Arnold.

"If they go international, it will just be for the (2018) World Cup – I don’t think they should take it through to the (2019) Asian Cup.

"Why give this experience to a foreign coach when you can give it to an Aussie to have this experience and put that on their CV?"

Trent Sainsbury: I want Australian coach like Graham Arnold to lead the Socceroos at World Cup 2018 in Russia | Goal.com

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search