Qatar to loose World Cup to England or USA?

Qatar to loose World Cup to England or USA?

Author
belgium1
Super Fan
Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Fifa will vote this summer if Qatar can keep the World Cup after new allegations of bribery according to German sources. What do you think?
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Load of crap, the world cup won't be moving from Qatar, if they were going to do it they'd have done it already.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

belgium1 - 25 Feb 2018 2:57 PM
Fifa will vote this summer if Qatar can keep the World Cup after new allegations of bribery according to German sources. What do you think?

I've seen this already in the German press, the source is the fkn Saudi's which means it's a load of shit. Even if that did happen, there is now way Australia would either be deserving, let alone ready, to host a World Cup in just over 4 years.

Viennese Vuck

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 25 Feb 2018 3:05 PM

I've seen this already in the German press, the source is the fkn Saudi's which means it's a load of shit. Even if that did happen, there is now way Australia would either be deserving, let alone ready, to host a World Cup in just over 4 years.

Grain of salt, then. Qatar have matrixed their way around any accusations of bribery and, even though everyone is rightly horrified by their human rights abuses, it seems they've done just enough to address it to get the relevant authorities off their back (provisionally). It'll definitely be played there.

Does anyone know if it's going to be in the summer or have they confirmed a move to december?
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
i dont think anyone was suggesting that we could host it if Qatar is stripped
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Won't happen - FIFA will do a song and dance about a full review, with the outcome to be that Qatar have improved their record dramatically and that the World Cup will go ahead as planned.
belgium1
belgium1
Super Fan
Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)

This is the first time I think there is a change that it could loose the World Cup. Everything in football is now politics and money, Qatar was handed the World Cup because of bribes and a lot of money, but the political situation is changed since the appointment of Qatar.

Saudi Arabia U.A.I and some other countries have closed their borders and holding an embargo towards Qatar. So they rather want the World Cup to go to another country than Qatar.

It is still not to late England and USA could be ready in 1 year, and would it not be great to have a cool beer in England or USA!

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

belgium1 - 25 Feb 2018 3:50 PM
This is the first time I think there is a change that it could loose the World Cup. Everything in football is now politics and money, Qatar was handed the World Cup because of bribes and a lot of money, but the political situation is changed since the appointment of Qatar.Saudi Arabia U.A.I and some other countries have closed their borders and holding an embargo towards Qatar. So they rather want the World Cup to go to another country than Qatar.It is still not to late England and USA could be ready in 1 year, and would it not be great to have a cool beer in England or USA!

It sure would. 

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Just move it to England and get on with it.
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Lose, not loose.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Fact is Australia couldn't even convince Australia to host a world cup, so anyone crying sour grapes that a majority of nations on Earth didn't vote for us is right up the date of the fairies.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

bohemia - 25 Feb 2018 5:35 PM

Fact is Australia couldn't even convince Australia to host a world cup, so anyone crying sour grapes that a majority of nations on Earth didn't vote for us is right up the date of the fairies.

Not that the o.p or the article mentions about a australia. 

England shouldve had it rightly in the first place, for a place like the u.s to host it twice before England is deplorable and would stink just as much as qatar hosting it. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

News is running with it:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/fifa-may-strip-qatar-of-hosting-the-2022-world-cup/news-story/7ecbee86f77e5b4e3c811d2746fa77f0

Old school of journalism considered 3 independent sources fit for print. For News I suppose that's 2 Saudis and a German quoting one of the 2 Saudis. If they quoted both Saudis then that's 4 sources and a walkley.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

vanlassen - 25 Feb 2018 4:14 PM

Lose, not loose.

How's your Flemish and French?
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

quickflick - 25 Feb 2018 6:10 PM

Actually had a friend show me a book in Flemish when I didn't believe her how close it is to english. By no means the same language but with some effort you could get the gist of a page.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I'd be thrilled if it goes to England. Qatar would be an awful experience for fans, as well as taking a shit all over human rights.

It's bad enough that Vladimir Putin's regime is being granted the privilege of hosting a World Cup, despite its gross violations of human rights, violations of other aspects of international law (cough Ukraine) and perverting democratic elections by banning rivals from running for office. FIFA took a dump on all things it should be seeking to promote by giving Russia hosting rights. But Russia then Qatar is deplorable.

Edited
6 Years Ago by quickflick
belgium1
belgium1
Super Fan

or german!

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

quickflick - 25 Feb 2018 6:23 PM
I'd be thrilled if it goes to England. Qatar would be an awful experience for fans, as well as taking a shit all over human rights.

