ABC Chart of the day: Australians rate the most boring sport to watch

ABC Chart of the day: Australians rate the most boring sport to watch

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
It's the off season, so 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-11/chart-of-the-day-boring-sports/9749146

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Cycling second bottom just shows the simple mindedness of the surveyees to start with and their general inability to cope with anything too complicated. I'm surprised the Sokkah ranked as high as it did tbh.
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Looks like it was done in Melbourne while the Commonwealth Games were on.

Shit survey containing nothing useful.

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

swimming? lol people watch it for like 30mins once every 4 years? 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

some strange results there
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Tennis and Swimming have very broad appeal amongst both genders and are popular in all states. I don’t think I’ve met many people who hate watching them.

Keep in mind though that we just had Swimming at the Commonweath games, and the Australian Open just had two great finals in a row with Federer beating Cilic and Nadal in 5-set matches. That might skew it a bit.
Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Perception is everything. Australians have been traditionally led to believe through powerful media outlets that one sport is more exciting than another, don't buy too much into this. If horse shoe throwing suddenly got extensive sponsorship and free to air people would be saying what a great sport it is.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I find Rugby Union boring as batshit.   
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Pretty understandable if you ask me

Tennis:
Image result for hot female tennis player

Swimming:
Related image

Gymnastics:
Image result for hot female gymnast games

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Genuinely surprised that football is sitting comfortably in the middle given the apparent hostility towards the sport in this country. Whats even more surprising is where rugby union placed....geez that sport is in a worse state than football in this country. Kinda sad that it and test cricket (the traditional and “real” versions of the sport) are horribly behind the other versions of their sports. Its also pretty surprising that rugby union and boxing are so low when the average Australian (or at least the sports fan in this country) seems to have a hard-on for “macho” sports consisting of big men running into each other and punching each other.    

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

The title should be changed to what Melbournians think are exciting and boring sports shortly after the Australian tennis open and Commonwealth games.
It's strange that basketball rates higher than NRL,yet on most metrics NRL kills Basketball.
I also find it very hard to believe Sydney and Brisbane people would rate NRL lower in excitement than AFL.How many watch State of Origin games again?2 million?
I wonder if a similar survey taken at a different time of the year would give the same results.

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 11 May 2018 2:49 PM
The title should be changed to what Melbournians think are exciting and boring sports shortly after the Australian tennis open and Commonwealth games.It's strange that basketball rates higher than NRL,yet on most metrics NRL kills Basketball.I also find it very hard to believe Sydney and Brisbane people would rate NRL lower in excitement than AFL.How many watch State of Origin games again?2 million?I wonder if a similar survey taken at a different time of the year would give the same results.

then again Basketball has the same split loyalty and hostility as football does, you would have to combine the NBA only watchers, NBL only watchers and all basketball watchers to show that it beats the NRL 

Also no one Aus really wants to watch ESL unlike NBA and EPL

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Savic - 11 May 2018 11:56 AM
Cycling second bottom just shows the simple mindedness of the surveyees to start with and their general inability to cope with anything too complicated. I'm surprised the Sokkah ranked as high as it did tbh.

Yeah I love watching hours upon hours of cycling ... biggest loss for me from moving away from Foxtel was losing Eurosport. My wife doesn't feel the same way though.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

jas88 - 11 May 2018 12:20 PM
swimming? lol people watch it for like 30mins once every 4 years? 

I think swimming is popular because Australia is good at it ... if we were shit no doubt we'd view it as boring. Personally I enjoy swimming but boring as bad shit to watch ... one of the worse spectator sports around, all you can see is a bobbing head most the time.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Just goes to show we are all different. Personally, I find Tennis more boring than watching paint dry, but it's the only sport my wife likes to watch.

There is a sort of trend I pick up from the graph and it actually ties in with what I've thought and said for a long time. Australians generally seem to like watching sports that are 'stop-start' in nature, and that have a short burst of action, before a break. eg Tennis, AFL, NRL, T20. Most of these also have a 'mini-climax' at quite short intervals. eg point/game/set won in tennis, score in AFL/NRL, big hit/wicket in T20. Even gymnastics, swimming and athletics are generally shorter events before there is a finish of the race or routine and a chance to move on to the next race/routine.

it seems the other sports that you have more 'flow' or sustained action are not as popular eg. Football, Cycling, Rugby union with continuous phases.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

^ rugby union has more flow to it?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

SWandP - 11 May 2018 12:19 PM
Looks like it was done in Melbourne while the Commonwealth Games were on.

Shit survey containing nothing useful.