It's bad enough that Vladimir Putin's regime is being granted the privilege of hosting a World Cup, despite its gross violations of human rights, violations of other aspects of international law (cough Ukraine) and perverting democratic elections by banning rivals from running for office. FIFA took a dump on all things it should be seeking to promote by giving Russia hosting rights. But Russia then Qatar is deplorable.

the irony in this statement though lol
alvn1
alvn1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

please England not USA, who wants the world cup at a country where the majority of the population neither know or care that it's even on. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

alvn1 - 25 Feb 2018 6:50 PM
please England not USA, who wants the world cup at a country where the majority of the population neither know or care that it's even on. 

On the other hand, what stimulus does the EPL need that MLS doesn't? The last world cup laid the foundation for the MLS as we know it. This time round with an already established league a world cup could shift the poles of world football.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

JonoMV - 25 Feb 2018 6:42 PM

quickflick - 25 Feb 2018 6:23 PM

the irony in this statement though lol

What irony? I'm assuming you find it ironic to criticise Russia in the same breath as (effectively) praising England. I'm talking about England now, not England when she (or rather Britain) was was misappropriating Ireland, India, huge chunks of Africa and many other places in the world.

I'm very critical of what the UK does today (I'm also equally critical of Australia, the European Union and I'm even more critical of the USA's Trump and Obama Administrations). But frankly it's risible to suggest that the UK's actions today are anywhere near as bad the Russian Federation's current legal and moral transgressions.

Jeremy Corbyn is not barred from contesting the General Election. Jeremy Corbyn is not arrested for spurious reasons. People who identify as gay are not subject to state-sponsored hatred in the UK. The UK has no intention of trying to 'reclaim' the other 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland. Journalists who criticise Theresa May have no need to fear being gunned down in the elevator of their apartment block. HMG and the British Armed Forces do not pass on weaponry to their militia with which they bring down commercial aircraft.

In Russia, the equivalent of all those things has happened recently/is happening now. So giving the Russian Federation hosting rights? Despicable behaviour. Hosting the World Cup is a privilege, not a right. The Russian Federation deserves no privileges whatsoever.

N.B. this is not an attack on Russians. I'm truly indebted to one Russian in particular. And there are plenty who oppose the actions of the Russian Federation. But the 'useful idiocy' of people in the West who indulge in moral relativism to justify the actions of the Kremlin truly beggars belief.
Edited
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

belgium1 - 25 Feb 2018 6:26 PM

or german!

Quite.
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro

quickflick - 25 Feb 2018 7:38 PM
JonoMV - 25 Feb 2018 6:42 PM

What irony? I'm assuming you find it ironic to criticise Russia in the same breath as (effectively) praising England. I'm talking about England now, not England when she (or rather Britain) was was misappropriating Ireland, India, huge chunks of Africa and many other places in the world.

I'm very critical of what the UK does today (I'm also equally critical of Australia, the European Union and I'm even more critical of the USA's Trump and Obama Administrations). But frankly it's risible to suggest that the UK's actions today are anywhere near as bad the Russian Federation's current legal and moral transgressions.

Jeremy Corbyn is not barred from contesting the General Election. Jeremy Corbyn is not arrested for spurious reasons. People who identify as gay are not subject to state-sponsored hatred in the UK. The UK has no intention of trying to 'reclaim' the other 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland. Journalists who criticise Theresa May have no need to fear being gunned down in the elevator of their apartment block. HMG and the British Armed Forces do not pass on weaponry to their militia with which they bring down commercial aircraft.

In Russia, the equivalent of all those things has happened recently/is happening now. So giving the Russian Federation hosting rights? Despicable behaviour. Hosting the World Cup is a privilege, not a right. The Russian Federation deserves no privileges whatsoever.

N.B. this is not an attack on Russians. I'm truly indebted to one Russian in particular. And there are plenty who oppose the actions of the Russian Federation. But the 'useful idiocy' of people in the West who indulge in moral relativism to justify the actions of the Kremlin truly beggars belief.

Some truth mixed with some insane propaganda that you have believed. You are a good lad, I really can't be bothered delving into this on a football forum, but keep reading, keep looking at both sides, as I believe you are intelligent enough to realise no one is good in this and that the west has been extremely hypocritical mixed with the ignorant media reports in regards to Russia. 

Peace :D 

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

JonoMV - 25 Feb 2018 8:06 PM

Some truth mixed with some insane propaganda that you have believed. You are a good lad, I really can't be bothered delving into this on a football forum, but keep reading, keep looking at both sides, as I believe you are intelligent enough to realise no one is good in this and that the west has been extremely hypocritical mixed with the ignorant media reports in regards to Russia. 

Yeh. No sovereign nation that I can think of is absolutely good or bad. There is, however, a line which we're obliged to draw. Punishing states which cross it is how to promote the rule of international law and, more importantly, to protect the individual's rights (which is what matters most).