"Poll done in January"
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

how is horse racing a sport?

or car racing?

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

inala brah - 11 May 2018 5:04 PM
how is horse racing a sport?

or car racing?

Why wouldn't they be?
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Gyfox - 11 May 2018 4:57 PM
SWandP - 11 May 2018 12:19 PM

"Poll done in January"

If it been done after Commonwealth Games , Womens Beach Volleyball would be a shoe in

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

City Sam - 11 May 2018 5:09 PM
inala brah - 11 May 2018 5:04 PM

Why wouldn't they be?

why would they be?

libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
yeah, genuinely surprised how well sockah rated, but the motive here is clear from the afl bitch that is "our abc"
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

inala brah - 11 May 2018 5:51 PM
City Sam - 11 May 2018 5:09 PM

why would they be?

Because they are sports.

"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
libel - 11 May 2018 5:59 PM
yeah, genuinely surprised how well sockah rated, but the motive here is clear from the afl bitch that is "our abc"

The problem for football is the lack of breaks in play to pop in an ad break, eg: Cricket every over, AFL each 6 pointer and quarter time, NRL TRY, more people would have watched by now if it was pushed by Free to Air many years ago, instead the FTA news pushed the violent tribalism associated  with migrant backed clubs. Stigma remains attached till they got the A-League, but still FTA won't push it because there is no where to pop in an ad and the built in AFL/NRL/Cricket following culture is hard to crack 
bettega
bettega
World Class

StiflersMom - 11 May 2018 6:12 PM
libel - 11 May 2018 5:59 PM
yeh
The problem for football is the lack of breaks in play to pop in an ad break, eg: Cricket every over, AFL each 6 pointer and quarter time, NRL TRY, more people would have watched by now if it was pushed by Free to Air many years ago, instead the FTA news pushed the violent tribalism associated  with migrant backed clubs. Stigma remains attached till they got the A-League, but still FTA won't push it because there is no where to pop in an ad and the built in AFL/NRL/Cricket following culture is hard to crack 

yeh, we've probably now missed that boat (FTA)
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro

bettega - 11 May 2018 7:30 PM
StiflersMom - 11 May 2018 6:12 PM

yeh, we've probably now missed that boat (FTA)

Thankfully FTA is becoming less and less relevant as other affordable methods emerge. Having one A-League game broadcast live on Youtube per week in the future would be a fantastic. Just put the Fox Sports feed on an official verified A-League livestream channel and let it be accessed internationally (no geoblocking). Do this once a week and it becomes a tradition far better than the FTA arrangement. And having an A-League or general Australian football app version of Optus Sport or Bein Sports Connect would be massive too, much better reach than being locked behind the Foxtel paywall. 

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

I listen & watch the ABC news and as most of their "other than news programmes" are so far above the crap that the commercial station's screen, those as well. But, as for a chart like this, I couldn't give a shit. I watch what I enjoy. However, I'm positive that if football got the saturation coverage that AFL, cricket and I'm sure NRL get it would have much healthier "sofa surfers" numbers than it does now. ( I reckon I've seen Nic Natenuee "tackle" about 50x already it just sneaks in everywhere in the southern states.)

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

City Sam - 11 May 2018 6:01 PM
inala brah - 11 May 2018 5:51 PM

Because they are sports.

"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

so computer games are sports then as well

tetris should be on the list. easily the most entertaining sport to watch. second is fruit ninja.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class

inala brah - 13 May 2018 12:14 PM
City Sam - 11 May 2018 6:01 PM

so computer games are sports then as well

tetris should be on the list. easily the most entertaining sport to watch. second is fruit ninja.

And the most ignorant comment of the day goes to you. You do know F1 drivers face more physical exertion than pretty much any other sport right? They need to be supremely fit, much more endurance ability required than football players that is for sure.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

City Sam - 13 May 2018 12:24 PM
inala brah - 13 May 2018 12:14 PM

And the most ignorant comment of the day goes to you. You do know F1 drivers face more physical exertion than pretty much any other sport right? They need to be supremely fit, much more endurance ability required than football players that is for sure.

i think that award goes to you son.  "involving physical exertion" -  not "involving more physical exertion than pretty much any other sport right".  it was the definition you selected.

have you ever touched an F1 steering wheel?  it's harder to press the R3 button on a PS4 controller than to turn that thing.  

and endurance?  you've also never pulled an all nighter smashing out command and conquer online. there are people pissing in bottles right now in internet halls so that their sims dont die.  

if F1 and horse beating is sport, then so is SIMS.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search