But I'm afraid there is no propaganda in what I've written in that post, nor are there any mixed truths. It's all quite true. Vladimir Putin's only credible opponent Alexei Navalny has been barred from contesting the election and has also been arrested (by the way, I'm not a fan of Navalny, either). Gay people are subject to state-sponsored hatred in Russia (usually via state-sponsored Orthodox Church). Russia violated Ukrainian sovereignty (yes, there were also crimes on both sides). Anna Politkovskaya, the human rights activist, journalist and author of Putin's Russia, was gunned down in the elevator of her apartment block.

As for the downing of MH17... While nobody can be certain of anything. There are no absolute truths in anything in life (except pure mathematics). The threshold for conviction in our system is 'beyond reasonable doubt'. So I think it's fit to apply that standard here. It's fairly clear that the aircraft was brought down by a BUK missile system. This is Russian. Reliable operational intelligence has it that this could only have been furnished by the Russian Federation and that it was carried out by Russian-backed separatists. Imo, that meets the 'beyond reasonable doubt' threshold.

The complexity here is that Russia is complex in ways that most in the West (myself included) cannot comprehend. Whereas we have a tradition of constitutions and elections, Russia does not. Since October 1917, leadership in Russia has been gained, not by electoral support, but by gangs having guns in the right places and taking out their rivals. To the Russian people (although not to all Russian people), constitutions and human rights don't have the sort of weight they do here. What matters most to many Russian people is simply that the state does a half-decent job for the majority, that the state is powerful and that Russia's standing in the world is strong. As such, after the break up of the Soviet Union, with the country in a shambolic state and the country's resources up for grabs, Putin had no easy job. It was simply one particular gang being more successful in their criminal enterprises than their rivals.

That's my best attempt to paint a picture of the complexity in one paragraph. But it is beyond contempt to excuse the criminality and immorality of the Russian Federation today. And that's what giving Russia World Cup hosting rights amounts to.

Peace!
Edited
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Will not happen. If Qatar sue FIFA it would sink the whole lot. clickbait
"Since October 1917, leadership in Russia has been gained, not by electoral support, but by gangs having guns in the right places and taking out their rivals." ....I know arguing history on a football forum will go nowhere, but not how i'd describe it. More like have the right clique and the right connections gets you to the top, and then you spend the rest of the time eliminating threats to your power. Stalin waited until he was well and truly ensconced in power before unleashing purges, he used the troika and Kamanev and Zinoviev to consolidate his power and eliminate substantial threats, until they weren't needed and then eliminated them as well. Khrushchev had Beria rightly arrested after Stalins death, not before. For this reason Russian politics is full of politicians forming cliques that enable each other to rise to the top, Yeltsin had his in fact he had a clique of bankers he used and who used him, Putin is no different with his clique. 
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Redcarded - 25 Feb 2018 9:19 PM
Will not happen. If Qatar sue FIFA it would sink the whole lot. clickbait
"Since October 1917, leadership in Russia has been gained, not by electoral support, but by gangs having guns in the right places and taking out their rivals." ....I know arguing history on a football forum will go nowhere, but not how i'd describe it. More like have the right clique and the right connections gets you to the top, and then you spend the rest of the time eliminating threats to your power. Stalin waited until he was well and truly ensconced in power before unleashing purges, he used the troika and Kamanev and Zinoviev to consolidate his power and eliminate substantial threats, until they weren't needed and then eliminated them as well. Khrushchev had Beria rightly arrested after Stalins death, not before. For this reason Russian politics is full of politicians forming cliques that enable each other to rise to the top, Yeltsin had his in fact he had a clique of bankers he used and who used him, Putin is no different with his clique. 

That's a fair description about the importance of cliques (and power bases). Sorry, I oversimplified it massively. I didn't labour the point extensively for the sake of not writing a thesis.

Nevertheless, having guns in the right place is a metaphor for cliques. When I wrote of gangs, I was getting at cliques. Guns are power (in Russia). You need gangs with guns in the right place. You need your clique in a position of power (which is gained by having the guns). Then as you got at, allies who might challenge your power get purged when you're in a position do so. Hence, ex-KGB people rising to the top (and/or getting eliminated). The point is that, horribly, much is still the same in Russia with power dynamics, now, as it was then.

Edited
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

JonoMV - 25 Feb 2018 8:06 PM

Fuck another alternative trendy type sticking up for Russia.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You'd think USA more likely than England as 2018 is already in Europe, and FIFA won't want same federation to have 2 in a row.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
But too late now I think. Qatar would sue the pants off FIFA for the amount they’ve already invested in stadiums etc
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Bowden - 25 Feb 2018 10:16 PM
But too late now I think. Qatar would sue the pants off FIFA for the amount they’ve already invested in stadiums etc

If they didn't factor in the costs and benefits of the buildings and infrastructure for the EUL of the assets then they can rightly fk off with interest
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search